Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 09:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

ouch that definitely looks painful , wish CRV car a speedy and economic recovery ! all the more reason to be paranoid when wading through flooded roads.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:51   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Coming to think of it Swift D took to water better than Crv when the wave went over the bonnet first quarter, but the engine never stalled lol
I would say this has also got to do with the driver of the respective vehicles.

Jaggu, whats the amount of damage to the pocket that's staring at you people? I guess i shall conclude with my opinion that the CRV is not just a softroader, its extrasoft.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Dude, it doesn't matter if it is a CR-V or a bloody Toyota Hilux . If water gets into the engine, it'll blow up.

A Made in Japan block retails for ~USD 2000 from a US parts shop without any of the little bits and pieces. A UK block is half the price though. Since the CR-Vs here are JDM, I'm guessing you'll be 1 - 1.5L out of pocket. :(

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 29th May 2009 at 10:06.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

Well now we all know that Honda or Jonga takes in water if it stalls in water. Point proved; sadly !

Can claim insurance right?

But this is not right ,right? do they mention in the manual or so about not to stall/stop your car suddenly in a flood/pool as you drive across?

Need to check Hummy etc's exhaust.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:07   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Dude, it doesn't matter if it is a CR-V or a bloody Toyota Hilux . If water gets into the engine, it'll blow up.
I suppose that was directed at me. I certainly dont refute the second part of your quote, but to me, the CRV is a pretender, and a big time one at that. Tell me one thing it does better than a car/sedan.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:35   #81
gpa
Senior - BHPian

That's some serious damage to the con rods. I still wonder how water entered the engine. The reason being that we had torrential rains here in Bangalore in Oct 2005 and my old Maruti 800 was half submerged (bonnet level) in water as it was parked in my basement.

When I called the emergency guys, the next day, they came, visually inspected the bonnet (water level had receded to the below the door level) and started the car.

Suprisingly, no water had entered the engine despite standing overnight in what was literally about 4 feet of water. How could this have happened to a CRV is what puzzles me.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:42   #82
Team-BHP Support

Because the car was not driven, it didn't take in water. When submerged in water if you try to start, suddenly the water gets sucked which means bye bye engine.

@JKdas. The manual clearly says that if the car stalls when driven through water do not attempt to crank. If the car is cranked all warranty/insurance will be void.

The same thing has happened to my uncles Ford Fiesta.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-trouble.html (Fiesta Trouble!)
Old 29th May 2009, 16:50   #83
BHPian

Jaggu, thats a painful experience. Just wondering, now that it is established that the damage was caused by water, aren't you opting for an Insurance Claim?

Friends, the damage has been done, and like someone mentioned, it will happen in any car, Honda or Jonga. Let's not turn this into a CRV bashing thread please.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I suppose that was directed at me. I certainly dont refute the second part of your quote, but to me, the CRV is a pretender, and a big time one at that. Tell me one thing it does better than a car/sedan.
Did I claim it is an SUV? I didn't, therefore I don't have to justify it as such, as demanded by you.

It may be a softroader, but it is not so because of a softie engine. No engine can compress water and survive.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:48   #85
BHPian

Water in combustion chamber= blown up head+ block cracked+ crank bent like a 5mm steel wire.
The damage is relatively less compared to what it could have been. I have personally seen completely damaged engine due to large quantity of water entering the air intake.
Old 29th May 2009, 19:32   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did I claim it is an SUV? I didn't, therefore I don't have to justify it as such, as demanded by you.

It may be a softroader, but it is not so because of a softie engine. No engine can compress water and survive.
I had clearly mentioned that i was in agreement to the water in engine part. Looks like you missed out on that, in the hurry to jump the gun.

As for justifying the SUV part, i wouldnt mind if you provide the answer since you seem to be the one who thinks its a superior product. So, once again, what exactly is its USP?

@Jaggu : Would insurance cover this kind of damage?
Old 29th May 2009, 19:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As for justifying the SUV part, i wouldnt mind if you provide the answer since you seem to be the one who thinks its a superior product. So, once again, what exactly is its USP?
Where did I say it is superior? Where did I say anything about the vehicle at all? You seem to be missing the gun wholesale.
Old 29th May 2009, 19:55   #88
BHPian

CRV may be a soft roader, but the final bill wont be soft, I guess.
Jaggu, will this be covered under Insurance ?
Old 29th May 2009, 21:09   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While on it, I remember Shantanu had posted a YouTube video long time back which showed a Honda engine working after pouring in water. Of course, I don't expect anyone to mistake that any Honda engine can drink water.

Anyway, as someone mentioned, CRV seems to be really soft softroader.
Old 29th May 2009, 21:28   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where did I say it is superior? Where did I say anything about the vehicle at all? You seem to be missing the gun wholesale.
Looks like you got the gun retailed. Surprisingly, you seem to be quite concerned about the public image of the CRV, but dont want to say anything to support that opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks