Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 12:04   #586
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Recently installed an OEM fit navigation system bought from maymyindia. Functions like mobile pairing for communications & music, ipod interface and two USB connection. Runs on Win CE. Gives a feel good factor in cabin.
I checked on this today, and saw that the price has dropped to ₹20990. So I just went ahead and ordered it, along with a reverse camera (₹2490). I will be getting it fixed when I give the GV for the 80,000km service this month.

Yes, my Grand Vitara crossed 80,000kms when I drove back from Manipal last month. Just like the 50K milestone, my full family was in the car when we crossed 80K.

And how is it holding up? This was couple days back near electonic city. Yes, even the deserted kuccha road is within 5kms of E-City. There is no rattle or squeak, moderator Vidyut was in the car and he couldn't hear a thing other than road noise.

However, I finally have a non-working part in GV. Both the remotes have stopped working. It will be addressed this month at the service.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th June 2014 at 20:47. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 21:14   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And how is it holding up? This was couple days back near electonic city. Yes, even the deserted kuccha road is within 5kms of E-City. There is no rattle or squeak, moderator Vidyut was in the car and he couldn't hear a thing other than road noise.
You are literally belting in Neeladri road where others think twice to even crawl . The second kuccha road which is near the Koppa village (Redbridge school) was in shambles and is somewhat flattened now. Even lorries crawl on that stretch. I must appreciate the build quality of GV .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 8th June 2014 at 21:17.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 07:52   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
You are literally belting in Neeladri road where others think twice to even crawl .
My Vitara is a veteran of such roads. That is why I call it the badroader. This is how I have been driving on bad roads since 2007. Both lower arms were replaced once due to broken bushes. Shocks have been replaced once too. And it is on its 3 set of tyres.

Quote:
The second kuccha road which is near the Koppa village (Redbridge school) was in shambles and is somewhat flattened now. Even lorries crawl on that stretch. I must appreciate the build quality of GV .
Wow, you know your E-City geography well. Yes, it is the road connecting Begur-Koppa road to Hulimangala cross road.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...m3!1m0!1m0!3e0

What is the difference between the this road and Shiradi ghat in mid July? Shiradi stretch is 37kms long while this road is only 1km long.

What is the difference between the this road and Shiradi ghat after September? In addition to length difference, Shiradi will have big pot holes.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 09:43   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Vitara is a veteran of such roads. That is why I call it the badroader. This is how I have been driving on bad roads since 2007. Both lower arms were replaced once due to broken bushes. Shocks have been replaced once too. And it is on its 3 set of tyres.
That's great. I don't think the GV's competition can hold that well on bad roads. Absence of rattles even after driving like that for 7 years means it has really good build quality.

Quote:
What is the difference between the this road and Shiradi ghat in mid July? Shiradi stretch is 37kms long while this road is only 1km long.

What is the difference between the this road and Shiradi ghat after September? In addition to length difference, Shiradi will have big pot holes.
Haha, one more difference is that Shiradi gets better surface atleast for some months in a year whereas this stretch has been like that since 12 years .
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 19:58   #590
Team-BHP Support

The 80,000kms service just completed. This time had a small list of things that needed to be done.

1) Check keyless entry remote control.
2) Check noise in rear brakes during slow braking.
3) General service and oil change.
4) Replace wipers with Bosch wipers supplied by me.
5) Install reverse camera to work with the MapMyIndia Head Unit.
6) Install MapMyIndia Head Unit.
7) Route the power cable properly for the Dash Camera.

Actions:
  • The keyless remote had merely run out of battery power. Batteries were replaced in both keys.
  • The rear brake thing was just dust in the drum. Cleaned up.
  • Service done, synthetic oil replaced.
  • Wipers changed, both front and rear.
  • Installing reverse camera took the longest time because of the tail-gate mounted tyre. The head of workshop who is a friend wanted to make sure it was theft-proof. He made a metal holder to install it properly.

Many of my friends asked me why I am changing the head unit so late. Few reasons:
  1. The OE HU has no support for USB, AUX-IN, Bluetooth, DVD, GPS or reverse camera. Whenever I need to play mp3 files, I need to burn CDs which is limited to 700MB. So I have been looking for a replacement for a long time.
  2. I had looked up this HU in 2012, which cost ₹37K. Now that same thing costs ₹20.9K. So it made total sense.
  3. I use Garmin GPS all the time, and it keeps falling from the windshield often. It also partially blocks the dash camera view.
  4. Finally, 80,000kms is not really late for a GV.
Let us see some post-install shots:

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160231.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160233.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160224.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160230.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160209.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160227.jpg

The cable for the dash-camera is fully re-routed and hidden from view. No more hanging wires.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-p6160235.jpg

The final bill:

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20140616_182947.jpg
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20140616_183009.jpg

They have pointed out that the right hand link rod is weak, and spark plugs weren't replaced for lack of stock. Both parts have been ordered and will be replaced once they arrive.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 20:31   #591
BHPian

Quote:
You are literally belting in Neeladri road where others think twice to even crawl
True, I usually cringe as I drive my Altos on Neeladri Road !

Quote:
This is how I have been driving on bad roads since 2007.
Well, it appears that the Grand-Vitara tolerates bad roads better than it's smaller Suzuki brethren

I've been using Neeladri Road for close to a year now & have had to change the lower arms on both my Altos in that time
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 21:31   #592
Team-BHP Support

I had a ride on the road which Samurai posted the dash cam footage of. Let me assure you that road is 1st gear type road in Ecosport. In the GV we were cruising.

This car can take a beating like anything. The car did not feel like done close to 80K kms. Even more surprising considering that Samurai does not slow down at all for potholes or speed breakers. He just pretends they don't exist and the car obliges.

10K for a major 80K service is real real cheap.

The MMI looks pretty neat. Initially I thought no point in getting MMI chinese stuff but considering that Samurai is not an audiophile and his early OE unit did not have USB or Aux in only CD was a royal pain. 20K is not bad with Nav for the MMI.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:45   #593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Well, it appears that the Grand-Vitara tolerates bad roads better than it's smaller Suzuki brethren
That is an huge understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This car can take a beating like anything. The car did not feel like done close to 80K kms.
It is feeling even better after the service this week.

Quote:
Even more surprising considering that Samurai does not slow down at all for potholes or speed breakers. He just pretends they don't exist and the car obliges.
I do slow down for really bad potholes and speed breakers. But I am a veteran of Shiradi ghats, so I can read the potholes/speed-breakers very quickly and decide to ignore or slow down. The ones around E-city were of the former type.

Quote:
10K for a major 80K service is real real cheap.
It would have been less than 5K, if I was using regular oil instead of synthetic oil.

Quote:
The MMI looks pretty neat. Initially I thought no point in getting MMI chinese stuff but considering that Samurai is not an audiophile and his early OE unit did not have USB or Aux in only CD was a royal pain. 20K is not bad with Nav for the MMI.
After one day of usage...

1) The phone is now paired with the system. It is loud compared to music volume, I need to turn down the volume for the call.
2) The system only accepts FAT or FAT32 file system.
3) The music player ignores the directories and shows all files directly. Not sure how to jump directories.
4) The music quality is fine to my ears.
5) The maps can be tested only on the long drive, gotta wait for weekend. I like the navigation display better than Garmin.
6) The system accepts 2 USBs and a iPod/iPhone at the same time.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:51   #594
BHPian

Hi Samurai,

Am planning to buy a 80k run Haryana Registration 2007 GV. What would be your advice?

I always wanted an SUV and this seemed like the real 4x4 SUV as against the more expensive widely available non exclusive SUV's like XUV/Duster/ Safaris etc.

I will have to pay road tax for Karnataka to have the registration changed. Keeping this in mind, what would be a good price?

From what you've shown in your bills it looks like its quite inexpensive. I service my Maruti 800 at Nexus in Bangalore and they charge quite high for it. How often would this require service and which would be the best place to have it serviced Please advise.

After seeing some of your's and Sudev's posts I just cant wait to get my hands on this beast.

Why I chose this against the others is because:
1. This is a Maruti and hence the service must be easier, im hoping
2. Suzuki engines really last long in comparison to the safari or the newer renault etc
3. My budget is only around 3-4lakhs and the loss on it in 5-7 years would be much lesser than what I would lose if I bought a 10-11 lakhs SUV.

Please share your insights.

Regards,
Arvind
Old 20th June 2014, 16:04   #595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
I always wanted an SUV and this seemed like the real 4x4 SUV as against the more expensive widely available non exclusive SUV's like XUV/Duster/ Safaris etc.
This line had me quite confused. Then I realised you are comparing a used GV with new XUV/Duster/Safari. A new GV will cost 29L in Karnataka.

I have a 80K run 2007 GV myself. I can barely feel the age of the vehicle, even though I drive bad roads very regularly. Maruti Service is great, service bills are very cheap.

Pre-owned Grand Vitara is a best buy, and I don't think it is my bias talking. You should be able to get it within 4.5L, try getting one in Karnataka to avoid the 1.5L LTT.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 16:51   #596
BHPian

Thanks Samurai,

Although this looks like a very well maintained car , they don't even have the original papers purchase invoice with it. Without this it would not be possible for me to even pay tax or apply for a registration transfer. This is the issue. Ill have to wait for another Vitara, sadly! I was really looking forward to buying this one!
Old 20th June 2014, 19:31   #597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
Although this looks like a very well maintained car , they don't even have the original papers purchase invoice with it. Without this it would not be possible for me to even pay tax or apply for a registration transfer.
Who says? For paying tax, you just need a copy of invoice of Vitara sold in the same or later year. It is only for calculation purpose. That is what we do while buying old Jeeps from outside state, none have original invoice.

For RC transfer, original invoice is not required at all.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:57   #598
BHPian

Thats great news.

- where can I obtain a similar uear invoice? Will the rto have one?
- the owner of the vehicle is in Netherlands now.he cannot come down.what can I do?
' fo you know anyone in yeshwantpur rto who van help with this?
Old 20th June 2014, 20:23   #599
Team-BHP Support

RTO won't have it. Both sudev and I have 2007 GV, so copy won't be a problem.

I have no answer for the missing owner situation.
Old 20th June 2014, 22:10   #600
Team-BHP Support

Send him a soft copy of forms, ask him to take print, sign and courier back to his contact back in India.

Most Viewed