Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2018, 08:17   #1246
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You will have to take out fuel tank, open the fuel pump and clean it out. Best done on a lift and to access you will have to remove he rear prop shaft, tank cover.

Draining will not work. GV has a saddle tank and both lower parts of tank need to be flushed. No shortcut. Rest no need to do anything else.

Thanks a million. I will do as advised. And will update results on the thread.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:26   #1247
Distinguished - BHPian

A person is interested in a GV AT. Any leads on a good car?

He is a handicapped driver (lost both his hands in childhood accident) who is wanting to do the Raid-de-Himalaya. Has done drive up to Leh and participated in smaller TSD rallies and also Autocross. Fought the system to get his driving license.

He has already put in his entry and I really want to help him out. Would appreciate leads.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:34   #1248
BHPian

Got all the cleaning work done day before yesterday.

It needed 4-6 people to push the vehicle across the main road with its choking traffic. The garage was a small unit with a pit. They were working on the Grand Vitara for the first time. I explained all the steps that had to be followed to the mechanic. And kept showing him the service manual pages when he had any doubt. The whole exercise took about 5 hours. More than 1 hour was spent in waiting for the WD40 to loosen the propeller shaft nuts.
The petrol tank was removed, cleaned and refitted. I got the fuel pump filter cleaned by reverse purge of air. I also got the fuel pies to the engine cleaned with compressed air blast.

There was about 50 liters of liquid in the tank. The general conscensus was that it was a mix with at least 60% water.

It took some pretty hard cranking to get the engine to fire up. But once running the engine settled down smoothly.

The mechanic kept repeating that the parts look like Maruti ones but are better and bigger. Moral of the story - any roadside mechanic familiar with Maruti will be able to do emergency repairs provide we can guide him with the specific points to be aware of.

Yesterday I took the vehicle to my MASS to do a general check and clean the injectors. The vehicle is now declared fit.

I have been filling at the petrol pump for about 20 years without any issues. My vehicle had failed right at their exit. On finding out the water in petrol I contacted their supervisor and they immediately shut down the SPEED petrol line. Fortunately nobody else had filled up with speed after me. The pump is footing all the repair bills and replacing the full petrol.

During this episode I got to see the supervisory side of a typical petrol pump. There is a fair amount of instrumentation and record keeping. There is a real time display panel that has readings for the quantity of fuel in various tanks and readings for water content. In addition they have a manual dipstick method to check for water. The dipstick has some chemical coating that changes colour in the presence of water. This check is done twice a day.

Possibly a leak developed in the supply pipe near where it enters the fuel dispenser unit. Mechanics were working to trace the problem.
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 12:00   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to know everything worked out.

Somewhere in the archives there are two stories of my travels and GV developing "hichki" - intermittent fuel out.

In the first I was able to get to a small MASS and even though they had never seen a GV they were able to take out fuel tank and completely drain out the fuel. That is the experience I shared with you to give indicated way forward.

The second is even more interesting. A small town with a experienced old mechanic who did this all without the aid of a lift but only jacks. But the story did not end there .... he proceeded to dismantle the fuel pump and traced intermittent fuel out due to a cut "O" ring inside the pump that would stop the pump vane from rotating and pumping fuel. Then he proceeded to search his "treasure" of left over parts and found a Bajaj Scooter "O" ring and the GV was roaring.

Yes the parts and systems are similar to other siblings from Maruti Suzuki stables.
sudev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 22:46   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

The second is even more interesting. A small town with a experienced old mechanic who did this all without the aid of a lift but only jacks. But the story did not end there .... he proceeded to dismantle the fuel pump and traced intermittent fuel out due to a cut "O" ring inside the pump that would stop the pump vane from rotating and pumping fuel. Then he proceeded to search his "treasure" of left over parts and found a Bajaj Scooter "O" ring and the GV was roaring.
WOW!! A Bajaj Scooter O ring saving the day for a GV!!!
Old 14th July 2018, 09:40   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Recent trip across the entire Himachal Tribal Circuit. Did Chandigarh, Saach, Chandratal, Kunzom, Kaza, Komic, Rohru, Chakrata, Dehradun, Chandigarh. Some pics:
What time of year it is. Where to stay. Please add more details.
Old 14th July 2018, 15:26   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
What time of year it is. Where to stay. Please add more details.
I did this from 18th June 2018 to 24 June 2018. A tlog is in the pipeline and will be up shortly. If you have any specific area query will be happy to PM you the details.
Old 1st August 2018, 13:45   #1253
R_R
BHPian

Glad tidings for GV fans: New Suzuki Vitara coming in 2019!!!

Of course, sparse details yet, only stuff about what the car has in other markets, but definitely a welcome entry into the SUV market. A real contender when I have to replace my GV in about two years time. Lots of road-test videos on YouTube, which suggests this will carry on the GV legacy.

News story below:

https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/auto-...319-2018-07-31
Old 4th August 2018, 10:48   #1254
BHPian

Clutch on my GV has started acting up. One evening while on short trip, whn i stopped at a signal. The clutch could not disengaged on pressing pedal and i couldn't slot her in any gear. Some how managed to get back home and kept the car lying in the parking for 2 days and the clutch started to work.

Later moved around in the market for some errands and suddenly the same issue pops up. Again left the car in parking and the problem disappeared next day. Got her checked at MASS but they couldn't find any thing. Fluid level and condition is ok. No sponginess in pedal, pedal retracts fully etc.

Now i have driven around a few KMs but no issues so far. ODO reads 110000, am planning to get a new clutch.
Am i missing out anything here, please advise.

Last edited by spgv : 4th August 2018 at 10:57. Reason: Typo
Old 4th August 2018, 12:06   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
Either the clutch is getting stuck to the flywheel or there is momentary loss of hydraulic pressure on the clutch actuator.

Did you drive through deep water just before you noticed this issue?If yes, then it is the clutch plate.

If not, I'd suspect it to be either air in the fluid line OR the clutch Master/slave cylinder at its end stage.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 21:20   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Does any body have a picture of their front parking bulb? What kind of a holder is it? Can someone confirm if the front parking bulb is a T10 type? Thanks.
Old 25th August 2018, 09:17   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Does any body have a picture of their front parking bulb? What kind of a holder is it? Can someone confirm if the front parking bulb is a T10 type? Thanks.
From the user manual it seems like it's a WY5W bulb:
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-screenshot-20180825-091301.png

From the Osram website (which suggests W5W or T10)
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-screenshot-20180825-091535.png

Sizes of both are the same, so T10 should fit fine.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 25th August 2018 at 09:22.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 15:52   #1258
BHPian

The information display of my GV stopped working. No blown fuse. Before it got out completely i saw the display come and go for a few days. Any one faced similar issue.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:19   #1259
BHPian

Finally got the clutch replaced. However a new problem popped up in the gear shift lever. There is a plastic bush in the shifter and it has given away. Googled and found that it is not sold separately and i have to get complete gear shifter assembly. Any clue on this, can i use bush from some other vehicle.
Check the photo, the yellow bush is what i need. Help please.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-dsc001871.jpg  

Old 20th September 2018, 17:26   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
Finally got the clutch replaced. However a new problem popped up in the gear shift lever. There is a plastic bush in the shifter and it has given away. Googled and found that it is not sold separately and i have to get complete gear shifter assembly. Any clue on this, can i use bush from some other vehicle.
Check the photo, the yellow bush is what i need. Help please.

You need Item no 10 from the Invoice I uploaded on this link:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4414313 (The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP)
10. 28117-82C02 Seat Lower Rs 125 + GST

Last edited by Styler : 20th September 2018 at 17:28.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed