Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 10:15   #466
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Hi All,
I bought a used grand vitara during July 2012 and I have been using it since then. Presently the grand vitara has clocked 74000 kms and yesterday evening while coming back home I tried to redline the same in second gear. At 7000 RPM the engine could not hold the RPM and was fluctuating vigorusly. Hence I thought that there must be some block in the exhaust or in the fuel system and hence it might get cleared off if throttle hard and I throttled it hard. Suddenly the engine turned off and I had to leave the car on the road and go home.

Today morning I went to the car and tried to start it but its not starting. Even the starter motor is not taking any rounds. I live in a very remote place and nearest MASS is 125kms away from my place and I am yet to contact them. Can anyone please tell me as to what exactly might be the problem. Did I do anything wrong by trying to throttle the engine to the max and did it result in any major problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:15. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 20th February 2013, 10:29   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday, GV came back 60,000kms service. So, here is the bill, that is lot lower than my i10 bill.
That's a lot less compared to the Swift D as well. Wish you many more miles on the GV. There is a neat looking silver GV in our office parking lot. But the white looks better.

Quote:
Remember this item from the last service? It is time for that now. So I decided to replace both the rear shocks.
Any idea how much is the cost for the rear shock for the GV? The left rear shock of our Swift D is also leaking. MASS told me its good to go till the next service. The car has done 22K now. Is it advisable to change both shocks together? The right rear is fine from the looks of it.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:44   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
At 7000 RPM the engine could not hold the RPM and was fluctuating vigorusly. Hence I thought that there must be some block in the exhaust or in the fuel system and hence it might get cleared off if throttle hard and I throttled it hard. Suddenly the engine turned off and I had to leave the car on the road and go home.
Boss, why would you redline on a GV? The GV doesn't like to be revved beyond 4-5K rpm, let alone redlined. You should listen to the harsh sound of the engine and just backoff before it is too late. Call Maruti emergency number and let them take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Any idea how much is the cost for the rear shock for the GV? The left rear shock of our Swift D is also leaking. MASS told me its good to go till the next service. The car has done 22K now. Is it advisable to change both shocks together? The right rear is fine from the looks of it.
It is 3K each, the pair will cost me 6K. I didn't want a mismatched pair in the suspension, which would be the case if one is new and other is 60,000kms old.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:01   #469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,
I bought a used grand vitara during July 2012 and I have been using it since then. Presently the grand vitara has clocked 74000 kms and yesterday evening while coming back home I tried to redline the same in second gear. At 7000 RPM the engine could not hold the RPM and was fluctuating vigorusly
That vigorous fluctuation is not because of dirt stuck anywhere but the engine's ECU cutting off because you are revving beyond the limit! You basically hit the rpm limiter and the ECU cuts off the fuel to prevent damage to engine by over revving. If you continue to do it, it may end up in failure of some weak component.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 15:00   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I tried to redline the same in second gear. At 7000 RPM the engine could not hold the RPM and was fluctuating vigorusly. ...
Hmmm...what's the red line in GV 2.0? If it's 7000, why were you not happy upon reaching it? As others said, take to Maruti first thing and leave it to them.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:17. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 15:04   #471
Team-BHP Support

The redline is 6500, the tacho is marked until 8000.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:51   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The redline is 6500, the tacho is marked until 8000.
So it does not cut-off at redline? Allows 500 RPM extra before hard stop?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 19:44   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hmmm...what's the red line in GV 2.0? If it's 7000, why were you not happy upon reaching it? As others said, take to Maruti first thing and leave it to them.
Hi Guys,
With a heavy heart I inform all you guys concerned with my problem and who tried to help me out that my GV engine has gone kaput.

The engine block is broken and the damage inside the engine has to be assessed. However the mechanic presumes that the right piston connection is broken and new portion of lower part of the engine block and other damaged parts inside the engine have to be replaced. He calls it half engine replacement.

Now I am in a big trouble and need to look for parts or a complete replacement engine. The mechanic was saying that there is a possibility of getting a replacement engine.
Thank u all for all your suggestions and concern.

Can anyone help me in sourcing a used 2.0 litre engine for my Grand Vitara.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:18. Reason: Making it one logical post
Old 21st February 2013, 08:30   #474
Team-BHP Support

Very sad to hear about the engine. Not sure how easy it is to source another engine, GV is not that common.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:26   #475
Team-BHP Support

Is your car being attended by a relaibel MASS? Just by redlining, engine should not have so much of damage. Unless this was done for hours together! That's why the ECU cut off as Vidyut mentioned above. Please do get the engine checked by a competent mech before anything.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 12:17   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

What I don't understand is - the ECU should have cut-off the engine thereby saving it.
I unintentionally hit the red-line in the Tucson in 2nd gear (only once or twice - while overtaking a slow moving truck on an uphill ghat section), the moment revs reached 4500 (Tucson's redline), the engine cut-off, revs started falling. Of course, I did not muscle with the ECU and let it fall.
Old 5th March 2013, 17:58   #477
BHPian

agree. I have red-lined a Baleno twice, and it just bounces off when the RPM hits the rev limiter. Unless you kept bouncing it off, this should not have happened. Get it checked by another MASS, before you commit to the expenses.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 18:31   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engine block is broken...
...the right piston connection is broken...
...half engine replacement.
Suspected broken connecting rod with consequent damage to engine block. Half engine is the best way to go, esp. when you are located in an area where local mechanics are not familiar with the vehicle. What did Maruti quote you for a GV half engine?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 13:55   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow...that is serious damage. Such problems are rarely seen outside of rallying as red-lining is not done by normal drivers on a normal road. Typically such problems of red-lining occur by changing in to lower gear too early thus bumping up RPM's beyond norm.

With huge de-acceleration coming out of engine the crank and connecting rods come under lot of pressure and the weakest link - usually the conrod bush or gudgeon pin - breaks leading to damage.

The damage would be visible and I would suspect the MASS is correct in assessing half engine replacement.

Dubai is good place to source engines - problem is how do you get them to India.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 15:20   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

I would recommend getting the half engine from the Suzuki/dealer itself.
What's the official dealer price? My wild guess is @1L...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks