Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 19:44   #451
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

My August 2011 Vitara saw 2 tyre replacements in first 6 months. I lost the first tyre to a U-Bolt thanks to Metro construction at Gurgaon. The second one was side wall where I was doing some inspired driving (Mcleodganj / Manali trip). I had to be on the road both times early morning next day so had no choice but to get what was available at Gurgaon and Chandigarh.

Both replacements were Michelin (Latitude) as no other models were available. In my view Geolandars are good off road an on road as we hardly do slush / mud etc. My Geolandars performed well in South India as well where the texture of mud is slightly more slippery (or closer to clay?).
Old 21st October 2012, 22:29   #452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Pirelli Scoprion should be good but I dont have enough real world reviews to give you a truthful answer. At best, I can give oyu marketing BS!
Actually, I was interested in that tyre 5 years back. It was rated as one of the best AT tyre even then.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...tml#post643686 (The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Michelin is a fantastic option but currently unavailable. Given that, the Yoko is almost like a default choice!
So Michelin is out, and I already have Yoko on my Jeep. Wanted to try a new tyre.

Is there a big price difference between Yoko AT-S and Pirelli Scorpion ATR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
In my view Geolandars are good off road an on road as we hardly do slush / mud etc. My Geolandars performed well in South India as well where the texture of mud is slightly more slippery (or closer to clay?).
Boss, I can write essays on Yokohama AT-S.

In fact, my Jeep with Yoko AT-S is featured on Yokohama USA site.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/gallerie...landar_a_t_s#7
Old 25th October 2012, 19:54   #453
Team-BHP Support

GV switched over to MRF Wanderers today. No photos since my parking slot in Bangalore is in a very dark corner.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 13:00   #454
Team-BHP Support

Alright! This ownership thread was created exactly 5 years back. Yes, that means my Suzuki Grand Vitara completed 5 years couple days back. The odometer is close to 58,000 kms after yesterday's 400kms trip from Bangalore to Manipal.

This is the most reliable car I have owned in India, Period. Other changing tyres couple of times and some suspension parts thanks to broken rubber bushes, I haven't had to change anything else. That happened only because I routinely drive on bad roads, and don't slow down for pot holes.

This is what I said when I completed 4 years, and I have nothing more add other than saying I have added 17,000 more without any ado. Hard to talk much about this car since nothing eventful happen with this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Alright, last Thursday (3rd Nov) my Grand Vitara completed 4 years and 41,000 kms. It still drives like new and the FE has actually gone up as reported in the last few posts. Unfortunately I couldn't post on 3rd since I was traveling since 2nd and haven't seen the GV since then.

I have no regrets even after 4 years, despite the recent petrol hikes. That is because my choices were very limited in late 2007. The only options then were Endeavour 2.5L, Tucson, CR-V and GV. Endeavour was underpowered, had bad ride, and wife hated the looks. Tucson was almost pulled out of the market and local dealer didn't want to give test drive. CR-V had become way too expensive and ugly. The GV on the other hand had good ride, fresh looks, within budget and the best dealership network. Therefore, under the circumstances, I did get the best vehicle available. Since my monthly usage is roughly within 1000kms on bad roads, a petrol SUV is not really a bank breaker.

Not a single breakdown in 4 years. The only time it refused to start, it was due to battery drain, and at home. That too happened because I leave it unused for 15 days every month when I am in Bangalore.

The offroad ability of GV led me to explore the world of offroading, eventually making me buy a Jeep and got me lots of friends in many unlikely places.

These days I drive the GV regularly between Manipal and Bangalore, twice every month on some really terrible roads. I leave it untouched in Bangalore for 2 weeks and then just start it and drive back to Manipal. I haven't opened the hood in 6 months, and that was at the last service. GV is the car I have most abused in my entire 11 car history. But it chugs along without a complain.

All-in-all, it has been a great ownership experience despite it being the most ignored SUV in Indian market. I rather prefer the uneventful ownership experience of an under-powered petrol SUV than of a powerful diesel SUV with lots of events like breakdowns, niggles, part changes, etc. God knows I have had more than my share of such events with the Jeep.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th November 2012 at 13:01.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 14:45   #455
R_R
BHPian

Congrats, Samurai!

Your experience (and Sudev's) was the reason I decided to go in for a second-hand (actually third-hand) GV, and I fully endorse everything you said. Its a wonderful, safe, confidence-inspiring vehicle. I feel not a whit of worry when I am driving in unfamiliar parts and on bad roads and in bad conditions (night time, bad rains etc). I haven't done enough of this yet, but the couple of times that I found myself in such conditions, the one thing that made me feel good was that I was in this SUV. Man, that's a feeling that is fully worth the price of petrol!!

In two years of ownership, I had only one minor issue: I had a/c water leaking into the cabin floor twice, a Rs. 500 clean-up job each time. I also have an occasional brake-squeak. I have run over 22,000 kms after I bought it (total now over 42,000). And these are only things I can think of to complain!!

R_R

Last edited by R_R : 5th November 2012 at 14:46.
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 12:42   #456
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Most likely the rubber bushes in the suspension arms are worn. Before your service advisor says replace the arms please check - unlike in past now individual bush ends are available as SGP/MGP numbers and so you need not do complete arm change.
Hi Sudev
Yestersay I went for paid check up (Rs. 350) for the Dug dug sound in Gurgaon dealer. After check up I was advised
1. To change Bush
2. they say that Bush comes with Arm to change both arms (20,000 inR)
3. Change Tie rod
4. Change Suspension mount
5. Change engine mount

Total estimated cost would be 35,000 rupees
You have mentioned that now Bush come as stand alone part, but this was vehemently contested by dealer service advisor.

Could you please help me with the following:
1. Can you share more information so that I can convince the dealer person ?(confirmation that now i can get stand alone bush without arms).

2. Have you had this problem of torn engine mount ? does it happen after 5 years or dealer person is pushing it a bit far ?

regards
GRV
Old 6th January 2013, 07:22   #457
Team-BHP Support

After 5 years and 2 months:

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20130105_201902.jpg

It happened on road, so I pulled over and shot with mobile phone camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
1. To change Bush
3. Change Tie rod
5. Change engine mount

Can you break up the cost. The lower arms didn't cost that much.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:29   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi Sudev
Yestersay I went for paid check up (Rs. 350) for the Dug dug sound in Gurgaon dealer. After check up I was advised
1. To change Bush
3. Change Tie rod
5. Change engine mount

Torn engine mount is rare. Unless you were doing rally stages.

Check with Rahul @MotorCraft Sahibabad giving my reference.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:32   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
In two years of ownership, I had only one minor issue: I had a/c water leaking into the cabin floor twice, a Rs. 500 clean-up job each time.
The passenger foot is pressing the a/c drainage pipe. Or like it happened with me once the outlet was clogged with mud after doing some driving through slush.
Check.
Old 20th January 2013, 18:26   #460
BHPian

Hello Vitara lovers. Thought this would be the best place to ask something.

My father in law wishes to sell his 2007 (manufactured 2006, registered 2007) silver MT Vitara. Its done 91,000km with 2 new tyres and fairly well kept. What should be a fair enough price for the vehicle - 5lac? 4.5lac? 4lac?

Secondly, if I wish to keep it (its a 4x4 after all), does a CNG kit work on a Vitara? I commute 70km daily and hence the question.

Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 07:51   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Offline me - I would be looking at buying a good GV soon.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:04   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
My father in law wishes to sell his 2007 (manufactured 2006, registered 2007) silver MT Vitara. Its done 91,000km with 2 new tyres and fairly well kept. What should be a fair enough price for the vehicle - 5lac? 4.5lac? 4lac?
You probably won't get more than 5L. However, does he have strong reason to sell? To replace it with the same reliability and features, it will cost well over 20L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Secondly, if I wish to keep it (its a 4x4 after all), does a CNG kit work on a Vitara? I commute 70km daily and hence the question.
Consider this possibility seriously.

Quote:
Offline me - I would be looking at buying a good GV soon.
I am not surprised. Once my GV completes 10 years, I too might start looking for 5 year old GVs. It is too much VFM. May be hard to find considering how few were sold.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:08   #463
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, GV came back 60,000kms service. Since a friend (Vinay Thomas) was having some questions about my clutch behavior, I asked them to do some extensive drive testing. So the SA as well as the head of service took it for long trial on the highway. I hadn't felt any problem, neither could they. They fixed the small play in clutch pedal though. And they also bled the clutch (mentioned as brake bleeding in the bill) just to be sure. Since the synthetic oil was put only 8000kms back, no oil change this time.

So, here is the bill, that is lot lower than my i10 bill.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-gv_service-12.02.2013.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They have detected a little leak in the rear right shocks. But can wait another 10,000Kms they say.
Remember this item from the last service? It is time for that now. So I decided to replace both the rear shocks. The link rods are having play, so they are to be replaced as well. The AC filter needs replacement. So the parts are ordered. It will be another 1000kms before the parts arrive.

The wheel balancing, tyre rotation and alignment was not done since new tyres were installed just 3 months back.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 13:06   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Why the A/C filter replacement? AFAIK it is can be cleaned.
Old 14th February 2013, 16:38   #465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why the A/C filter replacement? AFAIK it is can be cleaned.
Yeah, the AC filter is cleaned at every service. But this time they feel it ought to be replaced.

Most Viewed