Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 22:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review

My trips abroad has always made me itch for something german - I always get the keys of a BMW or Merc chucked at me. . Another aspect is that my current Vtec is great for city sprints but for various long distance journeys, it was wearing. So logically, it was the RS which would fit the bill but finding one that would fit the wallet was another matter. Hearing about TAFE and their redefinition of service, I never bothered to pursue this further. Whenever, I got the itch, I popped over to TAFE t experience their arrogance, rub my paws over an RS and walk off. For 16 Lakhs, its bleak black interiors did not cut it. I never drove one for quite a while. SO I decided to look at alternatives,

Second hand BMW 3's - for a budget of Rs 10 L. The ones on sale e36's were usually overpriced or knackered....and they were namby pamby 316 auto's.

Ditto - Merc C classes - 'nuff said about the C180 w203. Post 2004 only worth considering but the price, was dire. W202's are a plenty but mainly 4 pots which were not worth considering. W201?? There was a 190 2.6 for sale. Person was asking a high price but only 50k km in 17 years is questionable. Never bothered to look at it as it would be difficult to sell on. As a disposable sofa - it would be a good buy.

On a trip to Mumbai, I drove N_C's beast and was hooked but the price and service dissuaded me.

Other things that were considered or proposed to me - Honda Integra type R. Was going at a slightly expensive price. Was considering it but a very sesnsible D-bhp'ian dissuaded me on practical issues like daily running etc. If I lived in Chennai or CBE near a track, it would be a different issue. So it was back to the RS. No good second hand ones around. Most were knackered or over tuned or over priced - 10-12 lakhs for 40k examples. - sigh.

Things looked promising when Vinayak Motors came in. I also found that buying and running new VRS would cost more that a Laura due to projected high depreciation. hence I decided to look at a Laura. Test drove one and I liked it, it needed to shift more but enough options were available. Another issue was the PD engines were to be phased out in the near future so would I be satisfied at all? Folks only talked about the gearbox, not the engine!! Again used Laura's were priced so high that new Laura's made more sense but I hated emi's and as the old man said "thought too much"

Old man tolerated my fantasies, delusions etc on my next car. Cut to a month ago, a 2005 Beige 40k Rider was advertised for 7.75. Rang old man and we went to Whitefield and looked at it. Needed minor tidying up and new tyres. Had leather, crappy alloys and a crappier stereo. Owner had moved abroad and brother was remote selling it from Salem. I drove it and was hooked but the colour made me hesitate. Old man said "go for it", I wondered how much to go in for

Rang Rtech - told him it was a Rider - he said yuck, told him the colour and he puked

Rang seller - and offered Rs 7L and he puked and said other people were going to see it. I said go ahead.

After a week he calls - "what have you thought"

"I gave you my offer"

"Will you give more, 1 lakh of extras, other people coming to see car"

"May be 7.1L - lets talk during the weekend"

Weekend comes and goes

He calls and apologies and says please negotiate with someone local. During the call, my phone beeps. Rtech has located an RS black 15k for a slightly high price. I call, it is a dealer. Rtech finds out it is JMD Vashi. N_c knows them well. By lunch time, he has checked the car out and negotiates. This takes a week. We agree a price, N_C pays an advance and I send the DD over.

Nov 30th comes - Viddy, Rudi and I go to Vashi. Car is awaiting me. It has been throughly checked. Except for a few bonnet dings and a dicky cup holder, it is perfect for a car of its age. After signing the delivery note. We set off. Stereo sounds pathetic but the thrust and refinement is good. Wiper/ indicator confusion prevails. Optra driving old man merely chuckles.

Dec 1st

We hit the highway. Car is immensely stable. Lights in tunnel seem inadequate but proved wrong at night. Cruise at 120 easily. I find I can go faster since I can stop faster. Old man takes it up to higher speeds.

Turbo lag is apparent especially when cold. It takes getting used to but then the vtec is flaccid below 4k. This pulls like a loco at 2k rpm. Steering is more meaty and not as tactile as the vtec. A strut brace should help turn-in. Slight floating on highway - tighter shocks are required. The deeper spoiler is a caution point. Best to reverse up ramps if possible. Bonnet cannot be seen so getting used to gauging parking distances. I doubt, I will lower car.

Auto Sensing wipers do not seem to work. May be a bit of programming is required. I like the sunroof and use it on my early morning commute. Dunlops hate being pushed. Gear shift and clutch heavier but am not complaining. I love the thunk of the doors. Cool locking system . Turn the key in the door and the windows go up automatically.

1500 km on, I feel good about the car. It cost me the same as when I bought the Vtec and comes with a lot more. Service costs will be higher. Need to find cheaper spares abroad and hoard.

Will write more later but thanks N_C and Rtech for finding and negotiating the deal.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2020 at 22:57.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 22:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Ajmat. Saw the car on your transit to Bangalore. Nice deal you got there.
Old 12th December 2007, 23:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,Ajmat of Arab!
Im glad Ur long time dream has come true.
PS: I've checked up with the MMST and the next two weekends are busy.
Chennai weather is best at "winter".So, January is the best bet for a fun track day.
Old 12th December 2007, 23:25   #4
BHPian

Nice review. Sort of a introspective kinds!

And lovely pic to go with it. Good layout.

Thanks for sharing!

Elito
Old 13th December 2007, 02:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ajmat. Great lookin car. Got to know about your lovely buy and almost made it that night to see it and meet up with you the day you bought it but something popped up last minute and i could not make it.
Someone told me you bought a RS combi...i dont know if they made such a thing. So what did you get finally a RS sedan or a RS Combi? I think sedan but i have to clear the doubt or I wont get sleep.
Just love the Pic. Looks out of a picture post card...let me guess.. a certain gent with a sweet Eastward accent, presently residing in the south has something to do with the pic right?
Old 13th December 2007, 02:01   #6
BANNED

Good writing there Ajmat. Loved each and every words. Felt as if I was almost there when all this happened. The emotions have been put out in plain, simple words. Great! :

I'm gonna visit you this weekend it seems.
Old 13th December 2007, 02:08   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

wow!!bling car and a beautiful picture.can we some more pics please.
congrats on the car.
Old 13th December 2007, 09:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Someone told me you bought a RS combi...i dont know if they made such a thing. So what did you get finally a RS sedan or a RS Combi? I think sedan but i have to clear the doubt or I wont get sleep.

Just love the Pic. Looks out of a picture post card...let me guess.. a certain gent with a sweet Eastward accent, presently residing in the south has something to do with the pic right?

It is a sedan. Only one RS combi iin Bangalore. And yes the pic is courtesy of the Old Man. We were chatting and he comes up with his cannon, squats, sits up and walks off. If you look the bumper is exactly 90 degree to the road. How he does these precision moves in split seconds is a mystery!

I forgot to add that I did consider the Honda Accord but it is a bit of a sofa. V6 great for straights but cornering under duress is questionable same story as the Vtec

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2020 at 22:55.
Old 13th December 2007, 09:47   #9
BHPian

Great review Ajmat. The car looks great. Congrats
Deepu
Old 13th December 2007, 09:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully written Ajit. Loved reading it. I know what it feels to get something that you have longed for quite sometime. Enjoy your drives. Missed you guys when you passed through Pune.

-Biju
Old 13th December 2007, 10:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Ajmat for a fantastic buy. Are you planning to register this in Karnataka or manage the occasional tryst with cops ?
Old 13th December 2007, 10:11   #12
BHPian

My Dream Car..you are a lucky man Ajmat..Wish i could find a similar black beauty some day!

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2020 at 22:57.
Old 13th December 2007, 10:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Congratulations Ajmat for a fantastic buy. Are you planning to register this in Karnataka or manage the occasional tryst with cops ?

This is in process - but alas takes time
Old 13th December 2007, 10:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat congrats for the purchase.
By the way, what model(year) the car is ?
Old 13th December 2007, 10:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

finally the much awaited initial review, now please do update the goodies you are adding one by one

Most Viewed