Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 17:10   #256
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading about the AC filter on Sudev's thread too. Well, that's where TBhp comes in to the rescue
Old 21st September 2010, 20:03   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I remember reading about the AC filter on Sudev's thread too. Well, that's where TBhp comes in to the rescue
Exactly, now the AC vents roar like a tornado in auto climate contol mode when I turn on the car. I was freezing on my way back to work. Starting now I will tell them to clean this dust filter at every service. The SA told me that they were surprised to see that filter since it doesn't exist in SX4 or Swift.

The tie rods were 2110 bucks each and stabilizer ball joint were 1295 bucks each. Rest were nuts, pins and labour.

They also did the throttle body adjustment according to their manual, hopefully I shouldn't see that issue any more. Brakes had some rusty powdery stuff, they cleaned it and it doesn't squeal anymore.

They didn't charge for the emergency service other day and the oil they had to add since it was a mistake (loose dip stick) on their part during last service.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st September 2010 at 20:04.
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:55   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Feels good to have the a/c back full on? A small filter and the a/c's life increases immensely.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:12   #259
Team-BHP Support

The last loan EMI for the GV was paid last week. However it was quickly followed by the first accident damage to GV, which happened yesterday.

Yesterday I was on my way from Bangalore to Manipal. At around 9:15AM I was on Outer ring road, going towards NH4 from the Hebbal flyover side. It was right before the railway crossing. The vehicles from each side were in double lines. However, right at the railway crossing, the lane narrows and merges. Obviously the bigger buses muscled their way into the lead, leaving cars to wait.

As the bus passed next to me, I noticed that it was ridiculously close to my left mirror. But the driver managed to squeeze by without hitting the mirror. As I was sighing in relief, I noticed that it was not a normal bus. It was the dreaded vestibule or 2-section bus. The second part was even closer, as it moved forward, it touched the mirror, pressed against, then crushed it before pushing it forward. There was nothing I could do but watch in horror.

As the traffic cleared in front of me, I moved forward thinking of confronting the driver. But then, how do you do that? There is absolutely no shoulder area where I can park the GV and look at the damage. If I block the bus with the GV, I will be incurring the wrath of not just 100+ passengers of the bus, but all the traffic behind it. Driving a car like GV, you don't get sympathy from anyone on Indian street.

So I sped up to get sufficient gap between the bus and me so that I can get out, check the damage, and then think of dealing with the bus. But there was hardly any place to park the car. Finally I parked at one place, checked the damaged. Only the mirror and the assembly was broken. No damage on the body as I had original feared. Even the motor was working.

Then the bus came by and he didn't make any attempt to slow down looking at me. I should have taken a photograph, but I was not in the mental state to do that. Then I stood there and thought about the results of going after the government bus driver. It will be bloody useless, I will end up paying for the damages anyway. Since it is only plastic and glass, even insurance won't cover much. So I just continued on with my journey.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pa115566.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pa115569.jpg

The GV mirror is body colored like this. Pardon the dust, hasn't been cleaned since the trip.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-pa115567.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Feels good to have the a/c back full on? A small filter and the a/c's life increases immensely.
Oh yeah, it feels really good.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:35   #260
Senior - BHPian

Man, what a bummer! What really pisses me off is the careless attitude of these guys - they're just not bothered about how close they are & what damage they're creating :(
Old 11th October 2010, 14:41   #261
Team-BHP Support

Vestibule buses are very dangerous in packed Indian roads because the rear section can't be controlled easily.

BTW, I emailed the same photos to the local Maruti dealer and got the following reply within an hour.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
The glass and the outer cover are available separately so by looking at the photo it seems repairable.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:03   #262
Senior - BHPian

Ooops that should have really hurt samurai. How much would a replacement cost , I doubt if only the outer casing would be available.

Quote:
Yesterday I was on my way from Bangalore to Manipal. At around 9:15AM I was on Outer ring road, going towards NH4 from the Hebbal flyover side. It was right before the railway crossing. The vehicles from each side were in double lines. However, right at the railway crossing, the lane narrows and merges. Obviously the bigger buses muscled their way into the lead, leaving cars to wait.
I usually bully my way here and its close to my house. My house is right after the BEL Circle Signal. I usually never give way if someone is trying to cut thru and BMTC buses are always in a different league. They dont care 2 hoots even if a motorists life is in danger.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:10   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: The cover and mirror are same as SX4. Just painting is needed on the cover to match your body colour.

Had a cover "stolen" in during the last years Desert Storm and found this solution.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:16   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I usually bully my way here and its close to my house. My house is right after the BEL Circle Signal. I usually never give way if someone is trying to cut thru and BMTC buses are always in a different league. They dont care 2 hoots even if a motorists life is in danger.
No point trying to scare BMTC buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Samurai: The cover and mirror are same as SX4. Just painting is needed on the cover to match your body colour.
That's great. If it is the same as SX4, it must be reasonably priced.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:11   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry Samurai my bad memory did not serve me correctly. Although similar they do not interchange.

You were right. Both parts are individually available from MUL and you do not have to buy the whole assembly.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:39   #266
BHPian

The rear wheels of the vestibule buses actually "steer" during sharp turns. But during slight turns, they have no effect.

-- Torqy
Old 9th November 2010, 07:51   #267
Team-BHP Support

Today morning at 7AM I turned on the GV for my drive towards Manipal. Although I was starting it after 15 days, it turned on at the first crank. I tapped in the destination into the GPS and pulled out of the parking lot.

As I reversed for few meters, I heard a distinct and rather loud duduk sound from below every couple meters. I was puzzled, got down, looked around. Everything looked fine, all the tyres look well inflated. My last drive on GV was the 400Kms drive from Manipal, I parked and never touched it in 15 days.

I decided to drive some more, same result. Faster I drive, faster duduk sound. I braked, the brake squealed like an bull elephant in musk. I used to have brake squealing problem since the last service, but nothing this loud.

Finally I decided to turn back and came home. The loud duduk sound sang all the way back. It happens even if I am coasting in neutral, with the engine off. What can be the reason?

Now I am waiting for the service center to open up. BTW, I have never given my GV to any service center in Bangalore until now. I found that the closest one is in Kalyan Nagar. Does anyone know where is Mandovi Motors in Kalyan Nagar, their website doesn't have a number for it.

My other choice is Solar Automobiles in St.John Road, but I am not sure whether they are any good. I don't fancy driving any further with this strange duduk sound every couple meters.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2010 at 07:54.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:24   #268
BHPian

The same thing happened to my sx4 mirror when the car was a day old. Luckily the broken pieces had fallen down there itself. I picked up the parts and glued them together. Its been a year and the mirror is still holding.
A new mirror(glass) costs around 380 bucks and the outer cover costs around the same. The entire assembly is around 1.6k. GV parts would be more expensive though.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:53   #269
Team-BHP Support

Is Aryan Motors in Banasawadi any good? That appears to be next closest. The Mandovi Motors in Kalyan Nagar will open only by November 15th, it is a new one, too late for my current need.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2010 at 08:56.
Old 9th November 2010, 09:53   #270
Team-BHP Support

The Aryan Motors was so crowded, I saw a Swift struggling to get in. Got to consider Solar instead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks