Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 20:11   #1576
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
2. 2 Power Window switches on the the driver door panel are not working. My neighborhood mechanic had a look and he felt that the Switch panel of the new Swift is pretty similar. We will try that. Has anybody tried sourcing the Power Windows Switch Panel ?
Yes the Swift master switch assly is a perfect fit. I will dig out the bill and confirm the part number tomorrow.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:03   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Was the cluster meter ever removed for some job, say, when the dash was opened for AC service? I'd approach this issue by first finding out exactly where the noise is coming from and then tracing the path. I listened to the noise several times. You could try an experiment

1. With the windows down, please operate the door lock and unlock switch a few times and see if the noise perists. Also, with the door closed, observe if the door lock moves a bit in sync with this sound.

2. Disconnect the battery negative, remove the cluster meter console, uncouple the wiring coupler, recouple after 2 mins, connect the battery negative back, and then see.
vigsom The first thought for a Parasitic Current and Battery Drain Problem leads us to your very informative thread where you resolved your problem.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-0-6-0-8v.html (Parasitic Draw Test on a Grand Vitara - Voltage drop of 0.6 to 0.8V)
My first thoughts were also to follow this method to resolve the problem, but then I heard the sound and I'm quite sure that is the culprit for the Parasitic Current.

Thanks for the tips. I will try these today.
First I thought the culprit could be the Door Lock-Unlock Switch next to the Master Power Window Switch as that is not working. When I checked, the All Doors Lock-Unlock Buttons on that switch are working fine.
Meanwhile I made a video, and uploaded it to youtube. The Sound is amplified and the second part of the video is zoomed into the Fuel Gauge and Temperature Needles, you can see the movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Yes the Swift master switch assly is a perfect fit. I will dig out the bill and confirm the part number tomorrow.
sridhar-v Thanks for confirming the idea of my mechanic. I will source the Swift Master Window Switch today and replace it.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 19th November 2021 at 09:24.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:29   #1578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Fuel Gauge and Temperature Needles, you can see the movement
Thank you for the video, @Styler. I see even the tacho needle moving up and down.

Do try to listen to where the noise is coming from exactly, and follow the approach I'd suggested. I somehow feel this has a connection with your security system because when you open the door, you say that the noise vanishes. It could be the master motor on the driver door getting a pulse, the lock-unlock switch on the switch panel misbehaving, the flasher relay getting a command on and off.

One more thing you could try is just disconnect the coupler to the driver door switch assembly and see if the noise comes on with the door closed. Also try to find out when this noise started, and what was done between "no noise " and "yes noise" - that could lead you to the culprit.

Last edited by vigsom : 19th November 2021 at 09:33.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:33   #1579
Distinguished - BHPian

Another approach you can try is with the clicking noise, start pulling out the fuse one by one. The fuse pull that stops the noise is the circuit that you can look further into. Start with the in cabin fuse box and then move to the engine bay fuse box
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:57   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the video, @Styler. I see even the tacho needle moving up and down.

One more thing you could try is just disconnect the coupler to the driver door switch assembly and see if the noise comes on with the door closed. Also try to find out when this noise started, and what was done between "no noise " and "yes noise" - that could lead you to the culprit.
The update is that I bougtht the Swift Power Windows + Door Switch Master Assembly (Minda for 1300) and fitted it myself, all buttons are working, but the Dashboard noise still persists. It means this did not cause the problem, still working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Another approach you can try is with the clicking noise, start pulling out the fuse one by one. The fuse pull that stops the noise is the circuit that you can look further into. Start with the in cabin fuse box and then move to the engine bay fuse box
I will get to this as a next step.

Styler
Old 20th November 2021, 12:55   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Part no is 37990M75J10. Rs. 1580+tax.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:53   #1582
BHPian

So the good news is the problem of the Ticking sound and the Meter Needles moving is gone. I let the experts handle it.

I took the Grand Vitara 2.4 to Motorcraft Noida, the Authorized MUL Workshop and experts with the Grand Vitara In Delhi NCR. I had built good relations with the staff there in the last few years as I used to take my Grand Vitara 2.0 there.

Just got back from Motorcraft. They first checked all Cables and Connectors. Unplugged and plugged back the Couplers . That didn't fix it.
Next the Meter Panel was removed, all connectors cleaned up, meter cover removed and meter electricals cleaned with a blower and fixed back.

The problem was gone after this. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 22nd November 2021 at 16:55.
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:05   #1583
Team-BHP Support

makeover

My Grand Vitara completed 14 years and 150,000kms as of this month. It is a major milestone. A milestone I never expected to reach with any of my 12 cars in 28 years. But a Japanese CBU was able to achieve it, and only because it continues to perform the way it did when it was new.

So my wife and I decided to keep it around for a few more years. But it was time for some long due makeover...
  1. The tyres were replaced last month with Yokohama Geolander AT.
    The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-tire1.jpg
  2. The seat covers had started fraying at the edges.
  3. Last November a horny bull T-boned into the passenger door when his lady-love scooted. I have been driving with that dented door for a year now.
    The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-bent_door.jpg
  4. The MMI GPS head unit I had installed back in 2014 is dying. Besides, I had accidently removed the GPS receiver, so the navigation was not working for two years. That was not a problem because I was using my phone for navigation.
    The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-mmi_hu.jpg
  5. The rear view camera that came with the MMI head unit was pathetic, but I kept using it anyway. So I bought a Blaupunkt DH 2.1 rear camera recently.
I don’t like to visit 5 different shops to get stuff done. Instead I prefer to get all stuff done at my most trusted workshop, that is the Abharan Motors at Udupi. I only got the dash kit (amazon.com) and rear camera from outside. Rest was handled by Abharan Motors. I dropped the car on Tuesday, it was delivered back home today (Sunday).
Samurai is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:27   #1584
Team-BHP Support

Re: makeover

First, the seat cover. Since the Grand Vitara has been off the market for a long time, there is no ready made seat cover. The seat cover workshop has to measure and custom stitch the seat covers. It is done by an outside workshop who works with the accessories department. My wife wanted the chocolate color and picked a dual-tone design.

However, when the workshop sent the catalogue to my home, it was already dark. What I picked was much lighter than the chocolate color my wife expected… Moral of the story, don’t pick colors at night under incandescent light.

Even during day it looked different under different lighting. Here is looks light chocolate.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pxl_20211128_043943803.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pxl_20211128_043934510.jpg

But when I took photos using my OMD EM5, it looked more like dull orange.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280008.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280012.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280019.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 28th November 2021 at 21:46.
Samurai is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 18:34   #1585
Team-BHP Support

Finally the big ticket item. Replacing a 7 year old GPS/Stereo head unit with a modern head unit with android auto. Moderator Vid6639 said I should buy the Sony 5000 series and nothing else. At first I was thinking about full android units, but was properly educated that they are not designed for automobile usage.

Initially I was searching online to buy the Sony XAV-AX5000, but then finding an installer would be a problem. Then I checked with Abharan Motors and found out they had the newer 5500 in stock, they can handle the installation too.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-hu.jpg

BHPian Vigsom suggested I need the following 3 parts:
Quote:
1.Metra dash kit (tag no. 95-7953 black) for USD 08
2.Metra axxess aswc-1 steering interface - for USD 30
3.Metra 70-1721 wiring harness - USD 05
I ordered the dash kit and wiring harness, but decided to skip the steering control since he said it was difficult to make it work.

However, when I spoke to Abharan Motors, I found out I don’t need to buy any of it for the Sony HU.
  1. The wiring harness comes as part of the Sony HU, so I returned the Metra 70-1721 wiring harness and got the refund.
  2. I didn’t expect the steering interface to work, but the workshop said they will see how my current HU was set up.
  3. The full size facia was available from MSIL itself (part# 39511-64J20-ZCA), but I had already ordered it from amazon.com (₹2500) and it was not possible to cancel it. But the MSIL part was also ordered just in case.

When I gave the car for installation, they had the choice of using either of them. May the best option win.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-dashkit.jpgThe First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-facia.jpg

Today when I got the car back, I tried the steering control out of curiosity… Every steering wheel audio button works. I have no idea how they made it work. In fact, the skip backward button had never worked with MMI head unit, but works with Sony head unit.

The OEM facia from MSIL was not used, instead the Metra dashkit was used. Here is the outgoing HU, and you can see they didn't use the side plastic cladding that came with the dashkit.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-old_junk.jpg
Samurai is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:07   #1586
Team-BHP Support

How does the Sony XAV-AX5000 integrate into the Grand Vitara dashboard? Pretty decently. Perfection is not possible since HU sizes won't match the dash kit exactly. The dash kit inside frame has to be manipulated to remove the gap. My earlier MMI unit was made for Grand Vitara, so it fit perfectly.

I finally got to experience Android Auto on the head unit instead of the phone.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280021.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280023.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280025.jpg

Two USBs were hanging below the glovebox. First USB port supports practically everything, but the second USB port supports just FAT based USB that can play 3 audio types. Any other kind will not be recognised. Details are here.

By connecting the 1st USB to my android smartphone, I got the android auto to work. However weblink was another story.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280028.jpg

First, I had to install an app called weblink. Once I got the weblink working on the HU, I tried to play some youtube videos from my playlist. But for that, I need to login into my youtube account in the app.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280029.jpg

When I tried that, the app warned me that it wants full control over all my content. Say what?

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-screenshot_20211128123530.png

I decided to allow for the moment. However, even after giving full control, the same Please login from "Accounts" screen came back to haunt me. After trying a couple times, I gave up and got rid of weblink and removed the permission to access my YT account. I anyway wouldn’t have trusted this app to have full control over my content.

Other than this minor issue, everything worked grandly.

The rear view camera finally has some decent image. We tried to get the camera installed in an angle. But the options were limited, it is slightly angled, that's about it. I didn't expect it to have guidelines, it is not mentioned in the Blaupunkt DH 2.1 specs, but there are guidelines present in the video.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-rear_view.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2021 at 11:30.
Samurai is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:14   #1587
Team-BHP Support

The passenger side door dent was fixed and painted. The bodywork + GST came to ₹4425. Since the painted door was looking lot newer than the rest of the car, we decided to do wax polish for the entire car. That was the last item added on the final day.

How does a 14 year car with 150,000kms looks today? Not bad at all...

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280007.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280006.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pb280004.jpg
Samurai is offline   (148) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 20:19   #1588
Team-BHP Support

Love that last shot. Looks clean and as fresh as a brand new car.

Perhaps this is one car that has increased relevance now compared to when it was launched, with the market tilting heavily in favour of crossovers and also petrol motors. The clean design lines haven't aged one bit too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 20:33   #1589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The clean design lines haven't aged one bit too.
True, that is the main reason why we decided to stick with it. It design is timeless, car is super reliable and the 70 profile tyre is impossible to find among modern SUVs. The SUVs are supposed to handle bad roads without a sweat, and they are taking away that ability by installing 17-18 inch wheels with low profile tyres.
Samurai is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:14   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How does a 14 year car with 150,000kms looks today? Not bad at all...
Your Grand Vitara looks brilliant and doesn't look a day older than 3 years. Kudos to owning such a wonderful car.
I still get weak knees whenever I see a GV on road. A timeless design and solid mechanicals makes it a very desirable SUV.
There is a serious dearth of family friendly proper 4*4 SUVs in India. The likes of Fortuner and endeavour are too big for everyday use and the Thar has it's own limitations with it being a 2 door car.

I just came back from a short holiday in Sri Lanka and I am so jealous of the cars that are available out there. Wish we could get better and proper SUVs with 4*4 in India soon.
speedmiester is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed