Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2007, 15:00   #121
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's the point of this forum, most of our members will do the same.

Today I filled petrol for the second time, upon delivery I had only filled 20lt. Today I filled the tank fully. And for the second time I was asked repeatedly whether I want petrol or diesel. This is one thing I have to be very careful about. Some petrol bunk attendent may just decide this is a diesel vehicle.
yea samurai...i have the same problem with my ford fusion diesel. all the bunk chaps think its petrol by default.

i think its a good idea to get a small 'PETROL' sticker and paste it on the fuel lid. not totally idiot-proof, but definitely a precaution.
Old 10th November 2007, 15:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samurai! This a great thread with excellent write-ups. Loved it!

All the best and happy driving!
Old 10th November 2007, 19:44   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Samurai, one question - does the relatively low BHP/torque translate to you feeling at any point with a fully loaded SUV, the need for additional power/torque when you drive in the a) the city or b) long distance - especially overtaking (if you have done any highway segments)?
I guess now I can answer this. Yesterday I climbed the very steep Abumbe ghats with 4 adults and today regular highway/local road combo with 4 adult+ 2 kids with luggage. Never felt the lack of power or lack of torque while cruising or overtaking. At some parts of Agumbe ghats I was doing inclined twists (not the hairpins, they are something else) in 4th gear with ease. So we can put that fear to rest, it is good enough for a non-aggresive driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i think its a good idea to get a small 'PETROL' sticker and paste it on the fuel lid. not totally idiot-proof, but definitely a precaution.
I am already thinking about that.
Old 11th November 2007, 07:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I guess now I can answer this. Yesterday I climbed the very steep Abumbe ghats with 4 adults and today regular highway/local road combo with 4 adult+ 2 kids with luggage. Never felt the lack of power or lack of torque while cruising or overtaking. At some parts of Agumbe ghats I was doing inclined twists (not the hairpins, they are something else) in 4th gear with ease. So we can put that fear to rest, it is good enough for a non-aggresive driver.
Great.. It now sounds like it is a good vehicle for city roads - turning radius, visibility, parking ease, good enough torque for not too frequent gear changes, enough space to pickup guests from the US, dont care attitude towards potholes, speed breakers - bangalore roads..and yeah make heads turn..

AND

great for long distance, off-roading prowess ..

I guess the only thing missing is either diesel fuel costs or better petrol fuel efficiency.. but then you cant ask for it all..My first impressions were good, i will now go ask for a test drive..Thanks samurai and enjoy your vehicle - you seem to go where no normal mangalorian 4 wheeler does not go..
Old 11th November 2007, 09:12   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
great for long distance, off-roading prowess ..

I guess the only thing missing is either diesel fuel costs or better petrol fuel efficiency.. but then you cant ask for it all..My first impressions were good, i will now go ask for a test drive..Thanks samurai and enjoy your vehicle - you seem to go where no normal mangalorian 4 wheeler does not go..
You forgot to mention, it can carry your golf clubs with ease. Looks like you can lay your trusty Baleno to rest now!
Old 11th November 2007, 11:13   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You forgot to mention, it can carry your golf clubs with ease. Looks like you can lay your trusty Baleno to rest now!
Leaning towards it ;-)
Old 12th November 2007, 11:52   #127
BHPian

Hi Samurai, need to know if there is any improvement in the road condition between Bangalore and Mangalore. i am planning a trip...Louis
Old 12th November 2007, 13:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
And for the second time I was asked repeatedly whether I want petrol or diesel. This is one thing I have to be very careful about. Some petrol bunk attendent may just decide this is a diesel vehicle.
The same thing is happening to me when I fill up my SX4. And its even in the Shell outlets!Guess these vehicles arent popular enough yet for the attendant to recognise the fuel type immediately. And this is inspite of having the "Petrol" sticker on the fuel flap!!!
Old 12th November 2007, 16:29   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai,

Can your GV's display switch between instantaneous and average fuel consumption? If yes, in the average mode, what does it average over (last n km or last n seconds or something else)?

Also, here is a forum for all GV owners (you may already be using it, just sharing for the benefit of others):
2G (2006+) Grand Vitara - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th November 2007 at 16:36.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:03   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Can your GV's display switch between instantaneous and average fuel consumption? If yes, in the average mode, what does it average over (last n km or last n seconds or something else)?
Yes, I switched it to average mode, it showed 7.5kmpl for now. The average is since the last reset, I have never reset before. So 7.5kmpl includes all the off-roading, climbing Agumbe ghats, etc. I am yet to do a clean highway drive, I don't have a clean highway anywhere around here.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:08   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to do a clean highway drive, I don't have a clean highway anywhere around here.
The Manipal-BLR route via Charmadi is said to be very nicely drivable. Once in BLR, I'll personally conduct the GV to the Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Expressway - also very nicely motorable.
Old 12th November 2007, 23:48   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I switched it to average mode, it showed 7.5kmpl for now. The average is since the last reset, I have never reset before. So 7.5kmpl includes all the off-roading, climbing Agumbe ghats, etc. I am yet to do a clean highway drive, I don't have a clean highway anywhere around here.
I think 7.5 is very reasonable considering that the engine still new, a lot of slow speed 4H, 4L runs and it's a 4WD.

Do you feel any perceptible sluggishness compared to the Baleno in our day to day driving conditions?

The reason I ask is - I am preparing myself to take the plunge and just want to know what to expect. I currently drive NHC iDSI which is not a fast car as per T-BHP standards, but I find it quite adequate (in fact low end torque is just amazing). Of course, being a Honda it has crisp and feather touch gearshift and lovely FE (13 - 14 in City). So, will life be a hell if I switch over to GV?

Still waiting for the test drive of the manual...Maruti has made a mess with selling all A/Ts to the dealers here for the TD vehicles.
Old 13th November 2007, 00:06   #133
BHPian

Hey, I totally missed this. Really good pics and nice wheels. I get the feeling you are going to make the most of this 4x4.
Old 13th November 2007, 01:04   #134
Senior - BHPian

May god give you worse roads for your GV everyday.

(if god doesn't, govt will)

congrats for the buy. I was also seriously considering GV here in states, but i was only going to do highways, and there were more refined options for that.
Old 13th November 2007, 08:50   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, here is a forum for all GV owners (you may already be using it, just sharing for the benefit of others):
2G (2006+) Grand Vitara - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Thanks, I am already member of another forum which discusses current Gen GV only. But I see many members from that forum in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Manipal-BLR route via Charmadi is said to be very nicely drivable. Once in BLR, I'll personally conduct the GV to the Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Expressway - also very nicely motorable.
Thanks, I'll take up on that offer when I visit Bangalore with GV. But then I didn't buy this car to drive on nice roads, did I now?

Quote:
I think 7.5 is very reasonable considering that the engine still new, a lot of slow speed 4H, 4L runs and it's a 4WD.
Yeah, that's right.

Quote:
Do you feel any perceptible sluggishness compared to the Baleno in our day to day driving conditions?
Compared to the Baleno, not much really. The difference is quite noticeable only in second gear when I am on steep incline. While Baleno could take it at 2nd gear from slow start, the GV needs the 1st gear. But GV has a very usable 1st gear, unlike any car I have driven where I have to quickly shift to 2nd. You can accelerate quite a bit on 1st without over-revving. This is probably designed so because it needs that useful torque in off-roading.

Quote:
The reason I ask is - I am preparing myself to take the plunge and just want to know what to expect. I currently drive NHC iDSI which is not a fast car as per T-BHP standards, but I find it quite adequate (in fact low end torque is just amazing).
I find GV performance very acceptable after driving Baleno for 2+ years, and I live in a hilly place. I haven't been able to compare highway/high-speed performance, that is something you can verify yourself even in an AT model. Oh, the MT performance is much better than the AT I test drove.

Quote:
Of course, being a Honda it has crisp and feather touch gearshift and lovely FE (13 - 14 in City). So, will life be a hell if I switch over to GV?
The gear-shift is one area, you will cry over. It is a very far cry from the NHC gear-shift. Switching to 2nd is a pain, but rest of the car makes it worth it though.

Frankly, you should buy the GV if the terrain demands it, like in my case. If you are going to use it as an urban crawler, you are not really making the best use of your money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks