Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 11:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Okay, on just 4th day of driving a single room flat around. Heres my experiences,

First gear - Too far off, have to extend your arms fully and then sometimes it doesnt slot properly, once I even had the gears teething each other....krrrrrrrrr.

ICE location - Once I had to push my masters hand away (not a good thing) in order to make way for the first gear while she was trying to operate the buttons. It doesnt matter on the other gears though, they keep distance.

Clutch Operation - If you rev high(above 2k RPM) and then press clutch and change gears, you get a feeling as if something in the clutch assembly is grinding each other with some noise and vibration in the clutch, mostly on 1 & 2 gears. Clutch is soft and easy to operate otherwise.

Instrument Panel/Speedometer - The angle of the panel is not appropriate to keep an eye on while driving and some indicators get blocked by the steering wheel.

Driving around - The time taken for me to travel between office has not increased or decreased, although you have to be more careful since its a big mass and can't shift lanes like in your small cars.

I am also developing a habit of looking at the L-ORVM, as it was not required in my previous drive.

Reversing is a problem as you have no visibility of even a 2 wheeler standing behind due to the height of the Safari. Plan to get a reverse camera later.

The middle seat headrest also block Left side view while reversing, I have raised them but need to decide if removal is a better option.

Some findings/ Questions

- The Kerb weight of the Safari is as per ISO:1176

- Turbo whistle can be heard if you drive with open windows

- The wheel size scares you for the effort involved in changing it after puncture. Plan to buy a portable pump using 12v CL point, atleast you can reach the nearest puncture shop with its help.

- What is the ambient temperature setting in the Speedometer LCD used for ??

- Is there a way to program the Remote Locking security system to lock on vehicle movement and not after 5 sec of engine start ??

Last edited by dadu : 30th November 2007 at 11:09.
Old 30th November 2007, 12:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

My comments/ answers are in bold italics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Okay, on just 4th day of driving a single room flat around. Heres my experiences,

First gear - Too far off, have to extend your arms fully and then sometimes it doesnt slot properly, once I even had the gears teething each other....krrrrrrrrr.
Never had the problem with the 1st gear being far off. But yes sometimes the 1st gears does not engage as smoothly as one would expect it to be but I can live with it.

ICE location - Once I had to push my masters hand away (not a good thing) in order to make way for the first gear while she was trying to operate the buttons. It doesnt matter on the other gears though, they keep distance.
Yeah this is definitely an issue espically when driving is start-stop traffic and you have to frequently change the gears while the other persons wants to operate the head unit

Clutch Operation - If you rev high(above 2k RPM) and then press clutch and change gears, you get a feeling as if something in the clutch assembly is grinding each other with some noise and vibration in the clutch, mostly on 1 & 2 gears. Clutch is soft and easy to operate otherwise.
Not an issue in my BEAR

Instrument Panel/Speedometer - The angle of the panel is not appropriate to keep an eye on while driving and some indicators get blocked by the steering wheel.
I can see the instrument cluster clearly. Maybe you should check the setting of the seat hight adjuster or alternatively the steering wheel can also be raised up or down

I am also developing a habit of looking at the L-ORVM, as it was not required in my previous drive.
I have this terrible problem that i cannot drive without the L/R ORVM whether in any car. Further I find it rather impossible to reverse the BEAR without the ORVM's

Reversing is a problem as you have no visibility of even a 2 wheeler standing behind due to the height of the Safari. Plan to get a reverse camera later.
Definitely a must add on

The middle seat headrest also block Left side view while reversing, I have raised them but need to decide if removal is a better option.
I would advise against it as the head rests serve as a shock absorber to the head in case of an impact and are really useful

Some findings/ Questions

- The wheel size scares you for the effort involved in changing it after puncture. Plan to buy a portable pump using 12v CL point, atleast you can reach the nearest puncture shop with its help.
I owned a Maruti Gypsy previously and have some hands on experience on changing big tires. And agree that its a bit difficult

I think its for the outside temperature

Old 30th November 2007, 13:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dadu,
Good choice of color!! I have an arctic Silver 4x2 EX too! Got it from Concorde Motors - 7th Nov, 1010 kms to date....

Agree... the remote's a help. plan to buy a iPod adapter, and a steering remote from blaupunkt, if one's available.

The engine settles down after a bit of running ( or u get used to it!! ), but i find it very smooth and the noise ( even cold start ) much less after the 1k mark.

A silly thought, but you may want to experiment with the seat height, and backrest angle to give you a more comfortable driving position.

Driving around - The time taken for me to travel between office has not increased or decreased, although you have to be more careful since its a big mass and can't shift lanes like in your small cars.

The positive side is that Autos *do* stop for the safari, if you give the accelerator a 'toot'....

Same here! those two wheelers are a pain otherwise. On the lighter side, I get some fun in scaring them and the car wallahs, once in a while when they come too close.

Tata should offer this standard on the safari.

I push the orvms out as much as possible showing just the edge of the car in the mirror, and use them primarily for reversing. The rear view mirror, I use to gauge the distance between the car and the other objects. The camera is a big advantage.

Some findings/ Questions

- The Kerb weight of the Safari is as per ISO:1176

I find it settles down after some running in.

Do let me know if such a jack is available somewhere in Blr.

- Is there a way to program the Remote Locking security system to lock on vehicle movement and not after 5 sec of engine start ??[/quote]
Old 30th November 2007, 13:11   #34
BHPian

Thanks Dadu.

Also please post us on the fuel consumption. In some of the threads, if I remember, they quoted as:

Govt vendors - 10.5-11
Shell - 12
Reliance - 13

Not sure if this is true again.
Old 30th November 2007, 13:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Agree... the remote's a help. plan to buy a iPod adapter, and a steering remote from blaupunkt, if one's available.
I read the manual you can also add a CD changer to it.

Quote:
The engine settles down after a bit of running ( or u get used to it!! ), but i find it very smooth and the noise ( even cold start ) much less after the 1k mark.
It comes when the RPM is settling down (if you go above 2k mark in 1st gear) between the gear change to 2nd, clutch depressed.

Will wait for first service (1-1.5k). If it increases, I will get it checked, perhaps its a clutch adjustment issue.

Quote:
A silly thought, but you may want to experiment with the seat height, and backrest angle to give you a more comfortable driving position.
Yeah! perhaps I am sitting too high, need to experiment.

Quote:
I push the orvms out as much as possible showing just the edge of the car in the mirror, and use them primarily for reversing. The rear view mirror, I use to gauge the distance between the car and the other objects.
Let me try this too.

Quote:

I find it settles down after some running in.
I wasnt complaining, I like it anyways.

Quote:

Do let me know if such a jack is available somewhere in Blr.
I was planning to use a inflator pump to keep the tubeless going, i also found a hydraulic jack, as you quoted but it was limited to 2 ton, safari is more than that.
Old 30th November 2007, 13:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

M3, I dont do mileage calcs before first service/tuning, it doesnt help.

I let the engine settle down, true mileage starts showing after 4-5k run only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Thanks Dadu.

Also please post us on the fuel consumption. In some of the threads, if I remember, they quoted as:

Govt vendors - 10.5-11
Shell - 12
Reliance - 13

Old 30th November 2007, 15:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Thanks Dadu.

Govt vendors - 10.5-11
Shell - 12
Reliance - 13

Mine is at 2K now. FE is at 11.25 in city and about 15 on Highway.(both with AC) Normal Diesel. This is before touching 2K. I got my service done at 2K. Waiting for the diesel to bottom so that I can fill Turbojet, I am going back to Turbojet as some of the T-Bhp members advised it is safe to use Premium diesel instead of Normal+additives (System D). So finally shall top it with Premium in a day or 2.

The engine noise is less and the engine shows signs of settling. Hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd has improved/broadened and is much smoother now. Though I feel both the gear ranges are too close at least by 5-10km/hr.

I did not take the HULK above 100km/hr in my recent 1K travel. Shall now do it as the service has been done. Just 20 Days and I covered 2K Kms. Never in my life have I traveled so much in such less time.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, probably thats the reason for the cluttering sound in the clutch, 1st and 2nd gear ranges are too narrow and you need to shift too quickly from 1st to 2nd. Probably they improve with time and service tunings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
The engine noise is less and the engine shows signs of settling. Hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd has improved/broadened and is much smoother now. Though I feel both the gear ranges are too close at least by 5-10km/hr.

Last edited by dadu : 30th November 2007 at 15:54.
Old 1st December 2007, 00:09   #39
BHPian

Hey guys.. true with your facts..
My safari 2.2 travelled 2200 kms...
ICE Position is a big problem though now i have a ipod adapter ..
Mileage as on now is 11.56 highway + City without AC mostly above 110Kms/hr
clutch is a big problem with gear 1st.. it takes time to settle down for sure..
Driving around is fun .. everyone stops..
There are so many noises with this car.. Back door sounds...clutch makes noises....brakes screeches....got my first service done. still all noises are there.. wonder what is TATA upto..
Old 1st December 2007, 00:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dadu! Its must be a long time coming and a wonderful feeling at that!
Old 1st December 2007, 09:24   #41
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Have driven the beast to 2200kms and have found issues with certain squeeking noices whcih i finally figured and corrected. The 1st gear thiing is an issue too, I guess the ratio is too low...but put it into 2nd and it zoomz off man. at red lights i have seen people actually staring that a safari could do thatcheers:

I am loving the drive till now, and hope to enjoy it, body roll wise..i went upto 150KM and did a slight left and right cut and it did handle pretty well.

Suspension is awesome. It is so much better that the 3.0.

I hate the plastic buttons safari puts and they drop off and then i went to them during the 1st service due at 1500km and they were like, Sir Tata changed the interiors from black to beige, we can give you the grey ones.

Another BIG issue was that i got a call from tata motors as i bought the car the next day it was out, so it was from the first Lot. They told me that the cars which were from the first lot had to Retro-fitted with the Power Steering Pipe or Turbo Pipe and the starter from Bosch had to be removed and then sent to bosch for changing certain parts in the starter, So I went to Sanya Motors in Okhla as I knew the Owner and sat there from 8am till 8pm.

Will keep updating, I got my ICE changed got two Alpine R-Series components a oval Alpine pair at the back and a kicker bass tube at the back and a Alpine CDA-9887 System and it rocks.

Will post some picks soon.

Another advise guys, if anyone wants to get the front and the back Bull Gaurds fitted, Please PM or you will be slauthered in Karol bagh. And the Xenons HIDS kits, there are a lot of chinese Xenons coming the market which are ****. The Siemens and the Bosch ones i found quite good.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I want to ask you and other Safari/SUV owners something, did your wives agree easily for a SUV?
No objections. But that could be because I didnt ask I just brought it home.
Old 1st December 2007, 12:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not all are lucky as you, but you need patience, i start showing the "Beast to my wife 3-4 months before i told her i want to buy her, by that time she has digested its size and looks
Old 1st December 2007, 12:07   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
.. i start showing the "Beast to my wife 3-4 months before i told her i want to buy her, by that time she has digested its size and looks
Probably, she just made you believe that .. We guys cant hide our feelings about the ones we love , and the wives would easily make out what you've been upto ..
Old 1st December 2007, 12:10   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
, isnt that exactly what we men do which drives our wives nuts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks