Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 08:34   #616
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
.......There is not much difference of FE also. On the manual the best I have achieved with very light foot and very careful driving is 11 kmpl. On the automatic with the same style I have achieved 10 kmpl.....
Please no formalities of "Mr."!!

For starting a new thread you can see "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assembly-line/announcement-team-bhp-rules-please-read-before-posting.html".

Re the fuel efficiency - my one comment is I get 11 -11.5 from my Santro AT(1.1L engine) in light city traffic. our Ford Fusion 1.6petrol(MT) gives 11.5. So your values are just awesome, considering that it is a 2Litre 4WD setup.
Learn to feather the throttle & use the torque convertor for giving you the initial acceleration boost. 11 kmpl seems within reach.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:39. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 17:12   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But there is one feature I really miss on this device. Recording of the route. In Garmin it records a blue line on the last 500kms of roads I have driven. I can go into any maze and find my way back thanks to the blue line. MMI has no option to record/trace the road that is being taken. That is a big let down for me.
Hi Samurai,

I have a Silver 2.4 GV that has done 55,000kms. I also had seen and dismissed the MMI unit last year due to the cost. Now that it is cheaper I am again thinking of getting it. Wanted your opinion on whether it is truly worthwhile? I have a garmin already. Also is the dash and rear cam you have installed, extra? Which ones did you get?

thanks!
shayne
Old 20th July 2014, 18:33   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Re the fuel efficiency - my one comment is I get 11 -11.5 from my Santro AT(1.1L engine) in light city traffic. our Ford Fusion 1.6petrol(MT) gives 11.5. So your values are just awesome, considering that it is a 2Litre 4WD setup.
Learn to feather the throttle & use the torque convertor for giving you the initial acceleration boost. 11 kmpl seems within reach.
Well in city conditions maybe the GV will give no more than 7kmpl. I still have to test it separately in city and highway conditions. I have bought this vehicle knowing very well about its FE however the more the merrier and will save some fuel and foreign exchange for the country as well. that's why I keep asking for tips on getting better FE and discuss on that aspect.
Old 21st July 2014, 06:26   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

You'd be surprised. In worst of city traffic I still get 8.5+

On highway if you lead from your foot it can drop dramatically as the speed goes up. Best average is returned with light foot cruising at around 90. Share your figures
Old 21st July 2014, 09:38   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
I have a Silver 2.4 GV that has done 55,000kms. I also had seen and dismissed the MMI unit last year due to the cost. Now that it is cheaper I am again thinking of getting it. Wanted your opinion on whether it is truly worthwhile? I have a garmin already. Also is the dash and rear cam you have installed, extra? Which ones did you get?
Even I have a 5 inch Garmin device with BT. I mainly replaced it with MMI because I needed a HU upgrade without losing steering mounted controls.

Now I can connect two USB pen drives and a iPod to the HU. I can play music from USB instead of only CDs. The MMI maps are extremely more detailed and accurate compared to Garmin Maps. However, navigation software is not as good as Garmin. It will take some time to get used to the peculiarly of this software.

The reverse camera was ₹2400 extra, it comes as an option. I suggest you get an IR reverse camera instead of this. This one is quite useless at night. The dash camera was bought separately few months back from amazon.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:57   #621
BHPian

Thanks Samurai. I bought the unit from MMI online on thursday afternoon, it was at my place on friday morning! Installed it on Saturday.

I agree with what you say, except there are a couple of more downsides:
On the iPod if you have more than one album from an artist, it only starts playing from the first album and first song of that artist. You cannot choose an album within that artist.
Also the voice guidance is quite irritating when you are listening to music: it keeps muting the music, which it has to, but still.

The MMI system crashed as well once yesterday and only after the car was turned off for a while did it start working properly. So it is obviously not a 100% thought out software but it was worth the money spent. Btw i got the normal reversing camera, for Rs2000, mounted it in the centre of the number plate, where is yours mounted?

Also do you find the brightness of the screen not quite there on a sunny day? The manual say to adjust the brightness and contrast from the remote's 'OSD' button. There is no such button but assuming it is the button labeled 'CCD' then when you press this button the screen goes blue with no controls showing. So no way to adjust the screen is another downside..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:40. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 26th October 2014, 11:59   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
........If either Samurai or Sudev ever plan to sell theirs, I could even wait for 2-3 years for that to happen. I'm serious ! That's the kind of love I have for the Suzuki Vitara !
I went down to Citizen cars yesterday to have a look at a used Vitara (inspired by the ownership threads of Samurai and Sudev) and I found the very same cars that you checked out 4 months back . They told me that that they got the Vitara (ME2401 ) only a couple of weeks back .They were asking for 5.5 L for the car . I now know better thanks to your post here and in used car price check thread.

off topic , if anyone knows a used 2.4 GV that is up for sale , please point me in that direction.
Apologies to Samurai for hijacking his thread.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:41. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:12   #623
Team-BHP Support

My Grand Vitara completed 7 years and 86,600kms today. Wow, what an interesting and uneventful journey it has been. Not much to say actually, very little ever goes wrong with this vehicle.

Anyway, during 80,000Kms service, the SA had recommended spark plug and stabilizer ball joint replacement. Finally got it done in September.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-grand-vitara-10.09.2014.jpg

Couple days before the service, I had a strange incidence. I was driving towards my home, and was I merely 100 meters away. I had to slightly deviate from the center of the road to avoid a parked car.

Suddenly there was a very loud sound, like a gun shot. I came to a sudden stop and looked around. Then it occurred to me that the sound happened inside the car. So I looked inside, and I noticed that the entire cabin light assembly had popped out of the ceiling and was hanging out. It was only a half inch outside, that is what caused the sound. I was very surprised at this strange event. I tried to push the cabin light assembly back, but it was very difficult. I decided to leave it to the experts, so that they can also figure out why it popped out so violently.

The workshop did find out the problem before popping the light assembly back. There was a dent right above the cabin light assembly, which was not visible to me, I am not that tall. When I deviated to the side, the roof of the car brushed a tree branch, which is a normal event while driving on this road. Later I took a closer look at the branch and noticed a big bunch of fruits. I had had a head-on collision with a fruit bunch hidden in the branch.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20140910_002.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20141004_001.jpg

Anyway, now I am careful while approaching that tree. I even got a nice bath for the Vitara for making up for the incident.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20140926_001.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20140926_003.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 07:08   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiacz View Post
off topic , if anyone knows a used 2.4 GV that is up for sale , please point me in that direction.
Last week a friend from Bikaner found and picked up a 2.4 manual transmission from Chennai with only 20k on odo for 7.5lacs.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 23:35   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

there is a 2009 34k done 2.4 MT on sale in Goa for 6.99 ; and I saw another 2010 unregistered one in Ahmedabad sometime back for 7.75.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:30   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the one in Ahmedabad is supposedly unregistered vehicle?? If yes then stay away as some one in Jaipur went and did up close inspection. Many loopholes in the story behind. Last week was interacting with another member who was being sold a supposedly 2.4 Liter 2007 model AT with odo south of 70k. After check on MASS system the car turned out to be 2.0 Liter with service record at 1.8 lac a year back!! Be careful.

Last edited by sudev : 25th November 2014 at 12:32.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:55   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiacz View Post
I went down to Citizen cars yesterday to have a look at a used Vitara (inspired by the ownership threads of Samurai and Sudev) and I found the very same cars that you checked out 4 months back . They told me that that they got the Vitara (ME2401 ) only a couple of weeks back .They were asking for 5.5 L for the car . I now know better thanks to your post here and in used car price check thread.

Apologies to Samurai for hijacking his thread.
Guys, Please watchout. The ME 2401 car really caught my eye with the sunroof etc. But on getting it checked at the nexus service centre I clearly found out that the car was serviced at 1,55,000 km in March and had been through an accident. Also, there were not a single time when it had been taken to a MASS station. It had been with local mechanics all through. This was owned by a Coorgi student who studied at Manipal. MASS gave me this information thankfully and I dropped the idea of buying this and went for a Honda City 2006 model which was in mint condition. However, my thirst fr the GV hasn't faded one bit. Am still on the lookout for a beast sometime soon
Old 25th November 2014, 13:37   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, there were not a single time when it had been taken to a MASS station. It had been with local mechanics all through. This was owned by a Coorgi student who studied at Manipal.
A Vitara in Manipal that I didn't know about? I am highly suspicious of this information. What color and what year Vitara is this?
Old 25th November 2014, 14:18   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A Vitara in Manipal that I didn't know about? I am highly suspicious of this information. What color and what year Vitara is this?
Hi Samurai,

Yes, its the same black GV Vitara with a registration number KA 19 ME 2401 (Please delete this if it is against the forum rules to post a vehicle's number)

The Odometer read some 60k kms while it has done around 155k km and most of the engine and suspension was ruined. You might have seen this.
Old 25th November 2014, 14:33   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Please watchout. The ME 2401 car really caught my eye with the sunroof etc. But on getting it checked at the nexus service centre I clearly found out that the car was serviced at 1,55,000 km in March and had been through an accident. Also, there were not a single time when it had been taken to a MASS station. It had been with local mechanics all through. This was owned by a Coorgi student who studied at Manipal. MASS gave me this information thankfully and I dropped the idea of buying this and went for a Honda City 2006 model which was in mint condition. However, my thirst fr the GV hasn't faded one bit. Am still on the lookout for a beast sometime soon
I think you are talking about the Black Vitara with KA19 registration.
I had a look at this car some time back and yes the meter was clocked back.
The warranty manual had a periodic maintenance sheet where it was last serviced at a MASS in 2010 at ODO reading of 100000+Kms.
While on the actual car it is showing 74000Kms.

Also about the ME2401 Silver Vitara, this one also has been in two major accidents (confirmed by my contact in Mandovi).

Be very careful when you are buying used cars from dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks