Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:26   #61
Team-BHP Support

His signature says it all.
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I meant wrt reliability. If I recall, he had no issues with the Vtec, including through track days, with the exception of an aftermarket FPR going bust.
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:56   #63
Team-BHP Support

At this point it's a fuse and small motor issue. One needs to see if it's a standard problem across the board. Which I doubt here. Also I won't discard the possibility of moisture as a key reason. This car is from Bombay as we all know. It's worth checking out some Bangalore cars before come to some conclusion.
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:22   #64
BHPian

Yes, Ajit’s signature will say it… but what every modification goes on this old VTEC he would be the first to know it. I might have hardly driven my car 1,500 Kms, I love each kms spent on her. Have panned some good thing for her and will be added to VTEC in coming days.
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:31   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Actually, I meant wrt reliability. If I recall, he had no issues with the Vtec, including through track days, with the exception of an aftermarket FPR going bust.
Yes, the Vtec was faultless, I remember doing 20+ laps continuously in the evening and it never missed a beat. Am a bit surprised about the Skoda moisture issue. Luckily Briskoda is around to help me out. Another aspect is that the car is easy to work on - engine bay excepted.
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:02   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Push up the luggage shelf, lever it out. Prise open the access lid, and click the orange lever and headbutt the hatch open. They think of every contingency!

The motor is moulded in but the geared rack came out. I merely looked at it, put it in and twirled the motor which looked clean. Everything worked.

Snapped it together. Went back to the car and connected and "phatak". the motor turned and the rack moved.
Ajmat can you post a photo of the location of the orange lever?

If the gear moved after you put it back in what was wrong in the first place. Is the plastic gear cracked at some location?

Quote:
Get the car home stopping before the needle goes beyond 90.
the temp needle in my car goes to 90 pretty quick. It does not go beyond that but 90 deg. is reached in minutes if not seconds. should i check anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This car is from Bombay as we all know. It's worth checking out some Bangalore cars before come to some conclusion.
After all that Ajmat has gone though I wonder if I should turn my car over to Autobahn for a full check up. Will they comply? Will they do a honest job?

Anyone have an idea as to which Mumbai Skoda dealer is best trusted?

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd September 2008 at 09:36.
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:43   #67
Team-BHP Support

I think the issue is the fact that the car was not used much except for the battery fuse issue. My temp also goes to 90 and stays there even when gunning the engine up a ghat road.

Monkey and I were discussing your car, it is used normally and never meddled with and you have no problems, why let a dealer introduce issues into it.

In photo below, you will see the orange lever in situ, you need to prise a small panel off to access it,....if only Viddy knew!

Beauty of the Beast  Skoda Octavia RS  - 57000 km review-dsc00013.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd September 2008 at 10:17.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:23   #68
Team-BHP Support

Boot lock repaired (please see thread on grey market spares!)

Mr, sorry Dr Mallya offered me a bubbly in front of UB city - he created another pothole which meant a bubbled tyre. Replaced with a set of Yoko S-drives - same size. Power traction has improved and car is well under controlled. No vast improvement compared to the Honda but an improvement all the same.

Just finished a 1500 km round trip to Kerala. the boot is amazing - the mother of a sub, golf clubs, one strolley, one large suitcase, various softbags and the expanded tool kit. Car took the bad roads without a problem except for the front grounding.

Beyond Krishnagiri, I was not pushing it but having that reserve of power was great when overtaking. The hill roads in Munnar were gobbled but sudden oncoming traffic meant caution. However, a night drive in the hills saw the car at its best, you have detect oncoming traffic due to the lights at least!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2008 at 11:02. Reason: Changed 'book' to 'boot'
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 15:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Boot lock repaired (please see thread on grey market spares!)

Mr, sorry Dr Mallya offered me a bubbly in front of UB city - he created another pothole which meant a bubbled tyre. Replaced with a set of Yoko S-drives - same size. Power traction has improved and car is well under controlled. No vast improvement compared to the Honda but an improvement all the same.

Just finished a 1500 km round trip to Kerala. the boot is amazing - the mother of a sub, golf clubs, one strolley, one large suitcase, various softbags and the expanded tool kit. Car took the bad roads without a problem except for the front grounding.

Beyond Krishnagiri, I was not pushing it but having that reserve of power was great when overtaking. The hill roads in Munnar were gobbled but sudden oncoming traffic meant caution. However, a night drive in the hills saw the car at its best, you have detect oncoming traffic due to the lights at least!
How much did the Yokos cost you? How good are they on the RS?
Old 8th October 2008, 00:01   #70
BHPian

If you can add some pics would be helpful...
Old 29th December 2008, 20:20   #71
Team-BHP Support

30000 km - too hot to handle and the bill burnt my pocket!

About 800 km ago, the service indicator blinked. Plan was to get the car serviced during the Xmas lean period. However.....

A week before Xmas, I was working from my airport road facility and popped over to Embassy Golf Links for a meeting - a mere 2 km @ 10km/h. 45 min later, am off, returning means going up the IRR, u turn and head back. I did precisely that, accelerated to 60 braked for the U. The oncoming traffic was empty, full revs and did the U. Glanced at the instruments to find the water temp moving beyond the literally fixed 90 degree mark

Needle was still climbing despite doing 50km/h (if it was the fans, the airflow would cool things), I slowed down and limped to office. Had lunch and returned to the car. Coolant looked low. Was dreading the worst! I needed to get to Electronics City for a meeting so I ordered a car from Hertz instead.

Drove home gingerly, switching off engine at every stop. reached home safely. Car was fine at night as long as I did not exceed 2000 rpm. This was sounding ominous. Decided to stop using the car and used Volvo's and inter building shuttles till sat.

Journey to KR Puram was going to be a challenge. Decided to go via HAL airport, turn left and join OMR. I left at 8.30. Car made it to HAL and the needle started to rise. Switched car off at HAL junction, turned left and drove on gingerly keeping revs to 1500rpm. Was driving like a priest.

Hit OMR and put the car in neutral, let engine idle and let the momentum carry it to the railway bridge. Climbing up the the KR puram bridge, the load put demands on the engine and I knew it was time to stop. Waited for 10 min and completed the final 2 km to Vinayak
Old 29th December 2008, 20:33   #72
Team-BHP Support

Yes, it did nto sound good, it was the water pump, the 1.8 T achilles heel. I knew the symptoms but it should happen at 50000km. More on this in a minute

Vinayak steadily improves. This time, after I booked they confirmed the day before and were ready and waiting for the car. Fayaz, the supervisor took over.

I told him the car was heating up. He immediately checked the fans which were working. He explained that it sounded like the water pump and also told me it is the weak point but he refused to beleive it could go so soon so he was going to check everything else first and then the big shock!

"We do not stock the pump sir!" Understandable since the RS is not a common model

"It will take minimum 8-10 days, I have a 2 L 60k km with the same problem"

I told him that I will import one in half the time and he better fit it - he did not say no but would need GM approval.

I left the car and went home. He promptly rang in the evening and said that it is the pump and a new one has been despatched from Aurangabad, due on Mon Afternoon

Mon Afternoon - part does not arrive as the truck carrying it has a mishap nd it arrives on Tue

Tues Afternoon - oops - it was the wrong part. Reordered and it is on its way. due in on Fri and Thurs is a holiday.

Friday - it arrives in the afternoon

Sat - They begin fitting it and complete it on sunday

Monday (today) - they want ot test the system. They don't just rush and thrash it. They make it idle for one hour. Then it goes for a 1 hour test drive and then deemed okay. 3.00 pm - I am told that it is getting ready and to come over. 4.30 PM, I am on the road
Old 29th December 2008, 20:39   #73
Team-BHP Support

The damage

Rs 21000

A lot of filters changed - pollen filter cost 400 and 200 to fit as the bulkhead needs to be dismantled

Water pump - 6200 + 1200 to fit

Fuse holder (partially burnt during the fan shorting episode) 2600

Coolant 400

Oil 4000

Wheel alignment , balancing.....

Big bill but a big service

Makes me wonder should I look at the Japs next time around ? Hwever, I got into the car and drove off and was reminded what Euro cars are all about but one day the cost will exceed the glee

Kudo's to Vinayak for a very methodical service and diagnosis.

Make sure Fayaz looks after the car
Old 29th December 2008, 20:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Alls well that ends well, Ajmat.
21,000 sure sounds high for a person moving from a honda city to a Skoda.
I think you were prepared for this when you were buying the car.

Last edited by nitrous : 29th December 2008 at 20:49.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy. Just when I had almost convinced myself to upgrade to a vRS.
:(

Most Viewed