Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2017, 21:09   #1066
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Congratulations to another proud Vitara owner ! a 2.0L AT has joined the gang : the journey to the owner was perilous and it is a miracle it made it in one piece .

Will the proud new owner identify himself
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by wbd8779 : 29th September 2017 at 21:39.
wbd8779 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 21:16   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Guilty as charged. Thanks Salman for the help given and I have no words to express my gratitude. Ownership thread is coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
but the noise is tak tak, too low
Styler
Replace the Lower control arms.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th September 2017 at 21:22. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Quote + instead. Thanks.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 09:56   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guilty as charged. Thanks Salman for the help given and I have no words to express my gratitude. Ownership thread is coming up soon.
Welcome to the club. Particularly happy as I also have a Black 2L AT.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:43   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks since I bought a "new" GV2.0 I was rereading the manual and this caught my attention. Never knew this was also available on GV to get out of slushy situations. Anyone tried braking while wheels were spinning to crawl out of sticky situation.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-1509333169271.jpg  

sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:12   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Folks since I bought a "new" GV2.0 I was rereading the manual and this caught my attention. Never knew this was also available on GV to get out of slushy situations. Anyone tried braking while wheels were spinning to crawl out of sticky situation.
I have a 2L AT model. If you have read my offroading posts we have taken the GVs into tricky situations. In the first case my Gv got stuck in a couple of water and moss filled potholes, while crossing a stream. There was a lot of wheelspin and loss of traction. Some deft rocking and reversing managed to get me out of the situations.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...shet-lake.html

In the second outing we were trying to cross a ploughed sugarcane field. My GV got bogged down and the rear wheel just started digging in and spinning away merrily. Eventually we had to tow the vehicle out of the rut.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...tow-cable.html

In the second incident I did try to apply light pressure on the brakes to enable the non rotating wheel to get some traction. That trick did not work. It is quite possible that i did not do it properly. Anyways, I am quite certain that there is no feature of brake based traction control on the GVs sold in India. One needs the ESP module for that as far as I know.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:27   #1071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Never knew this was also available on GV to get out of slushy situations. Anyone tried braking while wheels were spinning to crawl out of sticky situation.
This is a standard technique in any 4WD system that uses torsen LSD, nothing to do with ESP. I have mentioned this earlier here.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 16:09   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I am quite certain that there is no feature of brake based traction control on the GVs sold in India. One needs the ESP module for that as far as I know.
Yeah it's not there. Suzuki-forums.com guys often talk about how this traction control helps a lot off-road. It's not the same as proper diff locks but still. I don't know who should I feel bitter towards, MSIL or Suzuki, for it not being included in the India versions. That and cruise control (although maybe back in the day Indian highways weren't as cruise-control-worthy as they are now).
Old 31st October 2017, 16:54   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not think ESP had anything to do with this.

Twice in past I got stuck with cross axle articulation. Had I known this would have tried. Hopefully next time. 😂

Though how would one manage in MT gear box? Heel toe with right foot? In AT it's easy with left foot braking gently.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 09:46   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Though how would one manage in MT gear box? Heel toe with right foot? In AT it's easy with left foot braking gently.
This is doable by pulling the handbrake up. Theoretically should increase the engine torque going to the rear if the center diff is locked.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:00   #1075
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanmay simple but effective. Thanks. Now looking forward to next time I get stuck. 8-)
Old 12th November 2017, 20:58   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Early this month, on the day my GV completed 10 years, I had to visit the very temple where we had the puja upon purchase. I took a snap to compare the difference in 10 years.

This was taken on 4-11-2007

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-_b044414.jpg

This was taken on 3-11-2017

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20171103_134333499_hdr.jpg

Only difference I see are that the road is concretized and there are telephone poles.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 22:03   #1077
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai san - but the car is looking equally great!!! Many more years with it.

@All - earlier this week purposely got the car in to a situation where the rear right lifted in to air. Then I tried using handbrake to see if some torque is transferred to the wheel on the ground. No. None. Neither in 4H nor in 4L. I was expecting some moment but despite closely observing did not feel any transfer of power to stationary wheel. Tried various handbrake settings too including jerks.

What next.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 22:09   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I took a snap to compare the difference in 10 years.
Absolutely no difference in your car, looks like she has been through a time machine. Many more miles to come.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 00:06   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then I tried using handbrake to see if some torque is transferred to the wheel on the ground. No. None. Neither in 4H nor in 4L. I was expecting some moment but despite closely observing did not feel any transfer of power to stationary wheel. Tried various handbrake settings too including jerks.

What next.
Well, the torque multiplication only works for torsen LSD, which is only present in center diff. And it will only work in 4H and not 4HL/4LL.

When you lock the center diff in 4HL/4LL, there is no multiplication effect.

When you use handbrake to arrest the rear right from spinning, it does increase the torque sent to the wheels, but may be it wasn't enough to pull you out of trouble. Unlike in ESP equipped models, same amount of torque goes to both wheels here.

But both your front wheels had good traction, it should have moved out in locked mode. Something doesn't sound right here.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:47   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Can only try again.

Both front wheels were good on traction. With 4H mode with one wheel off the ground none of the other wheels were moving.

Had done this at Off Road Adventure Zone a place created for off road action. Fortunately ORAZ facility is not too far from my home. Next time will also try and get video

Most Viewed