Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 13:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

How is it Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Cars was firm, steady & nicely balanced even at the speed of 150 and trust me on highways you will get amazed when you will see your speedometer at 100 with no real efforts.

I'm sure that is a speedo error..

Currently 1900 RPM at 4th gear gives 80 KMPH and 2000 RPM at 5th gear gives 100 KMPH. Don’t go by max speed written in specs I bet you can easily achieve 160 with no great efforts but beware of Indian roads which has unpredictable speed breakers, so I managed a speed between 110 to 120 only.

Also..if it does 80Kmph in 4th at 1900 RPM..it should be lower in 5th gear for 100 kmph.. I'm afraid..you got it mixed up here ezee..

OT:

The faster one goes especially above 140 or 160..one needs to be alert in nano seconds than in seconds..
Old 28th January 2008, 15:06   #32
BHPian

Hi,
Most of the criticism of the Logan seems to be because of its looks. While I am not a fan of the Logan's looks either, I have to admit that there are few cars in the market now that I really like. The Civic's sides are too flat. The Fiesta's headlights are too bulbous. The City has a too long slope from the roof down to its bumper in the front. If you enjoy driving the car or being driven in it, you have a good car. Looks are personal and subjective. Does not make sense to give too much importance to what others say about your car.

Just enjoy the ride.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Great first review Ezee. Looks are very subjective. When swift was releases there were more people who hated its looks than liked. Now, after seeing the car on roads for so many years, that ration reversed.

However, i am surprised that you get 18.5L in city, which is better than a SwiftD, somehow does not seem to jell. Also, do you drive without AC and no pushing the car all the time?
Old 28th January 2008, 15:26   #34
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
getting 18.5kmpl in the City is really really difficult for any car.

BUSA its not that difficult, my swift gives 18kmpl in coimbatore and 16-17 in cochin with the AC on. the logan is supposed to be far more fuel efficient. its definitely possible. but agree with you that the computer readings are almost always dodgy.

@mobike008- the looks of the logan are universally reviled. even the owners find it difficult to digest it's looks. but there is no disputing the fact that this is a great car for the price you pay.
the only tolerable logan would be a one in jet black with wider tyres and nice alloys.

Last edited by rippergeo : 28th January 2008 at 15:30.

Old 28th January 2008, 16:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Great review and i somehow still have a soft corner for that chiseled a$$

Alas they got the pricing wrong by 50-75 k. Would definitely recommend one at home for chauffeuring family (read as drivern by driver) in city.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:57   #36
BHPian

I know that most of the people wont believe about what Logan can do. I know how to manually check Average of any vehicle but I trust ON Board Computers especially when other readings are correct, then you cant blam just one.

Pic attached below is different readings from my Logan (read top left to right):

1. Current Average of 18.4 kmpl
2. Amount of Diesel Consumed (since last trip)
3. Total distance to empty
4. Total distance till date
5. Average speed

Also Its freezing here in Gurgaon these days so I do not use AC but sometimes use heater.

@headers: I dont know why it should be lower in 5th for 100kmph, there is a difference of 20 in between 80 and 100, check with your car again if you can cover a difference of 20 between 4th and 5th with lower RPM.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

If the price of Loagan is lowered to say 40~50K, then I feel this will take the market by storm. Hope the M&M/Renault guys are listening and we can expect a price cut maybe in near future as the volumes they have assumed are not selling as onf now.
Old 28th January 2008, 19:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ok then its very much possible, without AC your getting 18.5kmpl is possible and quite good. Heater doesnot use AC.
Old 28th January 2008, 19:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice crisp review!

Logan is very practical & VFM Car!
Looks are subjective, for me Logan looks decent!
Old 28th January 2008, 20:15   #40
BHPian

Great precision to your review, ezee

It's a pleasure to read such precise writing. Thanks for your lovely report. It's also fine that you cover the Renault- a car and brand I admire v much. They may be new in India and seem gawky and nervous, but I'm sure they're just getting the pulse of the market. Once they do, we can expect heaps of excitement from that stable.

My dad's first car was a Renault (something called @#/+& meaning 'Two Horses)...and he's full of nostalgia when he spaeks of her. Perhaps I aught to go out and buy him one just to take that full circle.
Also, Renault made some sexy rally machines in the 80's...can't recall their model numbers (perhaps 205??) but know they shook up the competition.

Vive la Renault.
Old 29th January 2008, 03:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Also, Renault made some sexy rally machines in the 80's...can't recall their model numbers (perhaps 205??) but know they shook up the competition.
LOL!! The 205 (the 205 T16 to be correct!) was a Peugeot product man! The car you're referring to is probably the Renault 5 Turbo which was quite a lairy Group B rally car. And this is what it looked like:

And you can read more about them here:
Group B rally cars

Renault Manufacturer Profile & Rally History : Rallye-Info.com
Old 29th January 2008, 09:47   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Boxy look:

Yes it has a boxy look and that’s where all the space comes from.

Not good looking old fashion car:

Well my advice to all is, if you would like to buy a car like you neighbor has then please do not buy Logan, its not meant for you.

No power at 65 BHP:

I don’t know how much extra power one needs to drive on Indian roads,
No push button boot release:

- Its available as extra fitment at nominal cost of Rs. 500 from company with 2 year warranty, also will come as standard in coming up versions.

Power window switches are wrongly placed:

- Has advantage in some manner and debatable in other countries for locking and power window. Also I don’t know why so often one require opening window while AC going.
LOL! Each one of your comments can apply to a multitude of basic cars, like the 800, Sumo, Bolero or maybe even the Ambassador. I truly appreciate your optimism, and maybe Mahindra intended to target exactly your category of buyer.

But the one that takes the cake is:

Quote:
No ABS, EBD:

I would love to keep my life and safety lines in my hands than a high-tech device like ABS and EBD.
Seriously, Team-BHP is a far more mature forum than to entertain comments like these. If we were to go with your reasoning, lets get rid of seat-belts, airbags and maybe tubeless tyres too!

I can understand that you are happy with your car, and rightly so, since the Logan is a solid sedan. But as Ajmat said, it is only the price that works against it. Lets call a spade a spade, and avoid blindly accepting anything....whether right or wrong.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2008 at 09:49.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:32   #43
BHPian

@GTO: Yes dude I agree what you say but please mind we are talking here about a budget car and not sci-fi gadgeted box. I think price is high due to some universal factors like importing Common Rail Diesel engines, gear boxes and paying duties, only government can do something about it or we have manufacturing facilities here in India.

As you said yes definetely Logan is made for considering a particular category of buyers (infact the highest in India), thats why SWIFT has become one of the highest selling despite of its European looks and small window size, raised side body (which makes it second most dented after Indica).

I am sure guys from Reno & Mahindra will be reading reviews carefully and try to figureout updates accordingly and yes they have shown an upcoming version of Logan in Auto Expo with better quality material and everything we are talking about.
Old 30th January 2008, 08:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ezee..The 5th gear will make the engine run at a lower rpm than 4th..and so on.. hence..if you are doing a lower rpm in 4th gear at a certain speed..to do the same speed..the engine would run further low..in 5th gear..

hence..

'Currently 1900 RPM at 4th gear gives 80 KMPH and 2000 RPM at 5th gear gives 100 KMPH"

you statement..is wrong!.. try doing 100 in 4th if the rpm is 2200 or something..then 2000 rpm in 5th is possible..
Old 30th January 2008, 08:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nice review with all points clearly explained. The FE figures are pretty impressive too.

However, one thing am not able to digest is the absence of the push button boot release. This is a very basic feature and I dont understand why one would have to pay Rs 500 extra to get it fixed from the dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks