Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 18:16   #16
BHPian

This is a white board.

Its huge yes, The wheels also attribute to the size.
Old 27th February 2008, 19:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey Brat the car is looking too tempting to go for a Off roading drive immediately.

By seeing the tyres and alloys the ride will be a one good long remembering drive on this vehicle.

Put on the extra lamps on the top and that will give more look to the vehicle and make it neighbours envy.

Enjoy the drive and post some more pictures
Old 27th February 2008, 20:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
This is a white board.

Its huge yes, The wheels also attribute to the size.
Interesting. I recollect being told by an 'experienced' auto consultant, couple of years back, that any vehicle which can be used for moving material cannot be put on white board - reason being that people will tend to register with white board (to save on tax) and use as a transport carrier.

Was there ever a rule like this or was I taken for a ride?

and yes, those tyres look mean. Very muscular I say, very! Follow Gowda79's instructions and be ready to be called for the next 'Search & Rescue' operation by Bangalore Fire Brigade! :-)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 27th February 2008 at 20:58.
Old 27th February 2008, 21:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HappyWheels : I recollect being told ... that any vehicle which can be used for moving material cannot be put on white board - reason being that people will tend to register with white board (to save on tax) and use as a transport carrier.
While this rule is there, there are exceptions. Crew-cabs are allowed as white-boards. Single cabs were allowed as white-boards till about 2003. But .:

I recently saw a Mahindra Maxi Pick-up as a white-board (and not regd to a Govt body). (Note: the Maxi Pick-up is a recent single-cab 1 tonne pick-up from M&M). There is possibly an exception where in you can register such a vehicle as a white-board if you can prove your requirement - like if you have a farm. I am trying to get clarity on this, but havent found much data to support this.

Last edited by condor : 27th February 2008 at 21:27.
Old 27th February 2008, 21:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Interesting. I recollect being told by an 'experienced' auto consultant, couple of years back, that any vehicle which can be used for moving material cannot be put on white board - reason being that people will tend to register with white board (to save on tax) and use as a transport carrier.

Was there ever a rule like this or was I taken for a ride?

and yes, those tyres look mean. Very muscular I say, very! Follow Gowda79's instructions and be ready to be called for the next 'Search & Rescue' operation by Bangalore Fire Brigade! :-)
A couple of years back [time when the old 207 tatamobile was around] one could register a transport vehicle even with private passing [white plate ] but that vehicle had to be used only to carry private loads like farm good or delivery of loads from one location to another location of the same company [strictly that and no other stuff could be loaded , of any other party] if caught there was a huge fine and the goods where confiscated.
But with change in the transport policy with the change in government, this rule is canceled and a new rule is introduced that states only passenger vehicle will be aloud to be registered as private, [but there are some states and cities ] ,The TL is jump seats in the back for registration purpose [which are usually removed the day vehicle is registered].
Also according to the new rules, commercial vehicle are exempted from the strict emission norms [they are one stage lower than the cars,SUVs, etc].
The engine in the TL is BS 2 and now stage3.
And than there is the case of local transport authority, if a vehicle is registered as private it can travel to any state without any permit to other state, where as a commercial vehicle has to have permit to the state it is traveling to other than the registered state [read revenue].
But cities like belgaum in Karnataka, punjab the 207 DI can be registered as private ...as I mentioned it depends on the local transport authority.
Old 27th February 2008, 22:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dinar : The TL is jump seats in the back for registration purpose [which are usually removed the day vehicle is registered].
Sounds familiar - the total seating capapcity of the vehicle is counted inclusive of the jump seats/benches that can be installed in the cargo bay.
Quote:
dinar : But cities like belgaum in Karnataka, punjab the 207 DI can be registered as private ...as I mentioned it depends on the local transport authority.
Rules are specific to the state - not just a particular city. If what you say was true, one could easily show "proof" of residence in Belgaum & register the vehicle as a white-board.

Last edited by condor : 27th February 2008 at 22:21.
Old 28th February 2008, 14:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

@condor , I know that the rules are specific to states and not cities, but this is the fact, I was studying in Belgaum and Had found out from the Tata dealer out there as I wanted one, and in goa or maharatra the 207DI is not allowed as private passing, but in belgaum this was registered with white plates, but most of the other city/town in karnataka this is not the case, I was shocked to find out this too....
Also the vehicle has to be shown by the manufacturer as passenger vehicle, an individual can not do this by just bolting on seats in the bay.
Old 28th February 2008, 14:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

dinar, you do see how illogical the dealer's argument is.

When did you get this info, and which dealer in BGM ?
Old 28th February 2008, 18:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Condor, I have a 1997 Tatamobile Crew cab with the Non-Turbo engine. They had the passenger version with the seats in cargo bay and a frame/canvas top over the cargo area. The goods version with an open cargo bay, i.e with no seats. Since I didn't want the seats and canvas top I ordered the goods version. The RTO initially gave me some grief about not being able to give private plates for it but eventually he did allow private plates on my pick up.
Old 28th February 2008, 18:21   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nice ride @brat001:
What were your reasons for buying a truck with a pick-up bed?
And why did you pick the crew-cab?
Ram
Old 28th February 2008, 18:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
This is my ride.

Tata Telcoline 4x2.

Driven by passion and completed 23000 kms.
Moderator Note:

Please be informed that typing 3 lines and and posting 4 pictures of your personal vehicle (stock 4x2!!) doesn't constitute as material to start a new thread in either 4x4 or in long term review sections.

We have decided let this be on a one time basis since its gotten quite a few hits. Ideally this is something that should go in the garage section. The whole idea of the garage is to prevent these "Hey guys, check out my car" type of threads.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th February 2008 at 19:27.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4x4addict : I have a 1997 Tatamobile Crew cab with the Non-Turbo engine. ....
The RTO initially gave me some grief about not being able to give private plates for it but eventually he did allow private plates on my pick up.
4x4addict, The RTO chaps seemed to have been playing around. White-board registrations for such load carriers were allowed in 1997.

This was changed much later - possibly 2003. I have seen even 207 DI Single cabs with white-board registrations. But these are very rare. Today, only Crew-cabs are allowed the privilige of a white-board registration.

Also, the 207 never came with a turbo engine (at least in India). Only the TL now has it.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
dinar, you do see how illogical the dealer's argument is.

When did you get this info, and which dealer in BGM ?
I got this info two years back , from "Manikbhag" [sorry if the spelling is wrong].
I was looking at buying the 207DI crewcab, but than there was a thing of me staying in goa and goa RTO had problem with it, so had to drop the idea. and than the TL was launched in India, had a test drive did like it, than saw the new xenon on CNBC, and still waiting.

Last edited by dinar : 28th February 2008 at 21:49.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4x4addict, The RTO chaps seemed to have been playing around. White-board registrations for such load carriers were allowed in 1997.

This was changed much later - possibly 2003. I have seen even 207 DI Single cabs with white-board registrations. But these are very rare. Today, only Crew-cabs are allowed the privilige of a white-board registration.

Also, the 207 never came with a turbo engine (at least in India). Only the TL now has it.
In the days of tatamobile this rule was not s tricked [or may be non existent one may say ] the initial days even the single cab was allowed with white plates , than people started buying these and converting them to either estates,saloons [Mercedes look a likes, quit a few are still going around in mumbai ], and than the government got serious with the rule...and also as I mentioned the emission rule plays a big role now days, mainly in big cities
Old 29th February 2008, 15:37   #30
BHPian

ignazio: the bullbar is part fiber and part metal, avaliable locally.. im sure that you can get better bull bars there..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks