Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 19:11   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel (LDi) Ownership review: 2 years and 53000 km later

Hey Guys,

After following quite a few of the existing ownership reviews on the Swift (in the past few months), I finally decided to add my bit. But firstly, would like to thank guys like Jaggu, Geeksrik, Kuttappan and others who've made other's ownership experiences so much more memorable. And the truth is that Jaggu's ownership review clinched the deal for me, so special thanks there.

Well, booked my white Swift LDi during the second week of May (was put off by the VDi's waiting period of 6 months) and had it delivered on June 14th (which coincidentally, happened to be my birthday). Got it delivered from Bimal, Indiranagar. Didn't really have any problems as such (with the dealers) apart from the fact that I had to make my share of pestering calls from my end, on the delivery date. In fact, was so very impressed with my Sales Agent (a guy named Rajesh) that when I was taking delivery I actually wanted to present him with a bottle of 'booze' as a token of appreciation but then my idea got shot down by a couple of friends.

It's now been 5 months of ownership and after clocking 12000 km's, I've got to say I'm more than pleased with the 'Bumble Bee' (which is what my roomies named it)

Well, about the mod's and ICE setup on the car so far:

1) Shod 185/70/14 Bridgestone Potenza GIII on Prestige 5 spoke alloys.
2) Art Leather seat covers (got them done from AutoShop and I love the design)
3) Pioneer 5950 HU
4) JBL GTO 607c Components (in front)
5) JBL CS 3196 Co-axials in the rear
6) TITONI clock in the dashboard slot for the clock.
7) Philips Rally H4 100/90 halogen bulbs (couldn't source the Philips Xtreme vision bulbs)
8) Roots Spider horns (not satisfied with the current installation, have to get it done again)

Future plans for the car (for later):

Planning to put in a 4 channel amp and eagerly awaiting the GT5 amplifier range.
Also planning to install a Green cotton filter with the dynamissation kit.
The Pete's tuning box is also on the cards but don't have the dough for it, so that's got to wait till maybe the 20 K mark.

About the ownership experience so far:

Engine: The main reason I chose the car and have I been impressed. The torque and the turbo when it goes past 2000 rpm, is something I don't think I'll ever tire of. There has been a little engine clatter but surprisingly I feel it's really gone down after the third service and it feels so much smoother now. (my guess is that it could be coz of the switch to synthetic engine oil)

Build: I've got to say it's one of the negatives of the car especially when it's natural to compare it with other cars around. My friend drives a Ford Ikon 1.6 and maybe thats why I realise what a big difference build quality plays. The doors do close with a solid thud but there are enough rattles inside to make me want to just tell someone else to drive and go searching for the source (in the back seat). I know quite a few members here who have got this fixed, unfortunately I haven't been able to (at my dealer).

Gearbox: Isn't the best that I've driven but I like the short throw on the gear shift. Still don't like the way it upshifts to 2nd gear though, feel like it does take more than the usual effort. Had the problem with slotting it into reverse earlier but either I've got used to it now or the problem's not there anymore.

Performance: This factor really does make me forget all the minor niggles and just enjoy my ride. Have done my share of high speed highway drives and I've always come away with a smile. Have pushed it to 160 km so far but usually stick to a safe 100 - 120 on the highways. Love the fact that I don't have to downshift if I need a sudden burst of power.

Ride & Handling: Love the handling of the car, have taken quite a few turns at around 100 km/hr and that's given me quite some confidence in the handling capability of this car. Have pushed it quite far, trying to understand what the limit would be. Satisfied with the braking too, though I agree it's possible to have the tail step out a wee bit, if braking really hard at high speeds. The ride though is not very comfortable, even though it's supposed to be a stiffer suspension compared to it's Petrol sibling. Pot holes do really make their statement, inside the car.

Mileage: Well, the best I've managed is a 22 km/litre on the highway with the AC on full time. But otherwise, it usually hovers around 19 - 20 which is quite satisfactory. I don't use it a lot within the city but I've checked mileage to be around 15 - 16, again with the AC on 95% of the time.

Overall, it's been 5 months of fun and I just can't wait for weekends. Been on quite a few long distance drives to places such as Pondicherry, Cochin, Coastal Karnataka (Gokarna), couple of times to Mysore, weekend trips to Chennai and I've loved everyone of those drives. Have plans to do a Bangalore - Mumbai too, sometime soon.

The Swift DDiS simply ROCKS !!!
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:23   #2
BHPian

Nice review, just add an amp,pump up the volume asap to drown the rattles; thats what I do.
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there mate

Quote:
Also planning to install a Green cotton filter with the dynamissation kit.
It already has Green Filter, It might not be same as the replacement performance one
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

oh am flattered thank you for the kind words and i see similar passion in your writing also. Do add some pics and keep the updates coming in.

cheers
jaggu
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys. Just trying to figure how to upload pics, right now .

Btw, quick question ... blanking out the Registration Plate (in pics), is that mandatory on the forum or just out of a need for privacy (the member's call)?
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

A very nice report Rufroc.

Quote:
It already has Green Filter, It might not be same as the replacement performance one
The oil filter is green.

Quote:
blanking out the Registration Plate (in pics), is that mandatory on the forum or just out of a need for privacy (the member's call)?
If its your car, its your call.
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Thanks guys. Just trying to figure how to upload pics, right now .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

This could help!
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks for taking my name rufroc! in fact i myself was impressed with jaggus car buying so i bought one, kuttappan perhaps was impressed on both of us and he bought one, the story goes on to have many wonderful swift owners out here! this only means one thing that we endorse the faith in this car and its engine particularly. this will also pave the way for future decision makers with any car having this fantastic mjd 1.3 from fiat!

the rattles, i still dont have a single dealer name in bangalore who is capable of solving them in the first shot, i did find someone referring to i think rns, but not sure. anyone here????

and 12000km! holy cow! what sort of driving you do like that in 4 months!? are your legs made of metal or what?

i do a decent 1200 km a month within city, but i seriously gotta get to this attitude of going out of bangalore a bit regularly. having said that i d like to know from you rufroc how this car performs on really bad and bumpy roads? i feel scared about this bumper business as i ve had a hit or two within city itself and surely on katcha mud roads and bumpy sand duned roads this car would suffer largely, any comments?

next on, can you explain a bit more detailed on the synthetic oil stuff? my service is due at 10k kms and i need to tell them exactly what oil to be used. maybe even jaggu can comment on this.

happy driving and may you be the first blessed one to achieve 25k km here on this forum !!
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

a) RNS does do a good job with rattle if you point it out, but it will come back lol
b) Am not an expert in synth bre since i havent used it in my car yet
c) Off roading yup the front bumpers are an issue, though am quite often forced to do offroad these days with the mess in koramangala. Take it slow and brush touch during service thats the only advice .
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:20   #10
BHPian

A few pics ...

(Before I shod alloys & the Bridgestone's)

(With friends on the Chennai - Bangalore Highway)

(On the way back from Gokarna)

Old 23rd November 2007, 12:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
next on, can you explain a bit more detailed on the synthetic oil stuff?
AFAIK the dealers dont source the synthetic oil, you have to give it to them and they do the needful. I got it done through them.

Quote:
happy driving and may you be the first blessed one to achieve 25k km here on this forum !!
I guess Jaggu might take the 25k honours
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil filter is green.
Thanks for the correction, I remembered reading green filter & thought its the air filter
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

looking good and i dont think ill take the lead to 25k kms
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written report, shows your enthusiasm too

Mine is finally coming !!

I so badly want to go back to Gokarna. I was there last year this time and then again earlier this year!! So peaceful.
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:24   #15
BHPian

@Geeksrik: I've had my share of really bad roads when I drove down to Cochin and then Gokarna last weekend but so far am fortunate to come away with no damage. Have let it into a couple of huge potholes but it stays solid, I mean you don't feel like your steering has been thrown out of your hand, you feel the impact within the cabin but it sits solid. (I hope I'm getting my point across) . Atleast, it's got slightly better clearance than few other cars like the Baleno out there. Could literally see them swerving either side to avoid potholes.

Again, everyone has their own style while driving on bad roads, in time you'll find one that suits you. Talking both in terms of the angle at which you drive into a pothole or drive over a bump and the speed at which it's done.

About the synthetic oil, I've been trying to search for my 3rd service receipt so I can check on that but no luck so far. Give me some time and I'll update you on this.

And about 12000 km in 5 months, it's quite a joke at work and people seriously doubt if I have some kinda taxi service on weekends he! he!

And off topic, please do get out of the city on weekends (I make it a point to go someplace), it's really worth the memories you'll carry back before you hit the next week

@Souljah: Been there in Jan and then again last weekend. It's just the place, when you need time to relax and recoup from our demanding lives. As you said, it can be summed up in a word 'PEACEFUL'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks