Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
golden rule : never drive at night unless its absolutely impossible to avoid it. clean headlights with some water at regular intervals. and preferably keep 80-90 as speed of driving lest some insane nut cases cross right in front of your bonnet. the toll road is notorious for this.

Srik
I agree 100%. During my recent return trip from Mumbai to Hyd, I was crossing a village at around 70 kmph at around 7 pm. I slowed down to 60 as the road was veering to the left, and dipped my headlights as some 2-wheelers were approaching in the opposite direction. Suddenly my son shouted out, and I braked soon after spotting a black cow crossing the highway. HadI been driving faster, I could not have braked in time.
Another golden rule---even if you dip your lights, get back to main beam soon, else you may fail to spot a dark object on your way.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
normally many of us (let me be safe, I won't say all of us ) try to be on highest possible gear in any speed, I too do the same - but I didn't realize to shift to 5th gear when I overtook that time.
At what rpm's ? Doesn't your car knock when you try to do this at lower rpms ? Am sure this ain't good for the engine.

I think you should try practicing shifting from 4k/5k onwards. Its fun sometimes when you get that much wanted adrenaline rush .

Benny boy backwater effects eh ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 2nd January 2008 at 14:58.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
on engaging the reverse gear and releasing clutch i am getting a katak-katak sound. this sometimes happens on first gear also.
note this noise is there when the car is moving. Any pointers?
I too get the same whenever I release the clutch! I have to take care to release the clutch very very slowly and there is no such sound then. I am planning to report the same during second service.
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:42   #64
BHPian

from ur signature.I noticed we have got the car delivery at around the same time(i got mine in Sept last week) maybe this is a batch issue.
I will be talking to the Service guys regarding this.this weekend or something.Dont want to delay it incase its a part failure.it sounds like a fan belt slip too me but then why would it happen on clutch release.
I think it must be a defective clutch bearing or something.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
from ur signature.I noticed we have got the car delivery at around the same time(i got mine in Sept last week) maybe this is a batch issue.
I will be talking to the Service guys regarding this.this weekend or something.Dont want to delay it incase its a part failure.it sounds like a fan belt slip too me but then why would it happen on clutch release.
I think it must be a defective clutch bearing or something.
Please keep me posted on what they say! I went to the service station with this problem and they were saying something about clutch actuating suddenly but I was not at all convinced . Maybe your service guys will actually tell if there is a real problem!
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:37   #66
BHPian

Get it fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Please keep me posted on what they say! I went to the service station with this problem and they were saying something about clutch actuating suddenly but I was not at all convinced . Maybe your service guys will actually tell if there is a real problem!
Guys, This is problem in clutch, called clutch chatter. This may require alignment. Just now I got a form from MUL asking about problems after 5K KM. Few listed problems were new to me. So I asked about each of them to service station guy. This was mentioned under section of Manual Transmission problems along with other problems like gear handle vibration, clutch pedal vibration, clutch engagement is not smooth, gear shift gives grinding noise, improper play, hard clutch pedal etc.

Regards,
Om
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:28   #67
BHPian

thanks for the pointer omishra,could please type out the form here or click an image and upload it? thanks.it would help us all.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I too get the same whenever I release the clutch! I have to take care to release the clutch very very slowly and there is no such sound then. I am planning to report the same during second service.
Does it give the khatak-khatak sound when you release clutch quickly? If you release clutch fastly, you'll see sudden shake, but may not be such sounds - it must be reported to service guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Guys, This is problem in clutch, called clutch chatter. This may require alignment. Just now I got a form from MUL asking about problems after 5K KM. Few listed problems were new to me. So I asked about each of them to service station guy. This was mentioned under section of Manual Transmission problems along with other problems like gear handle vibration, clutch pedal vibration, clutch engagement is not smooth, gear shift gives grinding noise, improper play, hard clutch pedal etc.

Regards,
Om
Clutch chatter is something different, IMHO. While driving at higher speeds (RPMs 2.5K & beyond) you'll observe some kind of vibration in clutch - this is called chatter. I reported few times, not solved yet, following with service guys.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:57   #69
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the pointer omishra,could please type out the form here or click an image and upload it? thanks.it would help us all.
Sorry arpandiv, I already filled it and posted back. I do not have its copy with me. I didnot take any photocopy because I did not face any problem with my vehicle.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:08   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Does it give the khatak-khatak sound when you release clutch quickly? If you release clutch fastly, you'll see sudden shake, but may not be such sounds - it must be reported to service guys.
Yeah, this khatak-khatak sound is there when I release the clutch and I dont do it very fast either! It wasnt there in my zen,however fast I released the clutch!Now the sequence I have to follow to avoid the sound from coming is release accelerator-press clutch-change gear-wait for a second or two-release clutch very slowly-press accelerator again!I sometimes dont get this sound when I press the accelerator while simultaneously releasing the clutch...but I need to get this checked up!
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:16   #71
Team-BHP Support

the khatak khatak sound is there in my alto, my friend's alto and my friend's estilo. It's pretty standard across all maruti's now.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:43   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
the khatak khatak sound is there in my alto, my friend's alto and my friend's estilo. It's pretty standard across all maruti's now.

But my car has a Maruti badge too. But no such sounds. Shades of Sherlock Holmes then ?!
Old 19th February 2008, 08:36   #73
BHPian

Update on clutch & accelerator vibration issue

RNS guys took my vehicle few days back and said that engineer from Maruti is here to rectify the problem. They claimed to have replaced many parts (I am yet to speak with service manager to find more details). I got my vehicle the next day and STILL THE PROBLEM REMAINS !!!

I am doubting if Maruti engineers know the root cause and solution. Something wrong with their design or so. Hmmmmmm.
Old 19th February 2008, 13:15   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I wrote about it to maruti through their website and someone called me the very next day. Since I mentioned that I wanted these issues like the khatak-khatak sound to be taken care of during my cars second service, he requested me to give him a call one day before I went to the service station and that he would have someone check the car thoroughly and resolve the niggles.
Old 25th February 2008, 17:56   #75
BHPian

I do here a sharp noise in the engine sometimes when I start my car & just start moving. It sounds something like "cheeeeeeeeee" for sometime (for 2 to 3 seconds) & then disappears. I wonder what noise is this. I didn't talk to Maruti guys yet as this is not regular noise.

Has anybody experienced this? Any thoughts?

Most Viewed