Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 12:31   #811
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [113000 KMs & 9 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Check for leaky power steering pump and rack. The noise would have been due to low oil in reservoir and replacing basically made up the minimum volume needed. Question is why did it go low in the first place. Leaks.
I will definitely get this checked during my next visit. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
First - change your MASS. AT oil can be used for the steering pump. The AT gearbox basically uses hydraulic systems to actuate the controls. So it needs hydraulic oil. The steering pump is one big hydraulic pump powering a hydraulic assist cylinder.
I most certainly plan to do that. Just got a call this morning that they have now received the AT oil in stock. Guess this is the last job card they are going to open for my car. Thanks for your advice.
Old 7th May 2016, 21:24   #812
BHPian

Hi, was wondering if you can still get a brand new grand Vitara via maruti. Dealerships seems to be clueless, one executive even asking me to go in for a Ciaz instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi, was wondering if you can still get a brand new grand Vitara via maruti....dealerships seems to be clueless, one executive even asking me to go in for a Ciaz instead
. Also are spares availability going to be an issue?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 09:44. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 7th May 2016, 21:46   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, was wondering if you can still get a brand new grand Vitara via maruti....dealerships seems to be clueless, one executive even asking me to go in for a Ciaz instead
Maruti website still shows the Grand Vitara 2.4, but prices and availability are not indicated.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 09:06   #814
BHPian

Quote:
If you have the budget for a new Grand Vitara you could search around for a used 2.4 model. You will not get any additional features by buying new.

During my search for a Grand Vitara I had come across quite a few 2009 2L and 2010-2011 2.4L models. All were through agents & in pristine condition. But the asking price was beyond my budget. Patience will reward you.

Spares are available, but you need to order in advance and wait. Typically 15-30 days lead time.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 8th May 2016 at 09:07. Reason: Added point
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 10:52   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dealerships are always clueless about Grand Vitara, because most of them have never sold one. When the local dealership got the Grand Vitara to me for test drive, after the test drive the sales rep was literally pleading with me to buy the SX4. When I asked him why he is asking me to buy SX4 which is half price of GV, he looked very confused. He had no idea that somebody may actually buy GV. This is the result of the brilliant marketing strategy by Maruti for Grand Vitara in India.

Quote:
Also are spares availability going to be an issue?
Yes, it is getting longer and longer to get the parts. It used to be 7-10 days eariler, now it can take a month. But I am in a small town, could be better in cities.

I would suggest not to go for new Grand Vitara paying full price. It is almost end of life, parts situation will only get worse. They have not added any new feature since 2009.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 20:14   #816
BHPian

Thanks Rajeev, Sridhar, and Samurai. Your inputs have been really helpful . I guess I could look around for a second hand one but as you know these are really hard to come by.

I really feel nothing quite beats the GV when it comes to robustness, looks , off road prowess and compactness in this category of SUV even today. Sorry to say but the new Brezza disappoints me

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 09:50. Reason: edited post for better readability
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:30   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really feel nothing quite beats the GV when it comes to robustness, looks , off road prowess and compactness
In the last approx. 2 years that I have owned a GV , I can only agree with what you've just said.

For me , the length of the car and the huge ORVMs are a huge aid to drive in the city ; and handling is tops too.

I saw the Brezza ZDi+ last week for a friend and must say it looked like a very good package. However , for 11.8lacs OTR ,you could end up buying two pre-owned GVs
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:10   #818
Team-BHP Support

I was vacationing at a coffee estate resort recently. I got to talk to the caretaker for long and ended up sharing some offroading stories. Once he knew Grand Vitara was a 4WD vehicle and that I knew offroading, he recommended I drive through their estate.

I accepted at first, and then became apprehensive. Offroading alone in a SUV without doing a recce first? That is almost a cardinal sin. So I walked the whole trail, got lost couple times and finally got back. I decided it was doable in GV without any risks. There were couple parts where the tyre ruts are deep, but the metal skid plates should be able to protect the underside as long as I am very slow.

So here is the video of the trail drive, watch in HD. This is 2X speed so that you are not bored.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2016 at 19:11.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:39   #819
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear Bhimsen Joshi's Ramkali well . Was it being played while driving or did you add the sound track later?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 00:26   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Good to hear Bhimsen Joshi's Ramkali well . Was it being played while driving or did you add the sound track later?
Wow, didn't expect anybody to ID the raga, singer was obvious though. I have been listening to that one since 1992, part 1 of maestro's series.

The sound track was added later after removing all the inane comments we were making while driving.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 21:48   #821
BHPian

Did a tank fill up today and slightly depressed to learn that I have driven just about 200 km in the last 6 months with the vitara. Travel with work has kept me busy with other things. So finally took it for Delhi-Chandigarh drive today. Noon, 40+ degrees temp, but it still returned me close to 13kmpl. Always impressed when I drive this car, just need to drive it more than I do now. The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465057130.429906.jpg
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:06   #822
BHPian

HI Samuri,
How are you? Thanks a lot for a great ownership thread.
I just wanted to ask if you got the 235mm tries on the stock rims, which are 6.5"? My GV is due for a tire change soon, and as you know 225 are not so easy to come by, and hence looking at the 235 lattitude Cross. Do let me know if the 235's were fine on your GV on stock rims.
Thank You
Old 10th June 2016, 18:00   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ You should be fine with 235/70R16 on stock rims.

Your odo will show approx 2% less
Old 12th June 2016, 13:25   #824
BHPian

BTW does anyone know folks in Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki. Have seen a couple of folks retrofitting cruise control in their cars, wonder if we can do the same for ours after importing the requisite parts. This would become a proper highway cruiser at that point.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...trol-ebay.html
Old 12th June 2016, 21:15   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
BTW does anyone know folks in Suzuki or Maruti Suzuki. Have seen a couple of folks retrofitting cruise control in their cars, wonder if we can do the same for ours after importing the requisite parts. This would become a proper highway cruiser at that point.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...trol-ebay.html
It looks like the kit was available on a one off basis. Some links I found are:
http://www.canm8.com/precision-cruis...nd-vitara.html
http://www.autostrada.com.au/suzuki-...-controls.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Cruis...-/180513361521

I am trying to find out if ESP function can be retrofitted. Can't find any links for that.

Most Viewed