Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 09:17   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.

@Rudra & @Mahesh: I think the material is called Chemiform. It actually works well and stops the heat from engine bay entering to the cabin. We have used it in our Ambassador and the difference was really noticeable.

Take a look at 105647893_850d3b5c0b_b.jpg - Hindustan Ambassador 1983 Mark IV and 105664922_3e6c53695c_b.jpg - Hindustan Ambassador 1983 Mark IV
Old 26th April 2011, 11:28   #197
BHPian

@Experthand - Thermocol will stop the heat and noise,but i cant fit the things in the bottom near the gear box.But anyway ,thanks for your reply,its been useful and i will try that.

@Rudra : The Power steering pump will be fitted above the timing belt area.That is almost near the radiator top level.The belt will be fitted from the engine pully and it is a separate belt (Not with the normal Mechnaical fan belt).So that we can remove the power steering belt easily,So Mechanics will fit like this.

Now when the engine starts, the power (Load) of the belt will be more.Since the pump is fitted in the top level,the load from the bottom will be more.The belt will pull the pump downwards while rotating.So the clamp (Metal) in which the pump fitted need to be very strong.It need to hold the pump in a position not to go downwards.

I will attach my engine bay area clip,so that you can easily get what i say.

But once fitted you will feel a great pleasure to drive an Amby.You will feel lot more comfortable when you driving in roads which is not maintained.You will never feel a vibration or dug sounds in your steering wheel.

Are you fitting a new HM Power steering unit or an used one.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 26th April 2011 at 11:35. Reason: additional points
Old 26th April 2011, 14:08   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
I will attach my engine bay area clip,so that you can easily get what i say.
Thanks, that'll be of great help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar
Are you fitting a new HM Power steering unit or an used one.
It's a new unit.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:29   #199
BHPian

Hi Mr.Rudra,
I will post the images by this week end,since this week i left my Amby in my Native itself.Weekly once i will travel CBE to Bnglr.This week due to some Crown work I left it in my native.

I have one major issue in my car,Overheating when switched on AC and even sometimes without switching the AC also afternoon times am getting above 80 Degrees Temperature.(Am having the electric(HM) fan in front).
My AC Mechanic told to mix 1:1 ratio of coolant with water in Radiator.He adamantly says It will solve the issue.

No Mechanic is ready to fit a thermostat in Ambassador.Replies are ,Due to fast rust formation this cant be done.

Engine Oil Level also in the right level.Radiator is brand New.
I have also check the Sensor which is in near to the water pump.

Mine is Imported ISUZU G1 non turbo 2400cc engine -- Fully reworked - 30000 Kms done after rework.Fine Pick up,Performance is very very good.But this heating problem is bit frustrating.

Kindly ask you mechanic regarding this issue.What may be the cause of this.Whether 90-100 Degress is ok.Only thing which was left is,i need to change the meter for the temperature.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 28th April 2011 at 18:35. Reason: Sentence check
Old 28th April 2011, 18:36   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kindly ask you mechanic regarding this issue.What may be the cause of this.Whether 90 Degress is ok.Only thing i need to do is to change the meter for the temperature.
90 degree sounds ok and it also could be temp gauge issue. However I'll surely check with Gopal about this and get back. He's currently out of town and back only on Sunday evening.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:03   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rudra - you shall always have my "all kinds of" support. First of all, my apologies for not replying for some time due to work, work and more work (you all know what that is!).

I am sure old man Gopal knows what he is doing, his body language conveys it clearly. I am happy to see that all the trim has been removed. This is the correct way. I hope they have been marked and preserved in plastic bags. Please arrange to remove all the wiring harness / trim parts hanging out there. The body shell must be stripped down to the last brake bundy tube. Next, as you are replacing the load bearing members at the front of the body shell, it is extremely important to align the new long members / front cross member with the old rears members which are thankfully OK. Although Gopal understands this in his own quintessential way, you need to check the chassis cross dimensions and confirm that the squareness of the chassis is integrated into the system. Normally, we make jigs for such work. In R&D, we can do anything, outside it is easier said than done but there can be no compromise in this area. However, you have an advantage as you are doing only one car, so you can do what you want. Here, we do not have that luxury. Please take a conscious call now and add gussets in critical areas like control arm / shock absorber mounting locations. The idea is to optimize the bending and torsional stiffness of the body shell.

There is another area where you can make a difference on how you work on your car during restoration. I am sharing this with you as it happened to me during restoration of my 1967 Fiat 1100 Delight MRF6466. The body shell integrity was basically OK as the single owner car had covered only 27000 odd kilometers from 1967 to September 2008 when I bought it (works out to only 660 kms per year). The car was painted badly a couple of times and a lot of small holes were there all over the floor / dash area. During my restoration, I changed all doors, engine hood and tail boot, went down to absolute bare metal and completed the whole job in around 5 months. What is important is that during this time, I had to spend many days just sealing the body joineries and blocking at least 150 little holes in the floor which were made to hold the old rubber mats in place by using self tapping screws. It was a dirty job which I had to essentially undo. Each and every seam was sealed, each and every old and rusted self tapping screw was removed by heating and melting and then each hole was filled in by welding before underfloor coating could commence. The biggest headache was that I had to physically stand there and do it, we all know how garages work. I suggest you do the same, as you are going to keep the car forever, it is worth the effort. The intention is that when the body shell goes in for paint, you should see it as if it is a new car body shell going in for paint. When the body shell emerges from paint, you can stand there and quietly smile at the differentiation you have achieved with respect to what most others do out there.

I have seen the power steering as mounted. Please ensure the integrity / stiffness of the body mounting brackets, otherwise the whole assembly will shift during use. Please finish off any rework on the dash panel's removable center part before starting paint. I think in one photograph, Gopal is holding the ackerman arm. It is possible that by design, the length of this arm will be different. Please ensure design intent of the power steering pump mountings is respected and all hoses are properly routed and clipped. Avoid acute angle bends as far as possible. Please finish off all mechanicals before paint. I suggest you complete the car, drive it once, get satisfied that things are in place before you paint.

Somewhere you have mentioned that the crankshaft center line is changed to accommodate the power steering gear. Please be extremely careful as any error here can affect performance.

Please post more photographs. I will give further comments.

Coolant temperature of 90 degrees C is OK if the syatem is pressurized and there is no coolant loss at all. Of course, using a degassing tank is the perfect solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th April 2011, 17:57   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I tell you these two ol men are a bad combination and am sure Gopal learning Hindi (more and more he communicates direct with Rudra) is becoming a problem But yes i feel steering and engine mount will be ready by next week and platform in a week or two. Then the painting action starts.

Already Gopal has set his expectations clear with Sai Colorium
It should be the other way round. Rudra has to learn Kannada or Tamil for better communication

I was shocked to see this thread. Wow, work in progress is very crisp.

I feel, its better to Put the car back atleast COSMETICALLY to what it was in its Heydays..... Period Exterior with Modern Interiors and Drivetrain . What say Rudra sir.....?

With Gopal sir, the car will come out Great for sure. The only other person in town who's AS GOOD AS Gopal is Krishna's Garage at Ulsoor. Both are STICKLERS for Perfection.

About Sai Colorium - They are GOOD.

BUT... I feel its always better to DRILL into their brains about the Quantity of Body Filler used and STRICTLY NO METAL PASTE (They have the tendency to use more body Filler than required)

Wishing Rudra All the best in this Restoration.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:35   #203
BHPian

Mr.Rudhra,
I have attached my engine bay area image.
Arrow 1 :
There you can see the power steering belt is pulling the pump downwards.
Arrow 2 :
The mount in which the pump has fitted (Mine is already broken and welded one) will hold the pump from the backwards.In idle speed of engine,the engine will be in dancing mode,the vibration will be bit high and in higher RPMs that mount need to hold a lot of pressure.It will make the pump to stand still,where in other end the belt will give the load to the pump for rotation.

The green round is the area where mine was welded.It broken into two pieces.

Note : No maintanence for last 1 month due to heavy work,so the engine area will be bit dusty

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-new.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-photo0101.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-new1.jpg  

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 2nd May 2011 at 22:37. Reason: extra words
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:44   #204
Team-BHP Support

One big difference. Rudra has a petrol engine Amby
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:15   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I have seen the power steering as mounted. Please ensure the integrity / stiffness of the body mounting brackets, otherwise the whole assembly will shift during use. Please finish off any rework on the dash panel's removable center part before starting paint.
Dhabhar, steering box is not mounted but just been placed. Engine is also just sitting on the mount and not bolted. Mounts have to come down an inch or so. Otherwise there won’t be any room to access that steering box. Integrity/stiffness of the body mounting brackets will only be welded once the whole transmission line in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
I think in one photograph, Gopal is holding the ackerman arm. It is possible that by design, the length of this arm will be different. Please ensure design intent of the power steering pump mountings is respected and all hoses are properly routed and clipped. Avoid acute angle bends as far as possible.
I suppose you’re talking about Ackermann steering geometry. And yes, I also know that handling can go all over if that geometry is not correct. Below is the drawing as I know. Please correct me if I’m going wrong anywhere. Any mistake in this area can prove costly later.

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ackermann.jpg

Quote:
Please finish off all mechanicals before paint. I suggest you complete the car, drive it once, get satisfied that things are in place before you paint.
Absolutely. Painting is a cosmetic part here.
Quote:
Somewhere you have mentioned that the crankshaft center line is changed to accommodate the power steering gear. Please be extremely careful as any error here can affect performance.
Below I’ve tried to explain what I mean.

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-space.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It should be the other way round. Rudra has to learn Kannada or Tamil for better communication
I have Jaggu as full time interpreter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
I feel, its better to Put the car back atleast COSMETICALLY to what it was in its Heydays..... Period Exterior with Modern Interiors and Drivetrain . What say Rudra sir?
Don’t know how much I can stick to this thought but let’s see anyway. Pavan, this is going to be my regular ride, hence all these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
BUT... I feel its always better to DRILL into their brains about the Quantity of Body Filler used and STRICTLY NO METAL PASTE (They have the tendency to use more body Filler than required)
They won’t do that. Ananth (Sai Colorium) is sending his team to Gopal’s workshop. They’ll probably start the body preparation job there with Gopal’s instructions.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:05   #206
BHPian

@Jaggu
I know its a petrol unit,whether the area to fit the pump will differ?

Anyway,after the completion,kindly update the pictures.
Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:18   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Jaggu
I know its a petrol unit,whether the area to fit the pump will differ?

Anyway,after the completion,kindly update the pictures.
Thanks.
Position might not change (though am not sure), but definitely the load and vibration will differ.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:24   #208
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned on my thread. Gopal severely short staffed! Nevertheless he is working on your Amby all by himself. Here is todays stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-20110510_001.jpg  

Shubz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 00:56   #209
Team-BHP Support

The beauty of this man is that he can be a tinkerer, painter, mechanic all by himself! Does not have any qualms to take the tool in hand and just go about in his obsessive compulsive fashion
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 12:36   #210
BHPian

Mr.Rudhra,
Have you asked Mr.Gopal about the heating problems which i told you before.Last week i tried coolant also and the AC switched on in the highways,it was fine and the temperature is 80 to 85 degrees.

But in the city,the temperature goes more than 100+.I switched of the AC.I understand clearly that the water is not getting cool.Its been very sad for me.

What about you car,whether the temperature is maintained in 80 to 90 in cities when AC switched on.

My plan is to remove the electric fan which was in front of condensor and try to fit in front of radiator...

Most Viewed