Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 10:01   #661
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

The dash indicator can be misleading ; it calculates an approx. FE based on speed and engine rpm.

If you are on 235/70R16 tyres , your odo will show 2%less distance covered .So please add 2% to your calculated FE (OE tyres are 225/70R16)

The lows are HIDs and better left untouched.You could try Xtreme vision bulbs on the highs - but replacement is a little tricky, especially on the left headlamp assembly where you will find very little room to twist and put the new bulb back.
I am running on standard 225/70 R16 tyres.
I am going to get the throttle body cleaned during the steering parts replacement. Let me see if there is any improvement.
Other than that the only simple change would be to go in for a K&N filter in place of the standard one. Will do that next and see if there is any improvement.
The basic reason for low consumption is the insufficient torque upto 2000 rpm. Due to this the AT box keeps in lower gear affecting consumption. For my sedate driving style turbo charging will not work as the benefits start after 2000 rpm. Supercharging would be too costly. So possibly I will try a piggy back ecu or something. Have ordered a OBD2 bluetooth scanner to start with. Will start a separate thread to record my experiences.

The low beam bulb is Halogen. It is a low beam only projector system.
Old 5th June 2015, 20:46   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

One 2.4L GV has come up in our classifieds.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...d-Vitara.html/
Old 5th June 2015, 21:24   #663
Team-BHP Support

Wow, and he has priced it reasonably unlike the ridiculous prices I see for Fortuner of the same vintage. Keep in mind it costs almost as Fortuner for a new one.

I hope someone who knows the true value of Grand Vitara 2.4L gets to own it, assuming it has a clean record and is well maintained.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th June 2015 at 21:27.
Old 6th June 2015, 18:35   #664
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Can anyone advice me on how to fix the rattle of parcel tray on top of the boot in the Grand Vitara.
Old 6th June 2015, 23:26   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
Can anyone advice me on how to fix the rattle of parcel tray on top of the boot in the Grand Vitara.
Never heard of this before... why does it rattle, it is secured pretty well.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 14:14   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Never heard of this before... why does it rattle, it is secured pretty well.
The locks are worn out and with every jump such as a pot hole or a speed breaker it makes noise as it jumps with the car. I hope I could explain it properly.
Old 8th June 2015, 10:47   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
The locks are worn out and with every jump such as a pot hole or a speed breaker it makes noise as it jumps with the car. I hope I could explain it properly.
In my car the clips fall off from the u-hooks whenever the rear seat is reclined.
A Juggad fix would be as follows:-
Use insulation tape and wind on the hook till the play reduces. However you will not be able to use the parcel tray frequently. Same can be done for where the tray side lugs fit into the trim recesses.

@Samurai,

I am planning to upgrade to the MapmyIndia head unit. I am planning to install component speakers, with passive crossover, in the front.

I find that there is a subwoofer unit under the front passenger seat. But the service manual does not show any separate wiring for the same. Are you able to separately control the subwoofer volume? Did you change any speakers?

Last edited by Samurai : 8th June 2015 at 11:14. Reason: back-to-back post
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:19   #668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I am planning to upgrade to the MapmyIndia head unit. I am planning to install component speakers, with passive crossover, in the front.
Keep in mind the software is very buggy, while it looks very neat.

Quote:
I find that there is a subwoofer unit under the front passenger seat. But the service manual does not show any separate wiring for the same. Are you able to separately control the subwoofer volume? Did you change any speakers?
I am not really into ICE, I have't tried to change speakers or other components.
Old 8th June 2015, 11:46   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Keep in mind the software is very buggy, while it looks very neat.

I am not really into ICE, I have't tried to change speakers or other components.
Is it the navigation software or the overall unit that is buggy?

Last edited by sridhar-v : 8th June 2015 at 11:47. Reason: grammar
Old 8th June 2015, 17:30   #670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it the navigation software or the overall unit that is buggy?
The navigation software is Okish, but the rest is worse. It does hang once in while. The MP3 player has a mind of its own, be happy it at least plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
I was advised to change the clutch plates, clutch cover and releaser bearing by the A.S.S. The costs are as follows;

Clutch plates 7200.
Clutch cover 7500.
Releaser bearing 15000.
Service charges approx 2000, total about 25k.
I just drove this Grand Vitara. There is nothing wrong with the clutch pedal or the clutch. I could accelerate quickly on level roads in 5th, climb flyovers in 4th, etc. The clutch pedal feels just like it does on any other Vitara. But I agree not everybody can be happy with that. But there is a way out.

Behind the pedal, look for the following components and remove them. It will make clutch pedal operation much easier. Do this at your own risk, I don't know the long term affect of this surgery.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img20150531wa0001.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 8th June 2015 at 17:52.
Old 8th June 2015, 18:46   #671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Behind the pedal, look for the following components and remove them. It will make clutch pedal operation much easier. Do this at your own risk, I don't know the long term affect of this surgery.

Attachment 1379809
That is the clutch pedal return spring. GV has hydrolic or cable system for clutch?

If you don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving, removing the spring should not cause an issue. But if you do you will slip the clutch and won't even realize it.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 18:58   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That is the clutch pedal return spring. GV has hydrolic or cable system for clutch?
It is a hydraulic clutch, and Sachin has removed these parts from his Vitara clutch pedal and he is doing fine without it.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:01   #673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is a hydraulic clutch, and Sachin has removed these parts from his Vitara clutch pedal and he is doing fine without it.
As i said earlier, it should be fine as long as one does not rest foot on the pedal. The pedal weight by itself would not move the clutch (without any force applied) i guess.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:27   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Samurai,

I have seen many pics of the Pioneer Touchscreen HUs installed on the GV. I would however admit that the MMI unit looks perfect though on the GV Console. Since you want to add Comps etc dont you think a Pioneer, Alpine, JBL, Sony etc would make sense rather than the MMI unit. And i think even these units can be teamed up with the Steering Controls easily.

http://pioneer-india.in/product-cate...nt/head-units/

I have been eyeing these for some time now. Just waiting to get a GV first

Last edited by Samurai : 8th June 2015 at 19:42. Reason: quote fixed
Old 9th June 2015, 09:47   #675
BHPian

Quote:
The navigation software is Okish, but the rest is worse. It does hang once in while. The MP3 player has a mind of its own, be happy it at least plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have seen many pics of the Pioneer Touchscreen HUs installed on the GV. I would however admit that the MMI unit looks perfect though on the GV Console. Since you want to add Comps etc dont you think a Pioneer, Alpine, JBL, Sony etc would make sense rather than the MMI unit. And i think even these units can be teamed up with the Steering Controls easily.
http://pioneer-india.in/product-cate...nt/head-units/
I have been eyeing these for some time now. Just waiting to get a GV first
Thanks for the inputs. Will look at the established brands also.

@Desmosedici - best of luck in your search. If you get a good piece just grab it. A bit of premium paid would be definitely worth it as the Grand Vitara is an excellent vehicle.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks