Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 23:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

IMHO think too much of unwanted stuff done for a 15,000 km service. For starters Gear oil was not required to start with same with coolant. Both replaced only at 20000 kms at the earliest. Wheel alignment if done outside would be 200 bucks. AC unless you had an issue it was absolutely not required!

Maruti has something called 5 point check and 9 point check, thats all required at 15,000 kms. You should wait for 20 k before you do 20k service at 15k, car is too young.

Brake pads did you check the wear indicator?

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2008 at 23:23.
Old 21st February 2008, 23:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

Why was brake pads required to be changed? You brake very hard?
well i dont brake hard because i cant afford to flatspot my tires, but i do drive fast.

in fact i always pump my brakes.

will sometime post pics of my old pads i have the pads at my place.
At 2 200 for front brake pads thats safety, speed and performance guarrantied man , just cheap if i dont change them + the mechanic who doesn't know me nor how i drive said i had 5 000 km left on them

tarox , EBC , etc say always replace pads when 60 % worn - reason being the thinner the pad the faster they heat and over heat resulting in failure , warped/damaged discs and brake fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
IMHO think too much of unwanted stuff done for a 15,000 km service. For starters Gear oil was not required to start with same with coolant. Both replaced only at 20000 kms at the earliest. Wheel alignment if done outside would be 200 bucks. AC unless you had an issue it was absolutely not required!

Maruti has something called 5 point check and 9 point check, thats all required at 15,000 kms. You should wait for 20 k before you do 20k service at 15k, car is too young.

Brake pads did you check the wear indicator?
my god !! buddy i am already at 18000 km - i anyway changed my gear oil 4 000 km back man. Its 200 odd bucks . I love my car and drive harder than most people i know i cant be cheap with it , she thanks me for it.

200 rs wheel allignment !!! i didnt do that to my 118 NE !!! thats allignment with STRING !!

Jagu : read properly when did I say 15 k ??Busa said that ! My car was serviced at 17600 Km because she needed it what difference does 2000 KM make? For my and my cars well being.
Have a big feeling you and me are very different people when it comes to cars and driving.

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd February 2008 at 00:45. Reason: Please continue to use the same post to record adjacent thoughts
Old 21st February 2008, 23:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
For the first time yesterday got my engine valves adjustment done , very crude stuff they just shoved those thin pieces of metal {with proper gauged thickness} around my cams and claimed that it was fine.

Want a second opinion and i actually thought that the oil had to be drained out of your car in order for the valve s to be adjusted but thats wrong.
Had made a thread on valve adjustment long time ago but nobody helped me.
That's how tappet adjustment is done, thin pieces of metal are known as feeler gauges. You do not need to drain oil, though you can carry out hot or cold adjustment.

Something I don't understand, what is "Paid service : Rs. 700" for? When they have charged labour for every job carried out. Also what is "lubricating brake calliper bush?" And throttle body cleaner is Rs. 505? They used one whole body of TB cleaner?

I need to be more careful when my 20k kms service comes up.
Old 21st February 2008, 23:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

what diff does 2000 km make, then why change gear oil

Hey am not questioning your TLC for your car, trust me i also do that and sometimes go beyond reasoning BUT if the money spent doesnt make a diff to the car it aint worth it is what i feel.

And 200 Rs for the best laser wheel alignment set up, in Bangalore. String method is very costly since very few have that skill these days.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st February 2008 at 23:46. Reason: missing 0 and gunitee :)
Old 21st February 2008, 23:45   #20
Team-BHP Support

Ported the Rs 700 bucks is what i referred to as 9 point check by maruti and anything apart from those 9 points are billed separate. Aint that convenient lol, sad fact all dealership and authorized workshop follow the same model for most of the manufacturers.
Old 21st February 2008, 23:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
That's how tappet adjustment is done, thin pieces of metal are known as feeler gauges. You do not need to drain oil, though you can carry out hot or cold adjustment.

Something I don't understand, what is "Paid service : Rs. 700" for? When they have charged labour for every job carried out. Also what is "lubricating brake calliper bush?" And throttle body cleaner is Rs. 505? They used one whole body of TB cleaner?

I need to be more careful when my 20k kms service comes up.

used BG Air Intake System Cleaner for the first time its killa : my exhaust was smoking ! ! then it spat out water -around 40 ml of it : ]
bgprod.com
Air Intake System = throttle body yeah

as for the brakes i think they charged me labour of 700 that included bleeding with a wurth machine , opening inspecting and cleaning my drums AND brake pad change for the front along with grease where needed.
Thanks for the valve adjustment gyaan man :]

PS : they charged me twice for gear oil will get back to them for that

PS 2 : i asked for all of this very specifically , knew what was needed and required. Supervised every bit of it stopped the mechanic from making dumb mistakes 6 times !!

Quote:
Ported the Rs 700 bucks is what i referred to as 9 point check by maruti and anything apart from those 9 points are billed separate. Aint that convenient lol, sad fact all dealership and authorized workshop follow the same model for most of the manufacturers.

9 point check up , HAH ! look in your manual see what they [ official maruti ] say needs to be done at 20 000 service - then see the 9 point check list which dealers provide

700 is a charge purely for getting a paid [ not free ] service done at S & S

Quote:
What all was done that the bill came to 17600, you dont treat your car well or what that it required so many changes or you drive around at full throttle?
if you read the VERY 1 st post half decently you would have seen this:-

total bill was 15100 rs excluding the
oil-ows + oil filter-K&N + oil flush-ows + radiator flush-tectaloy = 15,100 + 5200 = 20 300 rs + ows gas treatment rs 600

Quote:
what diff does 2000 km make, then why change gear oil

BUT if the money spent doesnt make a diff to the car it aint worth it is what i feel.

And 200 Rs for the best laser wheel alignment set up, in Bangalore. String method is very costly since very few have that skill these days.
1 st i agree with you on " BUT if the money spent doesnt make a diff to the car it aint worth it is what i feel."
it did and does make a difference

string method a skill !! ??? happens all over mumbai and it costs 200 bucks just lamblasted a friend for doing it in his ikon even though he said the car felt alligned

ps : like i said 10 mins back i any way changed the gear oil at 14000 km . Why ? because i felt it needed it and man it felt SO SO SO much smoother after i just changed the gearoil at 14 000 km it was not funny. Maruti says change it only at 20 000 KM

PS2: putting in synthetic gearoil sooner than later rs 1800 a lt. OWS synthetic gearoil the only gear oil which i can find which is synthetic and gl 4 rated !

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd February 2008 at 00:17. Reason: Please continue to use the same post to record adjacent thoughts
Old 22nd February 2008, 00:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

lol i know the list and the points for 20 k kms service, i was not referring to that, rather the way dealers bill. when you go back for double bill for gear oil, try getting some more info and understand the same.

the water 40 ml that came from exhaust is due to condensation, which any well tuned engine at start up/cold engine will give out. This is specially true for MPFI engines.

Am glad at the work done and inspired by the excitement, but am tired and hitting the good ol sack for the day. Will entertain each other some other time.

cheers
Jaggu
Old 22nd February 2008, 00:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
string method a skill !! ??? happens all over mumbai and it costs 200 bucks just lamblasted a friend for doing it in his ikon even though he said the car felt alligned
Come on man! You can't be this critical of everything that is not done with a machine. I know somebody who will get alignment done by strings better than somebody at a random tyre shop will do with an alignment machine. The guy at Saifee Tyres does alignment with a pipe, and there are not many people I have heard complain.

The equipment is only as good as the operator using it.
Old 22nd February 2008, 00:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Come on man! You can't be this critical of everything that is not done with a machine. I know somebody who will get alignment done by strings better than somebody at a random tyre shop will do with an alignment machine. The guy at Saifee Tyres does alignment with a pipe, and there are not many people I have heard complain.

The equipment is only as good as the operator using it.

listen man that maybe true but chances of a hunter error free alignment system making a mistake is FAR less than a human with a pipe. Besides i am not that cheap to leave a service station and go get my tires and wheels balanced and aligned somewhere else not to mention the fuel wasted while doing so.
Also they have a dedicated bunch of guys that only do alignment/balancing. So im pretty sure they knew what they were doing.Also for the first time in 3000 Km and 2 different alignment guys later my car is finally going in a straight line .so they did a very good job AKAIK. { my new rim-tire package helped tremendously }
+
i dont go to " somebody at a random tyre shop with an alignment machine.'

Quote:

the water 40 ml that came from exhaust is due to condensation, which any well tuned engine at start up/cold engine will give out. This is specially true for MPFI engines.

Am glad at the work done and inspired by the excitement, but am tired and hitting the good ol sack for the day. Will entertain each other some other time.

cheers
Jaggu

how often does your car give it out at startup? Only a really clean engine would do that.Dont even think mine does that 1 st thing in the day but i dont rev hard at my first startup either way NOR have i checked. But the water came after my decarb and the BG Air Intake System Cleaner. Meaning no water even after the decarb but water after the BG which was done after the de carb

i am not doing this to entertain you , trust me ,maybe just to prove a point AND defend myself .

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd February 2008 at 00:47. Reason: Pl note that once posted, a post can be edited for upto 20 mins from that time. Trust there's clarity on this.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:13   #25
BHPian

Killer :-
Sikand Standley Enterprises (Pvt.) Ltd.
A 5, 44, Amrita, Sher Gill Marg
New Delhi-110 003 India
011-91-11-2463-5146 Phone
011-91-11-2469-7563 Fax

thats the BG guy for india.
Very impressed with the Throttle body cleaner AKA BG Air Intake System Cleaner.
Welcome to BG Products, Inc.
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Killer :-
Sikand Standley Enterprises (Pvt.) Ltd.
A 5, 44, Amrita, Sher Gill Marg
New Delhi-110 003 India
011-91-11-2463-5146 Phone
011-91-11-2469-7563 Fax

thats the BG guy for india.
Very impressed with the Throttle body cleaner AKA BG Air Intake System Cleaner.
Welcome to BG Products, Inc.
have to say when i say "Throttle body cleaner AKA BG Air Intake System Cleaner."
its not a spray its a liquid which is sprayed into your TB [ VIA a required machine ] while your car is running .Takes 20 mins .
Some people were confused and its the 1 st time i had heard of it or seen it or used it .
Its for the inside s not just the TB or butterfly valve or whatever its called.
cheers

Last edited by cyneverdie : 22nd February 2008 at 04:59.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how often does your car give it out at startup? Only a really clean engine would do that.Dont even think mine does that 1 st thing in the day but i dont rev hard at my first startup either way NOR have i checked. But the water came after my decarb and the BG Air Intake System Cleaner. Meaning no water even after the decarb but water after the BG which was done after the de carb

i am not doing this to entertain you , trust me ,maybe just to prove a point AND defend myself .

a) the string comment was total sarcasm from my side
b) my car is diesel, if water comes its konked!!
c) all my other cars used to do tail pipe emissions loaded with H2O at start up, coz i keep them tuned. Its nothing to do with "clean", its proper tuning.

When you idle for throttle body clean, carb clean/purge the vapor condenses inside end can and when you rev afterwards it comes out. Thats all.

Finally reason why i took the effort to reply to your post?

There are lot of NON experts amongst us (including me to an extent) and i wouldnt want anyone to be misguided. Yes 20k kms is a major service and going by dealer recommendation it will be expensive compare to rest of service BUT it neednt be as Exorbitant as your bills.

Finally you have chosen some very good products to pamper the car, am not disputing it. But if you say that its the only reason for amazing results, am not convinced.

This is purely my experience which i am sharing, no need to defend anything or prove a point to me. You are the owner of your car and you know best.

cya
Jaggu
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But if you say that its the only reason for amazing results, am not convinced.
You have just gone overboard with the service. Quite a few things didnot need replacement and doing what all you have done will lead to very marginal increase in performance. Instead get a Turbo or something if you really want performance.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
You have just gone overboard with the service. Quite a few things didnot need replacement and doing what all you have done will lead to very marginal increase in performance. Instead get a Turbo or something if you really want performance.
Quite a few things didnot need replacement and doing what all you have done will lead to very marginal increase in performance - like what man? be specific. and i cant afford 2 - 4 lakhs for a good turbo set up. And especially if i did go turbo then a service like this would be required.

But be specific with what didnt need replacement.I would love to hear this man.

PS : i rather go high compression than turbo on THIS car. Can get the same power gains as gembella without a turbo plus it would be more reliable

Last edited by cyneverdie : 22nd February 2008 at 15:42.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Feel let down by them and by fahad too for a shoddy job.
the them i referred to was speedworksindia

i must say the ONLY issue i have is that they didnt direct me to a plug gapping machine , which IS available in bombay.

gapping by hand [ which was not done by them , but done by someone JD Madan highly recommended ] did ruin my plugs.
Live and learn i guess , but its all good. Still will go back to them and still do have faith in them.
Thats all i wanted to say before people misunderstand.
cheers people

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks