Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2017, 16:54   #946
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Has anybody been able to source a Power Steering Rack Seal Kit and successfully repaired a leaking Power Steering ? I want to try this if I get the kit rather than spend 50K on replacing the complete Power Steering Rack assembly. I have reliable and competent Mechanics who will fix it if we get the spares.
Old 17th April 2017, 08:27   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Has anybody been able to source a Power Steering Rack Seal Kit
I have reliable and competent Mechanics who will fix it if we get the spares.
Rane used to be in the business of rectification of power steering rakes ; not sure if they are still in it.

If you have a good machinist, why don't you ask if they can retrofit seals of another car and make this work? I am sure the seals in the Grand Vitara steering rake aren't an odd size.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 17:06   #948
BHPian

Hi all

Update on the progress of my Grand Vitara.

1. New Minda Horns Installed.
2. Self Bendix Gear Repaired and Self fixed.
3. Was able to make an Aux Cable for the Stock Stereo and then Fixed a Fluke Tantra Bluetooth through this.
Used info from the following links :
http://onglipo.blogspot.in/2008/07/s...o-connect.html
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...formation.html
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...ra-2007-a.html
Now I can play music from the playlists on my phone, receive calls. This is amazing. I installed a similar Kinivo Bluetooth in my Camry 2007.
Whatever happens to your phone / music through Aux Headphones happens through Bluetooth. Music fades when there is an incoming call and comes back when the call ends.
If anybody needs help with this feel free to contact me.
4. There was no AC Filter. Got a Scorpio Filter fitted from Cool Days (Manjit Singh) listed in the Team-Bhp Delhi/NCR Directory.
5 Complete Washing including Engine Bay after applying diesel to remove the leaked oil from the power steering and Vacuum Cleaning inside -There was lots of dust all over.

Next on the to-do list :
1. Power Steering
2. Clutch.

The clutch is working fine for now but needs adjustment. Since this is an hydraulic clutch, is there any adjustment possible ?

Styler
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 17:14   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The clutch is working fine for now but needs adjustment. Since this is an hydraulic clutch, is there any adjustment possible ?

Styler
Nothing much apart from a complete drain of fluid and bleeding line. Sometimes this improves the pedal feel.

Edit: If it has adjustable pedal end, maybe you can play with clutch engagement point also. Usually this is set for life and does not need any adjustments.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th April 2017 at 17:19.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 21:06   #950
BHPian

I have a few questions for the Vitara owners here :

1. I figured nothing in the Wiper Switches is working (Front Wipers, Mist, Rear Wipers, Mist ) What should be checked first. Fuse ? Cabling ?

2. All my life I have driven vehicles with light switches on the right but the Grand Vitara has light Switches on the left. Isn't it odd ? When I had to give turn indicators, I pressed on the Wiper stick on the right a few times by mistake. Are there other cars with Light switches on the left and Wiper switches on the right ?

3. All the lights on the Audio/Climate Control panel will remain Red ? I don't know who could have thought of all Red lights.

Styler
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 17:46   #951
BHPian

Quote:
I figured nothing in the Wiper Switches is working (Front Wipers, Mist, Rear Wipers, Mist ) What should be checked first. Fuse ? Cabling
Could definitely be a blown wiper fuse in the fuse box or a faulty ground in the switch. If not, this section from the service manual might help diagnose with a multimeter (pdf).

wiper.pdf

Quote:
Are there other cars with Light switches on the left and Wiper switches on the right ?
Ecosport too if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 19th April 2017 at 18:09.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:47   #952
BHPian

Hello

A few more questions about the Grand Vitara.

1. Although the AC is running well in my Vitara, I showed it to Manjit Singh of Cool Days (Team-Bhp NCR directory). He recommended we get the AC Serviced and the Cooling Coil Cleaned. To access the Cooling Coil the whole dashboard has to be removed and it is a 1 day job.
Has anybody got the AC Serviced with the cleaning of the Cooling Coil/ or had the Cooling coil replaced ? Will the Maruti Authorized Service Center do the job of cleaning the Cooling Coil as part of the AC Service ?

2. I try to keep the AC into internal Circulation mode, but I have randomly noticed it going to fresh air mode. I couldn't figure out what causes it to go to the fresh air mode.

3. The rear glass and the last 2 quarter panels after the Rear window seem to have no film but seem to be tinted glass. Is this how it is ? This will cause big problems in Chandigarh and Punjab where they stop and fine the moment they see tinted glasses on a car.

4. I know it depends on how one drives, but around how many Kms is the Clutch Overall due in the Grand Vitara ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 24th April 2017 at 10:49.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 11:07   #953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Although the AC is running well in my Vitara, I showed it to Manjit Singh of Cool Days (Team-Bhp NCR directory). He recommended we get the AC Serviced and the Cooling Coil Cleaned. To access the Cooling Coil the whole dashboard has to be removed and it is a 1 day job.
To start with, have you cleaned the AC filter? That usually fixes the AC performance on Grand Vitara.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 11:58   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
To start with, have you cleaned the AC filter? That usually fixes the AC performance on Grand Vitara.
Thanks Samurai.
When I got the Grand Vitara, that was the first thing I checked and to my surprise there was no filter there at all.
I immediately went to my AC guy and he fixed a Scorpio Filter (250mm X 200mmm) which is smaller to the Grand Vitara Filter (270mm X 200mm) so doesn't fit exactly but is at least better than nothing. I will try to source the correct size from Maruti Authorized Parts shop.
The AC is working fine, but the AC person just opined that after 10 years the cooling coil should be cleaned otherwise with lot of dirt it might deteriorate and leak. It's supposed to be just a preventive thing.

Samurai Since your Grand Vitara has done more than 1.1 Lac kms can you tell me if you got the Clutch overhauled , and if so after how many Kms ?
Old 24th April 2017, 12:09   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai Since your Grand Vitara has done more than 1.1 Lac kms can you tell me if you got the Clutch overhauled , and if so after how many Kms ?
My Grand Vitara just crossed 117,000 this weekend. My clutch is doing fine so far. Just the other day I accidentally let go the clutch at 5th gear while I came to stop, as I got distracted by some multitasking. It stalled and engine switched off. So I think I am good for a while.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th April 2017 at 12:12.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 09:20   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Hello

A few more questions about the Grand Vitara.

2. I try to keep the AC into internal Circulation mode, but I have randomly noticed it going to fresh air mode. I couldn't figure out what causes it to go to the fresh air mode.

Styler
The circulation changes to Fresh Air mode when the AC is at Auto (both blower function and direction control) and the temperature knob is moved above above 25 degree C. I have faced it only then. If temperature is below 25 degrees, inner air circulation will continue to be selected.

Try it and see. This was my observation.
prateekswarup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 20:54   #957
BHPian

There is a fairly noticeable/loud vibration from the gear lever when I rev the engine beyond 3500 RPM. The noise dampens if I keep my hand on the lever. Is this something anyone else has faced? My engine mounts are good. Not sure what else could it be. Somewhere in the driveline? Where could be a good place to start?

I usually never take the vehicle beyond 3000 RPM anyway, but something seems amiss.

PS: I sometimes feel bad about hijacking Samurai's thread with general GV questions. Samurai, please let us know if you would prefer a separate thread for these.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 28th April 2017 at 21:02.
Old 28th April 2017, 22:46   #958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
PS: I sometimes feel bad about hijacking Samurai's thread with general GV questions. Samurai, please let us know if you would prefer a separate thread for these.
No issues. We GV owners are such a small community, we can't go on opening too many thread.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:26   #959
BHPian

I got some preventive maintenance done over the last 2 months.

I changed the rear brake cylinders and liners. I also changed the engine serpentine belt and pulleys.

All my doors were not staying open. So I ordered 4 door stops and got 2. Looking forward to getting the remainder 2 soon.

The MASS system throws up the wrong part nos for the serpentine belt. So it would be a good point to crosscheck with your existing belt number before ordering.

Here are the part nos. and prices for reference. All prices are basic, taxes extra.:-

53200-65J02 Brake Shoe Set Rear Rs, 3933.92 for both wheels
53402-65D00 RR Wheel Cylinder Assly Rs. 2001.76 each
17530-77E00 Idler Pulley Rs. 1164.75
17540-77E10 Tensioner Assly Rs, 3784.14 (changed it for peace of mind)
95141-60390 Belt (5PK1650) Rs. 2362.11 (for 2007 2L AT engine!!!)
8180-65J02 Front Door Open Stop Rs. 839.64 each. (common for rear also)

The following 2 outlets, in Pune, are for over the counter purchase in case you want to diy or go to a neighbourhood garage:-

Sai Service
H-99 Chaphekar Road, opp Sanakruti Soc;
Off Satara road; Near Neelayam Theater chowk, Pune

Auto Antariksh
Gat no 2404, Wageshwar Nagar;
Near Wageshwar Mandir, Wagholi, Pune

I am getting the feeling that MASS system is now taking longer to source parts, even though all parts were eventually located in various parts of India.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:10   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

All my doors were not staying open. So I ordered 4 door stops and got 2. Looking forward to getting the remainder 2 soon.

Hi Sridhar,

The doors just close off on their own, won't stay open in my Grand Vitara 2007 too. Are the door stoppers meant to fix that ?. Can you post an image of these and I will also order.

I ordered the main belt for my Grand Vitara 2007 Manual 2.0 L. I ordered the part number recommended by Shashi Ji in MGP Parts thread.
Part Number: 17521-77E20 Name: BELT (5PK1545) ESCUDO Price: Rs. 1664
It has arrived and I will be picking it up tomorrow. I hope this is the right one.

I need to replace the Disk Pads, Link Rods and bushes in the front suspension. Do you think ordering through MGP is the only option or could these be available in the market as well. Any good brand of Disk Pads available off the shelf for the Vitara 2007 ?

Styler

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:05. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability

Most Viewed