Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 05:01   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
That's sad to know but did the pump fail all of a sudden? Does it show some kind of a warning? Before seizing the temperature would have shot up, right? Just being curious, suppose the vehicle would have been stopped and then towed it would have saved the engine? Age of the engine makes any difference to it?
Yes the car would have continued servicing though the engine compression was getting low and would have faced top overhaul in next twenty thirty thousand kilometres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Sudev Ji I know it would have been hard for you to give up on your previous Grand Vitara. We all love our Cars and get emotionally attached to them, specially when you have driven it 2,75,000 kms.
Congratulations on the new 2008 Grand Vitara AT.
I read this thread and your thread completely to gain knowledge about the Grand Vitara before I bought one in May this year. You are truly an inspiration to all of us other Grand Vitara owners.
I bought a Grand Vitara 2007 Manual which has done about 92000 kms. I am still learning about the vehicle. Hope to keep it for the next 5 years.
All the best and wish you many many more kilometers on your new Grand Vitara.
Styler
This one has 120000km on ODO. I hope to get good many more on it.
Old 10th September 2017, 13:33   #1052
BHPian

"thewhiteknight' seems to be too busy to post. I found some pictures of the OME install. So here they are:-

Struts comparo. OME is yellow.
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-strut-comparo.jpg

Strut with spring
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-strut-spring-comparo.jpg

Wheel well height before
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wheel-before.jpg

Wheel well height after
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wheel-after.jpg

Front strut changed
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-strut-fitted.jpg

Door sill bottom before
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-sill-before.jpg

Door sill bottom after
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-sill-after-x.jpg

Spring compressor
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img20161221wa0017.jpg
sridhar-v is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 09:54   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

So very happy to be driving a Grand Vitara all over again. This one is 2.0lt AT and this slightly lower in city average of 8kmpl is almost what I expected. Hopefully long distance would be in region of 10kmpl.

Current grouse is noise from back door panel rattling at stop lights due to lower idle rpms. Disappears when I slot to neutral. Thinking of putting some thick double sided tape between door metal and plastic panel cover. Any other suggestions?

For car with this much on odo absolutely silent otherwise.

Last edited by sudev : 17th September 2017 at 09:55.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 10:43   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ My suggestion would be heatlon epe foam if you want to provide an additional layer for the door pad. They come in various thickness options but 12mm or the size below that should be just fine.

What is the idle rpm at neutral with engine at its normal operating temperature?

Please post some pics, Dada.
Old 18th September 2017, 10:08   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
So very happy to be driving a Grand Vitara all over again. This one is 2.0lt AT and this slightly lower in city average of 8kmpl is almost what I expected. Hopefully long distance would be in region of 10kmpl.

Current grouse is noise from back door panel rattling at stop lights due to lower idle rpms. Disappears when I slot to neutral. Thinking of putting some thick double sided tape between door metal and plastic panel cover. Any other suggestions?

For car with this much on odo absolutely silent otherwise.
My experience may not be exactly relevant but here it is:

On the rare occasions when I sat in the rear seat I noticed that there was a significant amount of vibration and noise. It was like a low frequency noise and rattle from the rear dickey floor pan and a lot of non specific rattling coming from the are where the jack is stored. The noise was only at idling or in low gears. After a lot of investigation I came to the conclusion that the dickey door was having a very marginal play. Tugging on the door did not show any play, so the clearance must have been at sub-millimeter levels.

I got the MASS to adjust the door. Looks like the noise has abated. But to be doubly sure I will have to make the supreme sacrifice and sit in the rear seat for a long drive.

I also have an 2L AT. I am getting between 6.5 -8 kmpl in the city. In my drives, in the hills around Pune, I get between 8-9.5 kmpl. On a couple of 4 lane highway runs I managed 11.5-12.5 kmpl by keeping the speed between 80-90 kmph. During a trip on the Mumbai-Pune expressway i got only around 9 kmpl as I did maintain mildly unmentionable speeds.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 18th September 2017 at 10:14. Reason: Added 1 more point
Old 18th September 2017, 10:14   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh! The sacrifice one makes to keep car in trim!

The rear door has a U sort of rubber on the sill. This needs adjusting if for is loose. However I think it's combination of low rpm shudder and gap in plastic cladding covering the door.

Baby steps

My first GV rear left seat used to vibrate. Noise disappeared when someone sat on it. Traced it to gap between the seat lock and bar underneath. Few rolls around with electric tape made this go away. Though it always made seat difficult to lock in position after finding them for carrying big success cargo.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2017 at 08:14. Reason: Excess dots removed
Old 18th September 2017, 10:18   #1057
BHPian

Hello Bhpians

It may seem out of no where but i have been looking for the Torque Vs RPM curve for GV for some time now, but no luck. May be some of you can help please
Old 18th September 2017, 10:24   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

You are a GV veteran. Nevertheless, here are a few points if you feel the rear door is rattling:

Bang on the rear door at the level of the handle and see if you hear the door rebounding or vibrating.

If yes, loosen the screws of the door lock U striker on the frame and bang it in using a hammer by approx 5mm.Then tighten the screws. Hopefully the play would be gone.

I have done this twice with success.

If the frame rubber beading is worn out, please change it.

Last edited by vigsom : 18th September 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Striker
Old 20th September 2017, 12:42   #1059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
"thewhiteknight' seems to be too busy to post. I found some pictures of the OME install.
I think the part numbers for these are:

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-fullscreen-capture-9202017-103635-am.bmp.jpg

The above is according to OME website for Grand Vitara 2006-2008 sold in India. I am seriously considering it. Any idea about the pricing?

The thing I like about ARB is that they don't compromise ride and handling when providing the lift. That is why they have limited the lift to 20mm only.

I recently had a situation where the Vitara sat on the chassis which trying to park in a farm. An extra inch would have really helped.
Old 21st September 2017, 14:39   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think the part numbers for these are:

The above is according to OME website for Grand Vitara 2006-2008 sold in India. I am seriously considering it. Any idea about the pricing?

The thing I like about ARB is that they don't compromise ride and handling when providing the lift. That is why they have limited the lift to 20mm only.
Yes, the part nos are correct.
The prices paid by "thewhitknight" are as follows:-
1. 2624 - ARB Old Man Emu Front Lift-Spring. Rs. 11,695 for the pair.
2. N218S & N217S - ARB Old Man Emu Front Lift-Strut. Rs. 29,032 for set of RH &LH.
3. 2625 - ARB Old Man Emu Rear Lift-Spring. Rs. 12,685 for the pair.
4. OME036 - ARB Old Man Emu Rear Lift-Nitrocharger shocks. RS. 10,720 for the pair.

Prices may have changed now due to currency fluctuations.

http://4x4offroad.in/
9845024911 - Mr. Ashok.

In addition to the lift of 20mm you will also recover between 30-40 mm of suspension height lost due to spring sag.

Ride stiffness, with the OME lift, is marginally more. But there is absolutely no difference in the handling characteristics. And one can put pedal to the floor on bad roads without having to worry about any scraping of the bottom.

Ask Ashok to be careful of the RH & LH units of the front strut. OME did mess up that consignment. They promptly sent the correct part, but it did take some time to come to Pune.

Due to that "thewhiteknight" did a trip to Goa with one OME strut and one OE strut, as he did not want to loose money on hotel bookings. All the springs and rear shocks were new OME. I drove my GV behind his for about 60 kms of highway and about 40 kms of side roads. I did not notice any abnormal rolling or pitching due to the different struts at the front. Suspension heights were also the same. So it seems that the springs majorily determine the ride height. "thewhiteknight" reported that he vehicle did not drag to one side. To be safe he did drive at sane speeds throughout.

The suspension setup of the GV is a real gem. Takes all sorts of abuse and behaves consistently.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-ome-part-nos-akkhi.jpg  

sridhar-v is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:00   #1061
BHPian

Hi Guys

My Grand Vitara 2.0 will be going for the first time to Maruti Authorized Service Center (Motorcraft) for service. I suppose they will also update the new owner in the online Maruti Suzuki records from the Registration.

Three questions for the experts here.

1. There is an occasional slight tak tak sound while moving from somewhere near the pedals, inside the bonnet. I got the springs of the pedals etc checked, and applied WD40. That did not resolve it. Any more ideas ?

2. The average shown in the display in stop go city traffic in Delhi is between 6.5 -7.0 . Is this normal ? I already have installed iridium plugs, is there anything more - tuning or something which will improve this ?

3. The gear lever has lot of play. Is this an easy fix ?

4. What is the recommended oil and what does the MAS normally use ? I would ideally like to go with Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Will the MAS have this or should I take my own.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 26th September 2017 at 11:04.
Old 27th September 2017, 19:03   #1062
BHPian

Quote:

1. There is an occasional slight tak tak sound while moving from somewhere near the pedals, inside the bonnet. I got the springs of the pedals etc checked, and applied WD40. That did not resolve it. Any more ideas ?

2. The average shown in the display in stop go city traffic in Delhi is between 6.5 -7.0 . Is this normal ? I already have installed iridium plugs, is there anything more - tuning or something which will improve this ?

1. There are a lot of things that can make a sound in the GV. Try and notice whether the "tak tak" noise comes when the wheel is moving over any bumps or small undulations in the road. If that is the case the most likely culprit is a worn lower arm bushing. Other culprits could be a stone in your subframe or worn bushings in the subframe or gearbox/transfer case mounts.
I have been driving with a peculiar "click tak click" sound, from the rear suspension on baa..ad roads, for the last one year. All investigations have turned out to be normal.

2. My display underreports mileage by 10%. 6-7 kmpl in the city is normal if you have a dirty throttle body. You have already changed to irridium sparks. Now ensure that they clean the throttle body & the injectors (I think these have some inline filters). Change the air filter and the fuel filter. Use Shell 5W40 fully synthetic oil. My MASS approves only that and does not recommend Mobil. These points should easily bump up your mileage.

I have an AT box. So cant help you on that point.

Best of luck.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:41. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 10:11   #1063
BHPian

Quote:

3. The gear lever has lot of play. Is this an easy fix ?

Even a squeaky clean throttle body and a perfectly set up GV will not give more than 7.5-8 kmpl in Delhis horrendous traffic . The Cat con in your car will be clogged by now and needs to be either replaced or removed (depends on your environmental conscience) . This combined with a mani-verter delete , will give you about 1kmpl more , with a more peppy drive .

Pls note that with the emissions control equipment delete , the car will not pass the Delhi PUC.

The Gear level play can be addressed by changing the bushes , however the box needs to be removed , and is a labour intensive job .

For the front engine bay noise , get the engine mountings checked , and replace if required .

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:42. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
wbd8779 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:24   #1064
BHPian

@ Styler Here are some more candidates for your tak tak noise:-
1. The front antiroll bar bushings may be worn out.
2. Steering linkage ball joints may have play. But the worn ones on my GV did not make much of a noise.
3. The Stabilizer bar joint (vertical rod connecting the strut and antiroll bar) is always the weakest ling and wears out fast.
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 18:16   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
@ Styler Here are some more candidates for your tak tak noise:-
1. The front antiroll bar bushings may be worn out.
2. Steering linkage ball joints may have play. But the worn ones on my GV did not make much of a noise.
3. The Stabilizer bar joint (vertical rod connecting the strut and antiroll bar) is always the weakest ling and wears out fast.
The Link Rods (Steering linkage ball joints) were replaced when I bought the Grand Vitara. Linkages and the Brake Pads was the only thing recommended for replacement by my mechanics when they did an inspection after removing the wheels.
I will get the front Antiroll bushings and the Stabilizer bar joints checked.

The tak tak sound comes only occasionally when I am driving at slow speeds 10-20kmps. Maybe when accelerating or braking. The mechanics were suspecting engine mounting but the noise is tak tak, too low so I have a feeling that it would be not the mounting.

Anyways it is hardly noticeable and comes occasionally so I am not going to bother until I figure out the exact cause.

I will let the Service Center guys take a test drive and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your ideas.

Styler

Most Viewed