Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 10:36   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai - did you change a tyre recently ? After your last drive ?
Old 9th November 2010, 11:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

i guess it is the rear brake fouling - you can hammer a bit on the rear drums(???) and see it it frees them.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:32   #273
Team-BHP Support

The tyres are 12K old already, and the sound was from the front.

Ok, 1.5 hours at Solar automobiles and the problem is solved.

The problem was with the rusty brake pads. After driving 400kms in dust and rain, I parked the GV for 15 days. It was getting cleaned on spot, but there was no pressure wash.

This is how 3 of the pads looked when they opened it. Only one was clean.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_0017.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_0018.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_0023.jpg

While it was parked, the disk portion which was between the pads was rusted on both wheels.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_0021.jpg

As I drove, every time that rusted portion passed through the pads, I got the duduk sound. Since the problem magnified upon slight braking, I had zeroed in on the brakes by the time I reached Solar. The sound had come down since morning, but it was still evident when I gave trial to the SA at Solar. They started working on it right away.

They opened it, saw the problem, sanded the disk and pads, and put it back together. The problem went away.

Yeah, the pads are in bad shape. They say even disks may have to be replaced. What do you guys think? Pads need to be replaced? Disks need to be replaced?

Meanwhile I will be continuing my journey today as scheduled. Many thanks to Solar for working on it so fast.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:41   #274
BHPian

Sharath,

Glad to hear the problem is resolved, but how did the other brake-pad not rust?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th November 2010 at 12:42.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:15   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO I do not think you need to replace pads. A high speed drive and things should be looking just fine.
Old 11th November 2010, 02:09   #276
BHPian

Sorry saw this late, but I go to Mandovi in JP Nagar (Bannerghatta road). Have PM'd you SA's name and number.
Old 11th November 2010, 09:16   #277
Team-BHP Support

Thanks oldmonk, that is pretty far for me though.
Old 11th November 2010, 10:08   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, the pads are in bad shape. They say even disks may have to be replaced. What do you guys think? Pads need to be replaced? Disks need to be replaced?
Samurai, the pads look ok to me as far as the pics go. Substantial lining thickness still remains on the pads. The discs appear ok too, except for traces of rust, which is normal in a high-humidity coastal area. Worst case scenario, if the noise reappears, you might want to turn the discs on a lathe and shave off about 0.2-0.3 mm. Most discs are usually good to be turned 3 times before they become too thin and need to be changed.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:36   #279
Team-BHP Support

Ok the pictures helped alot, i think you just need a thorough cleaning and if required remove the disc and get it turned in a lathe. Standard job which any MASS will be aware off.

One question though, when was the last time the brakes were overhauled? With your kind of running, i suggest you enforce a clean up every 10k, even if the MASS says No to it.
Old 11th November 2010, 22:15   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Refacing in high humidity area or during monsoons will result in rust on surface in any case. Even if you park your car over night after a long high speed drive you can see rust spots.

So I would suggest just drive on.
Old 11th November 2010, 23:17   #281
Team-BHP Support

When I brake suddenly, every once in a while I get a krriiikk sound, as if the disc is slipping, probably where that stubborn rust is seen.

Anyway, soon I have to visit local MASS to fix that left mirror. Will get the disc/pad thorough cleaned.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:43   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Rust on discs

@Samurai: I took the picture below yesterday. This is from i20 driven by my son. The car has been parked for last two days only and it had drizzled yesterday morning.

You can see instant rust starting. This is mainly due to the fact that the disc is "surfaced" by brake pads and is susceptible to rust. We also see similar in machined parts during manufacturing and that is why right after machining the parts are dipped in anti-rust oil.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-photo088.jpg

From what you have posted it could be that the portion of disc trapped between the pads while car was parked for a long time just after passing through slush/puddle.

Last edited by sudev : 17th November 2010 at 10:54.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:35   #283
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Sudev, this helps me understand that this is not really a big deal after all. I haven't seen any problem since last week.

Meanwhile I got the mirror fixed. The outer cover and mirror + painting of the outer cost me Rs.2200 total. The crack in the mirror assembly still exists, that can't be fixed unless I change the entire mirror assembly.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:08   #284
Team-BHP Support

Samurai more than the rusting on the disc (which happens in all cast iron parts), i would be worried about the scarring of the pads. Its a clear sign that muck was stuck between the pad and the disc for quite sometime. I am pretty sure this was not from highway runs, looks more like one of the offroading sessions that got the muck in. Hence i asked you when was the last you overhauled your brakes?? Inspite of driving in BLR roads and decent highways, i ensure i get them cleaned up and greased every 10k kms on my swift. Touch wood my car brakes have been working well and still running on OE pads at 50k kms.

I would also suggest you to clean up the wheel wells and disc with pressurized water after your otr and heavy rain drives from udupi (since the roads are bad), to avoid such issues in future. A decent pressure garden hose system is good enough.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:31   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its a clear sign that muck was stuck between the pad and the disc for quite sometime. I am pretty sure this was not from highway runs, looks more like one of the offroading sessions that got the muck in.
Every trip to and back from Bangalore is a muck fest thanks to the crappy roads and never ending rains. And there may have been couple occasions where I didn't get pressure wash after the beach drive.

It gets thorough wash in Manipal regularly, but not so much in Bangalore.

Most Viewed