Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 20:24   #481
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Suspected broken connecting rod with consequent damage to engine block. Half engine is the best way to go, esp. when you are located in an area where local mechanics are not familiar with the vehicle. What did Maruti quote you for a GV half engine?
Well I still need to take the vehicle to MASS. Local mechanics have quoted something between 1.25 to 1.5 lakhs for half engine. However I am looking for a full engine for exchange of my engine and difference amount. I am also thinking of switching to a diesel engine and a friend in Bangalore is thinking of the possibilities of mating a Toyota Diesel Engine and working out the costs. Please suggest. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:09   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Well I still need to take the vehicle to MASS. Local mechanics have quoted something between 1.25 to 1.5 lakhs for half engine.
Why don't you write/call MSIL directly and ask for a quote instead of depending on a local mechanic to procure it for you?
Quote:
I am also thinking of switching to a diesel engine and a friend in Bangalore is thinking of the possibilities of mating a Toyota Diesel Engine and working out the costs. Please suggest. Thanks.
And you think mating a diesel would be any less expensive? Plus, would your RTO allow registration of the diesel engine on your RC? Will the diesel you have in mind fit inside the engine bay? Too many questions that need to be answered first.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 22:53   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I still need to take the vehicle to MASS. Local mechanics have quoted something between 1.25 to 1.5 lakhs for half engine. However I am looking for a full engine for exchange of my engine and difference amount. I am also thinking of switching to a diesel engine and a friend in Bangalore is thinking of the possibilities of mating a Toyota Diesel Engine and working out the costs. Please suggest. Thanks.

Well, so if I understand you correctly, money is not a constran? Then why don't you source the 2.4L engine from the latest GV? It's a very good one from what I have read/heard. If you are keen on diesel, get the 1.9 DDiS oen from the GV sold in Europe.

In any case, I don't understand why you are talking to non-Maruti local guys before talking to the dealer...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 23:06   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am also thinking of switching to a diesel engine and a friend in Bangalore is thinking of the possibilities of mating a Toyota Diesel Engine and working out the costs. Please suggest. Thanks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-possible.html
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 08:28   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why don't you write/call MSIL directly and ask for a quote instead of depending on a local mechanic to procure it for you?

And you think mating a diesel would be any less expensive? Plus, would your RTO allow registration of the diesel engine on your RC? Will the diesel you have in mind fit inside the engine bay? Too many questions that need to be answered first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well, so if I understand you correctly, money is not a constran? Then why don't you source the 2.4L engine from the latest GV? It's a very good one from what I have read/heard. If you are keen on diesel, get the 1.9 DDiS oen from the GV sold in Europe.

In any case, I don't understand why you are talking to non-Maruti local guys before talking to the dealer...
Well I very well know that MSIL will not give me a quote less than 2.5 lakhs and hence I am trying out other options first before taking it to MSIL.

I shall think of a diesel engine only if it works out between 1.5 to 2.0 lakhs or else will seriously look for a used petrol engine or half engine. I can manage the RTO part and other things.

There is no point getting a 2.4L engine for my car and 1.9 DDis is not easy or cost effective to find. So the best options I am left with is either look for a used 2.0 L original petrol engine or a good diesel engine that will match the Grand Vitara.
Thank u all and more suggestions are most welcome.
Old 8th March 2013, 08:48   #486
Senior - BHPian

I believe such conversions are not legal. Diesel being a subsidized fuel you won't be allowed to switch from petrol to diesel.

Also for the same reason I doubt if any authorized service centre would do that for you.
Old 8th March 2013, 23:27   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I believe such conversions are not legal. Diesel being a subsidized fuel you won't be allowed to switch from petrol to diesel.

Also for the same reason I doubt if any authorized service centre would do that for you.
Yup, probably authorised service centres won't do it for you.

But my uncle who loves to plonk diesel engine in petrol cars have done such conversions in past, He plonked some toyota diesel engine in 2001 City AT and got it converted to MT.

Then, he got some isuzu diesel engine in his 2004 esteem, then he had 2002 ikon 1.3 fitted with some diesel engine, No list hasn't ended yet

Then, he got toyota engine in a Fiat Adventure, then he bought one opel astra club and got one isuzu engine again into it, He also got one willys kinda jeep from mayapuri again fitted with toyota engine

He had all these cars at a point of time and quite a few were sold. Except for City '01 all cars are sold.

So, did you just said that, are these conversions legal ? lol

BTW all of the abover work were carried out at his friends shop in mayapuri, where his friend deals in every possible engine of car, tractor etc etc.
Old 9th March 2013, 08:09   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Conversions are not legal till approved by RTO and endorsed on RC Book.

IMHO You'd be wasting a lovely car by doing a hybrid conversion.
Old 27th March 2013, 23:52   #489
BHPian

Sudev-ji, wanted to get your opinion on a couple of GVs that have popped up on the Carwale site - 45~ to 60~K odd on the odo, for around 6-7 lakhs. Good deal or not? Are Maruti spares/servicing for the GV still available at reasonable costs? Thanks!
Old 29th March 2013, 09:07   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting deals. What year of registration?

Generally all parts are available through MGP. Some times you may have to wait while parts are delivered. On the other hand at these odo figures you should have a long way to go till some thing serious needs attention.
Old 29th March 2013, 09:25   #491
BHPian

Thats good news sudev ji. They are 2006-2007 registrations. The price is fine i guess but what I'm afraid of is the fact that they are all dealer postings and I'm not confident about getting a dealer car
Old 29th March 2013, 09:59   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Interesting deals. What year of registration?

Generally all parts are available through MGP. Some times you may have to wait while parts are delivered. On the other hand at these odo figures you should have a long way to go till some thing serious needs attention.
Music to my ears. Even I am looking out for some AT examples of the GV. Am inclined towards 2.4L engine models. Now only need to convince everybody in the family of the sensibility of the plan!!
Old 29th March 2013, 11:09   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Am inclined towards 2.4L engine models. Now only need to convince everybody in the family of the sensibility of the plan!!
Why do you think anyone in the family would find this sensible?
But that's not madatory, right? We know it's fantastic vehicle.

Why not Outlander? It's also equally powerful + AT + good GC + Mistu's reknowned handling, etc. And those are also available at good prices as nobody wants to maintain petrol elephants these days...Or do you need low range 4WD?

BTW, old Grand Vitara XL-7 (V6, AT, low range) is also a very capable car and those are available real cheap.

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2013, 13:10   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think anyone in the family would find this sensible?
But that's not madatory, right? We know it's fantastic vehicle.

Why not Outlander? It's also equally powerful + AT + good GC + Mistu's reknowned handling, etc. And those are also available at good prices as nobody wants to maintain petrol elephants these days...Or do you need low range 4WD?

BTW, old Grand Vitara XL-7 (V6, AT, low range) is also a very capable car and those are available real cheap.

Cheers!
Hopefully, if I make them read GTO's post on lateral upgrade, they may see the logic of it.(wife is quite convinced so that is 1/2 the battle won). Actually Outlander is also in my shortlist, only not may examples are cropping up now & those that are listed are too expensive. I need to keep the vehicle for 3-4 years & then possibly upgrade to a new one which I will then keep for 10 yrs. Currently Vitamin-M dictates secondhand only!!.

Do not want to go in for a car more than 5 years old. So XL-7 is ruled out.

If Hyundai had brought the Tuscon with AT gearbox option it would have been first on my list.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 13:17   #495
BHPian

Quote:

Would you happen to know what the FE for the old GVs would be by any chance? I would not go for the Outlander if I had the GV as an option personally, just because of lower cost of MGP parts and wider service network

Most Viewed