Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 13:00   #886
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My Grand Vitara completes 9 years today, has clocked around 113,000kms. Still in great shape, I don't have any plans for replacement for the next 4-5 years. It feels that good to drive. Now it has new shoes too, the Michelin LTX AT2. This is the 4th set of tyres it has.

This is the recent service bill at 108,000kms. Most of it is synthetic oil cost.

Attachment 1573003
That's awesome! Just a testament to solid build quality of these CBUs.

My GV may need new shoes in 2-3 months it seems. Two tires seem worn out, though not completely, while two still have fair amount of life left in them. How much did these Michelins' cost you if you don't mind sharing?
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 16:09   #887
Team-BHP Support

I paid 8K per tyre, balancing and alignment free. Only weights and new valves were charged extra. I replaced all 5 tyres because for 4WD, you shouldn't use different wear tyres.
Old 7th November 2016, 09:14   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
That's awesome! Just a testament to solid build quality of these CBUs.

My GV may need new shoes in 2-3 months it seems. Two tires seem worn out, though not completely, while two still have fair amount of life left in them. How much did these Michelins' cost you if you don't mind sharing?
Rattanw I also need to replace my tyres in 2-3 months. Will see what I can get in Gurgaon. Most likely Delhi will have better prices. At least it will be sort of a bulk buy if we both get together.
Old 7th November 2016, 09:43   #889
BHPian

Quote:
I paid 8K per tyre, balancing and alignment free. Only weights and new valves were charged extra. I replaced all 5 tyres because for 4WD, you shouldn't use different wear tyres.
8k / piece seems an excellent price. Last I checked about GV tires, one of the reputed dealers quoted approx. 8400 plus balancing and alignment extra for the stock Yokohamas. Couple of other dealers have quoted upto 8800 per tire (Yokohama). Not sure about Michelins though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Rattanw I also need to replace my tyres in 2-3 months. Will see what I can get in Gurgaon. Most likely Delhi will have better prices. At least it will be sort of a bulk buy if we both get together.
Would love to do that sir, but am based in Hyderabad since last one year. Here in hyderabad, there are couple of reliable tire dealers from what I have heard so far. Last month, I got new tires for my santro @ 3100 / piece (Bridgestone 165 70R13). I will keep you posted on the price for GV tires as and when I get around to replacing those. Thanks.
Old 7th November 2016, 10:00   #890
BHPian

Mods, sorry for back to back posts. This is a different issue though.

I noticed 2 - 3 months ago that GV is leaking steering fluid. The leak was not much initially, and I managed with regular top up. However, after the last top up about 3 weeks back, I noticed what seems like significant leakage (at least looks to me). The leakage happened when car was parked over three nights at three different spots (I moved the car to a different spot in the morning after). Before the leak, I topped oil upto maximum level, not sure if the increased oil pressure was the reason for leak or if the existing leak is actually getting worse. If the leak is getting worse, then the entire oil should drain off, but that is not happening. The steering feels just a little hard, not overly hard. The current level of oil is near to minimum mark and I am topping it very less to prevent further leakages. Here I am posting pics of the same (using a 1 litre water bottle for scale).

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20161101_21_11_45_pro.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20161101_21_11_58_pro.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20161101_21_12_11_pro.jpg
(using a 1 litre water bottle for scale)

From repairs stanpoint, I hope the hydraulic steerings are alike and there is not much difference between various brands, apart from minor differences which will mean that any knowledgable mechanic can work on my GV to fix the issue. MASS guys have suggested repair cost to be in the region of 60 - 70,000.

Will appreciate if someone can suggest reiable mechanics in Hyderabad who can work on hydraluic steering systems and provide some more information on this issue.

Last edited by rattanw : 7th November 2016 at 10:04.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:40   #891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From repairs stanpoint, I hope the hydraulic steerings are alike and there is not much difference between various brands, apart from minor differences which will mean that any knowledgable mechanic can work on my GV to fix the issue. MASS guys have suggested repair cost to be in the region of 60 - 70,000.
I checked up on this with a reliable source. I was told there is nothing to be repaired. The entire steering assembly have to be replaced and the part cost would be ₹43700.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:46   #892
BHPian

Quote:
MASS guys have suggested repair cost to be in the region of 60 - 70,000.
The steering assembly was replaced in my 2008 MT for ~44k last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Have you decided on the brand? I am also looking to get new tyres in the coming months. Currently have Geolander 235/17/R16 AT-S.
Old 8th November 2016, 00:04   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
The steering assembly was replaced in my 2008 MT for ~44k last year.
Quote:
I checked up on this with a reliable source. I was told there is nothing to be repaired. The entire steering assembly have to be replaced and the part cost would be ₹43700.
Great. Though very expensive, I guess there is not another choice. Will contact Rotex Auto parts guys tomorrow to place the order.

Can I ask you gentlemen one final question - till the time part arrives, could there be any potential harm in driving the car regularly with regular oil top ups other than heavy steering. Or should I avoid it completely? Just want to avoid any unnecessary damage.
Old 8th November 2016, 00:17   #894
Team-BHP Support

Just avoid it. Don't take unnecessary risk to yourself or the vehicle.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:45   #895
BHPian

Quote:
I guess there is not another choice.
I think one reason you should avoid driving is that if leakage increases unpredictably, you might end up damaging the power steering pump or getting stranded somewhere. But it's not like you can't make one trip to the MASS to get it repaired.

I should add that it is not totally impossible to get the steering rack repaired. I've read on the forum that some people have gotten theirs repaired if it was the case of worn out bushings or oil seals etc. Some people have had to replace the whole rack. I'd recommend reading up on it further. If it makes sense for you to invest the time in getting it diagnosed correctly and repaired, perhaps you can give that a try. MASS will likely not repair it for you (only replace); this will have to be done outside.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 8th November 2016 at 08:48.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:04   #896
BHPian

You're right. MASS will only go for replacement, that's a standard. The trouble with outside repair jobs is two fold. First, you need to have some knowledge about the job, which I don't have. And second, you must know a good trustworthy mechanic, which also i don't know here in Hyderabad. Hence, my options are limited ��

Anyway, will try to find out the part availability and take it from there. Thanks for your help.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:16   #897
Team-BHP Support

With something as important as steering wheel, I wouldn't trust anything but genuine part.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 19:14   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Have you decided on the brand? I am also looking to get new tyres in the coming months. Currently have Geolander 235/17/R16 AT-S.
Not yet. I have the Geolander G93 225/65/R17, and I'll prob go with the same unless there is a good reason not to.
Old 9th November 2016, 20:45   #899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The leakage happened when car was parked over three nights at three different spots (I moved the car to a different spot in the morning after). Before the leak, I topped oil upto maximum level, not sure if the increased oil pressure was the reason for leak or if the existing leak is actually getting worse.
====
Will appreciate if someone can suggest reiable mechanics in Hyderabad who can work on hydraluic steering systems and provide some more information on this issue.
Search for oil seals for the steering rack online, if they are available this is a simple straight forward job. MASS would always act smart and ask for a replacement of rack, samething happened with our Hyundai which infact was originally owned by Samurai. Fixed it for under 2500 bucks with OE seals, been few years and 20 thousand plus kms (touch wood) and working AOK.

Kit would be something like this (ps this is an example and might not be for your model, so check with model year and other details) http://www.alatmobil.com/power-steer...nd-vitara.html
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 21:46   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Search for oil seals for the steering rack online, if they are available this is a simple straight forward job. MASS would always act smart and ask for a replacement of rack, samething happened with our Hyundai which infact was originally owned by Samurai. Fixed it for under 2500 bucks with OE seals, been few years and 20 thousand plus kms (touch wood) and working AOK.
Quote:
Anyway, will try to find out the part availability and take it from there. Thanks for your help.
Additionally, You may kindly let me know if you need any part numbers for your GV. I'd be happy to help you along with the prices.

Posting pics of parts for 2.4L Grand Vitara.

Steering column
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-steering-column.jpg
Steering unit(RHD)
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-steering-unit-rhd.jpg
PS Pump unit
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-ps-pump.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th November 2016 at 21:55.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed