Old 24th October 2011, 13:48   #346
GRV
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Hi

I had shortlisted the following tyres
Priority 1 : Micheling LTX AT/2
Priority 2: Yokohoma G051

Checked a few dealers in Gurgaon (Reliance, Car plus and a couple of others). None of the them have eithe rof the two tires. Only available is Geolander 012 ,which I can not find in Tire rack .com for review

Any idea where I can get the above mentioned tires and second what is your view on Geolander 012 ?

Thanks for your help
GRV
Old 26th October 2011, 09:16   #347
Team-BHP Support

Getting tyres these days has become a big issue thanks to ISI stamp scam by the GOI. No, I have never heard of Geolandar 012.

Meanwhile, I am in Kerala, spending Diwali in total silence and clean air. I never knew Diwali was a non event in Kerala.

In nearly 4 years, my GV has never seen a 4 lane highway longer than 100kms, so I have never gotten FE more than 11kmpl on a long stretch. Yesterday GV did 300kms of 4 lane highway giving 13kmpl. Then we hit Avinashi road construction and FE dropped to 12kmpl by the time we reached Palghat.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:17   #348
Team-BHP Support

Oops, the GV also crossed 40,000kms on the same day. I didn't know until next day. Since day before yesterday evening, we have been driving around Shoranur (Sornor according to locals) and Palghat, despite the city traffic the FE average is still showing around 11.2kmpl, which continues to amaze me.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 14:43   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oops, the GV also crossed 40,000kms on the same day. I didn't know until next day. Since day before yesterday evening, we have been driving around Shoranur (Sornor according to locals) and Palghat, despite the city traffic the FE average is still showing around 11.2kmpl, which continues to amaze me.
Saw you on Shoranur - Ottapalam road yesterday around noon. I was driving opp direction to Kochi urgently so did not try to stop.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:00   #350
Senior - BHPian

13kmpl highway FE is good for a petrol SUV. What speeds did you maintain ? Also what is the kerb weight of GV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Meanwhile, I am in Kerala, spending Diwali in total silence and clean air. I never knew Diwali was a non event in Kerala.
Yes, it is a non-event here. I am also away from the light/sound fury of Chennai and it is so peaceful. As kids, we loved to burst crackers, but now just can't stand the sound/smoke.
Old 28th October 2011, 22:46   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Saw you on Shoranur - Ottapalam road yesterday around noon. I was driving opp direction to Kochi urgently so did not try to stop.
Ah! I never get spotted in Bangalore, but get caught in Kerala. I was driving back to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
13kmpl highway FE is good for a petrol SUV. What speeds did you maintain ? Also what is the kerb weight of GV ?
About 80-100kmpl, my usual cruising speed. It weighs about 1600kgs.
Old 29th October 2011, 17:48   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Ah! I never get spotted in Bangalore, but get caught in Kerala. I was driving back to Bangalore.
Actually i did not notice any TBHP stickers on your GV (from Front) but your Regn no: is in my mind & i knew it was you. When you passed i confirmed it by seeing the TBHP sticker on rear door.

One of my hobbies is to have a look at the no: plates of oncoming vehicles, vehicles passing me, vehicles i am overtaking & guess their journey route, type of owner etc. Great pastime especially when driving alone. Kills sleep too.
Old 29th October 2011, 20:13   #353
BHPian

Quote:
One of my hobbies is to have a look at the no: plates of oncoming vehicles, vehicles passing me, vehicles i am overtaking & guess their journey route, type of owner etc. Great pastime especially when driving alone. Kills sleep too.
I thought i was mad. Now i have company.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:05   #354
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I did Bangalore-Manipal and it was quite a fast trip. I started at 6AM, reached Mayura restaurant that is 110kms away in just 1h 25m despite driving through Bangalore roads. Did the notorious Shirai ghat (Sakaleshput-Gundya) in just one hour, that is an average speed of 38kmph, very good for that stretch.

Excluding the breakfast break, I did Bangalore-Mangalore in just 6 hours despite the Shiradi ghats. My wife who called to check on my status was stunned to find me in Mangalore.

Now here is the the real surprising bit. First, I never exceeded 100kmph throughout the trip. Second, I got 12.2kmpl for the first 220kms drive until Sakleshpur. The FE dropped to 11.8 kmpl by the time I reached Mangalore, thanks to the bad roads in the ghats.

I don't understand the sudden surge in FE after the Kerala trip. BTW, petrol costs 6 rupee cheaper in KL. After filling up in Kerala for mere Rs.68.70/liter, I refilled again in Hassan, after driving 648kms. That is another first, I have never held out that long before refilling.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st October 2011 at 20:09.
Old 31st October 2011, 20:16   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand the sudden surge in FE after the Kerala trip. BTW, petrol costs 6 rupee cheaper in KL. After filling up in Kerala for mere Rs.68.70/liter, I refilled again in Hassan, after driving 648kms. That is another first, I have never held out that long before refilling.
Maybe because of the natural cold air intake? It was regularly raining from afternoon the week i saw you, hence lesser load on AC as well?

Your next refueling may provide the answer
Old 31st October 2011, 22:14   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe because of the natural cold air intake? It was regularly raining from afternoon the week i saw you, hence lesser load on AC as well?
Naah, I have driven the GV extensively in rains and cold weather. Never seen this jump. In fact the FE increased from the day I left for KL, see the post I made on 26th morning.

Usually I get around 10.2kmpl on Bangalore-Manipal trip. This sudden jump to 11.8kmpl for the same stretch is little unnerving. BTW, GV FE meter is very accurate. When I refilled after 648kms, I could only fill 54.78 liters. That means 11.82kmpl from KL border to Hassan.

Just noticed that GV is giving better than FE than dkaile's Fortuner. Both are fulltime 4WD SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
New Fuel Efficiency Report -

Got diesel (Normal Sada, no premium) filled up twice now in Delhi at Company Owned Filling Station. MID shows 11.1kmpl and actual figure is 11 exact (27 litres for 298km).
Old 31st October 2011, 23:01   #357
Team-BHP Support

Which route you took to KL? I usually get my best FE figures between BLR and CBE. Thanks to the superb road and decent traffic scene. Apart from that did you happen to replace the air filter recently?
Old 31st October 2011, 23:31   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Which route you took to KL? I usually get my best FE figures between BLR and CBE. Thanks to the superb road and decent traffic scene. Apart from that did you happen to replace the air filter recently?
I drove through Krishnagiri, Salem, CBE route. Until Avinashi I got 13kmpl. Nope, the GV hasn't been serviced in anyway since April.

I can understand getting higher FE in that route. But how to understand 1.6kmpl increase in the route I do twice every month?
Old 1st November 2011, 06:20   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Just noticed that GV is giving better than FE than dkaile's Fortuner. Both are fulltime 4WD SUVs.
Congrats on a fantastic mileage (for a petrol suv) Samurai.

My mileage figures can be called 'actually' city mileage FE. On the highway runs it easily gives between 13 to 14 and that too on diesel.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:17   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats on a fantastic mileage (for a petrol suv) Samurai.

My mileage figures can be called 'actually' city mileage FE. On the highway runs it easily gives between 13 to 14 and that too on diesel.
+1. That is great mileage for a petrol 4WD SUV.

The Fortuner gives 12-13 on highways with steady cruising (80-120). With spirited driving (140kmph+ stretches), FE goes down to 10-10.5 kmpl. During my MP trip I got 10.5 due to fast driving throughout.

Most Viewed