Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 10:41   #121
BHPian

Yes I like doing it myself. I do not remember the "spanner No". I have a complete rachet-socket set (amongst others) . I think it was a 12-13 or 14 A/F size bolt.
By engine cover - I mean the bottom guard (which is a sort of cardboard)

Not to be seen as singing my praise - I had changed the alternator and the power steeing pump on my earlier Sierra myself.
Yes doing it yourself or being present when the mechanics do it does give you a better insight in-to the mechanics of the car.

I am now in search for the Service manual for the 2.2. I understand that TM have still not printed the same - can somebody reconfirm ?
Old 14th January 2008, 12:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

Me too, the splash guard is made of 2mm thick metal plate and not cardboard

Can you please recheck and confirm, I will buy a ring spanner for the same (I need to know the exact number).

There are two of them, one which covers the engine from below and the other extends till under the end of front seat.

Do you need to remove both ?? as a common set of bolts holds them in the center ?? or are they the sliding type, loosen the bolt and a bit and slide them out from the central holding nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Yes I like doing it myself. I do not remember the "spanner No". I have a complete rachet-socket set (amongst others) . I think it was a 12-13 or 14 A/F size bolt.
By engine cover - I mean the bottom guard (which is a sort of cardboard)

Quote:
Yes doing it yourself or being present when the mechanics do it does give you a better insight in-to the mechanics of the car.
Let me know if you can find one, I need one too.

I searched for now, but couldnt find it.

Quote:
I am now in search for the Service manual for the 2.2. I understand that TM have still not printed the same - can somebody reconfirm ?

Last edited by dadu : 14th January 2008 at 12:32.
Old 14th January 2008, 13:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Me too, the splash guard is made of 2mm thick metal plate and not cardboard
-----------------------------------------------------
There are 2 guards(actually there are three - if you consider the guard below the radiator - I have analysed how to remove it)
1. The 1st one below the engine / Engine oil sump. - This is made of cardboard type of material with sides and middle reinforced with PE / PU foam. This reinforcement gives it stability and ensures - amongst other things, that it does not flutter due to air pushed from below the car . ( I would liked it to be of metal because engine washes wit water / kerosene over a period of time will degenerate this guard. and TM being what is is does not have this in spares - This is similar to 3L Dicor also - hence spares position is confirmed).
2. The 2nd is below the gearbox and is of metal. I have not opened this one even for the under-body coating - so do not know the bolt sizes. You have to go under from the sides to reach this area quickly.

I have taken off only the 1st cover (cardboard one). It is by 8 bolts(or is it 7 ??) - 4 in the back and 4 (+ve about this 4) in the front. I will inform the A/F size tomorrow. (Will go under today evening)
This cover once removed gives access to the torsion bar suspension, steering linkages, the oil sump etc.

The service station manual is in its 1st draft in TM. Do not know when the same will be finalised and printed.
Old 14th January 2008, 13:44   #124
BHPian

Erratum:
Please read the 1st line as:
There are 2 guards(actually there are three - if you consider the guard below the radiator - I have NOT analysed how to remove it).

I forgot the all important word "NOT".
Old 15th January 2008, 08:43   #125
BHPian

Dadu:
The spanner size is 13. There are 8 bolts which you must remove to remove the cover.
Old 15th January 2008, 20:00   #126
Senior - BHPian

I collected my RC book but realised that a print number "1" was missing inbetween, from the chasis number, which has been corrected by adding it manually by black pen, amongst the computer printed chasis number.

Will go back the dealer and clarify, if its the RTO who did that and is this normal. The RTO has used a DMP for the print. Stamp and sign are only at the bottom of the page.

Other bangaloreans, is it common for the RTO to correct like this in the RC book.

Last edited by dadu : 15th January 2008 at 20:03.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:37   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Other bangaloreans, is it common for the RTO to correct like this in the RC book.

no way... is there any kind of sign or seal on top of that correction - the kind of one where one does to validate a correction. but AFAIK, editing a document makes it invalid!

please do check. not something that you want to put off till a need arises. do sort it out / or get it validated from the RTO asap.
Old 16th January 2008, 09:02   #128
BHPian

RTO-Pune have started issue of "Smart-Card"s in place of RC / TC book. I have checked out the Chassis nos on this card with that written on the owner's manual (on the inside of the cover page where the dealer writes down the details of the owner and the car details). The Chassis no. is correct (Thank God!)

However the RTO has made a mistake on the CC of the car. they have written the CC same as that of the 3L Dicor. All the Smart cards of other 2.2 dicors also have the same mistake. However they have given the description of the car as 2.2 VTT Dicor. The dealer says - forget it - will not be a problem.

I ask other 2.2 owners from Pune to check and confirm from their Smart cards.
Old 16th January 2008, 09:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I collected my RC book but realised that a print number "1" was missing inbetween, from the chasis number, which has been corrected by adding it manually by black pen, amongst the computer printed chasis number.
Do not take a chance, get a fresh copy, you will have trouble later. I remember the Haryana RTO had made a mistake with my Fiesta RC, the dealer sent it right back & applied for a fresh one. There was a delay but at least I had the correct document.

You will have problems selling the vehicle, not to mention occasional harrassment if you are ever stopped on the roads by the cops.
Old 16th January 2008, 10:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

@dadu

not seen something like that still today, better to get it changed now rather fighting it later.
Old 16th January 2008, 18:09   #131
BHPian

Hi....need help...i'm getting the seat covers made for the safari...incidentally, i am unable to find the right design for the "map pocket" on the rear of front seats. Can you friends help me with any pics...the pockets need to be exclusive.
Old 17th January 2008, 09:36   #132
Senior - BHPian

It should be easily done, did you check with g-sport ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Hi....need help...i'm getting the seat covers made for the safari...incidentally, i am unable to find the right design for the "map pocket" on the rear of front seats. Can you friends help me with any pics...the pockets need to be exclusive.
Thanks Happy, kingshuk, Suman and gowda.

I gave the RC back to dealer, will now take 2 days to manually put the correct chasis number and then endorse it with a RTO seal and sign. The RTO's computerized record will also be corrected.

Kingshuk, you should get the "cc" corrected as it might pose a problem later, you dont want to sell a 2.2l as a 3.0l later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
not seen something like that still today, better to get it changed now rather fighting it later.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th January 2011 at 00:57. Reason: Housekeeping. Merged old back to back posts.
Old 17th January 2008, 14:33   #133
BHPian

Dadu, You are right. the best thing would be to give it back to the RTO and ask them to correct. I was disturbed when I recd the Card. I spend athe better part of 30 minutes going thro other 2.2L Dicors cards (which the owners had not yet collected) to recheck.

I will ask the guys at the Pune meet tomorrow (incase somebody with a 2.2 turns up) as to what is printed on their card.

Going to RTO with a correction is something none of us want to do
Old 18th January 2008, 09:28   #134
BHPian

as long as there is an rto seal next to the manual correction on the rc book, there will not be any problem. in my case, the rto guys had misspelled my name itself, got it corrected through the dealer, white ink and a seal next to the correction with date and signature.
sold the car recently, no trouble at all, even agents who had come to take a look at the car didn't have any issues with that.
Old 19th January 2008, 12:40   #135
Senior - BHPian

Got PM'ed for posting interior pictures of safari, so here they are:

Interior View from the back

Dash from Middle seat

Closer view of dash and center A/C vents

Middle seat center handrest/console

Side view driver seat

Mind you, these are fabric seat covers.

Most Viewed