Team-BHP - Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/34742-tata-indica-dlg-turbo-edit-15-years-114k-km-up.html)

I suppose there is no glut of Indica reviews here , but here goes mine.

Based on recommendations from you guys , My choice had been narrowed down to the indica turbo and the wagon R duo. But unlike most people faced with the decision, i chose the indica instead , and in the face of rising CNG prices and mileage, seems like a good decision . Besides, i learnt to drive on an old indica DLS , and loved the torque in the car. No need to rev the car to make it start moving . lesser need for half clutch on inclines, and my dad who was also supposed to drive the car said that for him, the WagonR 's front pillar marred visibility, and ( he hadn't driven a car in a long time since his college days ) , the petrol engine seemed to leap , and then stall when he stepped on the accelerator, and seemed to like the diesel's behaviour a lot better. Besides , the area we live in has VERY bad roads , especially the approach to our house , which 800's and altos have difficulty climbing.

Either way, booked a White indica DLG turbo from kulathunkal for 4.34L OTR. We wanted a white ( I knew there was going to be a lot of scratches from me + dad learning to drive , so white being cheap + easy to touch up) . they said that it would take 1~2 weeks to get it as they didn't have the said colour in stock. It ended up taking 1 month to deliver though. Dad was quite angry , and gave them pretty bad ratings on the response form . They called us up a week later to inquire about the low ratings. It happened again during the first service. They seem to care for their customer ratings , but somehow , i don't see them improving. The car on delivery was ok, except for a faulty rear parcel shelf, which they exchanged from another car it seems .

The car lay idle for an entire week since neither me nor dad wanted to drive it first ( both of us being learners ) . finally, i got a friend of mine who owns an indigo to help me out , and we took the car for a spin. Compared to the battered DLS i'd been driving, the clutch seemed a bit more stiff, but on the plus side , the steering gave more feedback. the dls one had a dead feel. Reached 120 kmph before the fact that it hadn't been run in hit us. Took it sheepishly back home- our little secret. but then tragedy struck. Trying to squeeze in between an auto and a scooter parked on opposite sides, managed to get both sides scratched!

The first service was a horrible experience. Dad called and asked if there was any rush during weekends , in which case he could bring the car on a weekday. The kulathunkal said , Saturday's fine. so we booked the service , and headed there on Saturday. There we were neglected , and made to stand around for an hour or so, where people who just showed up got their cars booked for service, while we'd called and confirmed a week earlier were made to wait. they finally took the car in after 1.5 hours or so of waiting. We returned at 5 to get the car , but turns out , "its not ready yet" We had to wait more , until at about 6:30, we see the car being taken out , in the shape we gave it. It was just washed , and given back , with scratches intact. they offered to take it off with thinner ( they said the rubbing alcohol was locked up) . we said no, besides, it was 7 already, and left. they said that they had heavy rush during weekends , and hence the delay.

Which brings me to my biggest beef with tata service. I knew what i was getting into with the indica . slow times, waits etc. I know it will happen. Then why do they insist that it wont happen, they say sorry when it does? Before delivery, I specifically asked if getting a white would take >2 weeks , I'd get another colour, and yet they took one month . Before giving service , I asked if there would be delays on weekends , in which case , i'd come on a weekday. They said no problemo , then made us wait for hours. I found this a strange trend. Bad service , i knew its there , but trying to impress the customer , then disappointing them even worse , then saying sorry seems quite strange. Maybe they have a masochistic attitude.

Second service was lot better. we went on a weekday. everything happened like clockwork. they removed the scratches, fixed a lot more of the rattles ( there are some still left though ) In fact , the rattles dont bother me , but when people ask, this is a new car right, why the rattles? It embarrases me , and worse , i'm spreading the bucket of bolts indica stereotype, even if its not tata's fault :(

Overall . the car gives ~14 kmpl. mostly city driving , AC on . visibility on the front is a small issue , but the left front bumper corner is all scratched up because my neighbour has no walls , and instead has put rocks on the boundary, which you don't see when you're turning and reversing into our gate. In narrow roads , especially when you have to give way to the left , and there being a gutter on the left side , is an issue. The car is well built, and confidence inspiring. the steering is a bit more heavy, and so are the pedals ( i realized that only after i drove an alto) . the general feel of the build can also do better , compared to the swift. But i feel that i've gotten overall VFM . the seating position is great , but the pedals slightly unergonomic. The dials look absolutely gorgeous. Even Others have told me the same. Some credit to VDO for that !

