Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 20:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyway, now that the solenoid has been changed, has the smoking gone away? And any improvement in running?
Old 12th May 2009, 20:52   #32
BHPian

Just a Q, is it true that these Accent 3-cylinder CRDI engines develop a periodic engine disaster and requires an expensive build? I see a few have crossed over 1L kms.
I've considered buying one and I was asked to stay away.
How about availibility of parts in the coming years?
Old 12th May 2009, 21:06   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Just a Q, is it true that these Accent 3-cylinder CRDI engines develop a periodic engine disaster and requires an expensive build? I see a few have crossed over 1L kms.
Not that I have heard of. I drive a Dec. 2004 Accent Viva CRDi, and the odo is at 92.5k km now. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-till-now.html. I haven't come across anyone else reporting an engine disaster on this forum either.
Quote:
I've considered buying one and I was asked to stay away.
How about availibility of parts in the coming years?
The 3-cylinder 1.5L engine and the 4-cylinder 2.0L engine (from the Tucson, Elantra, Sonata, Chevy Optra TCDi and Chevy Captiva) share a number of common components. In any case I have found that spares are easily available in Delhi (and at a lower cost), without needing to run to Hyundai every time. For example, an injector costs about Rs.20k at Hyundai, but about Rs.8k outside (the same injector, not an quivalent - equivalents are at Rs.3.5k).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th May 2009 at 21:11.
Old 13th May 2009, 07:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Anyway, now that the solenoid has been changed, has the smoking gone away? And any improvement in running?
Well, essentially the car is back to normal. No smoke at all.. I guess I will take your help if I need to procure such parts in future.

badri
Old 13th May 2009, 07:40   #35

I have a Jan 2004 Accent Viva CRDi which has done 84k km as of now. Engine failed at 79k kms. Cost me 65k to set right. Every thing was replaced. I had to go through running in procedure again. Original estimate was 1 Lakh which was bought down after I took up the issue with Hyundai.
Old 13th May 2009, 15:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Menon View Post
I have a Jan 2004 Accent Viva CRDi which has done 84k km as of now. Engine failed at 79k kms. Cost me 65k to set right. Every thing was replaced. I had to go through running in procedure again. Original estimate was 1 Lakh which was bought down after I took up the issue with Hyundai.
What engine failure are we talking about? Have you seen the damaged components?
From what i know, its the crank bottom which seizes. Most cases, the crank shaft needs a change or some dealers re-grind and use oversize bearings.
Old 14th May 2009, 05:07   #37

Quote:
What engine failure are we talking about? Have you seen the damaged components?
From what i know, its the crank bottom which seizes. Most cases, the crank shaft needs a change or some dealers re-grind and use oversize bearings.

I am not much of a technical person, so in layman terms, one of the cylinders seized. I did see the damaged compenents. The crankshaft had bit of peices chipped off and scraches on the inside of all of the cylinder sleeves. The reason given was that one of the lubrication lines had failed.

I was talking to HV Kumar through the various visits to the workshop since my technical knowledge is limited and he was huge help. However, I am a lawyer and good at escalating issues, so took up with the Hyundai regional office who were quick to step in and assist.

In fact Kumar was suggesting at that point in time that I should start a thread on the issue, but the fact that I would have to explain/answer techincal matters made me lazier than usual. No intention of hijacking this thread either, just to put on record that there is at least one issue with the Viva CRDi on this forum.

The car remains with me and gives exemplary service as before irrespective of the problem.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:22   #38
BHPian

I have heard of this seizure from other Hyundai dealers here too. So does this mean the oil line clogging is a common issue? A few who tend to change oil on timely based avoid the issues, but others fall prey.
These diesels are high mile muchers and economical so usage is high and owners tend to shoot off the oil change schedule.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:32   #39
BHPian

150K and going on and on......

Guys!

Mine has done 150K recently! I would say all in all a superb car!

I have never opened the hood except for an oil change and once for the Timing belt replacement at 95K (always done very lazily).

Recently I have started to feel slight loss of power and the engine sound has changed a bit.

Will be writing a complete 150k report soon!

Cheers!
Vinay Rathore
Old 18th May 2009, 10:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

hey, congrats on your 150K completion. This is one real positive note for us to keep the car beyond 100K..

Cheers
Old 18th May 2009, 11:36   #41
BHPian

Guys, my dad's accent crdi has clocked 130k on odo..no problem so far..he used to change oil every 5 k..engine still perform like new..it's just an awesome car to drive with so much torque in..
Old 18th May 2009, 21:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Guys!

Mine has done 150K recently! I would say all in all a superb car!

I have never opened the hood except for an oil change and once for the Timing belt replacement at 95K (always done very lazily).

Recently I have started to feel slight loss of power and the engine sound has changed a bit.

Will be writing a complete 150k report soon!

Cheers!
Vinay Rathore
Hi Vinay,

Looking forward for the 150k report.

At this juncture, my car is still smooth and looks like it can run 50-60k more without mechanical issues. But after the recent solonoid failure, I dont have the same confidence on electrical and associated parts. Anyways, the car is going to stay with me for atleast couple years more and I hope things stay ok till then.

cheers
badri
Old 19th May 2009, 09:14   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Rajiv Menon: Same here as vinayrathore and kphilip. My Accent Viva CRDi has done over 92.5k km. I've been extra particular to change engine oil within 7-8k km, although Hyundai recommends change at 10k km.

A couple of quick questions:
1. How frequently do you change the engine oil?
2. How frequently do yuo flush your engine?
Old 20th May 2009, 19:51   #44
BHPian

My service frequency is as follows

Oil, Oil Filter: Every 5000 kms

Fuel Filter, Air Filter: Every 10000 kms

Engine decarbonising: Every 20,000 kms

I tend to go ahead of the schedule because of the fact that my usage is 90% in city. Technically my 5000kms may equate to 9000kms of some one doing mostly high way travelling.

There should be some way to know the number of hours the engine has run between services...

Most Viewed