Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 23:41   #211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Samurai san - your GV thread has been silent too long?!!
Well, that's because GV ownership is quite uneventful, nothing much happens unless you make it happen. Not done any long trip recently on GV. Besides, CJ340 is hogging all the limelight.

But then again, when I do go around in GV, it generally doesn't get mentioned in this thread. So let me list the trips done on GV in reverse chronological order. Readers will get an idea what GV can do or where it can go.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...then-some.html (River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...nd-vitara.html (A Family trip to the beach in the Grand Vitara)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...-otr-meet.html (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...goes-sour.html (Birthday off-roading bash on Grand Vitara goes sour...)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ayanagara.html (Hampi: Visiting the Forgotten Empire of Vijayanagara)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...reen-dale.html (Unexpected offroading at Chikmagalur Coffee Estate (Green Dale))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...lur-belur.html (A long weekend trip to Chikmagalur and Belur)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ip-agumbe.html (The running-in trip to Agumbe)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...nd-vitara.html (First off-roading with Grand Vitara)
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:15   #212
Team-BHP Support

This month the GV completed 2 years, got out of warranty too while recording only 17K on the odo. This is the first car in India I owned that gave as much uneventful ownership as my eariler ownership of Acura 3.2TL, although GV underwent amazing amount of abuse unlike the Acura.

My GV has not really seen good roads, except briefly in Goa. You could say it was driven 99% of the time in bad roads, and really bad roads. While the GV has managed to survive them without a squeek, it has taken a toll on the stock tyres Geolandar H/T.

Unlike many tyre experts here, I am incapable of predicting the life of the tyre. I know some of you guys can look at a tyre and say it has 23% life left or good enough for 12,000kms more, etc. But I can't. Besides, I don't think it can be easily predicted for bad roads. I've had a few punctures, even a side-wall damage on one tyre. Right now front left tyre has a puncture, it keeps losing air, got to get it fixed this week. Meanwhile, one of the Geolandar AT-S on my CJ340 has a big screw stuck on it since October, but it ain't losing any air. So I am thinking whether to switch all the GV tyres to Geolandar AT-S. Highway tyres get chewed up very fast on the local roads.

This is the state of 4 tyres I have, notice the cuts and bruises on the tyre. The tyre with sidewall damage is the spare, I didn't shoot it.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p1010535.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p1010536.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p1010537.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p1010538.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 10:25   #213
Team-BHP Support

Did you try the coin test Samurai. It is difficult to comment as one cannot make out the exact depth with pictures.

The tyre does look abused though with lots of chips and small cuts.

I think the AT-S would make sense for you. However on smooth roads you will get some tyre noise in the cabin.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:39   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai I put Michelin LTX/AT when odo was around 70K. Now even after running 35000kms there is a lot of life left in them.

On the flip side the tyre is of harder compound than the OE Yokos which results is harsh ride.

Can you put up the picture of TWI area of the tyre. At 17000km running the tyre should be still having another 10~15k kms life in them.
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:50   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think the AT-S would make sense for you. However on smooth roads you will get some tyre noise in the cabin.
I don't think I am in any danger of encountering smooth roads in near future.

Quote:
Can you put up the picture of TWI area of the tyre. At 17000km running the tyre should be still having another 10~15k kms life in them.
The TWI is not yet visible, but then the wear & tear is different here. I can't count tyre life in normal sense.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:08   #216
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the tires have not worn evenly. I mean, one tire has more wear than another.
As for bad roads, if you want a durable strong tire, and All Terrain(as in AT sense) is not really needed you can go for bridge tires like BFG Long Trail TA Tour, MRF Wanderer AT or the Apollo Hawkz R/T or AT
However I think the biggest problem for you is size.
with 235/70R16 I suspect you will be looking at a tire much larger in diameter than the original design.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:24   #217
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, first tyre has worn lot more than others, it will fail the 3mm tread test. It must have been in the front left, which receives most hits on the road.

What tyre can withstand damaged tar roads to a much higher degree? Forget Indian make, they will make the ride harsh and turning much harder. I remember the dramatic difference when I moved from Apollo Storm AT to Geolandar AT-S. Besides, even Apollo Storm got chewed up like crazy.

Trouble is I can't change one tyre at a time. A full-time 4x4 needs same size tyres. And I can't really get 225/70R16 tyres in India. So I am looking at 235/70R16 for now, it will be either Michelin LTX AT2 or Geolandar AT-S.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:42   #218
Team-BHP Support

For damaged Tar roads, go for a bridge Tire, like BF Goodrich Longtrail TA tour. This is a rugged on road tire, not AT like All terrain TA/KO, and costs around 1000rs less than the AT Yokohama or Continentals
Old 24th November 2009, 09:33   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: Why would front left get worn more?
Old 27th November 2009, 14:23   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Samurai: Why would front left get worn more?
Where I live we mostly have narrow 2 lane roads without divider. And the edges of roads get broken very early, even on relatively good roads. Therefore the left front tyre keeps falling into such crevices, there by suffering lot more damage than other tyres. The left rear tyre has lot less load and therefore relatively less affected.

Ok, I finally did the coin test and TWI check today with photograph.

First the coin test on 4 tyres, the hand belongs to my office boy (or man, he is 30).

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276222.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276223.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276224.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276225.jpg

It is obvious that the tread is less than the minimum depth of 3mm, it is more like 2mm or less in each tyre. And the spare tyre has a side wall puncture. In other words, I need to change all 5 tyres ASAP.

If some of you are wondering what is the ideal depth, check out the same coin test on the new tyres on my Jeep.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276227.jpg

Convinced?

Now regarding the TWI, I got this from one tyre only, this is hard to photograph.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b276229.jpg

The TWI band is visible, and almost closing in on the outer part of the tread.

Imagine this happening in just 17.5K of driving, says a lot about the local roads and how I drive on them.

Now is the time to do some type shopping...
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 14:42   #221
Team-BHP Support

No need to think twice, time to change all 5 and stick to a 5k kms rotation schedule. I feel if the rotation was done on time you could have got some more life from all 5 or 4 tires. By rotation i mean x pattern and not I.

Why dont you drive down to BLR and lets do some tire shopping, we will call Rudra and Vidyuth and have some fun
Old 27th November 2009, 14:54   #222
Team-BHP Support

The rotation was done regularly Jaggu, but the OE tyre has very less life. The road conditions in my area reduced it even further.

Check the reviews on this tyre: TireRack.com Tire Reviews
Old 27th November 2009, 15:02   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai - Agree with you OE Yoko's are very soft and have low life. OTOH Michellin AT are hard and have give body a bit of rattle.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:04   #224
Team-BHP Support

This is the first OE part (tyres) I am changing in my two years of GV ownership.

PS: I also changed plastic skid plates with aluminium skid plates, but that was optional.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:35   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Again @Samurai: When do we get view of the new skid plates?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks