Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 15:20   #796
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [113000 KMs & 9 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
GV glove box comes with lock but since this is inside the car leave it unlocked
I will do that however just in case I need to lock it, I need to carry two keys with me, one for the car, one for the glove box.

Is this same for all other cars with glove box locks. Its just a little strange that lock cannot be dis-mounted from the rest of the opening / closing mechanism.
Old 8th April 2016, 15:45   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is there any alternative to the GV, in diesel, as per existing owner/s?
IMHO, only Duster AWD comes close to replacing GV, that is a 5-seater 4WD with great ride comfort.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 16:23   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Bowing to superior knowledge of Samurai San....agree
Old 9th April 2016, 17:01   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Bowing to superior knowledge of Samurai San....agree
Nothing superior sudev... It is too obvious, there is nothing else out there.
Old 10th April 2016, 10:18   #800
Team-BHP Support

Space is a premium with the Duster/Terrano twins and frankly, inside & outside, both appear more dated than the GV.

The Tuscon appears good as of now, but something like a GV should come out or the Pajero SFX.
Old 10th April 2016, 11:18   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Space is a premium with the Duster/Terrano twins and frankly, inside & outside, both appear more dated than the GV.
That's true, today I was walking towards the GV from the bakery and was amazed how it still looks current. It does have a timeless design.

Quote:
The Tuscon appears good as of now, but something like a GV should come out or the Pajero SFX.
Pajero is an old school ladder frame based 7-seater. Taking GV as the baseline, we are talking about unibody 4WD SUVs.

Unibody 4WD is not bad as many people like to think.

http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/Monoc...uction-chassis
Old 11th April 2016, 09:34   #802
BHPian

Agree with Samurai 100%.

The Grand Vitara has a certain timeless look. Nicely proportioned and at the same time not screaming for attention. The shape is such that visually it appears smaller than it actually is.
And the spare wheel on the tailgate gives it a lot of flair & panache.
Old 24th April 2016, 02:29   #803
BHPian

Finally, got the car serviced and the repair work to the brake pads and discs completed.

Overall it was a mixed bag at Varun Motors, Gachibowli. The final service and repair work took two and half days. Here are few details from my experience with them and scans of the service bills. I have posted the details about brake pads and discs replacement in earlier posts, hence this covers only the servicing part.

Positives:
  1. Extremely courteous staff
  2. Service Advisors and Manager of the workshop, particularly the latter, listen well and record all issues and complaints
  3. Workshop Manager, Mr. Suresh is quite knowledgable and attended to vehicle personally at many times.

Negatives
  1. Poor availability of GV spare parts. Well, this is a general occurrence with GV parts. However what I find appalling was that even after telling them the part numbers myself, they were reluctant to source the parts.
  2. Full synthetic engine oil not available despite repeated requests and assurances.

When I took my car for servicing the first day, I insisted on getting full synthetic engine oil and AT oil replaced along with Iridium spark plugs. Well, Iridium spark plugs quickly went out of contention as I was assured that there are none in all of Hyderabad at any Maruti dealership. Tried contacting NGK dealership in Hyderabad, the guy there took two full days to find out and came back on third day saying that NGK is not supplying the Iridium spark plugs. So, went ahead with normal spark plugs change. As one member had earlier advised, checked with the mechanic about the gap before new spark plugs were fitted.

Regarding the synthetic engine oil, the store manager came back confirming that they have the required oil in stock (0W40). I asked for sealed packs to be brought from the store. At this I was told that 'no sirr, no sealed packs, we only have drums'. Fine, I asked to be shown the drum. At this, I was asked to accompany the mechanic to basement to fetch the oil. There, I was shown a blue colored drum with absolutely no markings on it apart Shell, and no means of telling whether it contains 0w40 grade oil. I was expected to trust them blindly. I simply gave up at this stage and settled for semi synthetic oil, grade 5w30.

Regarding the change of AT oil, I was told that the same is not required before 100,000 kms. Since it was already getting late, I decided to get servicing done and bring back car the next day for AT oil change. Got the car back next day and got AT oil changed. Nice part, no labor charges were levied for the oil change

Workshop manager Mr. Suresh claims to be the inhouse expert on AT vehicles at Varun Motors. I have no evidence to either back that claim or deny it at this stage.

Here are the scans. Total damage to pocket = < Rs. 10,000

Servicing 11 Apr 2016.pdf

Servicing 12 Apr 2016.pdf

Have driven the vehicle for 2 weeks now post servicing. Another niggle seems to be coming up. While turning the steering in standstill position, there is a shrill noise which can be heard even with the windows rolled up. There is no other noise or vibration that can be heard in any other position, whether standstill or when the vehicle is moving. Could this be related to steering joints; well seems like I am headed to the workstation on Monday again

Last edited by rattanw : 24th April 2016 at 02:31.
Old 24th April 2016, 08:15   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Finally, got the car serviced and the repair work to the brake pads and discs completed.
Have driven the vehicle for 2 weeks now post servicing. Another niggle seems to be coming up. While turning the steering in standstill position, there is a shrill noise which can be heard even with the windows rolled up. There is no other noise or vibration that can be heard in any other position, whether standstill or when the vehicle is moving. Could this be related to steering joints; well seems like I am headed to the workstation on Monday again
I had a similar issue with my steering pump. It would give a loud sound when turning the wheels at very slow speeds. This was particularly pronounced when driving on hilly roads.

Changing the steering pump oil solved the problem.
Old 24th April 2016, 10:49   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I had a similar issue with my steering pump. It would give a loud sound when turning the wheels at very slow speeds. This was particularly pronounced when driving on hilly roads.

Changing the steering pump oil solved the problem.
Thanks.

I will definitely get that checked. In my case, the noise is only when the car is standstill and steering is turned.
Old 25th April 2016, 08:49   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

I will definitely get that checked. In my case, the noise is only when the car is standstill and steering is turned.
That confirms the diagnosis. Load on steering pump is maximum when wheels are turned while vehicle is stationary.
Old 25th April 2016, 11:46   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Check for leaky power steering pump and rack. The noise would have been due to low oil in reservoir and replacing basically made up the minimum volume needed. Question is why did it go low in the first place. Leaks.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:34   #808
BHPian

Sorry guys for this whining.

Well, I took the car to same service station yesterday. I do not know if it is me or what is it about GV that as soon as they see the car, all advisors start scampering for cover. This is becoming an all too familiar story each time I need to take my car to for any job.

Anyway, the SA this time had no clue where to look for steering oil. When I showed him the reservoir, he looked as shocked as my 2 year old daugther would. Anyway, we discovered the oil to be lower than the minimum mark. Straight answer by SA - 'Sirr we dont have this oil in stock, order lagana padega'. I then took him to the store, where the stores manager stated that they can use the same oil as 'AT oil'. Incidentally, they do not have even that in stock and it will take 2 days to get that from headoffice. The question of them checking for leaks does not arise as they are thoroughly incompetent and now I fear for my vehicle if I leave it with them.

At this stage, I have no clue as to use the same AT oil as steering oil, while I am trying to use the car as less as possible to avoid any further damage. I am also trying to find a competent mechanic outside.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:50   #809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I took the car to same service station yesterday. I do not know if it is me or what is it about GV that as soon as they see the car, all advisors start scampering for cover. This is becoming an all too familiar story each time I need to take my car to for any job.
Fortunately, the dealer where I take my car for service owns a GV too. In fact, the dealer's GV came along with mine in the same container from Japan. I took the white one, they got the black one.

Therefore, they are familiar with GV and give it the same care as their owner's GV.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 09:58   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys for this whining.

==============

At this stage, I have no clue as to use the same AT oil as steering oil, while I am trying to use the car as less as possible to avoid any further damage. I am also trying to find a competent mechanic outside.
First - change your MASS. AT oil can be used for the steering pump. The AT gearbox basically uses hydraulic systems to actuate the controls. So it needs hydraulic oil. The steering pump is one big hydraulic pump powering a hydraulic assist cylinder.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 09:44. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability

Most Viewed