Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2007, 10:53   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
all seemed excellent except for the fact that when I cranked it up, the engine would rattle immensely as if a vortex was rising through it ... reminded me of old-age diesels!

he got it serviced recently ... though the rattling has reduced significantly, it still persists ... has anyone experienced a similar thing? what could be the reason?

The likely reasons are that the engine was not set right after an engine rebuild. Mismatching of pistons, rings and crankshaft weights.
The other reason which is more plausible is that one or more orifices leading to the valve actuating hydraulics is partially blocked. Find out if your friend changed the engine oil the last time he took it for service which could be the reason for him noting a slight improvement.
Last but not the least spark plugs; ignition wires not screwed on properly.
If you do not get a throaty extremely addictive rasp when at about 4000 to 4300rpm especially in third gear some setting is not proper. Engine noise could be there but I have not seen a single GTX that has engine vibrations at any rpm other than within normal expectations.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Bye and wear your seat belts
Quiet a similar thing is happening with my palio adventure 1.6 sports. I just got it two months back, and its engine given me a sound of rattling or similar to like a diesel engine, although this noise as much as of a diesel engine, but significantly more then a petrol engine.
I reported the same to service center, and they put some tool to some electronics port in engine and said that everything is fine. He just said that he has cleaned and adjusted the spark plug gaps, and this will do it.
But still the noise is there with same intensity. I am again going to take this to service center, but the thing is again he will put that tool and said that everything is fine.
Can you suggest how to know the exact cause, are there any specific tests for that, or is above a user understanding and only service center guys can do that?

Last edited by hrsraghav : 31st December 2007 at 10:54. Reason: quote was done in a wrong way
Old 6th January 2008, 16:01   #77
BHPian

Hey guys I have just found out that the spare wheel in my Palio Stile 1.6 is a normal one but not a Alloy Wheel. Is it that a normal wheel is supplied as spare instead of Alloy Wheel. I just wanted to confirm on this before I call up the dealer.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Hey guys I have just found out that the spare wheel in my Palio Stile 1.6 is a normal one but not a Alloy Wheel. Is it that a normal wheel is supplied as spare instead of Alloy Wheel. I just wanted to confirm on this before I call up the dealer.
It's normal. Don't worry.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:10   #79
Team-BHP Support

Just make sure it is of the same size as the other 4. By rule it should be of the same size.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
This is normal. Done for cost cutting . However, with tubeless tyres you will very rarely have a flat. And even if you do, you will put the spare back in the boot the moment you get the flat fixed, as it has a rim and the others are alloys. You will not use it when you rotate tyres for the same reason. So, when it is time to change your tyres, after they are worn out you will look at the spare and think "Hey that is hardly used and is almost new. So I will just get 4 and leave the spare as it is".

One point that is usually overlooked is that rubber ages - whether you use it or not. So your spare, if not replaced along with the rest will essentially be useless and unsafe due to age - it would have developed minute cracks - and will give up when you most need it.

The best option is to include it in the rotation - eventhough in your case it means removing it from the rim and mounting it on one of the alloys- to ensure that you use all the five tyres equally. When it is time to replace get a set of five.

The only reason I chose to get 5 alloys and 5 upsized tyres for my Palio Stile SLX.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 6th January 2008, 21:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's normal. Don't worry.

Phewwww Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 6th January 2008, 21:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just make sure it is of the same size as the other 4. By rule it should be of the same size.
I need to check that. Will get back incase it not the same size.
Old 6th January 2008, 21:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
This is normal. Done for cost cutting . However, with tubeless tyres you will very rarely have a flat. And even if you do, you will put the spare back in the boot the moment you get the flat fixed, as it has a rim and the others are alloys. You will not use it when you rotate tyres for the same reason. So, when it is time to change your tyres, after they are worn out you will look at the spare and think "Hey that is hardly used and is almost new. So I will just get 4 and leave the spare as it is".

One point that is usually overlooked is that rubber ages - whether you use it or not. So your spare, if not replaced along with the rest will essentially be useless and unsafe due to age - it would have developed minute cracks - and will give up when you most need it.

The best option is to include it in the rotation - eventhough in your case it means removing it from the rim and mounting it on one of the alloys- to ensure that you use all the five tyres equally. When it is time to replace get a set of five.

The only reason I chose to get 5 alloys and 5 upsized tyres for my Palio Stile SLX.

Cheers,
Rajan
Thats great piece of information and advice. Thanks a ton. Will do that.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been pretty bad day for me and my car yesterday. For first time my got scratches and a dent

First one happend at Pared grounds I was trying to park the car at a better place and my judgement went wrong and this one happend.

Result
1. few scratches on Left Front Wheel arch

2. A small dent on Left front door. Tough the door is working properly. The black strip(dont know what its called) came off but I managed to put it back but am not sure how long it will stick there. Still can see the gap between the door and the strip.

3. Couple of scratches on edges of left door.

2nd incident happend while I was taking a U turn at Tirumalgiri wrong judgement and i managed to bruise my cars front bumper. This one is not visible unless we lie down.

Oh!!!!! Thats so bad. Especially on the RED car. Was all this as part of your parking effort

I guess we are all having bad times. I also managed a few "thuds" on my adventure. First i managed to kiss a post with my side foot steps while taking my car out of a parking lot. Second i managed to let my rear end be kissed by a protruding wall. Luckily the damages are not noticeable. Thanks to FIAT. The Wall thing was quite good. Everyone around were amazed to see that nothing noticeable happened to the car. Probably one of them might think of a FIAT when planning for a car.
Old 6th January 2008, 23:45   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
This is normal. Done for cost cutting . Rajan
I don't think it is for cost cutting. Since most of the european cars come with the steel spare wheel (even benz cars too). Intention is to get it repaired fast to save from that ugly look (3-wheels with alloy and one in black.. happened to me twice).
Old 7th January 2008, 00:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
I don't think it is for cost cutting. Since most of the european cars come with the steel spare wheel (even benz cars too). Intention is to get it repaired fast to save from that ugly look (3-wheels with alloy and one in black.. happened to me twice).
Well MUL gave us the same thing on the Swift ZXi and later called back the cars and gave them the 5th tire + alloy.
Old 7th January 2008, 07:17   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Well MUL gave us the same thing on the Swift ZXi and later called back the cars and gave them the 5th tire + alloy.
MUL provided spare tyre of different spec than those of 4-tyres. Thats why they recalled it.
Old 17th February 2008, 09:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Any F.E Updates after first service?
Old 17th February 2008, 13:34   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Any F.E Updates after first service?
Have updated those figures in other thread however here we go again.

In city Traffic conditions: 9 to 11 depending with and without AC on

On highways(I have been to Nagpur NH7): 15 to 16 with and without AC on :d
Old 17th February 2008, 16:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

The FE finds to be less, some of my friends are getting better FE in city around 11 & 13 with & without AC

Most Viewed