Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 17:02   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
........One friend of mine, who bought a 2L Manual, reported 15kmpl on a long distance drive (full tank basis).
I am going on a longish drive and will report the figures next week.

I guess the 2.4L will also give similar results as it is a better engine.
I recently met a 2.0 MT GV owner. He was all praise for the vehicle. Said the same what Sudev Sir and Samurai San have been saying about the easy and reasonably priced spares.

He said his FE was 6kmpl and that was the only -ve he could talk about however he didnt bother since he used it only over weekends. He said during any offroading stuff, the FE dips to 3kmpl

So when your friend said 15kmpl, i was a bit surprised.

On another note, i checked a GV for sale and drove it for the first time. Its definitely bigger than what i thought. By its looks from outside, it didnt seem that big. I found the ride to be firm which is what i prefer. It was a 2.0 MT. Decent power. It was a CNG one though. Somehow i didnt pursue it because of the CNG.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:43. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 21st May 2015, 07:34   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

6kmpl is what I would get on highways when pushing at high speed. Else he is driving constantly in traffic jams.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st May 2015 at 08:20. Reason: Sudev, you know the rules.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:13   #648
Team-BHP Support

In my experience, as long as I keep below 3000rpm, I am guaranteed of double digit FE. But staying above 3000rpm consistently dips the FE to single digit. If one can keep it revving around 2000-2200rpm most of the time, 14-15kmpl is also possible. But it needs quite some discipline, and flat roads.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:51   #649
BHPian

Just completed a 500+ kms trip to Konkan area (near Dapoli) from Pune.
The road is almost completely mountainous terrain with only a stretch of 40 odd kms. being flattish. 1.5 to 2 lane roads throughout. 2 major ghats and innumerable minor ones. Never managed to go above 60kmph. Most of the times I was at 40 or less.

On the way out I checked the fuel consumption on tank to tank basis (fuel cut-off). The indicator on the dash was showing 8kmpl average while my actual calculations came to 8.87 kmpl.
On the flat highway stretch the indicator was showing 11-12 so I guess that on that road stretch the actual consumption was 12-13 kmpl.

I was generally between 1500 to 2000 rpm. The main problem seems to be that the 2L engine and the AT box are not matched properly. The engine seems to have a sweet spot around 1800-2200 rpm, but that also seems to be dependent on the AT box being in the right gear. So sometimes the instantaneous reading would be 30kmpl and for similar situations it would show 12kmpl later on. A 5 speed AT box would have helped immensely.

On the plus side the AT box is quite ok for my sedate driving style. It kicks down pretty slowly, but I found that shifting the lever from D to 3 during overtaking forces a rapid downshift.

My guess is that on a relatively empty road like the Belgaum- Bangalore stretch my vehicle should return over 13 kmpl. So now need to check that out.

My friend, with the manual GV, also seems to be a sedate driver. So it is quite possible that he got 15 kmpl as the road he went on is usually quite deserted.

Also came to the firm conclusion that the GV does not like city traffic as the instantaneous figures dropped to as low as 3 kmpl.
And driving over bad roads at 60 kmph is something it excels in!!.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 21st May 2015 at 10:54. Reason: spelling
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 21:54   #650
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, two BHPians who had never seen the inside of a Grand Vitara before, happened to accompany me for the 430Kms drive from Bangalore to Manipal. After about 100kms into the drive, one of them quietly asked me how much does a 5-6 year old Grand Vitara costs in the used car market. I told him it is around 4.5L or so. After recovering from the shock, he asked couple follow up questions.

Then he immediately called his car agent and said "Get me a Grand Vitara right away, any age any milege as long as it has clean single owner history... and I will sell my Getz...".
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 10:12   #651
BHPian

In a space of 2-3 months three of us in Pune hunted down and picked up Grand Vitaras. Got to know the other two during this hunt and we are now good friends. Two of us are members of the forum and the 3rd. is trying to become one.
Possibly time to start a Pune GV group of the forum.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:11   #652
Team-BHP Support

Just used the Maruti App to get the service cost and unscheduled repair cost of my vehicle over the entire ownership...

The unscheduled repair in 2008 is actually installation of my custom skid plates.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-screenshot_20150527160446.pngThe First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-screenshot_20150527160456.png

Last edited by Samurai : 27th May 2015 at 16:12.
Samurai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 23:12   #653
BHPian

Hi Samurai and Sudev,

For a few months now, the family was considering getting hold of a bigger car from the Ford Ikon that we have been using for the last 5 years. She was bought used with 30k on the odo and has now clocked 92k, we have driven all around the country and have had a great time. We just needed something a little bigger, more storage space and safer considering our newborn now about 4.5 months old, and our occasional passengers, our two german shepherds!

I was in love with a pajero for a long time, saw a few cars, drove a few. Things never fell in place either with the car or the money. Constantly, people kept talking of high maintenance and bad service from Mitsubishi which made us rethink about a pajero.

Then one evening, we were talking about a Grand Vitara and like any good team bhpian should, i started reading everything there is to read about the GV on team bhp. A few days later, the wife and I were going to look for grand vitaras!

Thank you for the immense info put up by both of you with regards to the Grand Vitara, I read through both your threads and had no questions whatsoever to ask before i decided to go ahead and buy a used GV!

And we did!

Got a 2008 GV with 45k on the odo, completely serviced at M.A.S.S. With new bridgestone h/t tyres run about 150 kms, stanley leather interiors and a neat bodyline. Got the car on the evening of the 18th of May at about 5 p.m. and drove it straight to a service station, the brakes had been redone completely about 6-7k kms ago. The oil had not been changed in about 12k kms, since we had to attend a wedding in Kushalnagar the next morning, decided to do just an oil change, oil filter change and engine flushing (recommended by the service station) was done.

Drove about a thousand kms in the last ten days, averaging mileage about 9-9.5 in total.

The family loves the car, like mentioned earlier by Samurai, fitting the baby seat was easy compared to the ikon. The space is good, the ride comfortable, drives on bad roads like a breeze. Good lighting by the headlights, however, the previous owner has put in what i presume are xenons (white light) for the high beams. Comfortably cruises at about 100, struggles a little if pushed beyond that, but i am comfortable where the car is, so not an issue.

Had an unexpected experience at the service station when i took it that evening, was initially refused service because of how late i went there, with no appointment, was then very politely offered assistance after they saw that it was a GV! Even more surprising was the entire service staff assembling around the car, to which i asked if something was wrong, they were just excited seeing a GV! Asked them if not many turn up for service, to which they replied "This is our first" .
The service advisor also told me that they did not have an oil filter available for this car. I immediately remember reading about the sx4 oil filter being a fit and he was shocked! Thank you Samurai or Sudev for that info!!

The total cost of oil change, oil filter change and engine flushing with labour cost 3.2k.

All in all, its been a great 10 days of ownership so far. Looking forward to a long time of fun with this car.

Just one thing thats been bothering me is the clutch, its quite heavy, hard to depress and quite painful in city traffic. Could someone please tell me what needs to be fixed in this case? The entire clutch assembly? or some other fixes please? Any idea of the cost if someone has changed these parts recently?

Thank you once again for all the info that has led me to get this car.

Regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 09:29   #654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Even more surprising was the entire service staff assembling around the car, to which i asked if something was wrong, they were just excited seeing a GV! Asked them if not many turn up for service, to which they replied "This is our first" .
I have seen similar excitement from Uppinangadi Workshop when I went there to fix a loose AC power wire. After fixing it back, the SA wanted to test drive. Like that is even needed after securing a wire. But I went along since I noticed his intense curiosity. He was very happy with the experience and was stunned to hear it was a 80K run car.

Quote:
The total cost of oil change, oil filter change and engine flushing with labour cost 3.2k.
Welcome to low cost ownership.

Quote:
Just one thing thats been bothering me is the clutch, its quite heavy, hard to depress and quite painful in city traffic. Could someone please tell me what needs to be fixed in this case? The entire clutch assembly? or some other fixes please? Any idea of the cost if someone has changed these parts recently?
I remember how a spring was removed in Sachin's Vitara to make it lighter, I'll check with him.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:31   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samurai and Sudev,

Good lighting by the headlights, however, the previous owner has put in what i presume are xenons (white light) for the high beams.

Srinand.
Welcome to the club.

Costs of parts are really reasonable. I have currently ordered the complete sets of link rods, ST bar bush. Ball joint, Steering rod ends and caliper pins for sorting out the steering play and some brake play in the front. Total cost of spares is 13,000.

Re the lights, adjust the headlight leveller to around 1, 2 or 3. I found that it gives best near and far illumination with High, Low and fogs on. (My setting is @ 1 for 2-3 persons on board) I am going to replace the high beam bulbs with Phillips Xtreme Vision halogens. And later do the same for low and fogs. That should give more than enough light.

I had a drive on one 2L MT, at 75K kms, which had a very hard clutch, resulting in poor gear change and jerky engine. I had it checked out by the GV expert at a MASS. His opinion was that all the symptoms were due to clutch and replacing the whole assembly would cost Rs. 10,000 or around.

I also simultaneously drove a GV which had run 56k kms. It was starting to show the syptoms of clutch wear with notchy gear change and mild judder in 1st or 2nd at slow speeds. No issues at higher speeds. My estimate was that this vehicle's clutch would need changing in 10,000 kms.

Possibly your vehicle has got into the clutch wear zone where these symptoms start. Check for slight resistance when putting gear into 1st., and slight judder when slowing down to 5 kmph and picking up again in 1st gear.
Based on these and the standard gradient start test you will get a good idea of the balance life of the clutch.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:15   #656
Team-BHP Support

My Vitara is at 97K and clutch is in great health, mine is mostly highway miles. I am fine with it, other people say my clutch is heavy, but that is the nature of the beast. It is like that since day one.

I hope people are not confusing heavy clutch with clutch wear. I suspect clutch assembly may cost lot more than 10k.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:12   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...I remember how a spring was removed in Sachin's Vitara to make it lighter, I'll check with him.
Do kindly check and let me know please, would be of great help.

Quote:
........I also simultaneously drove a GV which had run 56k kms. It was starting to show the syptoms of clutch wear with notchy gear change and mild judder in 1st or 2nd at slow speeds. No issues at higher speeds. My estimate was that this vehicle's clutch would need changing in 10,000 kms.

Possibly your vehicle has got into the clutch wear zone where these symptoms start. Check for slight resistance when putting gear into 1st., and slight judder when slowing down to 5 kmph and picking up again in 1st gear.
Based on these and the standard gradient start test you will get a good idea of the balance life of the clutch.
What you describe is exactly what is happening with my car, the car judders in 2nd gear and should be moved to 1st when say crossing a hump. It is quite hard to get it into 1st gear from stop and rest of the gears are smooth then onwards, i suspect it is the clutch too. I was advised to change the clutch plates, clutch cover and releaser bearing by the A.S.S. The costs are as follows;

Clutch plates 7200.
Clutch cover 7500.
Releaser bearing 15000.
Service charges approx 2000, total about 25k.

Quote:
My Vitara is at 97K and clutch is in great health, mine is mostly highway miles. I am fine with it, other people say my clutch is heavy, but that is the nature of the beast. It is like that since day one.

I hope people are not confusing heavy clutch with clutch wear. I suspect clutch assembly may cost lot more than 10k.
From my limited understanding, clutch life depends on the driving, possibly the previous owner/driver was doing a lot of half clutch driving resulting in immense wear.

Yes, you are right, costs given above.

Regards,

Srinand.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:50. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th May 2015, 15:23   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What you describe is exactly what is happening with my car, the car judders in 2nd gear and should be moved to 1st when say crossing a hump.
This judder is normal in Grand Vitara. Don't unnecessarily make repairs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post2802601

I'll be back in Bangalore a week later. Let me drive your Vitara and see whether it is a real problem.

Regarding clutch heaviness, there is a double spring setup near the clutch pedal. Sachin removed this spring to make the clutch pedal much lighter. You can try that.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:03   #659
BHPian

Quote:
This judder is normal in Grand Vitara. Don't unnecessarily make repairs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post2802601

I'll be back in Bangalore a week later. Let me drive your Vitara and see whether it is a real problem.

Regarding clutch heaviness, there is a double spring setup near the clutch pedal. Sachin removed this spring to make the clutch pedal much lighter. You can try that.
I have read the link provided earlier, absolutely, i will not get into any repairs unless and until absolutely necessary.
Thank you for the kind offer Samurai, I will check on the spring setup. Would be great if you could make time to drive my car! I will PM you my details, kindly do get in touch at your convenience.

Regards,

Srinand.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:03   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
clutch plates, clutch cover and releaser bearing by the A.S.S. The costs are as follows;

Clutch plates 7200.
Clutch cover 7500.
Releaser bearing 15000.
Service charges approx 2000, total about 25k.
Per info that I have the clutch and pressure plates cost 10.5k and the release bearing 3.1k.

Please check Part nos. 22100-65J00+22400-65J20 for the clutch disc and cover assembly and 23810-65J00 for the clutch cylinder assy.

I would suggest you verify the costs at the authorised parts distributor before going ahead.

Quote:
The indicator on the dash was showing 8kmpl average while my actual calculations came to 8.87 kmpl.
The dash indicator can be misleading ; it calculates an approx. FE based on speed and engine rpm.

If you are on 235/70R16 tyres , your odo will show 2%less distance covered .So please add 2% to your calculated FE (OE tyres are 225/70R16)

Quote:
I am going to replace the high beam bulbs with Phillips Xtreme Vision halogens. And later do the same for low and fogs. That should give more than enough light.
The lows are HIDs and better left untouched.You could try Xtreme vision bulbs on the highs - but replacement is a little tricky, especially on the left headlamp assembly where you will find very little room to twist and put the new bulb back.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd June 2015 at 21:05.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks