Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 15:08   #631
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I think you are talking about the Black Vitara with KA19 registration.
Oh yeah ! I got the two confused. The black is the KA19 and some 696* number which has clocked more than 1.5 lakhs and the silver one is the one with the TBHP stickers on it and is also available at citizen cars and is an accident repaired vehicle and as good as a lemon.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 10:42. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 26th February 2015, 20:13   #632
Team-BHP Support

Last month I got the 90000Kms service done. Not a single problem to fix.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-grand-vitara-service-jan-2015.jpg

They also reported disc brake pads were close to giving up. A new set was ordered, I got it replaced it today.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-grand-vitar-repair-feb-15.jpg
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 10:14   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now Udupi has another Grand Vitara. After watching my Vitara over the last few years, BHPian Sashas (Sachin) decided to buy a pre-owned GV himself. After 3 months of hunt in Mumbai, he finally found a very good 2008 MT model.

Attachment 1226749
I am hunting around for a 2L AT model. There are quite a few available in Mumbai, but I am hesitating as I fear for internal cavities rust.

Could you check up with Sashas whether his vehicle showed any such issues & if so how he has dealt with it?

regards
Sridhar
Old 27th February 2015, 10:23   #634
Team-BHP Support

Internal cavities rust? Why do you suspect that in Sachin's vehicle and not mine?
Old 27th February 2015, 10:58   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last month I got the 90000Kms service done. Not a single problem to fix.

They also reported disc brake pads were close to giving up. A new set was ordered, I got it replaced it today.
I am amazed by the low cost of servicing for your Vitara. I just got the 90K service done on my Swift and it costed me 4120/-. This did not include wheel alignment, Balancing or Synthetic oil.

The high running cost of Petrol is negated by the peace of mind your Vitara provides for Routine Maintenance and Reliability.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 11:33   #636
Team-BHP Support

I wonder what would happen if I service my Vitara in Bangalore?

The current petrol (Rs.61.x) while it lasts makes me feel really good even with 11kmpl highway FE of the Vitara.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:42   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Internal cavities rust? Why do you suspect that in Sachin's vehicle and not mine?
Mumbai, particularly some of the suburbs, is a toxic mix of salt air environement and methane and other gases from the creeks. So vehicles are more likely to catch rust, particularly if the drain outlets in the doors and other areas get clogged.

In 1988 my Maruti 800 started showing rust after only 5 months of use in Oshiwara & Vokhroli areas of Mumbai.!!

Your Manipal location is reasonably inland and boy is the air there fresh. (been thru in 2008 on the way from Karwar to Sringeri).
Old 27th February 2015, 20:10   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Mumbai, particularly some of the suburbs, is a toxic mix of salt air environement and methane and other gases from the creeks. So vehicles are more likely to catch rust, particularly if the drain outlets in the doors and other areas get clogged.
I checked with Sachin, he was surprised to hear of such a condition. He had his Vitara thoroughly examined down to every bolt after his purchase. He can't think of a single instance of rust. He is unable to reply himself since his PC has gone kaput since some time.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:36   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
a toxic mix of salt air environement .vehicles are more likely to catch rust, particularly if the drain outlets in the doors and other areas get clogged.
Based on my observations , the possible rust prone areas are the areas on the top of the door adjoining the rubber beading and the bottom of the door near the drains.

Also body parts that have seen the oxy acetylene torch(during denting) can also corrode.

Other than that the GV has no "rust risk" areas.

I changed the battery on my GV 3 days back as the old one showed signs of low cranking power:

Old battery: SF Sonic JMB700L (built 06/2011)

New battery: Amaron 95D26L (built 03/2015)

This is not the OE spec for GV but better on Ah.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th May 2015 at 11:39. Reason: Consecutive posts merged, thanks.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:09   #640
BHPian

Thanks to GTO for implanting,with his article, the idea of "Lateral Updates" in my mind .

Thanks to Sudev and Samurai for their detailed ownership reports. The feedback of all forum members was instrumental in my decision to go in for a Grand Vitara.

And thanks to Suzuki for making such a wonderful car.

Finally took delivery of a 2007 Grand Vitara AT with 71500 kms on the odometer. Lovingly maintained by the previous owners, particularly the person from whom I bought it.

Had it thoroughly checked. Some bumper dents and minor scratches need to be touched up. No rusting anywhere, which is amazing considering it was in Versova-Mumbai for over 4 years.
May need to change 1 tyre. Will check condition of suspension & battery by promptly going on a long trip.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-gvside-view.jpg  

sridhar-v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:36   #641
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! Welcome to the club. What is the going rate for a 2007 AT model?
Old 11th May 2015, 12:31   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Welcome to the club. What is the going rate for a 2007 AT model?
It is a very fluid market.
For manual vehicles of similar vintage I was getting quotes between 4.1 to 8 Lakhs in Pune. One AT was picked up for 5.6 Lakhs a day before I could visit to see it.
This particular vehicle was with a third owner. Price paid by us (bought in my mother's name) was 4.75 Lakhs, with the understanding that I will need to spend around 25,000 to bring it up to shape. Currently it looks like I may need to spend slightly more. Nothing serious.
I liked the owner's approach during our phone talk. Went to Mumbai the very next day and we became very comfortable with each other. I found his offer fair and bargained only to the extent of mutually agreed figure for repairs.
The seller was selling the car only because recently he was forced to park it on the road. His wife had bought an Audi, which necessarily had to occupy their covered parking. He was quite emotional while handing over the keys. I can understand & empathise. It really is a wonderful vehicle.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 19:40   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome Sridhar.

You will find the build quality , especially interiors, top notch.

The number of owners is insignificant as long as the vehicle is good.

You will tend to feel a slight loss of power while climbing an incline ; just shift the lever to 3 and see the surge in power.

I will also recommend a K&N filter.

Enjoy the drive .
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:14   #644
BHPian

Hi, I am also in the market to acquire a pre-owned Vitara 2.4L . which one is better, manual transmission or Auto transmission? how is the clutch movement?
Old 15th May 2015, 10:13   #645
BHPian

It is too early for me give firm data. But here are my observations:-

I have 2007 2L AT. The AT box is more than adequate if your driving style is sedate to mildly aggressive. It does not give good figures in stop and go traffic. With the limited driving I have done over the past few days, I am getting 6-8 kmpl in the city. On the drive down from Mumbai I would have averaged around 12kmpl, including around 30 kms of evening traffic. It is approximate as it is not on full tank to full tank basis.

One friend of mine, who bought a 2L Manual, reported 15kmpl on a long distance drive (full tank basis).
I am going on a longish drive and will report the figures next week.

I guess the 2.4L will also give similar results as it is a better engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks