Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 13:34   #361
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats on a fantastic mileage (for a petrol suv)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
+1. That is great mileage for a petrol 4WD SUV.
Thanks, I wonder how long this will last. In two days, my GV will complete 4 years with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My mileage figures can be called 'actually' city mileage FE. On the highway runs it easily gives between 13 to 14 and that too on diesel.
And mine involved the dreaded Shiradi ghats, and lots of 2-lane highways. On the Tamilnadu roads, I too got 13kmpl last week.

The Shiradi ghat is so bad, it has a 250 pages thread on it and tourist taxi guys have boycotted that otherwise lucrative route.

Bangalore taxis may not ply to coast, bad roads deter tour operators - The Times of India
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 20:16   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I can understand getting higher FE in that route. But how to understand 1.6kmpl increase in the route I do twice every month?
A nice long run did italian tune up for you. Yeah sometimes it happens a good long run makes the vehicle run better.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:41   #363
BHPian

I guess it happens to all automobiles. 3 weeks back i wanted to achieve 20+ FE on my Figo & drove 70-80 kmph from Kochi to Ottapalam & i got 18.XX.

Day before yesterday i drove from Trivandrum to Kochi in 4.5 hrs in heavy rain throughout & got 20.XX touching 90-100 at times.

Both drives were 60% AC on.

Anyway Petrol is getting precious (another 2 rs increase looming in the near future) so cheers to Samurai for achieving the improved figures & pray it stays the same.

@Samurai, Did you fill air in KL by any chance?
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:57   #364
GRV
BHPian

Hi Samurai

With reference to your losing side mirror glass and cover, what solution you found eventually ?

I have also lost left side mirror and cover. Chekced with APRA motors in Gurgaon today. Was told that I can not use SX4 or Swift mirror and have to buy Vitara one which costs a whopping 5000/ a piece (Compared to 1000 for Swift)

Thanks for your help. By the way I bought Geolander AT-S (235/70 R16) and put on my vitara. Appears very comfortable (may be it is new)

GRV

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th November 2011 at 22:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting a big post, thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:28   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
With reference to your losing side mirror glass and cover, what solution you found eventually ?

I have also lost left side mirror and cover. Chekced with APRA motors in Gurgaon today. Was told that I can not use SX4 or Swift mirror and have to buy Vitara one which costs a whopping 5000/ a piece (Compared to 1000 for Swift)
I got it replaced with OE parts, and it cost me only 2000. Let me look for the invoice & part number.

Quote:
Thanks for your help. By the way I bought Geolander AT-S (235/70 R16) and put on my vitara. Appears very comfortable (may be it is new)
That would have been my first choice considering I prefer AT tyres. I was suggesting HT for you since you mostly drive on good roads. What about spare tyre?

BTW GRV, in your entire GV ownership, how many parts have you changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
@Samurai, Did you fill air in KL by any chance?
No. I last filled a month before, have done 4 Shiradi trips since then, only the last one gave high FE.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:31   #366
GRV
BHPian

Thanks Samurai. This will be really useful and will save me money

I bought 5 tyres. Reliance auto where i bought the tyre from force fitted the spare wheen cover over new tyre and is looking fine at the back

This tyre change is first change in last 4 years. In fact I have not faced any notable mechanical / electrical malfunction except door open switch sometimes not working
Old 7th November 2011, 09:55   #367
Team-BHP Support

Alright, last Thursday (3rd Nov) my Grand Vitara completed 4 years and 41,000 kms. It still drives like new and the FE has actually gone up as reported in the last few posts. Unfortunately I couldn't post on 3rd since I was traveling since 2nd and haven't seen the GV since then.

I have no regrets even after 4 years, despite the recent petrol hikes. That is because my choices were very limited in late 2007. The only options then were Endeavour 2.5L, Tucson, CR-V and GV. Endeavour was underpowered, had bad ride, and wife hated the looks. Tucson was almost pulled out of the market and local dealer didn't want to give test drive. CR-V had become way too expensive and ugly. The GV on the other hand had good ride, fresh looks, within budget and the best dealership network. Therefore, under the circumstances, I did get the best vehicle available. Since my monthly usage is roughly within 1000kms on bad roads, a petrol SUV is not really a bank breaker.

Not a single breakdown in 4 years. The only time it refused to start, it was due to battery drain, and at home. That too happened because I leave it unused for 15 days every month when I am in Bangalore.

The offroad ability of GV led me to explore the world of offroading, eventually making me buy a Jeep and got me lots of friends in many unlikely places.

These days I drive the GV regularly between Manipal and Bangalore, twice every month on some really terrible roads. I leave it untouched in Bangalore for 2 weeks and then just start it and drive back to Manipal. I haven't opened the hood in 6 months, and that was at the last service. GV is the car I have most abused in my entire 11 car history. But it chugs along without a complain.

All-in-all, it has been a great ownership experience despite it being the most ignored SUV in Indian market. I rather prefer the uneventful ownership experience of an under-powered petrol SUV than of a powerful diesel SUV with lots of events like breakdowns, niggles, part changes, etc. God knows I have had more than my share of such events with the Jeep.

Quote:
This tyre change is first change in last 4 years. In fact I have not faced any notable mechanical / electrical malfunction except door open switch sometimes not working
No part changes in 4 years and 52,000 kms. I am not at all surprised. I do have some part changes, all related to tyres and suspension. That happened only because I drive on terrible roads and don't slow down for most potholes.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:26   #368
Team-BHP Support

I agree GV seems to be much better compared to the Crv that we have, atleast the service and parts seems to be so reasonably priced. Also GV is much more tougher compared to the Crv anyday which is a 101% softroader!

Keep it purring and next time i meet GV i need a test drive
Old 7th November 2011, 17:57   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Keep it purring and next time i meet GV i need a test drive
Should be easy enough considering GV spends alternate fortnights in Bangalore, not this month though.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:49   #370
Team-BHP Support

Got my GV serviced yesterday, the odo is at 41,000kms. Last service was in May and I have driven 7000kms since then. Apart from service, I asked them to check all the suspension parts (12 trips on Shiradi since the last service) and also the brakes. Since my brake disks have pitting thanks to beach visits, I have a little brake slippage during sudden brakes, loud noise too.

Here is the invoice:

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-grand-vitara-service-25.11.11.jpg

They have advised to replace one of the brake disc which has bad pitting. All brakes pads are also due for replacement. The SA said the brakes pads are good for another 2000kms. When I wondered how he can predict my braking frequency, he hastily pushed the number to 5000kms. Anyway, I know my brake pads are also rusted and closing on end of life. So I put in an order for those too.

No oil change was done since it is only 7000kms since the last one.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:42   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

That's some nice going with your car. Reliability is one aspect that you need to link with Suzuki big time. One of the reasons my dad believe ONLY Suzuki makes cars!!

1. Between how is the build quality of GV? Does the car rattle after being run thru the bad roads?

2. And how is the NVH inside the cabin with windows rolled up?

I always liked the Vitara, only if they had brought a nice diesel engine option.

Quote:
Got my GV serviced yesterday, the odo is at 41,000kms.

Here is the invoice:

Attachment 847465
I don't know, but it disturbs me whenever I see the service bills of some of the more expensive vehicles than Swift! I have no idea how can the bills of Innovas / Fortuners / GVs be lower than Swift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
One of my hobbies is to have a look at the no: plates of oncoming vehicles, vehicles passing me, vehicles i am overtaking & guess their journey route, type of owner etc. Great pastime especially when driving alone. Kills sleep too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I thought i was mad. Now i have company.
Ahh, found two more ! And I let the expensive cars get ahead of me [yeah, I know they anyhow get ahead, even without my permission] and watch them fly on the roads. Some times its dynamics & tail lamps are worth watching on the highways!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th November 2011 at 23:45.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:02   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. Between how is the build quality of GV? Does the car rattle after being run thru the bad roads?
Nope, not a squeak. I drive lot more than my share of my bad roads. Yet, once I get out of bad roads, it is totally silent.

Quote:
2. And how is the NVH inside the cabin with windows rolled up?
It is quiet until 3000rpm. After that engine noise can be heard, it doesn't like to be revved.

Quote:
I don't know, but it disturbs me whenever I see the service bills of some of the more expensive vehicles than Swift! I have no idea how can the bills of Innovas / Fortuners / GVs be lower than Swift!
Yeah, GV always had small service bills. Even the parts aren't that expensive.
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:28   #373
Team-BHP Support

I made one another trip to Kerala, but I consistently got one kmpl less than last time, although I didn't change my style of driving.

However, when I left for Manipal two days later, I again got good FE. The following was shot after 200kms drive from Bangalore to around Sakleshpur. It fell to 11.8kmpl once I crossed the dreaded Shiradi and finally settled to 11.4kmpl as I reached Manipal.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20111214_1017541.jpg

The brake disc and brake pads finally arrived. Got a big bill this time.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-grandvitara-service-22.12.11.jpg
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:04   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

"Bearing Front Strut"??

Was that making too much noise? Judder?
Old 26th December 2011, 21:45   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Got a big bill this time.
Your "big" billing was on account of SGPs which sport a - in the part no.

You'll notice that parts that sport a M in the part number are dirt cheap

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks