Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 01:00   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 10 years & 100k km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I put up a more detailed post in the tyre upsize thread.
Relevant stuff ?
Oh, you misunderstood me. What I meant was not stuff relevant to tyres / wheel alignment. I just felt curious about all parts failures / replacements for the entire car over the period of the last 4-5 years of ownership.
Old 11th March 2012, 01:24   #317
Senior - BHPian

sorry, at this point am too lazy. if the first post were editable, I would have done it there, but to keep track of it all the time....
Old 12th March 2012, 18:38   #318
Senior - BHPian

finally got 3 new rims (@900 each), got the wheel balancing done and alignment again
Finally the car seems like new The pulling to the left issue seems to have gone
Old 14th April 2012, 12:39   #319
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-picture-002.jpg

Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-picture-003.jpg

adding the bills from my workshop trips the last one month.
the engine mounts were busted , and the hydraulics for the boot as well (from the speaker weight). Plus the filters were all jammed.
all clean and changed. still a few rattles to track down,
some body work thanks to an old man driving a scorpio with a bull bar who didnt know when to stop and when to start.
door pads and some upholstery
Old 14th April 2012, 14:10   #320
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

My Dad's DLG Turbo V2 2006 Model has had its clutch re-done twice. It has only done some 41000 odd kms so far over 6 years of ownership. The service chaps said that typically it dies once in 15000 odd kms with typical city driving and constant gear changing. Once it was done under warranty and the second time yesterday we paid for it.
Typically in his experience he tells me he spends about 18K per annum on maintenance.
Is this good or bad?

However, the car is overall in brilliant condition and very comfortable to drive, though quite unrefined compared to the modern diesels.
Old 14th April 2012, 14:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

pretty much the same experience here. heavy on maintenance, I'm also running 20k approx per year.

if you go to a TASC, try bugging your advisor for the AMC package. it costs around 7k per year and covers everything except the tyres(supposedly). They are usually reluctant to talk about it. I heard about it from a friend of mine who worked at tata motors. you might need to beat it out :P. do try anyway
Old 24th May 2012, 13:48   #322
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-img_20120524_1236011.jpg
All Painted and rubbed, waxed and ready to go. Got the Bumpers, all the cladding, rear right door, right C pillar, painted + got the cracked front bumper repaired + whole body polish + underbody coating for 16K at Color Wheels. Amazing job (considering that a TASC quoted 30K, for less work, and that too after insurance) All that's missing is the rear parcel tray.

I personally love the stickering at the back, but my dad's not a big fan. it tends to be a bit polarizing. Who cares
Old 24th May 2012, 15:06   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. it costs around 7k per year and covers everything except the tyres(supposedly).
Not for Indica - it was available only for Safari. For all other models, there were a few more exclusions.

Quote:
I personally love the stickering at the back, ..
Liked the stickering !
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 20:54   #324
Senior - BHPian

After getting my new aceleres and the suspension overhaul, have begun to appreciate driving slow. I used to drive with a lead foot, and now I'm not sure if the turbo has given up its ghost (my workshop says the pickup is fine) but there is no whoosh any more. The acceleration is quite linear. I'll see if ignite can do something about it once I hit chennai. I think I'll stick to this driving style though. learnt to drive this way after the laid back bhubaneswar traffic, and I'm beginning to like it more and more

now that I've been free for a month, got some quality time with the car, and wash it almost every other day
Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-img_80981.jpg
Taken at ponmudi recently

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th June 2012 at 20:58.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 02:35   #325
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good looking car greenhorn.. recently during my trip to Tirupathi, as son as I was able to accelerate to upwards of 80kmph, i could suddenly hear the wind inside the car, but there is no feel of the wind, Only the sound and it was only during high speeds and Since most of my driving voer the last year and a half were within the city, never had this issue. It was from the front right hand side that the sound is very audible. I checked for possible damages, bends, cuts to the rubber beading and all seem fine. The car is 60k run, DLG turbo and almost 6 years old. Would any of you know what could be the issue on this one?
Old 4th September 2012, 13:37   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
i could suddenly hear the wind inside the car, but there is no feel of the wind, Only the sound and it was only during high speeds Would any of you know what could be the issue on this one?
for me the only case this happened, it turned out one of the rear windows was slightly rolled down - not immediately noticeable, and that gap was causing the noise

The indicab is in Chennai now. There had been some roughness in the idle and at higher speeds. Since my mounts were replaced recently, the cause was pointed to be ac compressor bearings. Raghav said that the bearings alone can be changed, but you need a good AC mech, and they couldnt recommend any, and most will just ask you to replace the whole compressor.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-chennai.html
found this info. will have to pay a visit one of these days. He also said that the performance of my car is fine, and this was expected of an indica this age, and it was best that I not fix what wasn't broken. That was a bummer.
Old 4th September 2012, 15:14   #327
BHPian

Nice choice of rubber! You've gone from 165 to 175 right? Any drop in mileage? I've heard good things about the Aceleres, I was planning to shift to tubeless tyres too, but I lost 3 tyres & rims in my accident (2 got damaged and passersby ran away with another 1) so for cost reasons I stuck with tube tyres. Also, I'm absolutely in love with the alloy wheels (shown below) which come factory fitted with some of the new Indicas/Indigos. I would've definitely gone for them but for some vitamin M!

Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-exteriorsiv.jpg

Last edited by MudMover : 4th September 2012 at 15:15.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:18   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for me the only case this happened, it turned out one of the rear windows was slightly rolled down - not immediately noticeable, and that gap was causing the noise

The car just came back from a service at KHT motors in Bangalore and made my purse lighter by 6.5k. Nothing great to talk about, the service advisor there, Mahesh knew absolutely nothing about what he had to do and was always assisted by someone else. He said there was a gap in the beading which has since been fixed, and I am yet to test it, will be able to test it in the next couple of days.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:29   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Nice choice of rubber! You've gone from 165 to 175 right? Any drop in mileage?
Yes, Its still hovering around the 12.something mark, though i suspect it might have taken a hit.
Quote:
I've heard good things about the Aceleres,
Compared to the S322's that i was running, they are fabulous - even more so when you consider the price
Quote:
I was planning to shift to tubeless tyres too, but I lost 3 tyres & rims in my accident (2 got damaged and passersby ran away with another 1) so for cost reasons I stuck with tube tyres.
Get tubeless! I was apprehensive about their ruggedness, but they've handled everything I've thrown at them, and the fact that you can drive around on them even if you have a puncture is awesome (You can drive to the puncturwallah, and odds are you can get your tyre repaired without removing it). I think the costs are comparable. the cheapest MRF tubetype i got was 3.7k, and i got these for 4k
Quote:
Also, I'm absolutely in love with the alloy wheels (shown below) which come factory fitted with some of the new Indicas/Indigos. I would've definitely gone for them but for some vitamin M!
I had gotten an awesome deal on alloys (older shape aura, a style that was OE on indicas around the time i bought mine) but decided to skip them because of the bad and muddy roads here.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 19:20   #330
BHPian

Quote:
After getting my new aceleres and the suspension overhaul, have begun to appreciate driving slow. I used to drive with a lead foot, and now I'm not sure if the turbo has given up its ghost (my workshop says the pickup is fine) but there is no whoosh any more. The acceleration is quite linear. I'll see if ignite can do something about it once I hit chennai. I think I'll stick to this driving style though. learnt to drive this way after the laid back bhubaneswar traffic, and I'm beginning to like it more and more

now that I've been free for a month, got some quality time with the car, and wash it almost every other day
Attachment 937399
Taken at ponmudi recently
Hey, you have one good Indica there.

Please do some thing about the ORVM Chrome strip. Paint it black, maybe?

Drivesafe,
~emnenttsmo
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed