Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 16:23   #1666
RJM
BHPian

Re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

I'm sure all GV owners will agree that parts are not that easily available for GV and sometimes wait is quite long and expensive. I was wondering if there are used parts available from accidental grand vitara or salvages ones.

Suggestions would be welcome.
Old 13th May 2023, 08:55   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Thanks @Turbanator !
Sounds good. I will send them an email or drop in to their regional office if possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Clutch was overhauled during 80k service. It has run close to 50k post that. I will get it checked to know the condition.
Same with suspension. After getting it checked, will decide on what all needs to be replaced. Car feels unsettled when going over rumble stripcs or small speed breakers with clunky sound.
Between, what was the damage done going for 'the OLD MAN EMU' setup?

You can DM me your invoice. I will check with RTO agent if that helps. Thanks a lot.

Drive Safe and have fun
HTC
Congratulations on your purchase of the GV. If you are around the south (sarjapur road/bellandur) area, then i can recommend my mechanic to you.He is a GV expert.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...g%2F11ry5gr656
Old 15th May 2023, 14:23   #1668
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Congratulations on your purchase of the GV. If you are around the south (sarjapur road/bellandur) area, then i can recommend my mechanic to you.He is a GV expert.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...g%2F11ry5gr656
Thanks @adityasiera!
I bought it in October '22, got re-reg done in March '23. Have ran it around 5k kms. Still getting hang of switching from turbo diesel to NA petrol.

I am from south bangalore (Kanakapura road). Through a known aquitance, have found one service center who is supposed to be good with GV's in south bangalore. Yet to take the GV there for general checkup and small fixes.

Please DM me the details of your mech. It will be handy.

cheers
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-whatsapp-image-20230515-14.20.16.jpeg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-whatsapp-image-20230515-14.20.22.jpeg  

HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:21   #1669
HTC
BANNED

Quick update on GV2.0.

Applied for FC renewal in Mysore RTO. Karnataka Re-Registration was already done. Had collected the new RC card in my name in March. Chasis# correction on RC book was pending. When I pointed out that the incorrect Chasis# is not corrected in the new RC card, the RTO staff told me that they can do it only after the vehicle details are reflected in KA RTO database after KA registration. They asked to give a letter requesting correction of chasis# in RC. The lady staff was very supportive and suggested to get the FC/correction together to avoid multiple visits to RTO and asked to come a month before FC expiry. Since FC was expiring in June end, I went to RTO in June 1st week and submitted requests for three things,
  1. Chasis# correction RC card (Form 29, INR 300 fee)
  2. New KA registration number allotment ( hand written request letter, INR 600 fee)
  3. FC Renewal ( Form 25, INR 5000 fee)

All the applications needs to be reviewed by superindendent and signed for moving to next steps ( fee payment/inspection etc). Superindendent was not aggreeing to sign all three together as RC correction was to be done first and then FC renew. After some requesting ( read begging lol), he signed. Once signed, I ran to fee counter. Paid fee in cash (only 'cash' accepted at RTO counter) and waited for inspecting officer. while inspection, I told him about the chasis# correction as well and he was fine with it. He also exclaimed "Which car is this? Never seen this before. Doesnt look like 15 year old car etc". I had to tell him its a CBU from JAPAN. Post inspecting, another 30 mins of work inside the RTO office to get the data entered in their system and collect the acknowledgement.

Keep in mind that no agent was used, no influence/contacts and most importantly NO BRIBE. A known agent had quoted three thousand for just FC renew. I would have gone through him if it was just FC. Since chasis# correction was there and I had built good rapport with the RTO staff already during re-registration (done myself) thought will get it done myself avoiding agent. Ended by as good call finally. Though I was asked to purchase some stamps worth 300/- as a contribution to armed forces, I didnt complain and paid happlily. Took around 2 hours in RTO. Was told, it will take 2 weeks to get my new RC.

Attaching the fee paid in Mysore (KA) RTO for benefit of others.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-gv-fee.jpg  

HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:48   #1670
HTC
BANNED

Needed 2 old tyres to be replaced. Front 2 tyres are MRF wanderer AT -235 70 R16(2021 make). So decided to go with same for rear aswell.

Called few MRF dealers and found prices to be consistant at 7500/- per tyre. Madhus quoted 7600/-. Then just like that called a MRF exclusive tyre shop on JC road (Jamathis Tyre Sales & Service Private Limited). He said 7100/- per tyre. Was surprised. Went there yesterday and realized it is kind of super store and all other small tyre shops come and buy from them in bulk.

The salesman was super busy. Got 2 2023 April manufactured tyres and two valves for 14300/-. Didnt opt for fitting and alignment there. Will get it done near my place.

Cheers,
HTC
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20230609_094809.jpg  

HTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 09:38   #1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer! View Post
It was an amazing connect and met Mr.Sridhar over the weekend gone. He was very polite and treated me well, and the connect went for about half of the day.
Very patiently he explained about the GV's nature and issues he had faced and how he handled them with his car. He drove my car to assess the issue i was facing and i drove his car to get a feel and cross reference on the drive experience on the highway. Am summarizing the learning & observation:
Friends, Following is the update on the GV servicing (Also had a chat with Mr.Sridhar and took his inputs). Servicing done at authorized MASS and job was done well.
1.Engine Oil changed to Shell Fully Synthetic (5W40): After change the engine is very smooth as the earlier oil was 5W30 semi-synthetic.
2.Coolant (SG) Non Amine - changed.
3.Brake Fluid GC1500AA - changed.
4.Brakes checked and Caliper serviced and calibrated.
5.Automatic Transmission (AT) Oil - changed: Part Code 99000-22810 AT OIL (5D06)
6.AC Compressor Oil: DENSO8(R134A) - Changed and AC GAS charged.
7.Throttle Body cleaned.
8.Changed the spark plugs to Iridium: Honda make directly imported from Japan got through a local dealer. Performance is good and firing is much smoother.
Following two were not readily not available. Ordered and got them in a week.
9.Cabin Air Filter - changed. Part Code: 95861-64J10.
10.Right Indicator lamp went faulty - Changed. Part Code: 36410-63J02.

Performance of GV now is much smoother and and love to ride this car..

Would like to do the following:
1.Engine Air Filter: Change it to K&N 33-2361 the price in Amazon.in is quite high and please share any sourcing points for a nominal price.
2.OEM audio head unit: Change it to Infotainment with CarPlay and Andriod Auto with Bluetooth and reverse camera support (at Pune). Any suggestions on systems and dealers at Pune, please share.

Thanks guys, Have a great day!

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-atoil.jpeg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-atoil-partcode.jpeg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-cabin-air-filter.jpeg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-cabin-air-filter-partcode.jpeg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-right-indicator.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th June 2023 at 10:05.
Old 29th June 2023, 12:40   #1672

Re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this. While at a garage getting some work done for my Gypsy here in Bangalore, I found this discarded Grand Vitara. This is now being moved away for scrapping I'm given to understand. This seemed to have been used for rallies. Anyone looking for parts, especially exterior trims etc, which is difficult to source(I guess) may be interested. Anyone in case keen on cannibalizing parts can DM me and I shall share the garage owner's number.
Hi, Can you please share the contact details of the Garage Owner, as i need few trims to be replaced.
Old 29th June 2023, 20:31   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
1.Engine Air Filter: Change it to K&N 33-2361 the price in Amazon.in is quite high and please share any sourcing points for a nominal price.
2.OEM audio head unit: Change it to Infotainment with CarPlay and Andriod Auto with Bluetooth and reverse camera support (at Pune). Any suggestions on systems and dealers at Pune, please share.

Thanks guys, Have a great day!
I had bought the K&N in 2018, if I remember correctly. Price was around 7k+.
So Amazon price for the same of 9300 is ok.

There is a shortage of good infotainement systems in the market. I find that Blaupunkt is good value for money. Mine is the most basic model which I purchased in 2019 online and installed myself. It cost me around 10k all total.
Poona Motors in East Street Camp in well regarded. But just about any dealer will do. Preferably get a dealer near your house so that any follow up is easier. And you need to bargain a lot with all of them. Ensure that they use a SX4 Din wiring adaptor and do not splice wires.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 00:14   #1674
BHPian

I recently had pioneer 5450 headunit put in with a metra plate. Works with steering controls and support both Android Auto and CarPlay and supports reverse camera. Has been rock solid for me so far. I have the photographs a few posts up. Not sure how to link to that post directly

Quote:

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd July 2023 at 11:17. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:50   #1675
BHPian

Hello

Could any of you help me with an invoice for a 2008 Vitara , my earstwhile GV is with a friend in Kerala , and he is getting it re registered to KL from DL

The RTO is insisting for an invoice .

Pls help !
Old 7th July 2023, 17:08   #1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If I recall correctly, the OEM battery was only 45AH. I upgraded to 65AH because I was hoping to install a winch, I was very active in offroading scene then. After that I just to stuck 65AH, because that is what I had before.
Hi Samurai.. I have a similar issue, and seek your feedback.

The battery installed in my car is 68AH and am planning to replace with a new one. Am not sure i should go for 45AH or 68AH. (You are right, the OEM manual says battery 45AH).
As you have installed 65AH, please share your feedback. Did you face any issue with alternator or any other issue with the electrical circuits and components.

Also seeking BHPians to share their feedback if they came across a similar issue and how it was tackled?

Have a great day !
Old 7th July 2023, 18:36   #1677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As you have installed 65AH, please share your feedback. Did you face any issue with alternator or any other issue with the electrical circuits and components.
Zero issues, I can leave it untouched for 3 weeks in bangalore every month, and yet it starts at first crank. It has been lasting 5 years every time. It is in the 16 year now.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 16:51   #1678
HTC
BANNED

Update on my GV.

Since I picked up a 'Inno' japanese brand roof rack in TBHP classified, I am trying DIY approach to build cross bars for mounting it.

Since Vitara comes with fixed points for roof rack mounts, did some googling and found various ways people build simple and effective roof racks using struts channels.

Thule's Rapid 753 system comprising mounts and crossbar costs 40k approximately. Since it is specific to fixed point type, decided not to go for it.

Here is the WIP solution (pic). Still lot of improvisation needs to be done. Will post details of things used once final setup is done.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20230727_183016.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20230728_094151.jpg  

Old 30th July 2023, 12:45   #1679
RJM
BHPian

Gentlemen,

by 2007 GV needs a new condenser, can any one suggest a solution, Im open to preowned one or the one from scrap vehicle,

basically the AC starts cooling and then after 5 minutes stops cooling, if i turn off the ac and the turn back on then again it starts cooling and eventually stops again. i got it to authorized Maruti showroom and they have asked for a replacement of condenser.

Best Regards,
Old 9th August 2023, 08:18   #1680
Team-BHP Support

Re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Out of the 12 cars I have owned since 22 years, this is the first car I have driven for 1 lakh Kms. It is also the most reliable car I have ever owned, with zero breakdowns in almost 8 years, despite the bad terrain it regularly encounters. It will complete 8 years in November.
And 8 more years later, Grand Vitara is still chugging along and recently hit 170000 when I was driving on Shiradi ghat. I stopped and took a quick snap. Sorry about the dust. Has been cleaned since.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pxl_20230727_085631305.jpg

Few days later I got a call from Udupi MASS. We all know how workshops push for regular service.

Her: Sir, your Grand Vitara is up for service. (they have finally stopped calling it Brezza)
Me: Ah, ok. I'll bring it in today or tomorrow.
Her: Great, what is the odometer reading?
Me: It is slightly above 170K.
Her: Oh, the next service should be at 172K. When will you reach that?
Me: Hmm, may be next month...
Her: Ok, then let's wait till next month. I will call again next month.
Me: Um, oooook.

That was strange, and refreshingly honest.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed