Team-BHP - Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/32529-beauty-beast-skoda-octavia-rs-57000-km-review-6.html)

Ouch! 21K for a service wth water pump change. Man that's steep. The Lancer has got a max bill of 14K for service in it's 80K kms which involved AC gas, engine mounts, wheel bearings and drive shaft replacement at 60K kms.

As you said the feel of the german car makes you forget all that. But the Japs are now coming close to that feeling as well. The Accord shows that.

As discussed, if this is a continuing trend then I will look at a Honda agian next time around

going back to the water pump - the plastic impellor split. Although held together in the hosuing, the circulation presure weakens. What is a disaster is when the plastic beaks up into little bits and lodges in the water jacket

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1110228)
As discussed, if this is a continuing trend then I will look at a Honda agian next time around

going back to the water pump - the plastic impellor split. Although held together in the hosuing, the circulation presure weakens. What is a disaster is when the plastic beaks up into little bits and lodges in the water jacket

And here is the water pump and pieces. I made sure all the bits were accounted for ~

Beauty of the Beast  Skoda Octavia RS  - 57000 km review-water-pump.jpg

Dont they have any other option with a metal impeller? Any swap from VW stable?

cost of oil cooler for RS :Rs 9000/-
cost of lh headlight assembly:RS 36000/-
cost of xenon bulb for the same : 9000/-

is it "RS" or Rs(rupees)?,LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor4077 (Post 1110192)
Oh boy. Just when I had almost convinced myself to upgrade to a vRS.
:(

Really, shouldnt think of doing that in Kolkata!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1110619)
Dont they have any other option with a metal impeller? Any swap from VW stable?

They do not - tried other sources. Some versions withmetal impellors available but rare and expensive. Issue with metal impellors - more engine drag and creates internal cavitation - Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave

Hmmmm. the Elantra crdi seems to make soooooooooo much more sense now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuav (Post 1110677)
Hmmmm. the Elantra crdi seems to make soooooooooo much more sense now :)

hey prabhu , both these cars are out of production , so there might be a day when elantra spares may become rare and expensive ,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1110637)
Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave

:Shockked: suddenly am in love with old engines! god knows what sort of impellor resides in my car (water pump), hopefully good ol metal since its a farm engine :D

But is this inertial cavitation big possibility in a pressurized closed loop engine cooling system? Under normal conditions?

wiki says it this happens on the blades of the pump, so doesn that mean this is the reason why the plastic blades are also failing, wont metals be better of in this aspect.

Cavitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Pumps and propellers

Major places where cavitation occurs are in pumps, on propellers, or at restrictions in a flowing liquid.
As an impeller's (in a pump) or propeller's (as in the case of a ship or submarine) blades move through a fluid, low-pressure areas are formed as the fluid accelerates around and moves past the blades. The faster the blades move, the lower the pressure around it can become. As it reaches vapor pressure, the fluid vaporizes and forms small bubbles of gas. This is cavitation. When the bubbles collapse later, they typically cause very strong local shock waves in the fluid, which may be audible and may even damage the blades.

Cavitation in pumps may occur in two different forms:

Suction cavitation
Suction cavitation occurs when the pump suction is under a low-pressure/high-vacuum condition where the liquid turns into a vapor at the eye of the pump impeller. This vapor is carried over to the discharge side of the pump, where it no longer sees vacuum and is compressed back into a liquid by the discharge pressure. This imploding action occurs violently and attacks the face of the impeller. An impeller that has been operating under a suction cavitation condition can have large chunks of material removed from its face or very small bits of material removed, causing the impeller to look spongelike. Both cases will cause premature failure of the pump, often due to bearing failure. Suction cavitation is often identified by a sound like gravel or marbles in the pump casing.

Discharge cavitation:
Discharge cavitation occurs when the pump discharge pressure is extremely high, normally occurring in a pump that is running at less than 10% of its best efficiency point. The high discharge pressure causes the majority of the fluid to circulate inside the pump instead of being allowed to flow out the discharge. As the liquid flows around the impeller, it must pass through the small clearance between the impeller and the pump housing at extremely high velocity. This velocity causes a vacuum to develop at the housing wall (similar to what occurs in a venturi), which turns the liquid into a vapor. A pump that has been operating under these conditions shows premature wear of the impeller vane tips and the pump housing. In addition, due to the high pressure conditions, premature failure of the pump's mechanical seal and bearings can be expected. Under extreme conditions, this can break the impeller shaft.
Discharge cavitation is believed to be the cause of the cracking of joints.

Cavitation in engines

Some bigger diesel engines suffer from cavitation due to high compression and undersized cylinder walls. Vibrations of the cylinder wall induce alternating low and high pressure in the coolant against the cylinder wall. The result is pitting of the cylinder wall, which will eventually let cooling fluid leak into the cylinder and combustion gases to leak into the coolant.
It is possible to prevent this from happening with the use of chemical additives in the cooling fluid that form a protective layer on the cylinder wall. This layer will be exposed to the same cavitation, but rebuilds itself.

i'm so scared after seeing these expenses and to top it all skoda service is pathetic to say the least.
Are there any aftermarket service centers which can handle cars like skoda??

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1110736)
hey prabhu , both these cars are out of production , so there might be a day when elantra spares may become rare and expensive ,

Only difference being that Hyundai gets parts from Korea - and since the same engine is sold in 5 cars in India, I dont believe it will be that big an issue. having said that , engine parts are bound to be expensive in the diesel, but I am betting on the fact that they are built to last a lot longer.

Vijay

@ashish: i dont think you need to be worried too much, apart from part failure which yes i would be concerned, the service bill seemed to be pretty ok. The bill from a reputed dealer service center on any mid segment car will run to 5-10k for a major service in a metro like bangalore.

Yes if you can find a good workshop and have time and energy to hunt around for parts and consumables you definitely can service the car outside the dealership circle. A diagnostic software and equipment will definitely add value since these cars are virtually impossible to work otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuav (Post 1110958)
Only difference being that Hyundai gets parts from Korea - and since the same engine is sold in 5 cars in India, I dont believe it will be that big an issue. having said that , engine parts are bound to be expensive in the diesel, but I am betting on the fact that they are built to last a lot longer.

Vijay

yes i know ,, just trying to make you elantra owners less complacent , just trying!

Hey ashish, i will update you with one.
Harsh87 told it to me.
Havent gone there but as per harsh's tellings, hes pretty good.