Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 17:04   #1186
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The Grand Vitara is a capable car. And it can run with shot suspensions without too much of issues.
So schedule your repairs as per funds availability.
And take it on bad roads pronto. You won't regret buying the car or spending something extra on the repairs.
My car parts arrived last week and got them changed. Took a massive damage to the wallet but the car is running better than ever. Other than the suspension, the ignition coil assembly set me back by the most. The total cost for the repairs closed at about 68K. Got the car new Goodyear Wrangler HP tyres that set me back by around 24K. Super stoked to have the car running smooth back again. Need to save up for the OME kit now.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:19   #1187
Team-BHP Support

After Sudev posted about the water pump belt failure, i have been trying to source the parts for belt replacement along with the pump. It's been frigging 3 weeks and still parts are to arrive. Losing patience now!

Paranoid coz my car has a whine (mostly the water pump) and i don't want to risk a failure while driving out of town! I confirmed the whine is not normal, after driving another 2.4 L AT which we were checking for a friend.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:47   #1188
BHPian

Once in a while it gets hard to slot my Grand Vitara 2.0 into 1st and 2nd Gear. I think normally when cold. It happens only occasionally.
Has anybody experienced this ?
My clutch plate is good, done about 95K in all. The Gear lever has lot of play and the MASS didnt have a solution to this during the last couple of visits for other work.
Got the Clutch Cylinder checked for leaks and did not find any leak.
Brake / Clutch oil is clean and has not reduced level at all so we are sure there are no leaks at all.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:52   #1189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
My clutch plate is good, done about 95K in all. The Gear lever has lot of play and the MASS didnt have a solution to this during the last couple of visits for other work.
Brake / Clutch oil is clean and has not reduced level at all so we are sure there are no leaks at all.
One reason can be clutch plates are approaching end, other being the shifter mechanism. If i am not mistaken GV has cable type shift and adjusting the slack might help. Had done this on my swift and ritz with good results.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:37   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Once in a while it gets hard to slot my Grand Vitara 2.0 into 1st and 2nd Gear. I think normally when cold. It happens only occasionally.
Has anybody experienced this ?
95K life is too good for a clutch plate. Unless the previous owner had changed them. Check with the service records. I feel that your clutch pressure plate is the likely culprit.

If the clutch plate is good then another possible reason is worn bushes in the shift linkage.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-mt-shifter-assly-bushings.jpg

It. 26 - Bush Joint 28152-84A00
& It. 19 - Bush Gear Shift shaft 28119-64J00
are the likely culprits.
It. 45- Bush - 28119-84A00 &
It. 18 09304-14020 may also be causing the hard shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
After Sudev posted about the water pump belt failure, i have been trying to source the parts for belt replacement along with the pump. It's been frigging 3 weeks and still parts are to arrive. Losing patience now!

Paranoid coz my car has a whine (mostly the water pump) and i don't want to risk a failure while driving out of town! I confirmed the whine is not normal, after driving another 2.4 L AT which we were checking for a friend.
I also faced the same delays. And had one belt sent back because it was of the wrong length. Ask your SA to physically check the length of the old and new belts before he fits it.

For AT engines the drive belt no is 95141-60390.
(for MT engines the belt is different - 17521-77620)

While you are at it also change the Tensioner Assly (17540-77610) and Idler Pulley (17530-77E00). If you can get a good mechanic to open apart these asslys. you can manage to change the internal bearing only.
sridhar-v is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:07   #1191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
95K life is too good for a clutch plate.
Doesn't that depend on driving conditions and the driver? I am at 125K and still on original clutch. I asked my local Maruti works manager, and he said one swift did 180K on original clutch and told me not to worry for now.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th May 2018 at 11:08.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:13   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Doesn't that depend on driving conditions and the driver? I am at 125K and still on original clutch. I asked my local Maruti works manager, and he said one swift did 180K on original clutch and told me not to worry for now.
Samurai I had your GV in mind when I said the Clutch plate is in good condition. My Scorpio's original clutch lasted 1.35 lac kms.
I have had the Grand Vitara only for the last 5000 kms and I really don't know how the previous owner drove it. It is the original clutch though.

I spoke to the mechanic at MASS motorcraft, and from the description of the problem his view was also that the culprit is probably the Pressure Plate.

It is not causing any major problems right now. I will drive it for some more time and see how it goes. Once I decide to get it opened, we will change the Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and the Clutch Cylinder which comes with the bearing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Styler.
Old 12th May 2018, 11:49   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
125K is really a very good life. And yes it does depend on the driver's style.

How is your OME suspension shaping up? And how is the ride and handling compared to the OE(when new)?
Old 18th May 2018, 11:23   #1194
Team-BHP Support

Finally got the ATF replaced yesterday, manual says 2.5 liter needed. I had ensured we collect the drained oil into a measuring can, and almost 3.3 Liters came out! The brown oil at dip stick was actually more black when it drained. Not thickened and border lining on burnt. Anyways.. i had got only 3 quarts of Mobil ATF with me, so decided to dump that in and immediately placed order for one more quart in Amazon. Fluid is at min level range for warm for now, so keeping the driving to minimum. Additional quart can should come in next 1-1.5 week. First impression- shift is definitely more seamless, the "jerk" while engaging first time in the morning has mellowed down too.

So people with auto box, please get the oil replaced every 40,000 kms atleast for our Indian conditions. The 1.65 Lakhs is under "ideal driving conditions".

Next job was to attend to the whine from the engine, removed the water pump belt to realize that the tensioner wheel is the culprit. Had the other two pulley wheels also replaced. That is when we relaised that MUL has nicely put the wrong part inside the right cover of the tensioner assembly (pack was fully torn so may have got mixed up) and sent to us. The tensioner was for a 2 liter one which is different (larger pulley wheel). So installed the belt back in with just 2 new pulley wheels, sound has come down a bit. Right now confirming for the right part to be sent again. I have the water pump kit also with me, since the pump seems fine i am just wondering i will keep it as spare for now.

Oh and found a nice microfiber towel inside the air filter box! seems like got sucked in after a wash lol Someone might have kept it at the snorkel opening to prevent water entry. No difference felt with it was removed lol
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 11:56   #1195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is your OME suspension shaping up? And how is the ride and handling compared to the OE(when new)?
Certainly better than last year, in both ride and handling. However, I can't compare it to when it was new since there is no way to measure and compare against my 10 year old memory of it. It will be very subjective and may mean nothing.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 17:38   #1196
Team-BHP Support

Need help

So the pulley is becoming a complicated find. The part which was available in other dealership is also same as the wrong part we found. The pulley wheel is large sized which would not fit. Similarly there is a difference in the body also.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-3n.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2n.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-1n.jpg

This is what we need for 2.4L AT engine, i can see this in ebay et all. Funny thing, it is same part number. Smaller dia pulley with tapered insides, and that black hook thingie on the side.

OEM compatible: 1754054L00
Part Type: Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly
Position: Accessory Drive
Quantity Required: 1
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 2.4L 2393CC l4 GAS OHC Naturally Aspirated

Any leads on local procurement would be appreciated.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-0790grv.jpg
Old 19th May 2018, 06:40   #1197
BHPian

Re: Need help

Quote:
So the pulley is becoming a complicated find. The part which was available in other dealership is also same as the wrong part we found. The pulley wheel is large sized which would not fit. Similarly there is a difference in the body also.
===============

Any leads on local procurement would be appreciated.
A quick search on Parrsouq threw up a part no as: 17540-54L01.
The corresponding belt no. is 17521-54L31.

Your photo is for part no 17540-54L00. So maybe a search with the new number may help.

There seem to be 2 types of water pumps. But the tensioner and belt are common for both. I am attaching screen grabs for your reference.

The 2L tensioner assly part number being thrown up is 17540-77E10.

What is the difference in diameter of your existing and the new pulley?

All the best.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2.4l-cooling-belt-type32.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2.4l-cooling-belt-type32a.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 09:10. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 09:08   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
So the pulley is becoming a complicated find.

Attachment 1762124
Have you tried finding the part number with Leoshashi: in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...st-pg-1-a.html

Once part number is available, the same can be ordered via MASS or directly to MGP dealer.

Last edited by spgv : 19th May 2018 at 09:09. Reason: punctuation
spgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 10:21   #1199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Your photo is for part no 17540-54L00. So maybe a search with the new number may help

The 2L tensioner assly part number being thrown up is 17540-77E10.

What is the difference in diameter of your existing and the new pulley?

All the best.
Trying all permutations and combinations but the correct part number from maruti software Vs real part is a mismatch.
17540-54L00-RX0
# 17540-54L00
#17540-78K00
#17540-54L00-000

All these are same part as per another site The diameter difference is about 1/2 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
Have you tried finding the part number with Leoshashi
——
Once part number is available, the same can be ordered via MASS or directly to MGP dealer.
Thanks. Just did that, fingers crossed.

The actual part as seen on the engine.
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-44b3f8feb90542f69de7024a549bc4c8.jpeg

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2018 at 10:22.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 15:10   #1200
BHPian

Samurai Sir
I came across a reply of yours in some other GV thread.
Can you please share the Bosch part numbers or ordering details of 19" Wiperblades.
Previously for rear wiper i have used zen estillo wiper. Dont want to go for jugaad now.

Most Viewed