Team-BHP - Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/32529-beauty-beast-skoda-octavia-rs-57000-km-review-14.html)

Great thread ajmat.

So does this Octavia maintenance bible come to an end here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_U_N (Post 2819516)
Great thread ajmat.

So does this Octavia maintenance bible come to an end here?

Logically yes, since the new owner is not a BHP'ian and is not really a car guy!

Congrats Ajmat! Wish you many miles of troublefree motoring with the VW Jetta.

All will miss your DIY lessons!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2819296)
You can find the spreadsheet attached

Attachment 946606

You almost seem to have had something or the other every 2000 km. So this cannot be termed as a very reliable car no matter how enjoyable it is. Though used, you bought this at near 15000 km with all service history from A S S . So something failing or not working as per satisfaction every 2000 km is not something one would want to live with.

So many things you have done as self (or non A S S). For someone without being very technically inclined, the figure would have touched near 375k ish which translates to near 90k in maintenance per year, which is not reasonable at all.

Again, this is considering that your car was not an abused piece. For a not so well-maintained RS, a 4-year maintenance figure would be more than the car cost if one would want to maintain it well enough to retain its driving pleasure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 2870283)
You almost seem to have had something or the other every 2000 km. So this cannot be termed as a very reliable car no matter how enjoyable it is. Though used, you bought this at near 15000 km with all service history from A S S . So something failing or not working as per satisfaction every 2000 km is not something one would want to live with.

So many things you have done as self (or non A S S). For someone without being very technically inclined, the figure would have touched near 375k ish which translates to near 90k in maintenance per year, which is not reasonable at all.

Again, this is considering that your car was not an abused piece. For a not so well-maintained RS, a 4-year maintenance figure would be more than the car cost if one would want to maintain it well enough to retain its driving pleasure.

Dipen, that is a very good observation. I think since I got used to sorting stuff out, it became routine. After using a new car, I seem to have significantly more time on my hands.

Just to correct you, I suspect my car was not very well maintained under its first owner beyond basic servicing. I think your estimated cost would be even higher since dealers tend to "misdiagnose" things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2870373)
Just to correct you, I suspect my car was not very well maintained under its first owner beyond basic servicing. I think your estimated cost would be even higher since dealers tend to "misdiagnose" things.

Thank you acknowledging the details. The idea was to give everyone an idea that a seeming lucrative buy (used RS prices) may not always be lucrative.

Also, one should not expect a 15000 odd run car to have any major maintenance done (or required) other than basic servicing at the A S S. This is using Japanese and Korean reliability as comparison.

I considered 375 ish with little fear that I may get beaten for over-estimating things or throwing numbers without owning one.

In today's time, Cedia is the only car at-least on team-bhp which has not had any major component failure in long term ownership apart from expected wear and tear. Civics have also reported some niggles like engine mounts and similar though overall a reliable car to own.

No matter how good the car drives, handles - if it does provide a peaceful ownership, it is no good. The same logic applies to everything from a 4 lakh Santro to a 4 crore Ferrari.

Keeping all the crib aside, the RS still had happy memories. Cheers !!
Wish you happier roads with the VW !!

Last night went thru the whole thread in one go and my knowledge about the Octy 1.8T engine went from Level 0 to Level 6. Also hats off to your perseverance to keep getting things rectified. I once lived thru the same experience with my FIAT UNO and I know that lingering feeling at the back of the mind when you expect the worst at every moment. But I guess the experience was worth the pain and I hope you are enjoying the bliss with your Jetta!

An FYI, the car is up for sale again

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Octavia.html/

Not sure about the gynacological appearance of the interiors.

Note, I sold it for Rs 4.25L, 5 years ago, seller is asking Rs 4.5L!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4135899)
An FYI, the car is up for sale again

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Octavia.html/

Not sure about the gynacological appearance of the interiors.

Note, I sold it for Rs 4.25L, 5 years ago, seller is asking Rs 4.5L!!!

Besides, he has mentioned he is the second owner. Shouldn't he be the third?