Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 12:24   #1156
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
So looks like that idler pulley bearing seized causing belt to snap. Remiss of me not to have investigated the noise that I heard at the start of Delhi - Agra run on YEW.
Could you explain what kind of noise was this? Is it a whine? or more noticeable?

Meanwhile received the rear brake piston kits and got it replaced at Surakshaa and immediately the FE went up by .5 kmpl. Surprised at the difference in FE a partially jammed wheel can make
Old 12th March 2018, 13:44   #1157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Could you explain what kind of noise was this? Is it a whine? or more noticeable?
More like rough sound .... not a whine.

Quote:
Meanwhile received the rear brake piston kits and got it replaced at Surakshaa and immediately the FE went up by .5 kmpl. Surprised at the difference in FE a partially jammed wheel can make
Stands to reason. SO I'd also better get the things like pistons in drum and callipers checked. Going to Agra I got FE of 10kmpl at steady 100-110 on YEW. Locally get 7kmpl. Downside to driving an AT.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 10:24   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Biswas View Post
The fan belt snapped due to the idler pulley jamming.

As I need to source the 1) Idler Pulley and the 2) Tensioner Pulley from Delhi (getting someone to courier it from there), can someone please help and provide the part numbers / specifications for these parts so I can inform my sources in Delhi?

Any information would be a great help, many thanks in advance!
Please see my post here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4191070

Mine is a 2007 2L AT model. I am assuming yours is a MT.
Just confirm from the belt part number from the others' posts. And also crosscheck the other part nos with your MASS. They can check it in their parts ordering system.

All the best.
Old 13th March 2018, 15:25   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Biswas View Post
Coincidentally I've had exactly the same problem with my GV 2.0 (manual). The fan belt snapped due to the idler pulley jamming. I'm based in Manali and am in a bit of a fix as I have to drive on the 16th to Bikaner for the MS Desert Storm (as an official, not a participant ) and just cant source the parts here.

The thread has already been a great help with the identification of the fan belt part number and specification.

As I need to source the 1) Idler Pulley and the 2) Tensioner Pulley from Delhi (getting someone to courier it from there), can someone please help and provide the part numbers / specifications for these parts so I can inform my sources in Delhi? Have checked with the MASS in Mandi but they seem to be taking too much time and I don't have time currently.

Any information would be a great help, many thanks in advance!
Hi , I have a belt lying in my Vitara ,you can pick it up from me in Delhi or have someone take it and send .
Coicencedintially I am also also going for the DS as a an official .
Old 14th March 2018, 15:19   #1160
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been facing a little excess brake pedal travel on my 2007 Grand Vitara AT for the last few days.

The first observation was some 3 months back when I went a little fast over a speed breaker and then the brake pedal travel increased.That normalised the following day but reappeared after a few months.

I also know that the brake shoes are both ageing and wearing.

Here is the sequence of steps to check the braking system

1.Rear Brakes

- No leaks, three shoes thickness is approx 60% while one is only approx 30%.

-checked the rear brake cylinders pistons and bore; no abnormality detected but the bore was quite dirty. This, despite two brake fluid changes over the last 3 years.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-brakecyl-dirty.jpg

-cleaned the bore with fresh DOT4 brake fluid and reassembled the rear wheel brake cylinders. No leaks.

2. Brake System Isolation and Brake Pedal Travel Check

Precautions:

1.air bleeding everytime the plug was removed and the brake line(s) was connected

2.ECM with frame dismounted and placed aside to provide access to the ABS unit; a separate ground connection provided for the ECM just to ensure no surprises/ECM errors.

3.Close watch on the brake fluid reservoir level and top up as required.

- with only the Brake Master Cylinder and Booster in line and plugging the outlet ports, brake pedal travel was normal and the end point was rock hard.

- with the front brakes isolated and only rear brakes in line, pedal travel was normal and end point, hard

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-frontbrakeout.jpg

-with either of the fronts/both the fronts in line, the pedal travel had increased, but the end point was still hard

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-frontoneinline.jpg

No leaks, hose bulges it any other abnormality seen in the front

While I couldn't solve the problem of pedal travel, I could rule out a bad booster, or bad rear brakes as the cause.

The brakes still work great; just that the travel is high.

This exercise also helped in getting all the brake fluid replaced and the rear cylinders cleaned.

Also posting a pic of the relative size of a new brake booster for the rev0 Swift Diesel in relation to the Grand Vitara brake booster

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-boostersizecomparo.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 14th March 2018 at 15:22.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 09:51   #1161
BHPian

My steering rack boots were in bad shape. They were held in place by some jugaad wires. The LH side one had slipped off the steering rack housing.
So I decided to get both of them replaced.
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-gv-steering-boot.jpg

The part nos are as follows:-
48571-65J00 Boot, Steering Pinion Side. Rs. 385.10 each+28%gst
48575-65J00 Wire, Rack Boot Pinion Side. Rs. 192.90 each+28%gst
Even though the name says "Wire" it is a proper flat metal band type clip.

Labour charges were as follows:
LC12R Steering Rack Bush R&R. Rs. 1050+18%gst
ZA11L0 Wheel Alignment. Rs. 710+18%gst
Old 15th March 2018, 16:48   #1162
BHPian

Re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
So... after torrential downpour in Bombay when I came back, my car refused to start. So after a battery change and a tow to the service station, .
The procedure says to shift the manual transmission lever into 2nd gear once the N indicator light turns ON.

Has any one tried it. I am unable to figure, why slot the shift lever in 2nd.
Though i never towed the car but want to be thorough with the procedure, just in case.
Old 16th March 2018, 08:57   #1163
Distinguished - BHPian

While the car had idler pulley jammed the water pump has also been replaced. The car is ready for pick up. Now all I have to do is go to Agra. Trip is planned for early next week as part of recce for The Agra Taj Car Rally.

For the curious invoice is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-1521170653478.jpg  

Old 16th March 2018, 10:07   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
While the car had idler pulley jammed the water pump has also been replaced. The car is ready for pick up. Now all I have to do is go to Agra. Trip is planned for early next week as part of recce for The Agra Taj Car Rally.

I don't see the belt in this ?
Good to know they were able to procure the parts and get the GV ready in a few days.
Old 18th March 2018, 13:32   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi , I have a belt lying in my Vitara ,you can pick it up from me in Delhi or have someone take it and send .
Coicencedintially I am also also going for the DS as a an official .
Thanks so much, that's a very kind offer. I unfortunately had to cancel my DS plan as the Idler Pulley was not available in time (through Motorcraft). Wish you all the best for the DS, have a great event and thanks again!

Quote:

Hi Sudev, was the water pump malfunction in any way related to the Idler pulley jamming?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2018 at 14:30. Reason: Back to back post, please use multiquote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2018, 07:23   #1166
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. This was apparently the culprit. The seizure of this led to idler bearing getting high load and while it did not seize the bearing was on its way to failure.
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:47   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I found that the 2009 and later(rear disc set up) GVs have this part number for the rear piston seal set - Rear Caliper Repair Kit, Grand Vitara, 55890-77K00 or 55890-77K01
The part number for the rubber bellow and o ring alone (the minor kit) is 55880-77K00

Please verify.
Quote:
Meanwhile received the rear brake piston kits and got it replaced
Jaggu, Were the part numbers of the rear brake piston kits that you ordered the same that I had shared?

Just to reconfirm.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 14:56   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Jaggu, Were the part numbers of the rear brake piston kits that you ordered the same that I had shared?

Just to reconfirm.
Yes it was the same for the completed kit at rear; it had piston, O ring and dust cover. Front they got only the O ring and dust cap, now I would need to order the pistons separately. Since they are running fine, I haven't bothered to service the front end. Even the right side piston at rear was in much better shape, I guess the left one, dust cap was defective and created the mess. Already getting better FE also lol
Old 23rd March 2018, 15:16   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was the same for the completed kit at rear; it had piston, O ring and dust cover. Front they got only the O ring and dust cap, now I would need to order the pistons separately. Since they are running fine, I haven't bothered to service the front end. Even the right side piston at rear was in much better shape, I guess the left one, dust cap was defective and created the mess. Already getting better FE also lol
See if you can re-use the existing pistons. If they are not corroded/rusted, you can rub them with a fine emery and reuse them with new 0 ring and Seal
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:54   #1170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
See if you can re-use the existing pistons. If they are not corroded/rusted, you can rub them with a fine emery and reuse them with new 0 ring and Seal
I know that, but since brakes are fine I don't want to take a chance. If I am opening, I rather replace them once and for all. These are inexpensive parts. The whole kit for rear was 1000 bucks a piece, including the dreaded GST

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks