Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Regarding Interior Light Switch

Would like to know if anyone has faced this problem.

I noticed that at times when I take a 'sudden sharp' turn or go over a really bad patch of road, the Interior light switch goes on and then turns off. Is this a cause of concern and what should I tell the service guys to check for?

Another problem that I've only now noticed (after my last trip) is that when I apply the brakes really hard, I can hear this sound coming from the rear. The car doesn't shudder nor is there any loss of performance in braking though, just this annoying sound like something's being grated. What could be the problem? Anyone's experienced this?
Old 12th December 2007, 19:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post

I noticed that at times when I take a 'sudden sharp' turn or go over a really bad patch of road, the Interior light switch goes on and then turns off. Is this a cause of concern and what should I tell the service guys to check for?
Nothing to worry about there is some loose contact on one of the door electrical contacts.
Go to MASS and they will rectify the same in a jiffy.
Old 12th December 2007, 19:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

i faced similar problem on delivery (read my long term report part 1 lol), hit a pot hole and light comes ON, finally found a faulty ignition switch BUT then it got resolved automatically also. If this is the issue moving the key fob while inside the ignition switch should replicate the issue.

But in your case i have a feeling its one of the door switches, have you fitted an after market central lock? if so check the switches on the hood and the tail gate also.
Old 13th December 2007, 09:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But in your case i have a feeling its one of the door switches, have you fitted an after market central lock? if so check the switches on the hood and the tail gate also.
Jaggu, actually I did get after market remote locking fit (mine was the LDi), so as you guys suggested, it must be something to do with one of the switches. Will probably check it at my next service. Thanks again.
Old 4th March 2008, 17:24   #20
BHPian

4th Service at 19750 km

An update after a real long time, so here goes.

It's been 8 months and I still feel like it was just yesterday that I bought my first car (and what a ride it has been). Have kept the 'Bumble Bee' busy with weekend trips to Chennai, Mettupalayam - Ooty - Mudumalai - Mysore (on the same trip), Cochin and then a few trips home to Vellore. There have been no serious problems so far, so this is going to be a very boring 4th service write-up

Got the 4th service done at Bimal's (Whitefield) and planning to try 'Green Cars' at Koramangala from the next time (Anyone with personal experiences with these guys?) coz of the convenience factor.

Some of the niggles that I'd reported to the service advisor were,

1) Rattles esp on the left side - front and rear doors (probably the windows or the seat belt assembly)
2) Engine noise seems unusually rough when accelerating in 2nd gear (probably at around 2.5 K rpm)
3) Brakes seem to have lost it's bite
4) Right fog lamp conked out
5) Wiper blades to be replaced

Well, obviosuly not everything was to my satisfaction. To start with the positives, they did an absolutely neat job with the washing this time. But it ends there. About the rattles, it was more of a complaint from their end that it is coz I've had after market fittings (I know some of you might agree but I strongly think otherwise, it's still a pathetic excuse). Brakes seem to have got worse, I don't know whether it's my imagination and I seriously intend to get a friend to check it out, I feel like it's absolutely lost it's bite now. Any pointers on what I should really be looking out for? Wiper blades not replaced, just a note on how it now works properly. Did they even understand my problem, in the first place? The fact that I had to wait there for an extra hour, made me just want to drive the car out as soon as they were done.

Had planned to get my tyres rotated, balanced and aligned outside, so told them to skip that.

Anyway, that's enough of whining ... good part was that the bill (inclusive of tax) came to only 4161 Rs , here's the breakup

Oil filter - 335
Air Cleaner - 231
Coolant - 461
Brake fluid - 241
Gear oil - 707
Engine Oil - 502 (Haven't yet switched to synthetic oil)
Fog light - 48
Brake Bleeding - 100
Consumable - 100
Paid Service - 675
Front Brake Caliper ASY both side R&R - 100
Rear Brake Drum both side R&R - 200

There's something else I don't understand. When I got fog's fitted from the dealer (while taking delivery), I was charged 1950 Rs. Now when they had to replace my right fog lamp, I was charged only 48 Rs, so what was I really paying 1950 for (the cheap switch or the installation or the wiring)?

On the whole ... still enjoying the experience and I've really subjected it to quite some rough terrain, it's never let me down. In short, Am Loving It!

Mods: Can you please edit the thread to read: Swift Diesel (LDi) Ownership review still going strong at 20000 km

Last edited by RufRoc : 4th March 2008 at 17:26.
Old 4th March 2008, 17:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review RufRoc. I can see that your still enjoying the swift as if its just bought. I was just wondering isn't it too early for changing the gear oil, coolant and brake fluid? I mean, is it mandatory you change for a 20K service or was it due to lower levels that you topped it up?
Old 4th March 2008, 17:47   #22
BHPian

Here are a few pics of a spotlessly clean car

That's my friend deepak, insisting on striking a pose for the camera.

Old 4th March 2008, 18:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics !!
Looks like you stay in Koramangala. Why dont you try out Surakshaa MASS for service, they do a pretty good service.
If interested, PM me I will give other details.

Abhi
Old 5th March 2008, 09:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I was just wondering isn't it too early for changing the gear oil, coolant and brake fluid? I mean, is it mandatory you change for a 20K service or was it due to lower levels that you topped it up?
Mobike008, I was under the assumption that these were mandatory changes as part of the 20 K service. I do think levels could have dropped and it was necessary to top up. I'm not very sure of the brake fluid and gear oil but I do check the coolant level every now and then (like before a trip), now when I think of it, I don't remember seeing the level drop but maybe, it's a good thing to change it (again, I'm not sure and I'd hope some expert would throw some light on this, soon )
Old 5th March 2008, 12:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mobike008, I was under the assumption that these were mandatory changes as part of the 20 K service. I do think levels could have dropped and it was necessary to top up. I'm not very sure of the brake fluid and gear oil but I do check the coolant level every now and then (like before a trip), now when I think of it, I don't remember seeing the level drop but maybe, it's a good thing to change it (again, I'm not sure and I'd hope some expert would throw some light on this, soon )
Well, I got my 20K kms service done for my Viva CRDI last week. The service adviser was so honest, he didn't even change the Fuel filter and air filter. Just changed the oil filter and oil, said fuel and air filter are in great condition, cleaned it up thoroughly and he said your good for another 5K.

Initial Estimate given to me was 3.7K and it costed me 2K in the end. Hail Hyundai A.S.S!!!

So imagine now you getting the gear and brake oil changes looks to me as a bit of an overkill at 20K Kms
Old 5th March 2008, 14:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, that's enough of whining ... good part was that the bill (inclusive of tax) came to only 4161 Rs , here's the breakup

Oil filter - 335
Air Cleaner - 231
Coolant - 461
Brake fluid - 241
Gear oil - 707
Engine Oil - 502 (Haven't yet switched to synthetic oil)
Fog light - 48
Brake Bleeding - 100
Consumable - 100
Paid Service - 675
Front Brake Caliper ASY both side R&R - 100
Rear Brake Drum both side R&R - 200
I do not see replacement of Fuel filter which is a key item that needs replacement at 20K service. I presume Clutch fluid has been changed and is included under Brake fluid.
rest looks fine.
Old 5th March 2008, 14:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I do not see replacement of Fuel filter which is a key item that needs replacement at 20K service. I presume Clutch fluid has been changed and is included under Brake fluid.
rest looks fine.
Exactly, It is the most expensive item and without it the bill ran up to 4K is quite over the hill. Even for my 20K service it wasn't changed, just cleaned up as it was good for another 5K kms.

For my car, the fuel filter would have set me back by Rs.1K
Old 7th March 2008, 12:36   #28
BHPian

@DieselFan: I'm not sure why the Fuel Filter wasn't changed. However, I can't find it on the 4th service checklist (on the manual), so was I supposed to ask them to replace it?
Old 14th May 2008, 13:27   #29
BHPian

Some info on Insurance

Well, it being that time of the year again ... been checking out Insurance providers to renew my insurance, due next month. Thought the following info might help someone out there.

Here's the net premium quoted by a few insurers (It's for the Swift LDi with the Initial Sum Insured being 446000)

1) Bajaj Allianz (IDV: 375000 ... Net Premium Rs. 9850)
2) HDFC Insurance (Chubb) (IDV: 380000 ... Net Premium Rs. 10010)
3) Tata AIG (IDV: 379000 ... Net Premium Rs. 9066)

PM if you need contact details for the above agents. Haven't made a claim in the past year so this includes the NCB discount.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=RufRoc;829766] Tata AIG (IDV: 379000 ... Net Premium Rs. 9066)/quote]

This is the best one. Better IDV and lower premium. Hope it includes the third party option too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks