Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:29   #961
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Part Number: 17521-77E20 Name: BELT (5PK1545)
It has arrived and I will be picking it up tomorrow. I hope this is the right now.

Any good brand of Disk Pads available off the shelf for the Vitara 2007 ?
You might be able to check what belt you're running currently. In multiple places I've seen the 5PK1560 instead of 5PK1545 for the 2.0 GV. I'm not sure if a difference of 15mm in belt length matters or not (it might not I'm guessing?).

https://boodmo.com/catalog/3668-v_be...itara-2_0_awd/

Also, aftermarket disc pads like Bosch etc should do fine.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 2nd May 2017 at 09:34.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:19   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sridhar,

The doors just close off on their own, won't stay open in my Grand Vitara 2007 too. Are the door stoppers meant to fix that ?. Can you post an image of these and I will also order.

Here goes:
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-door-stopper.jpgThe First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-stopper-gv.jpg

It is a complete assly and holds the door open in multiple positions.
The trick is to order 1 qty. in each order. So if you need 4 ask MASS to place 4 orders of 1 no. each. It is some issue with their computer system.

Re the serpentine belt - try it out. If it does not fit you can order as per the number of your existing belt.

My vehicle can with a lot of non-oem replacement parts. I was forced to replace them as all problems were traced to them. You can read my posts, in this thread, about the problems i faced with front brakes. I have found that there is no price advantage in going in for non-oem makes.

Order all the required parts thru MASS. It takes time but you will get good cheap OE parts.

I am attaching a pdf file listing some of the parts our Pune group have changed.
PUNE_GV_Parts.pdf

All the best.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:05. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:20   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

=======
Order all the required parts thru MASS. It takes time but you will get good cheap OE parts...
Thanks Sridhar
I also need the door stoppers for all 4 doors.
I will stick to ordering from MGP Store.
They have been able to all the parts I ordered in 3 days except for the Wiper Motor Assembly which was not available in India.

Right now I just need to order
1. Disk Pads - Original ones are Hitachi with Hitachi SJ04A FP65JI engraved, and J016 Stamped on it.
2. Door Stoppers.
3. Link Rods

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:06. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:16   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sridhar
I also need the door stoppers for all 4 doors.
I will stick to ordering from MGP Store.
They have been able to all the parts I ordered in 3 days except for the Wiper Motor Assembly which was not available in India.

Right now I just need to order
1. Disk Pads - Original ones are Hitachi with Hitachi SJ04A FP65JI engraved, and J016 Stamped on it.
2. Door Stoppers.
3. Link Rods
When replacing the disk pads ask them to check the condition of The pad liners. (55234-50J00 Pad A Liner). If they are missing or in bad condition you will get brake squealing.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 17:30   #965
BHPian

Okay guys a few quick questions came to mind while my Grand Vitara is away for a Dent Paint Job.

1. My Gear Knob has lot of play. Has anybody experienced this and got it fixed ?

2. Are window glasses factory tinted ? I don't seem to see film but the glasses seem to be tinted, specially the last 2 quarter panels on each side. This will be a major problem in Chandigarh and Punjab.

3. I just opened the Spare Tyre Cover - and I found a brand new unused MRF Wanderer 235/70/R16 under it. Even the Sticker on the flat surface is intact.
Of the 4 tyres being used 3 are totally worn out, and a fourth is in 60% used condition. I am thinking of buying 3 MRF Wanderers and use these with the new one that I found as spare. The 60% used one can be the spare. I was originally planning to buy 4 X Yokohomas. Now I want to know if anybody has a feedback of the MRF Wanderers ?

Sridhar
I was told by LeoShashi in the MGP thread that the door stoppers are different for front and rear, so I have ordered a pair of each. Lets see how it goes. Now waiting for the Side Brackets for the new Front Bumper, Link Rods, Brake Pads, Tail Light, Rear Mud Flaps and a few other things.
The Wind-shield Wiper Motors Assembly, Main Belt, Cabin Filter, Front Bumper etc have arrived.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 4th May 2017 at 17:36.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 19:32   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Are window glasses factory tinted ?
They should be, with approx. 50 plus percent VLT. I would assume that the rear quarters have film on them - pictures would help judge better.

Quote:
3. found a brand new unused MRF Wanderer 235/70/R16
feedback of the MRF Wanderers ?
I haven't used Wanderers but have heard that they are the cheapest tyres in this size. You should get approx. 50k kms life from them.

Yokohama Geolandar AT-S will last 65k-70k kms.

I would say go with 3 Wanderers OR sell the new and 60% wanderers and get five Yokos.(option1 would be more cost effective)

The only issue is that with a brand new Yoko in the 235/70 size, the spare wheel cover may not close that easily.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th May 2017 at 20:01. Reason: use multi-quote instead of inline
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 20:06   #967
Team-BHP Support

I am not aware of any factory tinting on Grand Vitara. I remember checking long ago.

I used MRF Wanderer as my 3rd set of tyres, ran it for 56K kms. It held up very well for 50K and then started wearing out fast. The quality of tyres is hit or miss. I needed 250gms of weight while balancing one of the tyres. But the ride comfort and grip is not too far from Michelin.

Always change all 4/5 tyres together because this is a 4WD and expects similar diameter from all tyres.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 12:40   #968
BHPian

Hi All

Has anybody got excessive play in the Gear Lever. Is it an easy fix ?

I have got the Grand Vitara back after Denting / Painting.
Next is seat Covers. I am planning not to get Art Leather. I will be looking for Corduroy-Velvet kind of cloth for covers. Art Leather really burns your butt in Delhi summer. I will be posting pictures when everything is done.

I got everything from MGP - GAPL, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi except the following
1 X Bumper bracket (Ordered 2, got 1)
1 X Rear Mud Flap (Ordered 2, got 1)
1 X Rear Door Stopper (Ordered 2, got 1)
1 X Front Door Stopper (Ordered 2, got 1)

Front Fog light of Swift fits in.

Styler
Old 15th May 2017, 17:18   #969
BHPian

Hi everyone
I faced a strange problem few months back when we were riding to Lohagad Fort near lonavala. Some of the Uphill inclines are abnormally steep, right from the point they start. On one of these nasty inclines as i took a almost 180 degree left turn and started the climb in first gear, i noticed the GV is shaking and vibrations were abnormally high. Accelerated to engage 2nd gear and the RPM was 2000+ so the sufficient power was being delivered to the wheels. The vibrations/jarring continued.
Similar thing happenedon our way back to lonavala even in the reverse gear when we had to back the GV to a spot we missed while gong down the incline.
Never encountered these vibrations/jarring otherwise on my way to lonavala or parking lots in Mumbai(where the ramps are much tamed anyways).

Could this be the clutch plate slipping against the flywheel. Is this normal or i need replacements with the clutch. Members who visited Lohagad in there GV can visualize how severe the inclines are. I feel the ghats are pretty steep in Lohagad.
spgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 09:59   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
...I faced a strange problem few months back when we were riding to Lohagad Fort near lonavala. Some of the Uphill inclines are abnormally steep, right from the point they start.
==========
Could this be the clutch plate slipping against the flywheel. Is this normal or i need replacements with the clutch. Members who visited Lohagad in there GV can visualize how severe the inclines are. I feel the ghats are pretty steep in Lohagad.
I have an AT, but feel competent to comment as I keep driving the MTs in our group. And I have been to Lohagad in my GV.
Steep slopes are no hurdle for the car. In a manual gearbox model the clutch will easily last 60k kms. After that the wear can be non-linear and subsequent clutch life depends on your driving & luck.

The symptoms you are describing are classic signs of clutch wear. Another way of checking clutch wear on a level road is as follows:
Go to 100kmph+ in fifth gear and then abruptly slow down to 30-40 kmph, keeping the vehicle in 5th. gear. Then try accelerating back without downshifting.
The engine has enough power to pull the car, but if you get juddering then the clutch life is getting over. You can try this with only driver on board and then with full load.

On very steep turns you could also be getting whining from your power steering pump which also causes slight vibration in the steering wheel. This is a sign that the hydraulic fluid is at end of life. Changing the fluid solves the issue.

All the best.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:17. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 09:33   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am not aware of any factory tinting on Grand Vitara. I remember checking long ago.
Hi Samurai

I just saw the pictures of your Grand Vitara in the first post of this thread. The last 2 glasses and the rear glass do look tinted. Did you get a film applied when you bought your car or do you think these were factory tinted glasses.

Styler
Old 20th May 2017, 10:22   #972
Team-BHP Support

Of course I had the tints applied when I bought the car. It is a necessity in the coast. But like everyone else, I had to remove it in order to eliminate the rape problem in New Delhi.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:07   #973
BHPian

Quote:
.........Another way of checking clutch wear on a level road is as follows:
Go to 100kmph+ in fifth gear and then abruptly slow down to 30-40 kmph, keeping the vehicle in 5th. gear. Then try accelerating back without downshifting.
The engine has enough power to pull the car, but if you get juddering then the clutch life is getting over. You can try this with only driver on board and then with full load.....
Thanks for the reply sridhar-v. I did try the car in top gear at 30-40Kmph after deceleration from 90+ and she pulled up smoothly. Since the car has done 108000 KM i suspect the clutch. Will get the clutch checked at MASS.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:01. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 26th May 2017, 16:48   #974
R_R
BHPian

Hi,

I have been having a bit of a problem with my GV (2008-MT, 82k kms, mostly city). It is very difficult to shift to 1st or 2nd gear from stop (such as at a traffic light). I bled the clutch, and it improved substantially, but it is still difficult. MASS (first at Competent, Gurgaon, then at Prem Motors, Gurgaon) says I have to replace the clutch. I agreed (at Prem). Initially, they insisted clutch plate, pressure plate, flywheel and clutch bearing all have to be replaced. I can't understand why the flywheel would be a problem, so I refused to change the flywheel. I asked them to order clutch plate (Rs. 7200) and pressure plate (Rs. 8500). They also say I should change the clutch bearing (Rs. 7400).

My question is: Can anyone tell whether it is necessary to do that when the clutch plate and pressure plate is changed? Incidentally, labour charge they quoted is Rs. 6000. And bleeding was just Rs. 650. I had to pay an advance for them to order the parts, since no one seems to have it in stock. I also find it a bit odd that parts have to be ordered without knowing for sure what the problem is.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:02. Reason: Edited post for better readability
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 08:48   #975
BHPian

Quote:
The trick is to order 1 qty. in each order. So if you need 4 ask MASS to place 4 orders of 1 no. each. It is some issue with their computer system.
Guys I have a good news for you. If your door stoppers are worn doors will just not stay open and close on their own . I ordered door stoppers at 953 each. When my denter was installing these he told me these are same as swift desire. I took one old one to the MGP store and matched these with the ones for swift desire and they are exactly same. The ones for swift desire cost Rs 100 each. I already spent 4K on these and you can get all 4 replaced for 400. And best of all the ones for Swift Desire are available off the shelf whereas I had to wait 15 days for the ones for Grand Vitara.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Styler is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed