Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2014, 16:45   #601
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Yesterday when I was driving to Bangalore, I experienced something I had never encountered before in my Grand Vitara. As I drove over a rough stretch, the AC controls just switched off and blower went to maxspeed. Tapping on all the 3 AC control knobs had no effect. Little later, lights came back and blower reverted to normal behavior. This happened 2-3 times more and finally it never came back. The blower would switch off only if the ignition is off. Otherwise it stayed at maxspeed.

I was already 150kms into the drive, and another 250kms to go. I first considered driving all the way to Bangalore without AC, but the blower was blowing hot air into the cabin, making me sweat profusely despite the rains. I finally realised I can't continue without fixing the problem.

I called my regular MASS (Abharan Motors), and I was asked to continue to Mandovi Motors at Uppinangady. That means driving back 25kms, but I had no choice. When I arrived at Mandovi, they were expecting me. They started checking the electrical connections after I described the problem. When I told them stereo HU was replaced only a week ago, and the possibility of loose connection since the AC controls were right below that, they opened up the center panel. When the mechanic touched the wire, it just slipped down.

That was it. When the HU was being installed, the AC wire below that got pulled, and was not secured back. Once the AC wire was secured, everything started working.

After everything was put back, the SA took it for a trial drive with me. He was very curious about the GV since he had never driven one before. He came back very impressed, and even stunned to hear it had done 80K kms so far. Then he stopped at the entrance and bid me farewell.

Me: Hmm, what about billing?
He: No billing required, it was a tiny thing.
Me: Yeah, but I am not your regular customer.
He: That is ok. Abharan motors often help our regular customers. We are just returning the favour. They called our GM and our GM called me to take care of this.

Don't you just love Maruti Service?
Samurai is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 17:46   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

You just got to love this....while reading my mind was looking for problem and possible solutions. Continue the great ride
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 00:40   #603
Team-BHP Support

Now a small review of the custom-DIN MMI device. As I started the long drive yesterday, I was very curious to discover the new MMI navigator.

I am not new to navigation. I have used Garmin (260W & 2595LM) since 2010, apart from iPhone, Android & Nokia Here navigation.

At first I tried to use it like my Garmin devices. Set the destination and then start driving. If it doesn't like the direction I am taking, I add another via target on my selected route. This usually works with Garmin, it respects my route and falls in line. But MMI didn't do that. For the first 150kms, it calmly disagreed with me and kept asking me to do a U-turn every couple Kms. At least it didn't have the stern NY accented voice of my earlier Garmin device. I was getting seriously pissed with it, although the visuals very impressive.

In 3D mode I could see mountain terrains on the screen, which matched the mountains I could see with my eyes.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20140621_002.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20140621_003.jpg

But it kept asking me to turn back and kept showing really terrible Time-To-Destination, like 5 hours for 126kms, etc. I finally stopped and wondered why this is so. How can a MMI HU whose primary function is navigation behave like this.

So I tried setting destination again, but I carefully watched the process. When I entered the destination, it showed multiple routes and asked me to choose. That is when I realised what had happened. I had picked the default route eariler, but drove on the second route. Unlike Garmin, this device doesn't give up on the chosen route, and keeps asking you to get back to it. You have to pick the route you plan to take, otherwise risk never-ending nagging. Now I picked the route I was taking, and all nagging stopped. Finally, it started acting like a proper navigation device.

But there is one feature I really miss on this device. Recording of the route. In Garmin it records a blue line on the last 500kms of roads I have driven. I can go into any maze and find my way back thanks to the blue line. MMI has no option to record/trace the road that is being taken. That is a big let down for me.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:36   #604
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Then he stopped at the entrance and bid me farewell.

Me: Hmm, what about billing?
He: No billing required, it was a tiny thing.
Me: Yeah, but I am not your regular customer.
He: That is ok. Abharan motors often help our regular customers. We are just returning the favour. They called our GM and our GM called me to take care of this.

Don't you just love Maruti Service?
Just that extra mile travel to keep the customer happy. Love their attitude and overall approach in problem solving techniques.

India loves Maruti amd We Indians come home in a Maruti!!

Happy long mile munching with the GV.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:57   #605
BHPian

Hi Samurai and Sudev,

Here are ten reasons why I love the Vitara (which I haven't even owned)

1. The look of the Vitara (Call it love at first sight, but there is something I totally love about this beast and I do not see that in any other SUV including XUV/Duster/Safari and what not. That grill detailing on the front bonnet and the many feel of the Vitara is simply awesome)

2. Although people say it isn't one of the most popular cars, getting one for 4-4.5Lkhs you cannot complain cause what you save on buying this car you can always spend on the petrol. I've heard a lot of people say that the mileage is really low and you have to spend a lot on the petrol. I think you're saving enough when you buy a second hand one.

3. Resale Value - should not be an issue since I am a long term player and plan to buy this and keep it for a minimum of 6-7 years which mean that even if the GV sold later for 1 lakh my loss would not be how much one would lost on buying a new car.

4. Some of the other supposedly good SUV's only give around 10-12 kmpl which is not that much higher than this since Sudev even got a 13.5 kmpl with AC on one of his ling drives.

5. Maintenance - from what I have heard from users is that it is not that expensive except for the regular maintenance and a fairly big bill maybe after 50k km of really off roading. Everyone else who are friends of users have just been giving me all kinds of crap like the maintenance is close to 50k per month, including my dad. These people are like the Indian media, sadly :(

6. For the looks and the comfort, I think this is porbably the best when it comes to value of money and owning an SUV.

That said , out of the only options I have now there are two vehicles available at 4.75 and another at 7 lakhs. The 4.75 has a registration no KA04 ME2401 and has loads of team bhp stickers on it. If anyone here has any idea on whose this car could be I could be spared of going through an agent and this would benefit both the seller and me. I liked the car. The rims have been painted black. The tyres looked pretty used. The engine room wasn't really clean. I'm thinking if I should buy this. Atleast this is a KA registration. The other HR which I lost had come for a final price tag of 3.8 lakhs but going through the hassle of paying Karnataka Road tax was just too much to take the risk!

If either Samurai or Sudev ever plan to sell theirs, I could even wait for 2-3 years for that to happen. I'm serious ! That's the kind of love I have for the Suzuki Vitara !

Regards,
Arvind
madmanscam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 06:39   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

You'd be banned on this forum for being a GV fan boy!! First time this may happen to a GV fan boy thought 8-)

Keep looking for bargains and you will surely find a GV meeting your needs.
Old 24th June 2014, 20:10   #607
BHPian

Hi guys,
I recently picked a used 2007 GV Automatic from Delhi. Its in great condition and is neat and clean. I am getting about 9-10 kmpl depending on throttle control. I want to know if we can upgrade the 4 speed auto box to a 5, 6 or 7 speed box. if yes what are the options and costs.
Old 25th June 2014, 07:50   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO the GV 2007 's 4 speed auto box should be sufficient. It is not a particularly high revving engine and so needless to try this. In any case multi-gear auto boxes are more for power control rather than economy as I can infer your intention from your post.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 21:58   #609
BHPian

Even I have installed the same Mapmyindia system which you have installed. I am yet to get familiar with the system. However my concern is that my system is not playing any videos from the dvds. I have tried with several video dvds but I am not able to get any videos but its playing only music. Further I am not able to access menu options in dvd mode and I am not able to see the list of the tracks or videos etc. please guide me. thanks and regards.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2019 at 09:44. Reason: line spacing
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:27   #610
BHPian

Hi guys,
I tried getting magnetic sun shades for my grand vitara but in vain. can anyone help.
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:29   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi guys,
I recently picked a used 2007 GV Automatic from Delhi. Its in great condition and is neat and clean. I am getting about 9-10 kmpl depending on throttle control. I want to know if we can upgrade the 4 speed auto box to a 5, 6 or 7 speed box. if yes what are the options and costs.
You are the lucky chap who has driven a MT model & now is driving an AT model. Pls. start a separate post on your ownership & driving experience with particular emphasis on the AT box behaviour. Also try some low range off-roading with it to see if the AT box helps or hinders!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:02   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Any time you want to put AT box through some offroad driving I would be interested to join up in the MT box car. Would be a good comparo
But am in Delhi
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 08:18   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Any time you want to put AT box through some offroad driving I would be interested to join up in the MT box car. Would be a good comparo
But am in Delhi

I have a 2.4 Liter A/T and did a OTR Lite with NIOC in Gurgaon. I will reach out to you next time there's a Lite OTR to see if it works out.
Old 14th July 2014, 19:30   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
You are the lucky chap who has driven a MT model & now is driving an AT model. Pls. start a separate post on your ownership & driving experience with particular emphasis on the AT box behaviour. Also try some low range off-roading with it to see if the AT box helps or hinders!
Hi Mr Sridhar,
To tell you honestly I don't know how to start a new thread. However I am always willing to answer any queries on this thread or on any thread of the forum.

Honestly telling you guys I find the automatic more pleasurable to drive than the manual. you can always downshift in the GV automatic by just flooring the throttle pedal so I am not missing the pleasures of manual but at the same time I have the convenience of an automatic.
Further I always found that the manual was never rev happy but on the automatic when you floor the throttle you see that the engine happily revs to 7k rpm.

There is not much difference of FE also. On the manual the best I have achieved with very light foot and very careful driving is 11 kmpl. On the automatic with the same style I have achieved 10 kmpl. I definitely want to reach the targets that the other senior members on the forum have achieved and any suggestions on this aspect is most welcome. I am still about to discover as to at what exact speeds we can achieve best kmpl. Well petrol costs about Rs. 82/- over here and better FE is more money saved.

Otherwise I think everything else is the same. However anybody owning 2.4 manual or auto may discuss and throw more light on the differences.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:38. Reason: edited for better readability
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 19:32   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
But am in Delhi
Sir,
Will surely let you know if I happen to drive to that part of the country. If you come southward or towards Goa or Maharastra I will be willing to join you.

Most Viewed