Two things i like about this car ? Space , and torque! I can fit in 4~5 people , and this car can still move like crazy, and keep up with the santros and wagon R's ( i know this for a fact that there is a swift, a wagon R , an alto and a santro at my office, and my car carries me + 5 people , while the others carry a total of 5, and i can more than keep up (with AC at max) . The torque is sweet as well. there being an incline up our house. the neighbours own 800's which they have to rev like crazy to make them climb, and their wheels sometimes go airborne, and sometimes lose grip. Me on the other hand , just gently release the clutch, and go up calmly at idle revs ( the 14 inch wheels help as well!)

The car is a beast on highways, and absolutely well planted. First my friends were sceptical whether white would be good an a privately owned indica, but now , some do admit, that it does look fine , and one has gone to the extent of saying that it serves as an excuse for rash driving as it looks like a taxi at first sight, and lesser marutis etc tend to keep out of their way ! And It's cheaper to repair the dings and scratches. But still I'm thinking about getting it painted with the bright limited edition Red ..

The turbo is a great thing as well on highways , when playing catch up with the vernas and octys out there. but the turbo lag can still be a damper sometimes, when you need that sudden boost of speed when you're cruising in 5th. The engine is a bit noisy at startup. but slowly becomes ok after running some time. Also , it becomes harsh after running at high revs for a long time.

Before buying this car, i absolutely hated driving . Thought of it as nothing more than point A to point B . This car has changed all that. It's made me a believer:D !
So far , its been a great experience *touch wood* with the car. Hope it stays that way!

Nice review greenhorn.
Its sad to see the service centers ruining such a great experience, looks like Tata will never learn

Nice account of how tata treats the customers at their dealerships. We have many reviews about how their servicing is in this forum. They will never improve in this department (I feel). And if Nano is launched, then God help us (the customers). The situation will be bad to worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 701556)
Nice review greenhorn.
Its sad to see the service centers ruining such a great experience, looks like Tata will never learn

the mechanics at the service center seem to be competent, and they admitted that they tend to be stressed on weekends. They havent increased the infrastructure to cope with the increased workload. Everything is fine on weekdays though.

I think at least some of the blame lies with the clueless PYT's who handle the calls and the customers .

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 701563)
Nice account of how tata treats the customers at their dealerships. We have many reviews about how their servicing is in this forum. They will never improve in this department (I feel). And if Nano is launched, then God help us (the customers). The situation will be bad to worse.

That seriously is an issue which tata must tackle before the NONO launch. Else like Bajaj with their chetak, expect the roadside mechanics to take care of the NANO service

Nice review man.

Just curious, did those buggers actually RIP the rear seat belts out? That would be unfortunate - I am personally a great advocate of belts - would even lockdown my 6 month old niece if I could have my way :)

Andyes, drive the Indica like a battering ram - the white is a deadly color, and thoughts of mad call center cabs will get junta out of the way. The plastic while not exactly reassuring is decent - esp the bumpers.

But yes, I think Tata should hold one day coaching session on self-service for Indica owners. That is the only solution I see to the universally horrible TASS!! The engine is typical Tata, fill it shut it and forget it - here's to miles of smiles!

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 701716)
Nice review man.

Just curious, did those buggers actually RIP the rear seat belts out? That would be unfortunate - I am personally a great advocate of belts - would even lockdown my 6 month old niece if I could have my way :)

I dont know. Just noticed a while ago that the rear seatbelts were missing. they just werent there (this was before the second service) The only place it could have happend is the acessories shop . I've no idea why they removed it. And its too late to go back for it now i guess
Quote:

But yes, I think Tata should hold one day coaching session on self-service for Indica owners. That is the only solution I see to the universally horrible TASS!! The engine is typical Tata, fill it shut it and forget it - here's to miles of smiles!
I think thats what tata's gonna do with the nano- entrust the local assembly and support to local integrators, and wash their hands off the whole affair!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 701759)
I dont know. Just noticed a while ago that the rear seatbelts were missing. they just werent there (this was before the second service) The only place it could have happend is the acessories shop . I've no idea why they removed it. And its too late to go back for it now i guess

I suggest you need to ask them about it. IN the first place they need not remove that to out seat covers. And what would they do with those seat belts. Are you sure they were there after the first service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemithomas (Post 701783)
I suggest you need to ask them about it. IN the first place they need not remove that to out seat covers. And what would they do with those seat belts. Are you sure they were there after the first service.

nope, during the first service , they barely had time to wash the car, and our driver was with them the whole time.

either way, its been 6 months plus now. tired of going back to the accessories shop. Besides , the fact that the dealer is a relative of a colleague complicates matters.Thought it was good thing when he offered to get it done at the place, not so much in retrospect. Figured I'd cut my losses and bear it.

Anyway, the ladyfolk in the family dont like seatbelts anyway. Me and my dad wear them. end of story :)

greenhorn, i am skeptical about the fact that they have actually removed. i have seen this happen with two others and its probably the same with you as well.

have you really searched for them or just noticed one day that they are not there and cursed those guys and let it be? if so i think they are probably still there in the car. just unlock the back seats and fold them down and then put them up against the front seat (second fold). see if you now see the seat belts. :)

thanks for the Info zappo! i must admit , i never did check *THAT* well. Will check it the first thing tomorrow morning and post back :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 701821)
thanks for the Info zappo! i must admit , i never did check *THAT* well. Will check it the first thing tomorrow morning and post back :)

stupid:You were Right . the absconding seatbelts were indeed found hiding under the shop fitted floormats. The shop seems to have drawn outlines for the holes for the seatbelts , but they seem to have decided against actually making them. Will make the holes myself and get the seatbelts back up.

Thanks a ton!

hey can one of the mods delete this paragraph from the original post as well as this post itself ?

Quote:

On an unrelated note, we got the seat covers done at the shop near ambrosia , and to their credit , they did the seat covers quite well, but they put the floor matting in a shade of white! and it looked horrible to boot. My dad was quite angry with the quality of work as well. But he was recommended by a colleague of mine, and he offered to do the whole thing over again if required , but the man at the shop looked heartbroken when dad expressed dissatisfaction. My parents ( and me ) as a rule don't like pissing people off. So we figured , fine , we could live with it. But a the next day we notice the car rattling like a bucket of bolts. A second visit cured some of it. A third visit was somewhat less helpful. I figured that further interaction was a waste of time. Something else I noticed was that they'd removed the rear seat belts! Since i'm the only one who uses seatbelts compulsively , took me a while to notice. Either way, I'm done dealing with THAT shop. Any accessory shops in tvm you guys would recommend ? One where you don't (literally) get ripped off ?
I feel that it's irrelevant now , especially that the seatbelt issue has been resolved
Thanks !

Nice write up Greenhorn. Glad you solved the mystery of the missing seatbelts. Poor accessory shop got a bashing for no fault of theirs. When I was getting seat covers on my Santro, the rear seatbelts were put in the boot, but yeah, they did tell me it was there when I called them up.

Important point abt the service at Tata. They seem to have improved drastically in Mumbai atleast, but I guess they still dont have their act quite together. The day they fix that, I'll buy a Tata product.

Was waiting to turn , when suddenly I'm shoved forward. We get out , and see that a matiz has hit us from behind. But when we look at it , we notice just cosmetic damage , and the guy was really polite and apologetic, dad let him go, since it was just a cosmetic matter.

but afterwards , there was a knocking sound when going over bumps , and when we opened the boot to investigate, noticed that the back wall had caved in inwards :(

Went to the service center today morning ( had been planning to anyway because of some extra noise , like a sewing machine , when starting- they said some belt needs tightening) , and the bodyshop guy said that the rear floor section *might* have to be changed - he'd get back to us after a better inspection, and that the mounting bush of the exhaust had been damaged :(

for a change, the service was quick and prompt. We whined and complained a lot, which might have caused them to be more attentive. They said that the car needs to be in for two days or so. Will post after i get it back. I would have gone to a local shop to straighten out the bump, but neither me nor dad has the free time..

here goes my no claims bonus:Frustrati