Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 15:18   #556
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 75,000 completed]

The ride is slightly on the firm side, but it won't jolt you or toss you like a rag doll even without load. With full load, it can only get better. The 2011 GV is lot more powerful than mine, it would be 2.4L engine.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:26   #557
BHPian

While, I was shooting out of Bombay my brother took the GV for a drive to Pune last month. On his way back, he says the car started making a strange knocking noise from the engine and he got the car towed home.
Today, I took the car to Vitesse and the mechanic told me that I'm in for big trouble as the noise would mean opening up the engine and fixing the broken component and my expenses could range from 120 going up. There is no oil leak but a strange knocking. And the car was in pristine condition when I left.
Does any one know of any good GV mechanic in Bombay who can fix engines (I'd like to get a second opinion)? I've heard of a guy in Jogeshwari but somehow can't seem to find his number. Any thoughts, leads would be appreciated.
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:18   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
...Does any one know of any good GV mechanic in Bombay who can fix engines (I'd like to get a second opinion)? I've heard of a guy in Jogeshwari but somehow can't seem to find his number. Any thoughts, leads would be appreciated.
Well I know a guy in Pune and he did my Grand Vitara. The engine has come out very nice but it is giving me less kmpl when compared to earlier engine. However I found his work neat and he is honest. The engine now feels better than earlier. If its ok for you I can give his details.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:26. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th December 2013, 09:44   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Need more description of the "NOISE" before any suggestions could be given.

In case of knocking noise first culprit is adulterated fuel.

Does the engine start stop normally despite the noise? What is ODO reading? It could be something innocuous as belt pulley bearing or shard of timing belt thumping before it breaks or water pump bearing. Or ......

Give some more inputs.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:18   #560
BHPian

Hi Guys,
My Grand Vitara engine when revved hard till redline when the car is stationary or when moving in lower gears automatically starts fluctuating and vibrates violently and the rev counter also fluctuates. Can you please tell me if it is normal for a 2.0 L Grand Vitara engine or if there is any issue there. As I have observed any petrol engine when revved hard till the redline stays constant at the redline but that's not the case with my Grand Vitara.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:18   #561
Team-BHP Support

Vitara 2L engine doesn't like to be revved hard. I don't like the sound it makes when it exceeds 4000rpm, it gets painful at 5000rpm. Therefore, I have never redlined my GV. In fact I rarely ever cross 3000rpm, because the FE starts falling drastically after that.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:23   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
My Grand Vitara engine when revved hard till redline when the car is stationary or when moving in lower gears automatically starts fluctuating and vibrates violently and the rev counter also fluctuates. Can you please tell me if it is normal for a 2.0 L Grand Vitara engine or if there is any issue there. As I have observed any petrol engine when revved hard till the redline stays constant at the redline but that's not the case with my Grand Vitara.
It could be the rev limiter cutting in?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 12:24   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
...Does the engine start stop normally despite the noise? What is ODO reading? It could be something innocuous as belt pulley bearing or shard of timing belt thumping before it breaks or water pump bearing. Or ......

Give some more inputs.
51000 on the odo. Engine starts and stops normally despite the noise. The noise is coming from the engine and it's a constant knocking (like a vikram). Have given it to a mechanic who works on some rally GV's. Will find out more from him tomorrow.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:27. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th February 2014, 10:26   #564
BHPian

Recently installed an OEM fit navigation system bought from maymyindia. Functions like mobile pairing for communications & music, ipod interface and two USB connection. Runs on Win CE. Gives a feel good factor in cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-viataedit.jpg  

aditbelw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 23:44   #565
R_R
BHPian

Nice!! I considered this a while back, but couldn't get much input on whether this was a quality system and how it would work, so I decided to wait. So I hope to hear about your experience with the system. Also can't decide between keeping the vehicle as original as possible and the convenience of a new system like this. No problems with the steering mounted controls for music, I hope? And did you fit a rear camera also?

R_R
Old 13th February 2014, 09:40   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Nice!! I considered this a while back, but couldn't get much input on whether this was a quality system and how it would work, so I decided to wait. So I hope to hear about your experience with the system. Also can't decide between keeping the vehicle as original as possible and the convenience of a new system like this. No problems with the steering mounted controls for music, I hope? And did you fit a rear camera also?

R_R
The build quality is good and does not feel like a typical flimsy Chinese manufactured product. All the functions mentioned on the box and manual works as described. In fact I was surprised to see it had a usable 128mb memory built-in so one could store a few songs in it via ipod or USB. Not much by any standards but still I saved a few of favorite songs. The bluetooth's A2DP feature is present though the audio output always seem to be on the lower side when streaming music from mobile and I always have to turn up the volume which otherwise would be louder if on Radio or Ipod.

Got two USB inputs, apparently one is also used to update the firmware (Read: Windows CE). The interesting bit about the unit is it has 2 OS's running. First is the Win CE which takes care of the navigation process and the other is some Chinese developed OS which takes care of other process's like Radio, DVD playback and Bluetooth communication etc.

The navigation is precise with voice prompts being crisp, the only fact which worries be is how to update the map data. The micro sd which stores the map data is inserted on the bottom right of the front panel.

The other BT feature is pairing with a mobile for voice communication, which is a very likable feature. The mic has been place near the driver sun visor and have had no issues while Tx & Rx. My voice is very clear and crisp the other end and on receiving end nothing like hearing people's voice with a little bass and treble added to it. Just leave the BT switched on, and it will pair automatically once the ignition is switched on.

The most irritating bit about this unit is the touch screen which is Resistive. We have been spoilt for choice by the newer Capacitive tech. and it does get a bit frustrating when the icons do not seem to work when you touch the screen. One need's to really push hard to get things working and once can imagine when you got to press a number of icons consecutively on this screen like punching in a phone number, hell will break loose. I always prefer dialing from the phone. One can also use the stylus supplied with the unit but then I find that a little cumbersome too.

And yes, the steering control is not rendered useless. It's controls everything a stock double din supports. It's a straight fit 'Plug & Play' with no alterations required.

I have not fixed a rear camera as of now, but will get it done by this weekend.
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 09:49   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
....Does any one know of any good GV mechanic in Bombay who can fix engines (I'd like to get a second opinion)? I've heard of a guy in Jogeshwari but somehow can't seem to find his number. Any thoughts, leads would be appreciated.
Doc,

Try looking up Shirish kamalapurkar who was the works manager at Sah and Sanghi. For whatever my word is worth on this forum, I will stand by his diagnostic skills. He did wonders with my Baleno which Vitesse and others had messed up.

Last I recollect he was with Naveen motors in Vashi as their works manager.

If you cannot trace him, ask for Krishna at N1enginnering in Mahim, he will be able to guide you to Shirish. If not anything, you can atleast ask him for a second opinion.

All the best.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:27. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 20:37   #568
Team-BHP Support

I kept away from this MMI device because they usually sell low quality hardware.

Meanwhile, I got a dash camera for the GV. It takes high quality 720p video and can also has G shock sensor for accidents, for preserving such video clips. The amazing thing was, it came with 32GB class 10 SD card. Shipped only from Taiwan.

Today, ajmat took the GV for a spin on Mysore road. Here is the video of the same from the dash camera.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th February 2014 at 20:40.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 14:41   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Recently installed an OEM fit navigation system bought from maymyindia. Functions like mobile pairing for communications & music, ipod interface and two USB connection. Runs on Win CE. Gives a feel good factor in cabin.
Can you please tell me how much did it cost you.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:27   #570
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Today, ajmat took the GV for a spin on Mysore road. Here is the video of the same from the dash camera.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=SCFizTq4LYA
Thank God I was on my best behaviour!

Considering the GV's normal habitat, I was quite impressed with the lack of rattles and squeaks. Car felt tight and stable without any wayward movement. body control was decent. If you respect it for what it is - an SUV, it ticks all the boxes and one wonders what more a Freelander could do, uless you seriously go off-road.

Only grouse - mid-range acceleration is wanting since the engine has poor torque band. I understand the 2.4 Litre engine solves this problem.

IMHO - a very good used bargain if you find one.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed