Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 08:43   #436
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

The N mode never got engaged since you were moving. That is why 4wd malfunction light started flashing. Please read the owner's manual on how to engage various 4WD modes.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 00:08   #437
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I was driving back home at night. In the initial slope as I pressed the brake, the Grand Vitara accelerated, instead of slowing down. I had to really slam the brake to get the car to stop. Now, that was a scary experience.

So I continue, same experience again. Now I am worried, started contemplating a visit next day to the Maruti workshop.

Just then I had a feeling of Déjà vu, a feeling that I had seen this before. Not the acceleration exactly, but the resistance to stop. So I poked my foot below the pedals, and I was right. Earlier that evening, the car wash guy had carelessly put back the mat after cleaning, like this. So when I press the brake, it presses the mat down, there by pressing the A-pedal.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20120829_214821.jpg
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 00:19   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I was driving back home at night. In the initial slope as I pressed the brake, the Grand Vitara accelerated, instead of slowing down. I had to really slam the brake to get the car to stop. Now, that was a scary experience. ....
Same happened with me once ( if you don't mind me sharing ), After cleaning the mats of my car, I shifted them back to the car, Was in a hurry.

After driving for 500m, The clutch felt very heavy. I thought in my mind, Pressure plates went for a toss, replace them, but till tomorrow they were fine, then suddenly what happened ?

I continued to drive on and upon reaching the destination, I tried pressing clutch with my hand, to confirm, And then, I saw that, A portion of mat was on the clutch pedal and was being pressed with the clutch, thereby making it heavy

P.S My 500th post

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:12. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 31st August 2012, 12:27   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
as I pressed the brake, the Grand Vitara accelerated, instead of slowing down.

Earlier that evening, the car wash guy had carelessly put back the mat after cleaning, like this. So when I press the brake, it presses the mat down, there by pressing the A-pedal.
Hmmm...so you manually reproduced the problem that Toyota created en-mass during assembly and caused a havoc in the US...

I have also read about instances of empty water bottles lying around in the cabin rolling forward and getting stuck below the pedals etc. Even the though was so scary I always clean the car myself and ensure there are no loose items around...
Old 31st August 2012, 12:52   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier that evening, the car wash guy had carelessly put back the mat after cleaning, like this. So when I press the brake, it presses the mat down, there by pressing the A-pedal.
Are you using the correct mat, which is meant for the GV? It does seem to fit properly.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:03   #441
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem with my Baleno once, but it was not due to the mat, but due a small piece of plastic that got stuck in the throttle cable and kept it open. The engine was screaming at top of its lungs.
Luckily the road was not crowded and using clutch and brake to arrest the speed, parked the car by the side and checked the cable and dislodged the plastic clip.
Old 11th October 2012, 17:06   #442
GRV
BHPian

Hi Samurai

Need your advice again. I am back after a long time. Last time I mentioned that I had to change my tyres after 52,000 kms and that was only change I needed till 52k.

Had my 60 k service last fortnight. Even after service I face the following

1. Dug-Dug sound all the time , seems to be coming out from suspension, gets louder on bad roads or potholes

2. the steering gets very heavy when I am at slow speed (10 KPMH) and taking a sharp turn.

3. My service advisor recommended changing my break pads, cleaning fuel injectors and removing carbon from engine

in addition I feel that FE has come down a bit (from 9.5 to 8.5)

Would be great if your can indicate possible reason for the problems I mentioned above. Do we really require engine decarbonising or injector cleaning or even break bad change ?

Thanks
GRV
Old 12th October 2012, 02:03   #443
Team-BHP Support

Very suspicious! I don't see the connection between the problem and solution. Ask them for explanation.

For suspension sound, check the condition of the lower arm bushes, and tie rods.

What is their explanation for the steering issue?
Old 12th October 2012, 11:56   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Most likely the rubber bushes in the suspension arms are worn. Before your service advisor says replace the arms please check - unlike in past now individual bush ends are available as SGP/MGP numbers and so you need not do complete arm change.
Old 12th October 2012, 17:03   #445
GRV
BHPian

Thanks a lot Samurai and Sudev

The SA did not offer any solution for steering. he kept saying he can not find any problem with it. He was intersted in Fuel injector cleaning and Break pad change as I have complained of lower FE also

Will Fuel injector cleaning or engine decarbonsing help in FE and over all performance ?

Sudev thanks a lot for sharing that rubber bush are available on stand aloen basis. I think that should not cost much , I will get it inspected thsi week end itself

Thanks
GRV
Old 14th October 2012, 11:16   #446
Team-BHP Support

My GV is about to complete 40,000kms on the second set of tyres. Currently I am on Michelin LTX AT2, and it has been great. But now I am seeing that the treads are getting below 3mm in couple tyres. So it is time to change I think.

My current usage is 50% GQ quality roads, and 30% so-so roads, and 20% bad roads. And I do value ride quality and good road grip.

Should I stick with Michelin or is there something better. Price in Bangalore for 235/70R16 will also be welcome.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:40   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I stick with Michelin or is there something better. Price in Bangalore for 235/70R16 will also be welcome.
You may want to look at COOPER. I am using Cooper AT tire on my Forester and there is absolutely no sign of wear after 15000 kms. They had some excellent warranty scheme when I purchased mine (2 years back)
Old 14th October 2012, 15:09   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My GV is about to complete 40,000kms on the second set of tyres. Currently I am on Michelin LTX AT2, and it has been great. But now I am seeing that the treads are getting below 3mm in couple tyres. So it is time to change I think.

My current usage is 50% GQ quality roads, and 30% so-so roads, and 20% bad roads. And I do value ride quality and good road grip.

For all that you have mentioned, the Yoko Geolandar would be almost perfect. The Continental Cross Contact AT would be very good off road but on road grip and braking would suffer.

Prices are around 7500 or so for the Yokos and 7800 or so for the Contis.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:18   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
For all that you have mentioned, the Yoko Geolandar would be almost perfect.
You mean the AT-S? Would you put it above the Michelin LTX AT2?

How about Pirelli Scorpion ATR?

Both Pirelli and Michelin are rated above Yoko at Tirerack. Is that applicable to my usage?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 21st October 2012, 19:02   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the AT-S? Would you put it above the Michelin LTX AT2?

How about Pirelli Scorpion ATR?

Both Pirelli and Michelin are rated above Yoko at Tirerack. Is that applicable to my usage?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Pirelli Scoprion should be good but I dont have enough real world reviews to give you a truthful answer. At best, I can give oyu marketing BS!

Michelin is a fantastic option but currently unavailable. Given that, the Yoko is almost like a default choice!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks