Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 13:12   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 10 years & 100k km up

gave my car for a 60K service with a check engine light, rpm hunting, one non functioning switch, and a dead rear defogger. Initial estimate : 7K + FIP overhaul (12+K) which i decided to do at Lucas

And now I get a call saying that my coolant is black, my C mount is bust, that i need to change my water pump, overhaul my radiator, new coolant... and the new estimate is 17K+

and this is for a car that has been doing mostly city runs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html
seriously beginning to give this some thought
Old 25th January 2013, 13:52   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
gave my car for a 60K service with a check engine light, rpm hunting, one non functioning switch, and a dead rear defogger. Initial estimate : 7K + FIP overhaul (12+K) which i decided to do at Lucas

And now I get a call saying that my coolant is black, my C mount is bust, that i need to change my water pump, overhaul my radiator, new coolant... and the new estimate is 17K+

and this is for a car that has been doing mostly city runs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html
seriously beginning to give this some thought
I think you car would have seen more places than mine and more inter state rides. Maybe among one ride wherein you said you got two bend rims, some other damage also happened during that time?

I had similar ( but not this bad) experience which was caused by misuse of car sometime ago by somene who has access to it.
Old 25th January 2013, 14:36   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Havent you been checking the coolant ? What about the temp gauge - does it show higher than normal readings ?
Old 25th January 2013, 14:52   #334
Senior - BHPian

hadnt been monitoring coolant levels, but temps have always been in check - the needle never went above the half mark. I had serviced the car thrice during the orissa stint, and nothing had shown up then.

The only thing I can think of is the AC compressor - One of its bearing is busted, and it's been creating extra vibrations. I had been sitting on the decision to swap it (15k!) because i can bear the extra vibes, as long the AC actually works. But now am worried this might be due to the compressor acting up .

So this 17K + FIP overhaul + 15K for the Compressor.

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th January 2013 at 14:54.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:56   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

If temp's in check,
then cooling = fine ?
Hence coolant = ok ?
Hence radiator = ok ?

Last edited by condor : 25th January 2013 at 15:59.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:08   #336
Senior - BHPian

I asked them if they could just fix the rest of the stuff and leave the coolant system alone, but they kept insisting. I'd taken it there because ignite had said they couldnt source parts (for an indica!). Not sure if there are any places I can actually not get ripped off.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:59   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

what parts do you need ?
Old 25th January 2013, 17:33   #338
Senior - BHPian

nothing complex. there was this door switch ( the ones that's reponsible for turning the cabin light on and off) - they said they couldnt source it, and that I best go to a tata ASC.
Old 29th January 2013, 22:39   #339
Senior - BHPian

Concorde seems to be actually better than all the TASC's I've tried so far. The vibes from the front seem to have gone, and only issue remaining is the rpm hunting/FIP - I'll take it up with a TVS service center nearby though it's reduced a lot. Will have to check about the check engine light tomorrow.
They seem to really go out of the way to take care of things - There were a lot of loose ends when I got my car back from service - The door switch that was supposedly replaced was still not working, one of my front park lights was not working, water wasnt coming from either the front or rear windows, and the horn wasnt working. The door switch was again replaced, the rest turned out to be a bunch of loose connections, and the only thing that stumped the mechs was the rear wash/wipe button. After a lot of diagnosis, it turned out that they had connected the wrong connector to the switch - which was why it wasnt turning on, and the rear wiper motor was on its last legs. This troubleshooting took about 2 hours, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the rear wash pump motor would be replaced FOC.
Most of the other TASC's would cook up a lame excuse about the part not being in stock, and would have asked me to come the next day, but the advisor got three mechs working together and finally sorted all the issues out - for an out of warranty car...
Bills as usual.
The total was 16,800 60K service, but still...
Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-bill1.jpg

Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-bill02.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th January 2013 at 22:42.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 23:32   #340
BHPian

Quote:
only issue remaining is the rpm hunting/FIP
There was a similar issue in my car too. Dieselkerala guys told it will be due to the wearing out/corrosion of a rubber piece in the fuel p/p coupling. This is due to the excess kerosene content in diesel. Didn't bother to rectify it as the hunting was very small in my case.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 11:50   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Heres a approximate cost of servicing the FIP in detail along with the parts to be replaced as per the problem.

1. General servicing of the pump. This includes parts such as Blade & Liner and the service kit costing around 1850/-
2. Bearing if required Rs1450/-
3. Head & rotor Assy. required only in case of starting trouble cost around Rs8000/-
4. Sundry parts Rs500/- if required.
5. Labour charges ranging from 500-800
6. Injectors servicing (set of 4) 300-500
7. Nozzles if required Rs2100/- set of 4

I again repeat the Head & Rotor is required only if you face starting trouble and nozzles are to be replaced if you are getting consistantly low mileage.

You can get the FIP serviced at the company workshop address as below

Lucas Indian Service Ltd,
28, Poomagal Main Road,
Ekkattuthangal
Went to this place, the mech there fiddled with the pump, and it was rattling/clattering at a certain point. he said the rotor is worn out and would have to be replaced. gave me an estimate of 8-10k and 5 days. going there on monday.
Old 31st January 2013, 21:19   #342
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is the AC compressor - One of its bearing is busted, and it's been creating extra vibrations. I had been sitting on the decision to swap it (15k!)..
So this 17K + FIP overhaul + 15K for the Compressor.
Recon, recon and recon, if it's Tata!
I did put up a detail on the recon compressor fitted in our Indica by TASS, for about 6K/-. Moreover, I got an Indigo's 110cc recon compressor in place of the 80cc(?) compressor on the Indica's. You can check it out at your TASS, whenever you consider a replacement.

Finally, good to know that it's going good for you at Concorde Motors, which is the last place I would drop in, here at Bangalore!
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 23:57   #343
Senior - BHPian

Wohoo. Turbo Whoosh is back.
MyTVS guys at Ekaduthangal overhauled my FIP(incl rotor replacement) and found out that one of my nozzle bodies needed replacement. so 7+4K = 11K
I had an good experience with myTVS as well. the advisor was very proactive and helpful, and they did an interior waxjob and wash for free (you'd have to pay extra for that at a TASC) The place is more acessible too from my house.
Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up-lucastvs.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th February 2013 at 23:59.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 18:00   #344
BHPian

Dear greenhorn,
Our indica's fuel pump was also overhauled at about 103k kms due to excessive black smoke and lack of pick up at a tvs delphi dealer in Sri ganganagar through TASS. The rotor was found to be in perfect condition and only recaliberation was done along with a change of some seals. The interesting part is that the tass only charged Rs.2000 for the same. The total bill came out to be around Rs.6000 , which included the following -
1. Coolant Reservoir Rs.480
2. timing Belt Bearings (3 Nos.) Rs.2300
3. silencer cleaning
4. engine oil change
5. oil filter
6. fuel filter
BLACK1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 18:32   #345
BHPian

Hi Greenhorn,
I'm writing this in behalf of my friend who owns a Indica DLG Turbo clocked around 23K kms.

Last saturday, his vehicle stalled and was eventually towed by Concorde motors.
The SA at Concorde now says that there is a problem with the alternator motor and needs to be serviced for which he is quoting Rs 4250+ taxes. Says he needs to send it to a Lucas TVS workshop.

Is the cost for servicing the alternator that much or is it worth replacing the entire unit? Request you to provide the cost for a new motor or the service cost for it. Can this be handled outside of the service center? Thx for your help.

Rgds,
Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks