Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 10:02   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Never mind.
I looked up on other forums and found the info:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006...breathers.html

Looks like the older GV (XL-7) had better designed breathers than the current model: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006...tml#post315954
Old 29th May 2013, 10:59   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Never mind.
I looked up on other forums and found the info:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006...breathers.html

Looks like the older GV (XL-7) had better designed breathers than the current model: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006...tml#post315954
Thanks for this information Anand. Does your Tucson have this feature, are there other SUVs in India with these? Would be interesting to check them and see how these breathers have been implemented. It definitely looks like a very useful addition to have, especially in waterlogged cities like Mumbai!
Old 29th May 2013, 18:36   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting here instead of my ownership thread and seeking inputs and explanations.

My GV has touched 2lac kms in five years. Sadly the price of petrol in last two has meant that I have barely notched up 50k out of these. Now my vehicle is in the garage for the second replacement of air conditioner compressor.

Symptoms: For past 20k kms the air conditioner would either work fantastically or not at all. Worst was that the few times in between when I went to the workshop it would keep working. I was not able to replicate symptoms at will.

Went through lot of eliminations step by step. Since there was a friends rally GV available we swapped climate control system, high pressure/low pressure valve relay, gas change, VAG testing...but symptoms were difficult to catch.

Last month fortunately the symptoms appeared while getting the car washed at MotorCraft garage and again we observed that everything seemed to work including a/c clutch but the pressure gauges did not show compression being developed. The aircon mech said that probably "reed valve" are getting weak and so compressor does not work continuously"

Got this diagnosed at two more a/c workshops with similar conclusions. "Compressor change kariye ji"

So today the compressor was removed and this is picture of compressor oil when drained:
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-20130529-17.33.29.jpg

The small metal particles were found in the oil and also the silca gel strainer which is built in to the circuit after the post compression "outside hot" heat exchanger. So the culprit is wear and tear and when any of these metal particle was stuck in reed valves of the compressor it would not develop pressure for air-con to work. No repairs possible and change is inevitable.

On further questioning I was told that even last time similar -tough much more - particles were found. That was when car had run roughly 1.5 lac kms.

Now my question is why in two lac kms twice this has happened? Is there a design issue in GV or does this happen in other vehicles also? Is some contributing cause like bad gas being charged?

Gyaan please.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:49   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Thanks for this information Anand. Does your Tucson have this feature, are there other SUVs in India with these? Would be interesting to check them and see how these breathers have been implemented. It definitely looks like a very useful addition to have, especially in waterlogged cities like Mumbai!
I don't think Tucson has extended breathers, I am going to find out this weekend when we are going to replace the diff oil and get these long breather tubes installed if possible. I think the hard-core SUVs like Gurkha have these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

The small metal particles were found in the oil and also the silca gel strainer which is built in to the circuit after the post compression "outside hot" heat exchanger. So the culprit is wear and tear and when any of these metal particle was stuck in reed valves of the compressor it would not develop pressure for air-con to work. No repairs possible and change is inevitable.

On further questioning I was told that even last time similar -tough much more - particles were found. That was when car had run roughly 1.5 lac kms.

Now my question is why in two lac kms twice this has happened? Is there a design issue in GV or does this happen in other vehicles also? Is some contributing cause like bad gas being charged?

Gyaan please.
So was the compressor replaced at 1.5L km or just serviced?
From what I have read, this indicates wear and tear of the compressor and eventually it has to be replaced. The root cause can be lack of lubrication (compressor oil leaking slowly, or underfilled in the first place, etc).

"Contamination
A/C systems can be contaminated with metal particles from the normal wear of the compressor and tiny amounts of water moisture. Contamination can cause a system to fail. Protection against contamination is provided by the filter screen on the Expansion Tube and the desiccant in the bottom of the dryer or accumulator. Other forms of contamination may be the wrong kind of oil, wrong kind of freon or other material that will interfere with the cooling system. Almost 100% of moisture is normally removed from the system when it is evacuated prior to installing freon."

Source: http://www.blendair.net/dictionary.html

"Most compressor failures are caused by loss of lubricant and/or refrigerant. Repeat failures are usually due to system ­contamination (sludge or metallic particles from a previous compressor failure)"

Source: http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...h_problem.aspx
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Automobile-A...0932422/g.html

"The problem with replacing a bad compressor that is damaged internally is removing all a little metal particles from the system. Often both driveway and professional mechanics would like to just blow compressed air through the lines in the hopes that all of the pieces will be dislodged and removed.
The reason this doesn’t work is because the system contains an oil charge. This oil sticks to the inside surface of all of the lines and tubes. The metal particles then stick to this oily film. This is why the proper procedure is to use a liquid flushing agent to flush the AC system.

The AC flush chemical has similar properties to brake clean. When the liquid is forced through the system the oil is washed out and the alcohol base of the AC flush will dry the interior surfaces of the lines. With no more sticky oil film holding the little metal particles they are easily removed.

One of the components that cannot be completely cleaned with the AC flush procedure is the receiver drier. This component should be replaced along with the orifice tube when you are replacing the AC compressor itself. Flushing the AC system will not remove metal particles from the orifice tube or the receiver drier.

If someone replaces your AC compressor for you make sure that you’re getting your money’s worth and that they are performing the proper procedure. Ask them about how they will flush the system and how long they will guarantee the replacement of the compressor. This will often force them to take the extra step and do the job properly."

Source:
http://www.certifiedmastertech.com/w...r-replacement/

"If you have an internal compressor failure you want to make sure that you completely flush the system with the specialized liquid chemical to protect your investment in the new or re-manufactured compressor. blowing air through the system is not good enough.
The AC oil in the lines can actually hold onto the tiny little metal particles. This is why air-conditioning flushing is done with a special fluid that removes the oil and the tiny little metal pieces. Properly flushing the lines is time consuming. Flat rate mechanics can be tempted to take short cuts.

If you skip this step or cut corners by not flushing all components, when you refill the system with Freon these little metal particles can work their way back to the new compressor and destroy it. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this. It can get very messy as the customer blames the shop, the shop blames the parts company and the the part company blames the shop."

Source: http://www.youfixcars.com/car-AC-problems.html

Can you check what your orifice tube looks like? e.g.:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-what-now.html
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 15:55   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I don't think Tucson has extended breathers, I am going to find out this weekend when we are going to replace the diff oil and get these long breather tubes installed if possible. I think the hard-core SUVs like Gurkha have these.
Thanks! Do post details on how you went about installing these please. Sounds like a very good and essential mod to have
Old 15th July 2013, 22:44   #531
BHPian

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Grand Vitara. I managed the car at a steal and now I need to get some work done on the car to make it picture perfect. There are small niggling issues that can be tackled over time but the one that needs urgent addressing is suspension.
Before I bought the car, I took it to my mechanic (who quoted 65,000) and the MASS (who quoted 90,000). After purchase, my mechanic quotes about 80 - 90 for the suspension alone. Any advice would be appreciated. Can/ Should I order the suspension kit online? Some of the sites retail at unbelievably low costs. All suggestions welcome.
I am taking the car to Vitesse in Andheri tomorrow and will get a total check from them as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th July 2013, 08:10   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Suspension is a mix of many things. What all is being replaced? The quote will be according to that. The SGP prices are reasonable for most of the GV stuff.

What is the ODO at? More information.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:11   #533
BHPian

The ODO reads 50,000 kms. But I suspect it might have run more.
I'm dropping off the car at Vitesse Worli and hopefully should have a quote by end of day. If I need to drop off the car for two weeks, this will be perfect time as I'm travelling for 10 days.
Old 16th July 2013, 22:17   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

At 50k shockers/struts should not be a problem. Rubber bushing would have hardened due to aging but that should not set you back more than 10~15k. Do share list of jobs they are quoting.

Even at 75k the above should hold true.
Old 16th July 2013, 22:39   #535
BHPian

Lower arm bushes + service + brake pads + Discs + polishing of headlamp for an estimate of 80,000. I assume, if I spend a 100,000 I should be able to get the car in good condition.
Old 16th July 2013, 23:11   #536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Lower arm bushes + service + brake pads + Discs + polishing of headlamp for an estimate of 80,000. I assume, if I spend a 100,000 I should be able to get the car in good condition.
Boy, they are taking you for a royal ride.

Check these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today the GV was picked up from my office by Abharan motors at 11:30AM and delivered back by 4:30PM. Both the lower arms, 4 spark plugs and the air filter was replaced. All these parts were not available in stock during the last service.

Each lower arm cost me Rs.6411/- and the total bill today came to Rs.17,244/-
And the disc brake stuff:

The cost of disc brake and brake pad set is roughly 5K each. If you replace both discs and pads, you will be poorer by 21K. Two lower arms will be 13K. You do the math.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 00:17   #537
BHPian

When the supervisor called me and was giving a part breakdown I think he said the lower arms are for around 9 grand each. Could the rates vary because of the dollar? It's a quote from Vitesse, Prabhadevi and lots of people swear by them. Maybe, I'll give it to another service centre and get another quote.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:06   #538
BHPian

So... after torrential downpour in Bombay when I came back, my car refused to start. So after a battery change and a tow to the service station, I finally get my car back tomorrow.
So this is what my total expenditure on this buy has been.
Car - 3.25
Battery 6
Suspension - lower arm bushing - 20
Disc brakes and pads - 22
Service (completed 50,000) - 15
Key barrel - 5
What I am left with is AC (that needs to be checked and costs 6 upwards. Letting that be for now).
Not bad for 3.95 (Will soon get a CNG kit fitted for city driving).
Old 5th August 2013, 16:59   #539
BHPian

Long due! A few pictures of my GV.

Apologies for small write up, as there is not much to say on the buying process. Better half wanted an SUV as she never get's to drive my Octavia RS, found one & got it home all in 48 hrs! Very happy with the car, but sometime does occur that the engine is a teeny weeny under powered, specially after driving sedans! A few mods already have been done, a few more on the cards!
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-vitara-one.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-vitara-three.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-vitara-two.jpg  

aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 08:05   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Now take the beast where it is in its elements and then it will shine like no sedan can ever do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks