Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 22:31   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Any updates/progress?
Car is going through painting process. Knowing Gopal, that will also take some time. I need to make a proper visit soon and many more in near future. Every trip to Bangalore costs me 25k plus.. Can't really add that to my Amby restoration cost I know.

This time I hope to add some more work pics. Just don't know when the car is going to roll out.

But just wait. This one is going to be a real eye popper.

Sounds arrogant I know but I know It'll be.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 18:33   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Haha dada, you mean it wasn't already? Am waiting to see it too. In the meanwhile, how about sharing some pics on what's been happening?

Cheers,

G
Old 21st September 2012, 15:51   #258
BHPian

I have spent my childhood playing around a similar car.

My Grandpa owned a Mark II in Trivandrum which was passed on Dad and subsequently to his brother as Dad had shifted to Mumbai for his job. I recall that our car had a black paint with the dish type steering wheel, slim steering mounted gear, chrome horn ring, red & light grey seat cover. I loved the beautiful grill which encapsulated the parking lights. Grandpa was a car lover and maintained his cars in spic and span condition.

On my visit to Trivandrum during vacations, we used to visit our Kuladeivam (family deity) temple at Valliyur near Thirunalveli in the very same car. I used to occupy the place right next to the driver on the bench. The drive used to be a riot for us kids.

Though our family in Trivandrum had quite a good number of cars (Buick, Studebaker, Morris Minor), the Amby and our Fargo truck were special for me. I used to play with them and even talk to them day in day out.

The car was then left to rot and was subsequently sold as scrap because my uncle had purchased a new maruti 800 (the SS80 back then).

As I type this post, tears are rolling down my eyes in remembrance of my first stint with any automobile. Your car brought back lost memories of my childhood & our mark II.

I hope this post isn't too off-topic on this thread. Hope to see your car fully restored soon. All the best for the restoration
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 13:12   #259
BHPian

Rudra Saab,

Glued to your thread. Fabulous workmanship boss, amazing!
I'm interested in rebuilding an amby from scratch, shove an innova power train into it, do the interiors to my taste coupled with a nice music system and own it for life.
Is it feasible?
Do you have any lead to similar Gopals in Chennai, bhaiyya?

Cheers
Old 29th November 2012, 22:45   #260

Hi Rudra,

I had always wondered whose car was this whenever I saw it on the Team BHP. Good for you bro. Thats a wonderful job you have done. I have my eye on a 1969 Mark 2 - original blue color with the pull plug start system with the lights in a center rotary switch. Once I lay my hands on this will come to you for advice.

Thanks in advance Bro.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd December 2012 at 21:56.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:46   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car is going through painting process. Knowing Gopal, that will also take some time. I need to make a proper visit soon and many more in near future. Every trip to Bangalore costs me 25k plus.. Can't really add that to my Amby restoration cost I know.

This time I hope to add some more work pics. Just don't know when the car is going to roll out.

Dear Rudra,

Its been 3 Months now.

Is there an update ? May br Jaggu/Shubz can check the progress on your behalf ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:52   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Dear Rudra,

Its been 3 Months now.

Is there an update ? May br Jaggu/Shubz can check the progress on your behalf ?
He he m car same mech. No updates for 3 years. 3 months is nothing.
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:54   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Its been 3 Months now.
Correction, It is 1 year and 11 months to be exact..

I just didn't get time to visit Bangalore for more than 6 months now. Hoping to do that asap. Some more money has to be pumped in.

If everything goes alright, I expect to see her on the road by January end.

It's dragging for a long due to various reasons. I'm sorry..
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 12:37   #264
BANNED

Long Wait with lot more exitement to see the LEGEND Back on Road. Anyways another two months ....
sivadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 11:27   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correction, It is 1 year and 11 months to be exact. I just didn't get time to visit Bangalore for more than 6 months now. Hoping to do that asap. Some more money has to be pumped in. If everything goes alright, I expect to see her on the road by January end. It's dragging for a long due to various reasons. I'm sorry.
Dear Rudra - I can understand. We just cannot find more than 24 hours in a day. I am in the same predicament. I am in Pune. My "family heirloom" never to be sold 1990 Maruti 800 is getting completely restored in Mumbai. I spend every Sunday in the garage. Alas! Anyways, best of luck with your Ambassador but please don't compromise, no matter what effort it takes. It is going to be the best Amby in the country by far, I know it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th December 2012, 16:54   #266
BHPian

Guys

I was wondering whether it is possible to install an Innova's D-4D power train in a 4 decade old ambassador? If this is feasible, then whether the existing amby rear axle would be sufficient or a differential swap is required? Can somebody throw light on the same?

Thanks
W_C
Old 5th March 2013, 19:47   #267
BHPian

Hi Rudra ,

Any updates on the reincarnation of your Ambassador. Eagerly waiting for the pictures and updates since I have a very similar plan to upgrade my HM Ambassador 2008 Model . Always have been and will always be a true fan of Ambassadors .

Regards
AK
Old 11th April 2013, 12:15   #268
BHPian

Hi Rudra,
How is the work progressing on the Amby?Desperately awaiting updates with the Photographs.Although this is an extensive overhaul, It will be well worth the effort.
My experience with amby's has a lot to do with the fact that my industrialist uncle still sticks with the car although it is a really old one(1.8 ISZ) in Chennai. The list also includes another Uncle who is a mechanical Engineer , earns a ton of money but would rather prefer to mend his amby with his own two hands whenever possible.

Since my childhood i had a special place for this car in my heart. Till Date, if you land at Tirunelveli Railway station there is fleet of Amby's waiting as taxis to take you to the rural-most villages. The ride comfort is nothing short of a hovercraft(you seriously feel cushioned on a platform of air.
Recently i had to go to my native place to attend my maternal uncle's wedding, the amby literally cradled me to sleep even though the road conditions are pathetic.

Hope your amby gets restored pretty soon.
wishing you a lot more of happiness driving around in the Amby!

Regards,
Old 11th April 2013, 13:06   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopash View Post
Hi Rudra ,

Any updates on the reincarnation of your Ambassador. Eagerly waiting for the pictures and updates since I have a very similar plan to upgrade my HM Ambassador 2008 Model . Always have been and will always be a true fan of Ambassadors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ofil4us View Post
Hi Rudra,
How is the work progressing on the Amby?Desperately awaiting updates with the Photographs.Although this is an extensive overhaul, It will be well worth the effort.
So very sorry to take this long time. For a change it is completely my fault. Just didn't get any time to make a visit there. Body work is complete I believe and they've gone ahead with first step of painting work. Now I need to be there for sometime soon.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 13:59   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. Body work is complete I believe and they've gone ahead with first step of painting work...
Good to know that there is progress on your Amby ...any WIP pictures, Rudra Sen ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks